Random acts of kindness - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-11-2005, 12:01 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I was at the store a couple years ago, and I found myself just a bit short. (I hadn't calculated well, was in a hurry etc) The young man next to me, who looked to be about 17 or so, gave me what I was short. I was so grateful. What a kind gesture from someone that most people might look at and consider a "punk" or "hoodlum" or whatever.

Another story: Several years ago when my son was a baby the police knocked at our door at about midnight or so. My ex-Dh was an addict and involved in some sort of theft. I was half-dressed laying down in our bed (which layed on the floor) nursing Ds who was about 15 months then I think. There was one cop who kept shining his flashlight directly at me and Ds : He was really trying to get a boob shot, and it was really creepy. There was a female cop there too, and she just reached out and grabbed the other officer's flashlight and turned it off. She asked me how old Ds was, and if we needed anything. The next day there was a box full of things for Ds and I on the porch from the female officer. The card said something about her thinking of us. Just typing that now I get all teary.

Anyway, does anyone want to share some warm and fuzzy stories about acts of kindness they've encountered? I love hearing those kinds of stories.

"The true measure of a man is how he treats a man who can do him absolutely no good."
peace.gif  Embrace the learning that is happening within the things that are actually happening!    
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2005, 12:05 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Does this count?
I found a movie rental card that goes on a keychain today. My first thought was "cool I could rent a ton of movies!", so I picked it up and put it in the post box so it could go back to its owner.... If I thought that, I figure most people would and someone would act on it....so instead, it will get mailed to the right person.
Old 05-11-2005, 12:13 AM

When we moved into our first house, one of the neighbors tipped us off that once garden season was in full swing, we would find little bags of vegetables on our doorstep in the mornings. The neighbors all shared their excess. They would come out at night and leave veggies for each other. I was so happy when we were able to participate in the night time, anonymous vegetable drops. You never knew what you would find in the morning or how many bags there would be!

When ds#1 was about 9 months old and still nursing, I was a maid of honor at a friend's wedding. The lady who made the dresses found a private room for me at the reception, got me a snack and some water, helped me get my dress undone ( it was not made to nurse in at all) and was so kind...she had nursed her babies and was just so great. She stayed and chatted with me while I sat there half-naked nursing my baby in this gorgeous satin dress all undone. Then she helped me get myself all pulled back together after he was done.

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle." -Plato
Old 05-11-2005, 12:14 AM

Little things...letting people merge in front of you while driving...Paying for the person behind you at Starbucks...

to people on MDC

Jenn - Mom, Photographer, Barista 

Old 05-11-2005, 12:16 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Well, about 6 weeks ago I had a miscarriage at 15 weeks. I wrote into the spirituality forum asking what people thought happened to the baby's spirit. A woman and I started PMing and through a series of talking she helped me get through some of the pain, and to top it all off, sent me a package with a book about St. Therese(we named our baby Therese) and a set of good deed beads . It really touched my heart! The kindness of complete strangers totally blows me away and gives me such hope for mankind!

Old 05-11-2005, 12:38 AM

Ooooh, I have the ultimate one, I love sharing this story. Long but worth it.

DP and I went to Paris in spring of 2001. I had read the guide books before our trip and was confident that even though we didn't speak a word of french I could get us to the hotel from the airport by taking the train then subway saving us the $40-60 cab ride. So we get to the main train station from the airport no troubles, with two weeks worth of luggage in tow. I'm standing in front of the metro map on the wall figuring which subway we want to take from there. A frenchman, who spoke great english (but his accent showed he was clearly french) asked me if we were americans, and if I needed help. I told him I thought I had it figured out. I told him where out hotel was located, and showed him on the map which subway I planning on taking. he told me I was right, that was the best train to take. But he also told me there was a metro workers strike, and I wouldn't be able to find anyone working there to help us get to the right platform, he better show us.

DP was of course a little nervous abut all of this. Here was are with all our luggage following behind this french guy, and DP is thinking, scam, pick-pocket, he's taking us to some out of the way place to rob us or other terrors. We go up stairs, down corridors, down stairs and on. The guy kept offering to carry my havier bag, but I just smiled and said it was no problem trying to make it look easy for me to keep up with him. So he finally says to my boyfriend, look this is ridiculous, she's dragging these bags, and you still need to get tickets. here is the platfrm you need. Leave her here with the bags, and I'll take you to where you buy the tickets.

So now DP is like "Uh, no, I don't want to leave you" But I just had a feeling, a good feeling about his man. So I urged him to go on, I would be fine. I sat on a bench with all our bags. Less than 5 minutes later DP was back, the man let me know to look out for the #4 train with the pink sign, and wished us a great vacation. The guy told us he had to go back where we had started to catch his train. He worked for the metro, but he was on strike himself. I was raving to DP about how nice a man he was, taking us to the train in prson when he wasn't even going to be anywhere near there. Mean while DP is checking for his wallet (it was still there )

Then DP tells me that when they got to where you buy metro tickets they had to use the automated machine, cause there was no one working the ticket boths because of the strike. We had used an ATM at the airport to have cash, but the smallest bill DP had on him was 200 francs, which was the equivalent of like a $40 bill. The machine didn't take bills that small. The man did not have change so he BOUGHT our subway tickets for us. He told DP, you can repay the favor by being nice to a tourist in America some day.

What a great way to start a vacation the very first time you leave the country, huh?
Old 05-11-2005, 01:09 AM

I've got a good one. We were a little late paying our electric bill on one of those short of cash months that sometimes come up. Well, the overdue notice came (not even a cut off notice), and I noticed it had been opened and taped and there was a note on it that said sorry the mail man delievered this to the wrong house and I accidently opened it. I opened the bill and there was $100 cash in it, no explanation or identifying information of who are anomynous giver was. I still wish I could thank whoever did that.
Old 05-11-2005, 01:39 AM

#1:
When my mom was dying of cancer, everyone in the school district where she worked donated sick days to her. It meant that she could remain employed right up until the end, which was symbolically very important to her and which kept the life insurance policy that she got through work in effect.

#2:
The other day I came home to find a wonderful bouquet of flowers on my porch. They had obviously been delivered by mistake because the card had our address on it but the name of woman that I didn't know. (She had the same last name as DH, but I'd never heard of her and she definitely didn't live with us.) After the florist told me that I could keep the flowers, I gave them to my 80yo widowed neighbor, Miss Hazel. She was so very happy with them.
Old 05-11-2005, 01:46 AM

So many people have done soooooo much for me (especially recently) that i couldn't possibly sit here and recount all of it. Now that DH is almost back to work i am already planning how i can pass it on.
Old 05-11-2005, 02:56 AM

I went to Vegas last week with my best friend. My plane left at 2 on Saturday but due to a late shuttle and the dig-through-all-your-stuff security check I missed my plane. We had made friends with the people in the room next door at our hotel, just waving hi, chit chatting at the pool, in fact I talked to the wife on the way back to the strip that afternoon. So we're sitting in the hotel lobby waiting for my cab that was hopefully going to get me to the airport in time for my second plane (it wasn't looking good) and they walked in. The wife was like "what are you doing here, you're supposed to be home with your little boy!!" We told them what happened and they were like, get in the car you'll never make it! They were so sweet. Nice nice people
Old 05-11-2005, 09:09 AM

Oh, these are some really great stories! I'm very touched by the teachers that gave sick days to your mom, Katie Bugs Mama.

When I was in highschool, my dad got really, really sick. He was hit with cardiomyopathy (very simply put, a virus that settles in your heart and does damage) and was on all kinds of meds and then had a small stroke that did more damage to his heart. So, he was on the transplant list but nothing was happening and he was getting sicker and sicker. Even though I am blessed to still have my dad almost 15 years later, at the time, we spent months basically watching my dad as he was dying. It was awful!

It was just my mom and I there to help each other take care of him. Mom couldn't work cause she needed to be with him. We had lost dad's income. I was 14 so not really any help. We were basically living off of insurance $$.

Right after Thanksgiving that year, he was admitted to the hospital and a week later (on my birthday) he had a surgery that allowed the Drs to put him on an electric heart pump. The pump did 80% of the heart's work for him and the rest of his body was basically able to recover from his illness before he recived a heart 4 months later.

Anyway, the RAK comes in back home. It was coming up on Christmastime and Mom and I had NO money. No food money or anything. Mom couldn't get a job at the moment because she was driving back and forth to be with her husband who had just major heart surgery in Pittsburgh. Any insurance money was now going to the hospital, not us. And again, I was 14.

We come home from Pittsburgh one day to a HUGE basket on our porch. It was loaded with food and answered the question of "what are we going to eat tonight?". Then as we dig deeper, we find a fat envelope that was stuffed with money (about $1000) AND almost $500 worth of grocery store GCs!!! All of this was from my dad's co-workers. It was absolutely phenomenal!

Thanks for starting this thread, Unschoolnma....its good to do things to restore one's faith in humanity! Good people really are out there at work!
Old 05-11-2005, 10:02 AM

When dh and I decided to get married we were really poor. My parents were going to be giving us money for our wedding. We could spend it on the wedding or save it. We wanted to go on a Honeymoon and save the rest. Long story short, my mom and I got into a huge fight (she wanted a big wedding, I didn't) and she didn't give us the money she promised (nice mom ). My dad still gave us money but we wanted to save that.

While all of this was going on one of dh's co-workers kept asking him where we were going on our Honeymoon. Dh kept telling him we didn't know if we could afford one. Then his co-worker got on the phone to make and pay for reservations at a very nice resort in NC. He told dh that it was one of his and his partners favorite places to go and we had to go for a few days. All of dh's co-workers chipped in and gave us money so we could go out to dinner while we were there.

It was really the nicest thing anyone has ever done for me. And dh had only worked with these wonderful people for 2 months.
Old 05-11-2005, 10:23 AM

I make it a point to pay for the person behind me at the tollbooth and always offer change to someone who is short at the grocers. I will run to try and open the door for a mama with her hands full and always use the manners I was taught when someone does something polite for me.
Kroger's hires these young kids, most with disabilities, and they seem to always get cart duty. So the poor kids are sweating their arses off, yanking these carts around and I am certain making minimum wage. I always buy them a bottle of water and say something nice to them. Ocasionally if I have some extra money, I will slip them a couple of dollars. They are some of the sweetest kids I have ever met.
Old 05-11-2005, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnschoolnMa
Another story: Several years ago when my son was a baby the police knocked at our door at about midnight or so. My ex-Dh was an addict and involved in some sort of theft. I was half-dressed laying down in our bed (which layed on the floor) nursing Ds who was about 15 months then I think. There was one cop who kept shining his flashlight directly at me and Ds : He was really trying to get a boob shot, and it was really creepy. There was a female cop there too, and she just reached out and grabbed the other officer's flashlight and turned it off. She asked me how old Ds was, and if we needed anything. The next day there was a box full of things for Ds and I on the porch from the female officer. The card said something about her thinking of us. Just typing that now I get all teary.

Anyway, does anyone want to share some warm and fuzzy stories about acts of kindness they've encountered? I love hearing those kinds of stories.
THANK YOU for the positive story about a Police Officer

Me & DH hug2.gif , adult DD lips.gif & 7 yo DS guitar.gif . 2 GSDs, 6 rescue kitties, 4 birds & a gerbil.
Old 05-11-2005, 11:15 AM

I was a single Mama with my DD & we struggled.
I was living in this older Apt complex & most everyone ther was struggling A LOT also.
I was washing ALL her baby clothes (6 mos old) in a few loads when they were ALL stolen... I knocked on all my neighbors door to see if they saw anyone by our laundry room?
no had & I cried & cried.
Later that day, a friend was giving me a few $$ for some clothes for my baby girl so I went to her home.
When I got back home... there was 2 HUGE trash bags full of baby girl clothes by my front door.
The note only said, " Hope this helps" : :
I learned much later that all my struggling neighbors call all their friends & realtives & got some clothes for me...
I still cry when I think about it ... : :

Me & DH hug2.gif , adult DD lips.gif & 7 yo DS guitar.gif . 2 GSDs, 6 rescue kitties, 4 birds & a gerbil.
Old 05-11-2005, 11:19 AM

Whenever I see Homeless folks with pets with them...
I get the humans & the pets some food & toys & a few bucks if I can.

I always offer change or a few bucks to the Mamas at the grocery stores that saeem like they are counting every dime!!
I've been there & been save many times by strangers giving me a dollar or 2 when I was short.

I always let folks go ahead of me in line if they have less items

Old 05-11-2005, 04:13 PM - Thread Starter

These are great! They are really making me, Dh, and the kids smile Thanks for sharing them everyone.

Dallaschildren talking about holding doors for a mama with full hands reminded me of something that happened once at the social services office almost 14 years ago now. Ds was like 3 months old or something, and was sleeping in his carseat on the table next to me as I filled out paperwork (anyone who's filed for food stamps knows how much that sucks) So I was feeling frustrated and mad because I didn't have all the info, and that they are asking really stupid questions etc.

In walks a lady with a baby a bit older than mine, a toddler who was maybe 2, and an older child about 6 or so. She has a diaper bag, a car seat, a bunch of papers with her. They said she was late by 5 min for her apt so she'd have to wait. That's the kiss of death for a mom with 3 little kids lol. She's trying to finish paperwork and nurse her infant when her toddler ran over and out the security door and set off the alarm! She was looking like she was ready to lose it, so I went over and asked if she'd be willing to let me hold her baby so she could attend to the other kids. Things settled down from there, but she was so stressed. She just said a quiet "Thanks. I appreciated that."

"The true measure of a man is how he treats a man who can do him absolutely no good."
peace.gif  Embrace the learning that is happening within the things that are actually happening!    
Old 05-11-2005, 05:29 PM

A friend and I were in Paris (years before kids :LOL). We were there on a whim and trying to find our hostel (we were supposed to go on this big trip to Poland with a friend and the whole thing fell apart at the airport, so we found ourselves in Europe with no plans, no place to stay - it was fun :LOL).

So we're in Paris and neither of us speaks French. We go up to a woman running the train station ticket booth and ask her something but she answers in French (well duh, we are in France :LOL). Great, so now what? My friend speaks Croatian but that wasn't helping. I speak some German (badly) but the German tourists we ran into didn't know how to help us either. So we're talking to each other, worried and wondering what the heck we're going to do now. This older gentleman sees us. He doesn't speak English but is very friendly and smiley and says something to us. He goes over and talks to the woman we just spoke to and then motions to us to come back over to the ticket window. We're trying to say we're sorry but we don't speak French and he's just motioning us over to her. So we go up to the window, expecting nothing. Guess what? Now she speaks English :LOL I wish we had taken a photo of him or something It was a fun trip, but also very stressful at times (because of the circumstances) and that guy really stood out as a positive point

On the same trip we were on a train from Germany to Holland. At that point we were living on loaves of bread and a jar of nutella, :LOL (ok, yummy really - but I lost more than 10 lbs in two weeks :LOL) This older, sweet German couple saw we had nothing much to eat and fed us a meal and chatted with us on the train for awhile. The woman reminded me of my Grandma We got their pictures

I had someone pay for my toll once. That really takes you by surprise in a good way
Old 05-11-2005, 06:06 PM

This is small but stands out for me: I was in a developing country walking back from the market with a bag full of fruit - a plastic bag and it broke- the fruit rolling all over the sidewalk. I was alone, hungry, exhausted and standing in the middle of a crowded, muddy sidewalk with people practically stepping on me.

A man came out of the shop in from of me and said, "carry bag? You need carry bag!" He got me a nice thick paper bag from his store and carefully helped me pick up all the fruit and smiled kindly then went back to his work.

I will never forget him- and how the kindness of strangers is what makes the world go round.

Being right is not always fair, but being fair is always right
Old 05-11-2005, 06:40 PM

I have really enjoyed this thread. Thank you OP. I wish others would chime in. It is the smallest of things that one would think doesn't make a bit of difference...but it really does.
Old 05-11-2005, 06:46 PM

I remember waitiing for my husband to come home from work one Friday night. We had plans for an actual date at a really nice restaurant an hour away. So I got all dressed up, hair done and everything and he's not home yet. So I try his cell phone and it rings and rings with no answer. Thirty minutes later I was scared thinking about all the what ifs, near tears. He finally came home an hour and a half later and told me what happened.

He was on his way home leaving town when he drove past the mall and casually glanced at his window. He said he could tell that a woman was having car problems and was almost crying. So he swings into the turn lane to see what was the matter. Here the woman had a flat tire, to top it off she had four kids various ages running around and was "pretty pregnant" as he put it. The woman told him she didn't have a spare tire and then started really crying and told him she didn't have any money. So now my husband was in a predicament, what does he do? He calls and arranges for the nearest mechanic in town to come and fix her tire, its a Friday night and the mechanic says he couldn't get there for an hour. Husband says thats fine just do it ASAP. Then he loads her and all of the kids up and takes them to McDonalds, the one with a playground in it. He orders and pays for all of them to eat and sits and waits with her until he thought her tire was fixed. He drives back to the mall, pays the mechanic, and gives the lady $50. He said she was crying the whole time she was so happy.

So now my husband is home late minus the $150 we were going to use to go out to eat and he starts apologizing because he knows how much I was looking forward to going to eat at the fancy restaurant. : So then I started crying! Needless to say thats exactly why I wanted to marry him in the first place. And lets say I "showed" him..ahem...how proud I was of him that night.
Old 05-11-2005, 06:57 PM

Here's mine:

Last winter we were almost out of propane and my water pipes froze. I went to the hardware store to rent a salamander (a heater used to heat the underside of homes) and was rather upset when the salesman said I would need to supervise it, and it could take hours to thaw the pipes. I have 3 young children to look after, and it was -20 outside, no way could I stand outside and watch it! I didn't have a choice, so I took it and said I would see what I could do.

I got home and the owners of the store had left me a message. They told me they were on their way over, they would help me thaw my pipes so I could stay inside with my children.

They stood outside in the cold for 3 hours, and he finally came inside and said he had opened a heat vent under the house, and that my propane would go faster because of that. He also said that there were busted pipes and I would need to call a plumber. He asked how much propane I had left, and I told him I did not think I would make it through the week. I asked him to close the vent and I would just live without water for now, I'd rather stay warm and buy bottled water, because I could not afford to hire a plumber and get propane. (The min amount I could buy was $233).
The next morning the lady called again and asked if I had hired a plumber. I said yes, and she told me to cancel him because she had hired me a plumber, he was on his way, and she would take care of the bill. She said she only wanted me to put the money I was going to pay the plumber towards propane, so we would have heat and water.

The generousity of these people, who had never met me but gave me hours of their time, and spent money on our behalf, warms my heart and gives me hope for the future of humanity.
Old 05-11-2005, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starr
I remember waitiing for my husband to come home from work one Friday night. We had plans for an actual date at a really nice restaurant an hour away. So I got all dressed up, hair done and everything and he's not home yet. So I try his cell phone and it rings and rings with no answer. Thirty minutes later I was scared thinking about all the what ifs, near tears. He finally came home an hour and a half later and told me what happened.

He was on his way home leaving town when he drove past the mall and casually glanced at his window. He said he could tell that a woman was having car problems and was almost crying. So he swings into the turn lane to see what was the matter. Here the woman had a flat tire, to top it off she had four kids various ages running around and was "pretty pregnant" as he put it. The woman told him she didn't have a spare tire and then started really crying and told him she didn't have any money. So now my husband was in a predicament, what does he do? He calls and arranges for the nearest mechanic in town to come and fix her tire, its a Friday night and the mechanic says he couldn't get there for an hour. Husband says thats fine just do it ASAP. Then he loads her and all of the kids up and takes them to McDonalds, the one with a playground in it. He orders and pays for all of them to eat and sits and waits with her until he thought her tire was fixed. He drives back to the mall, pays the mechanic, and gives the lady $50. He said she was crying the whole time she was so happy.

So now my husband is home late minus the $150 we were going to use to go out to eat and he starts apologizing because he knows how much I was looking forward to going to eat at the fancy restaurant. : So then I started crying! Needless to say thats exactly why I wanted to marry him in the first place. And lets say I "showed" him..ahem...how proud I was of him that night.
awww... what a sweetie! You have a keeper!
Old 05-11-2005, 08:09 PM

When i would go on the toll road from VA to PA, I'd pay for the car behind me... just to be nice.

Sahm mom to three lovely girls, and happily married to a great, sweet guy
Old 05-11-2005, 08:10 PM

What lovely stories.

Several years ago, DP & I went island hopping around Greece for the summer. We arrived on this island, Milos, & started looking for somewhere to stay. It was boiling hot & we had really heavy bags, & hadn't slept at all (overnight ferry). So after wandering around for a while in the heat, we collapsed in the shade of some buildings for a rest. Opposite us, a Greek couple were sitting outside their flat, so we asked them if they knew anywhere good (read, cheap!) to stay. They didn't know of anywhere, but the man got out his motorbike, took DP on the back, & went roaring off to the tourist office, while I ate plums with the woman - I only know ancient Greek & she didn't know any English, so conversation was limited! - eventually the Greek man came roaring back (minus DP, which surprised me!) to pick me up & take me to the hostel he had found for us. It was so kind of them. They were on holiday as well - they lived in Athens I think.

Actually I have another Greece story! We had got the bus along to a village we wanted to visit, & got off to start walking down the hill. A car went past us - no big deal - we carried on trudging down this hill. About five minutes later, the car came back again, & pulled up next to us, & this man stuck his head out & said "It's a really long way down, so I thought I'd come back for you". So he gave us a lift (it was a really long way down!). So thoughtful.
Old 05-11-2005, 08:48 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
All the traveling stories got me thinking. We spent last Christmas in Santa Fe. Just for fun - we know no one there.

1. One of our planned activities was riding the Santa Fe Southern RR with Santa. We made it to the station with plenty of time (we thought) for lunch at the nearby recommended restaurant. Turns out the restaurant is VERY popular with locals for lunch and we were looking at a wait that would prevent us from riding the train. OTOH, we couldn't very well get on the train for an hour+ ride without lunch. I told the restaurant host, "we have tix on the train at 1:30. Is there any way we can get some lunch, maybe at the bar? He said, "Do me a favor and wait over (in a little hidden cubby) there for a minute." He had us wait just long enough for the other customers not to notice that another host quickly squired us to a seat and told the waitress we were in a hurry. VERY helpful and friendly and very much appreciated.

2. DD was shopping at a store and found a tiny "doll" that had come off a barrette when she was combing through a basket of accessories. She asked the shopowner how much the little doll cost and he said she could have it for free. He really didn't have to do that, it made her day!

3. On Christmas Day we had reservations for a delicious buffet dinner at a swanky hotel. When we were finally done, dh took the girls to stroll around a bit while I took care of the bill (and finished my coffee in peace ). When the waitress brought it she explained that she decided to only charge us for one kid's meal since, "they didn't eat that much." What a pleasant surprise.
Old 05-11-2005, 09:04 PM

To me- I was at the produce market and short on change and the woman behind me gave me what I was short.
This year we moved into our new home, it was a quick move. My friends all got together and suprised us with a brand new dining table and chairs. Then they put it together. Also my one friend anytime anyone mentions a need or a want she is over with help. The new house we moved into the yard was such a mess the kids could not even play in it. We came home one day to find her rotatiling our yard to help us lay grass seed.

One day at the thrift store my dh always goes to it was Senior discount day, he did not know the stuff he picked out he could only get a discount if he was a senior. So the cahier told him to ask the senior citizen behind him. He did and she said yes. A few weeks later he was in front of her in line and he returned the favor to her and paid for her merchandise.

We suprised really good friends of our with an outdoor fire pit. A group of us went in on it, they have us over every week for a family BBq, this was our way of returning the favor. Most of us last year were in between places and they had the best place to go to and just hang out.

Our other friend was going thru a very depressing time so we all went in on a shooping card to her favorite store and tucked into her purse. To this day she is not 100% sure who all went in on it. We did not sign it.
Old 05-11-2005, 09:20 PM

what a great thread.. I totally believe in karma and wonderful things happen to me all the time..so I try to keep it balanced by returning the love

when I was 18 and it was my first Christmas on my own and I really wanted to get a real tree to decorate..I had a minimun wage job and 10 bucks to my name. and I just went to browse the tree farm because its 2 days before christmas and maybe I can get a tiny tree top for cheap if I am lucky..well my blasted car dies right there at the tree farm..and the owner comes out..fixes my car and tells me to pick out any tree I want for free...and merry christmas...

when I was pregnant with DS.. I went to arizona to visit my best friend from High school..and it was SOOOO hot and I was sooo thirsty and exhausted..we were both broke (hmm reoccuring pattern in my life) and we stopped on the strip in downtown Tempi and she ran in the use the restroom at a cafe..and out of nowhere this waitress comes outside with a HUGE takeout drink..for me. she says here ya go hun you looked thirsty.
that was the tastiest beverage I ever had.

I was at a pizzeria a few weeks ago and at the last minute decided to get an extra pizza and take it to feed the shop workers in the little strip mall surrounding the pizza place..they were all pleasantly surprised and it made me feel great.

I always let people go ahead in line if they have less stuff at the store, I let people go in front of me in traffic too..if I have extra cash I will pay the toll of the person behind me..I can't always do everything I would like..but I try to keep the karmic scales balanced
Old 05-11-2005, 09:40 PM

I was really hoping that there would be 5-6 pages by now

there's so much complaining everywhere & it's so nice to hear something good for a change

bring on the kindness stories

Old 05-11-2005, 09:49 PM

When I was little my Dad used to drive around in his truck during snowstorms and pull people out of ditches. That was cool.

This past Mother's Day, I had brunch with my Mom and sis and their husbands and babes. It was my first Mother's Day, but DH didn't do anything, not even wish me "Happy Mother's Day". This really hurt me and as much as I tried to hide it at brunch my eyes must have betrayed me...my Mom showed-up at my house later that day with a small wooden figure of a mother and son, and a Mother's Day card "from Altuğ". It was so sweet of her.

Last time I attended a protest in DC, my twin sis came along. She is a nurse and was our group medic. During one of many corrallings by the police which cornered a few thousand protestors into a square, hot and crowded...she busted out water and juice boxes and handed them out to a bunch of teenaged protestors who didn't know to bring water and food and such with them. I didn't even know she was carrying all that around.

Mooooom! to  guitar.gifDS (1/05) and whistling.gifDSS (11/05).  TTC fingersx.gifour "ours" after VR on 10/12.  

User Tag List