What is it about locker rooms... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 04-26-2005, 05:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
That make people feel so free to be 'a natural' :LOL

I go to a health club every day to exercise. Out on the gym floor we all wear clothes (some more than others, mind you!) but as soon as you hit the locker room, you're hard pressed to find someone with clothes on. Doesn't bother me one bit, I much prefer not wearing clothes , however, I can think of no other place this would be acceptable.

I don't know if the men's room is like this...my husband won't go, and I would bet my right arm, he woult NOT walk around sans clothing.

But in the ladies locker room, we are all chatting it up in the spa, putting on make up and doing hair with out our shirts on, and exchanging recipes and talking kids while in the steam room.

Can you imagine this happening anywhere else? For instance, my neighboor and I go for a jog in the evening, and them after come into my living room, toss off our clothes and get a glass of water while relaxing on the couch :LOL It's just not socially acceptable, so why in the locker room is it Birthday Suit city?
#2 of 13 Old 04-26-2005, 06:11 PM

LOL! I used to belong to a gym and I wondered the same thing. My DMIL was so grossed out by it! She refused to get into the hot tub (naked) with all the other naked women. At first I thought it was odd, but then I embraced it! I was another naked weirdo in the hot tub! Good thing we never went together.

Dh would call it "Adam Hour."

I don't know if the men's locker room was the same, dh never went. I would imagine so. A lot of men naked in the hot tub seems gross. Maybe just to me. Maybe it depends on the men!

Funny thread!

G
#3 of 13 Old 04-26-2005, 06:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dawg
LOL! I used to belong to a gym and I wondered the same thing. My DMIL was so grossed out by it! She refused to get into the hot tub (naked) with all the other naked women. At first I thought it was odd, but then I embraced it! I was another naked weirdo in the hot tub! Good thing we never went together.

Dh would call it "Adam Hour."

I don't know if the men's locker room was the same, dh never went. I would imagine so. A lot of men naked in the hot tub seems gross. Maybe just to me. Maybe it depends on the men!

Funny thread!

G
Today while in the spa I was thinking "this is like taking one big family bath" :LOL

When I first started going I wore my swim suit...but then I felt like the dorky new girl who was to shy to bare it all...so now I am 'one of them!'

Truthfully what I worry about most is that my milk will let down while I am without shirt, and I will be that instead of that dorky shy girl, I will be that milk spraying weirdo!
#4 of 13 Old 04-26-2005, 06:33 PM

I would be with your Dmil. I hate to say it, but that grosses me out. Mainly because I have some deep seated body issues from past abuse.

To me, being nude= being very vulnerable. I don't take my clothes off in front of anyone in ANY public place.

This is one the things i loathe the most about taking the kids to the pool. I refuse to change my clothes in public. I always wear my bathing suit under my clothes . I never change out of it anywhere but in the family restroom, and I am always scared to death that one of my kids might open the door and then I will have to run after them half nude.

I haven't mastered the fine art of changing under a towel either. When you have boobs like mine, thats not exactly something that is gracefully done.

If I were a gym mmeber I would come, exersize, adn leave in my stinky gym clothes to gohome and bathe in my own private bathroom with the door safely locked and closed, knowing no one would be able to see me.
#5 of 13 Old 04-26-2005, 06:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avonlea
I would be with your Dmil. I hate to say it, but that grosses me out. Mainly because I have some deep seated body issues from past abuse.

To me, being nude= being very vulnerable. I don't take my clothes off in front of anyone in ANY public place.

This is one the things i loathe the most about taking the kids to the pool. I refuse to change my clothes in public. I always wear my bathing suit under my clothes . I never change out of it anywhere but in the family restroom, and I am always scared to death that one of my kids might open the door and then I will have to run after them half nude.

I haven't mastered the fine art of changing under a towel either. When you have boobs like mine, thats not exactly something that is gracefully done.

If I were a gym mmeber I would come, exersize, adn leave in my stinky gym clothes to gohome and bathe in my own private bathroom with the door safely locked and closed, knowing no one would be able to see me.
They do have changing rooms in the locker room, and all the showers rooms have non see through curtains you can close. I can certainly understand why some would be uncomfortable in the enviornment.

I'm sorry if my post came across as insensitive. It was not my intention to make light of a subject that could be hurtful to people who have been hurt by body image issues or abuse.
#6 of 13 Old 04-26-2005, 06:44 PM

Avonlea - I can see where you are coming from. Nude = vulnerable. I am so sorry you have been abused.

I can FOR SURE see how the thought of running naked after a runaway child is good reason to change at home.

G
#7 of 13 Old 04-26-2005, 06:52 PM

Oh Geez..no, I am not offended at all !

I have come to terms with it.. but in highschool it was terrible. I dreaded gym class and quite often would end up crying in a toilet stall over having to change my clothes at school. One of the reasons I hate required P.E.

But thats another thread entirely, ay ?

Anyhoo...thats good to know they have private rooms/areas for those who prefer to have it so.

One of the htings about the pool that bugs me is just that, the naked women talking about mundane stuff, I can't relax enough to do that and when I am surrounded by those nude ladies I want to close my eyes until theya re all dressed and THEN I can talk. Otherwise my mind just keeps going back to teh fact that they are NAKED ( gasp of shock here on my side) and that I can't talk to them. I just can't.

Too many skeletons in that closet to even get the door shut all the way.

Sometimes I am envious of those women who can just do it. I can't. I have tried, and broken out in tears, and had trouble brething for a moment. It's just too much for me.
#8 of 13 Old 04-26-2005, 07:33 PM - Thread Starter

Along the lines of talking to naked people, I never know where to look...I want to make eye contact the whole time, but that seems to be weird (most people don't look you in the eyes for an entire conversation). However, I don't want to have my eyes wander and they think I am checking them out either.

Then I would really have the reputation...The shy, dorky girl who sprays milk while checking out your butterfly tatto!
#9 of 13 Old 04-26-2005, 07:48 PM

Is this a cultural thing, or was my nose so stuck to my books I never noticed this in Mexico? :

I am still awkward about this, and don't know what the "etiquette" in gym nudity is.
#10 of 13 Old 04-26-2005, 07:55 PM

I used to have a friend who's dad was an aerobics instructor. We would spend HOURS in his gym. We would take our swimsuits and play around in the hot tub and stuff. We were about 12. I remember when the grown-ups would come in and strip and jump in the tub. It was soooooooo gross to us. I mean, they had hair in places we didn't, and they were strangers to us....ew. Their boobs would just float on top of the water while they were asking us about what grade we were in, etc...ick.

I wouldn't be a nudie, but I'm just modest. I think the locker room nudity thing is pretty funny. I'm sure there an element of "showing off" and others who just like the fact that they can. The thought of men naked in a hot tub all chatting it up is really weird to me. Talk about weird body-part floatage.
#11 of 13 Old 04-26-2005, 08:25 PM

I am actually relieved when people are comfortable about nudity... For a long time, I would "hide" when I nursed DD when people were visiting. Finally, I just did it. And everyone was fine.

And in gym locker rooms... there is something that seems almost equalizing about everyone being naked together there... Can't explain it... but it is almost comforting to me. I think I would be a nudist if I could.

#12 of 13 Old 04-26-2005, 09:15 PM

I love to be NAKED!!!

wife - mother - midwife

CIRCUMCISION

The more you know, the worse it gets.

#13 of 13 Old 04-26-2005, 09:30 PM

I'm totally uptight I suppose. I've always used the showers with the shower curtains, and toweled off and dressed in there too.

He who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe is as good as dead; his eyes are closed.  ~Albert Einstein

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page