Does this bother any other feminist mamas? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-15-2005, 03:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemmer
I agree with others who said that the skills are important to teach our children (of both genders), but that the package as a whole is demeaning to women.
yup !

Me & DH hug2.gif , adult DD lips.gif & 7 yo DS guitar.gif . 2 GSDs, 6 rescue kitties, 4 birds & a gerbil.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2005, 03:50 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Can any one give me a quick answer though... is 90 minutes every day a lot of instructional time for a single subject? I honestly don't know.
Old 05-15-2005, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kama'aina mama
Can any one give me a quick answer though... is 90 minutes every day a lot of instructional time for a single subject? I honestly don't know.
Because I believe that the student (child,etc) should be in charge of what they are learning and how for me it would be up to the learner how long the lesson should last. If I am really into something I can do 90 min. Depends, depends, depends. That's not helpful, I know... sorry.

"The true measure of a man is how he treats a man who can do him absolutely no good."
peace.gif  Embrace the learning that is happening within the things that are actually happening!    
Old 05-15-2005, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kama'aina mama
I'd think that some of it could/would be integrated with normal household tasks that are getting done anyway.
Old 05-15-2005, 05:55 PM

Hmmm..

First off. I am fully in support of religious parents teaching their children that women are the keepers of the home. I don't have to agree with it. But I want them to stay out of my home and what I teach my children, so I'll try to do the same.

Second. My mother was one of those 60's feminists. Some of the way she's raised me has been harmful and counterproductive to the way I have chosen to live my life. She didn't teach me to cook, clean, sew, do childcare, or any of the other things that I actually spend my day doing. She didn't have it in her. I can't really blame her. But I don't think its a bad thing to teach these things.

Third. For myself, I find my life with my children and husband to be so much more fulfilling when I am staying home, cooking meals, doing some sewing, and generally being your stereotypical 50's mom. I'm not really that great a mother when I try to split myself up and work too. That's just me. I also know that I don't feel I got the kind of care from my mother that I really needed. I love my mom. She's really accepting of who I am now. She didn't try to make me into a little miniature of herself, but she also didn't help me learn many skills I really did need to be a wife and mother.

So, am I offended by this? Not really. I would, however, be incensed should the local or state government mandate giving equal time to "intelligent" design in MY public schools.

If I want them out of my life, my laws, my children's raising, how can I justify sticking my nose into theirs? (unless they come here to mdc. Then I'll just argue with them )
Old 05-15-2005, 10:26 PM

The listing title rots. I think the info in it might be good, BUT I also think it's all in how it's used too. I am ASSuming that the seller used it in a manner that I would not agree with, but some can pick and choose how to use the info. I would probably get too frustrated and want to burn it, based on marsupialmom's posting of a review. :LOL
Old 05-15-2005, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gethane
Second. My mother was one of those 60's feminists. Some of the way she's raised me has been harmful and counterproductive to the way I have chosen to live my life. She didn't teach me to cook, clean, sew, do childcare, or any of the other things that I actually spend my day doing.
Same here. I went to a private school and was always expected to go to university and study something solid (math, science, engineering, etc.). We had a house keeper and my mom didn't like me in the kitchen.

So I've learned all this stuff about how to run a home while doing it. I'm teaching it to my DDs as they grow up. Some of the crafty things we are learning together.

4H has wonderful materials for kids without with sexism/dogma crap.

The homeschoolers I've met who into this "Keepers at Home" stuff are usually very traditional in their view of education, so their daughters have a solid education. If they get away from their families they will have the basic skills to do whatever they want to with their lives. Over coming the brain washing will be the hard part for them.
Old 05-15-2005, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda KS

The homeschoolers I've met who into this "Keepers at Home" stuff are usually very traditional in their view of education, so their daughters have a solid education. If they get away from their families they will have the basic skills to do whatever they want to with their lives. Over coming the brain washing will be the hard part for them.
That's good to hear. I suppose that those of us who were raised to only have careers overcame our brainwashing so so could they. I know that *I* sure wasn't going to be a housewife. I was joking with my dh about how Home Econcomics and Future Homemakers of America would have helped prepare for my current life and yet I was too good for them back in high school. I really wish I'd taken Home Ec at least.
Old 05-16-2005, 12:36 AM

I took shop and home ec, and liked shop way better.

Really, that the title is "training for girls" is a bunch of rot and I'd avoid it for that reason alone. My boy makes cookies & helps change tires...does dishes & weeds the yard...

We should all be helping each other along rather than dividing ourselves.
Old 05-16-2005, 03:21 AM

What ELSE this depraved woman is selling : ? Shudder....
Old 05-16-2005, 03:44 AM

D*MN, I missed my bidding window! :

Isn't this like that surrender thing? God and home and hearth above all? Hey, if it floats your boat and you don't talk to my kids, then good for you. (you in the general sense...)
Old 05-16-2005, 03:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BusyMommy
and you don't talk to my kids
Old 05-16-2005, 12:57 PM

Quote:
I guess you can say there is more than one way to please God. And its by grace we get to be in his presence, not works. So scrub all you want, you might be suprised when you meet me in heaven.
I totally agree with this statement.

Monica , DH :cop , DD (8) , DS1 (5) , DS2 (2/09) , and the pup
Old 05-16-2005, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire_chan
What ELSE this depraved woman is selling : ? Shudder....
*Depraved?* You can infer this from an Ebay seller's auction? Wow.

In her personal page she describes how she's always trying new things with her kids and as a housewife. Some things work out and some don't. She says it's a good program but geeze - she's selling it (and Ezzo and playstation stuff) not keeping it!
Old 05-16-2005, 06:06 PM

That auction totally bugs me (and discusts me), however the one thing that I also thought was that I'm glad some mama wants to teach her child (and I don't see why it has to only be daughters not sons) how to take care of a home.

I plan to teach my sons how to take care of their home. One day they will live alone, and perhaps one day they'll be SAHD's. My mama didn't teach me to cook, clean, laundry - nothing. I felt totally lost when I moved out. And darn it I wish someone would teach me to knit so i can make soakers. LOL.

I do shudder to think of what 'Child Training' they teach. Obivously this sounds like a bad spin-off of an idea that could be made actually helpful. Something like 'home management or family management skills for tommorows parents' would be better. And I don't like the idea of it being a curriculum, but it'd be better as a how to book, like things to teach your kids. I don't know whether my mom just forgot to teach me that stuff or if she didn't think it was important. Who knows.

Enough blabbering from me...
Old 05-16-2005, 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by Nemmer
I agree with others who said that the skills are important to teach our children (of both genders), but that the package as a whole is demeaning to women.

yes,yes,yes

Me afro.jpg reading.gif Wife and Mom to modifiedartist.gif cat.gifdog2.gif.
Old 05-17-2005, 01:13 AM - Thread Starter

I'm so excited! My first hot thread!
Old 05-18-2005, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaxmama
yes it does. in fact I was surprised that "obeying and pleasing your husband" was not included in the curriculum.
So ture.
Old 05-18-2005, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsupialmom
If your definition matches mine yes but since most people don’t agree to the definition of a feminist I guess maybe not.

MW defines Femenism as: the theory of the political, economic, and social equality of the sexes
Old 05-18-2005, 10:31 PM

My first reaction:

My second reaction:

I wish I took that course : as a kid... I could use some of those skills!!! (Like home management.) :LOL I sooooo wish my mother (a struggling widow) bothered to make the time to teach me how to use a sewing machine. Or showed me how to cook when I was 5-12 (because when she wanted to teach me at 16, I was like "yeah right lady, I'm busy."

Yeah, those skills are very important... but it shouldn't be aimed at JUST girls. Boys can learn how to use a sewing machine. They'd (OK some would, just like some girls would enjoy X and not Y) enjoy it.

10 - boy
5.5 - girl
Old 05-18-2005, 11:39 PM

Yes, I find it scary. Have you ever read Fascinating Womanhood? It's like another trainwreck. My husband hid my copy years ago, but once it surfaces I'm interspersing readings with that and the Vagina Monologues for a kick.

Fascinating Womanhood is another book that tells how to be the right kind of wife and woman.

Third generation WOHM. I work by choice.
Old 05-18-2005, 11:42 PM

it doesn't bother me. it would be interesting to read and i do consider myself to be a feminist. i don't think learning to cook, sew and all that domestic stuff will make you turn out to not be a feminist.
Old 05-19-2005, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jannan
i don't think learning to cook, sew and all that domestic stuff will make you turn out to not be a feminist.
I think you may have missed the whole point of the thread jannan.
Old 05-19-2005, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by queen bee
*Depraved?* You can infer this from an Ebay seller's auction? Wow.

In her personal page she describes how she's always trying new things with her kids and as a housewife. Some things work out and some don't. She says it's a good program but geeze - she's selling it (and Ezzo and playstation stuff) not keeping it!
Yep, I can. I agree that this woman is depraved. She's selling the Ezzo stuff because she has already used it and she swears that it works. Did you read the description on the auction for the Ezzo? Makes me want to :Puke So yes, I can get a good feel for a person's beliefs if they give enough info in the description. Hers is all too clear. She is a crazy Ezzo follower.
Old 05-19-2005, 02:39 AM

I don't have an issue with this woman (or anyone else, for that matter) teaching her daughter "home-making" skills. I think teaching a child to sew, cook, clean, ect. is no different than teaching them how to paint, build a bird house, change a tire, ect. What I do take issue with is people who think that only girls can cook, clean, or sew. Or that good girls and good wives and good mothers do this sort of thing.
Old 05-19-2005, 10:17 AM

My mom was a feminist too and I'm proud of the things she DID teach me. It wasn't cooking, cleaning or sewing, although her mother was seamstress. We went through various periods of having a cleaning lady and ate a lot of fast food. But I learned about feminine values - taking care of people, looking out for others, working for change. I learned about having choices and women's rights. I learned about her working EVEN after her pregnancy began to show (gasp). I learned about balancing a checkbook. I learned a LOT about religions other than ours. And in a really respectful way. I learned about community and supporting other mothers. I learned GD. I knew it was importan to BF children, even when no one around you did.

My DH and a roomate taught me to cook. I'm adequate, but not great. I learned to knit from a book and I'm a great knitter! Sewing I just kind of taught myself and I'm a pretty good sewer. I always say it helps that I've already made a lot of mistakes, so I know how to fix a lot of things. We have a cleaning lady twice a month to shovel out the worst of the dirt! :

Still wouldn't use a book like that to teach domestic arts.

Third generation WOHM. I work by choice.

User Tag List