- We had our first baby in a hospital and dh had to drive us home. He had never driven with a baby in the car, nevermind HIS baby. I've never seen the man drive sooooo sloooooowly in my life! I asked him why he was going so slowly (as in, 15 miles an hour on a 25 mph road....30 mph on a 45mph road, etc.) and he said, "There's a BABY in the car!" I laughed and said, so when you were driving your precious wife around in the car, you'd drive like a fool, but now that there's a BABY...."
- He thought it was fun to lay on his back and hold the baby above him, making baby smile....until baby spit up into dh's mouth.
- Dh kept saying, "Are you sure..." making sure the baby was ok. I told him to trust me on the parenting thing (I had been babysitting since age 12) and that I'd trust him on the breastfeeding thing (he's the son of a LLL Leader, I'd seen two people breastfeed infants in my entire lifetime).
- Onesies...The first time my dh dressed our son in an outfit involving a onesie he snapped it on over the pants. I had to explain to him that it's basically a shirt that snaps between the legs, then the pants go on...so the "shirt" doesn't ride up an make baby's belly cold. So teach him how onesies work, what is the back and the front of a dress, how stockings/tights work, etc.
- He thought he's break the baby. It took him a while to get used to holding someone that tiny and to build up the confidence in himself that he could actually take care of another (helpess) human being. He's a great dad!