dog names - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-28-2001, 06:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm so happy to be back to the boards! Part of the reason it has taken me so long to register to the new ones is that we got a puppy about a month ago. I am starting to feel stressed that we have not thought of a name for him yet! He is a Golden Retriever and very well mannered. The breeder was calling him Henry and it's not sticking with us, hence the name dilemma. I would love to hear some of your ideas on dog names. Maybe a name of a past of present beloved pet, or a name you have heard that you think is a good dog name.
Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2001, 06:28 PM

Oh, we have a wonderful golden retriever and his name is Boomer. There are even children's books about a golden named Boomer (we didn't name him after the books though). They are called "Boomer's Big Day" and "Boomer Goes to School". We love reading about "Boomer's" Adventures.

My ds LOVES his best friend, Boomer! He is now 11 yo and still loves playing and wrestling with my ds. He is a patient and kind hearted dog and has never been agressive w/my ds or any of his friends.

Warmly~

Lisa

Lisa, Todd, Dane and Amber: & :::
Old 12-28-2001, 08:32 PM

I don't have any specific names to suggest, but what about using your hobbies or interests as a springboard for ideas? For example, call him by your favorite artist or composer's name. Someone I know called their chocolate lab Porter after the beer. Or let the dog earn his own name - my cat Banzai was named by a friend after the cat (then a teeny kitten) kept sneak-attacking him in a way that just looked as if he were shrieking, "Banzai!!!!"

Okay, strange, but hey, it's better than Henry.
Old 12-28-2001, 08:48 PM

But I have a weakness for animals names after other animals or foods
examples:
cats named:
Chedder
Moose (or Mousse?)
Chicken
but I also knew a golden named Haiku which I thought was cool and we had a dear cat named Churchill. But the love of my life was my cat Cottonball that I got (& named ) at age 8. It was an awful name for the most wonderful cat in the world!
Old 12-28-2001, 09:49 PM

I'm here at work and had to add my partner's dog's name: Boudicca, which means goddess in celtic (I think). They call her Dicca for short.

Have Fun~

Lisa

Lisa, Todd, Dane and Amber: & :::
Old 12-28-2001, 10:06 PM

Old 12-28-2001, 10:26 PM

We once had a female golden whose name was Chelsea. It fit her perfectly. Dh still wants to get a male golden one day, and name him Watson. I do not want to get a dog until the kids are a bit older....but when we do, dh will be searching for his perfect Watson!
Old 12-28-2001, 10:45 PM

I had a WONDERFUL dog before Edie was born named Ubu. He was a charmer, smart as a whip, and extremely attached.

My dogs now are Teva, who is a big brown mix. She is a wonderful girl. And Skylar, who is a Chow, and at almost three is not quite out of the puupy stage.

A friend has a dog named Diogi (D.O.G.)

And I have always wanted a dog that the name "Newman" would suit. (Seinfeld weirdo)

Have fun.

randee

proverbs 29:7 the righteous care about justice for the poor, but the wicked have no such concern.

Old 12-29-2001, 12:58 AM

Our girls are named Allie (lab/chow mix) and Sarah (pitt mix). Our friends breed jack-russels and named them all something related to coffee. I really like literary names and mythological names. Before I die I want to have a white dog named Desdamona, a black dog named Othello, and a cat named Iago all at the same time. My DH wants two huge dogs named Romeo and Juliet. My MIL has two female rottweilers named Lucy and Ethel. Sadly, Ethel is the chubby, ugly one
Old 12-29-2001, 03:37 AM

My animals have always named themselves, eventually. My Dad is no longer permitted to name pets, after my Mom had to take the cats (Filth, Squalor, Bitch, Moan, and Fleabag) to the vet for shots ... Dh wanted to name the Cub Thelonius, but I promised he could use the name for the next homeless critter that comes our way.
Old 12-29-2001, 05:10 AM

Oh, I just saw an old movie (well, from the eighties) and the dog was named Beowolf (I just know I spelled that wrong...long time since Engl Lit). Anyhow, I loved it!
Old 12-29-2001, 06:08 AM

Growing up, we always had weird names for all of our pets (including a cat named "Egyptian Motorsynthesis," who we called "Moe Moe").

When I, as an adult, got the dog I have now, I ended up keeping the name the animal shelter had given her, which was "Nakara" (pronounced like "nu" as in "nut" plus "car" plus "uh," as in the 'a' in "about").

We also have been known to call her "nikki," "nick," "car car," "goomby," "goomba," "my little," "seal" (when she puts her ears back and puts her nose in the air to sniff), "wolfy," "foxy coyote," "bear," and "nicka nooby."

My mom had really wanted me to name her Pecos (as in Pecos Bill), but I thought that was better for a boy dog.

I also really like one of her cousin dog's name, which is "Dakota."

I'm pro-adoption reform, but not anti-adoption.
Old 12-29-2001, 06:45 AM
pie

ediesmom, my sister had a cat named Ubu! From the end of David Letterman. How funny. We had a dog named Sanka. My dad worked for General Foods in the 70s and had to sell Sanka to grocery stores. He said Sanka was a worthless product and that Sanka the dog was the same color as the coffe, and that she was a worthless dog. She was but we loved her a lot. We had a lab named Sarge that we bought after a man tried to break into our house, a Siberian named Sweetwater after my mom's hometown. There is a member her named Sweetwater. The best dogname was Lil Abner, a mutt whose mom was named Daisy Mae. We got him from my uncle. Well, that won't be any help but it was fun to share.
Old 12-29-2001, 08:08 AM

I LOVE ANIMALS BEING CALLED REAL NAMES .MY BEAUTIFUL KC SPANIEL IS CALLED MADDISON <MADDOG FOR SHORT> ,SHE VISITS THE SICK IN HOSPITAL AND A HOSPICE .I HAD A CAT CALLED JEREMY GINGER AND ONE LIVES WITH US CALLED CHARLES CHOCOLATE .WE TEND TO CALL HIM CHARLEY BARLEY LEMON SQUWALLY !WHY ?I DON'T KNOW .IT KIND OF ESCALATED .SILLY THING IS WE ALL USE THE LONG VERSION AT ALL TIMES ,EVEN WHEN CALLING HIM IN FOR HIS MEALS .aS TO NAMES FOR PUPPY - HOW ABOUT JASPER ,WILLIAM OR,BILLY ?
Old 12-29-2001, 10:44 AM - Thread Starter

I love all of your ideas and the funny stories. We have always our given our pets lots of silly affectionate nicknames in addition to their real names also. I am starting to feel creative!
Old 12-29-2001, 10:59 AM

Hi Javamom ,
Just letting you know that Charley Barley Lemon Squawally fractured maddison's leg with a single bite ,Maddog needed joint removed ,bone graft and metal plate and pins .They are good friends now and Maddog prefers to circulate a story of how she saw of a gang of pitbulls off single handedly !ahem!Any way back to your subject - Thomas ,Jackson ,Griff ,Doggy Woggy Lemon Squwoggy !!!hee hee
Old 12-29-2001, 11:49 AM

When we adopted our puppy two years ago, we let our kids pick her name. They finally settled on Luna which our 6 yo dd chose b/c it's Spanish for moon and our dog is mostly white. (A hound).
Old 12-29-2001, 01:28 PM

We just got a new puppy a month ago also! Ours is a girl named Daisy after my favorite flower. The new puppy thing is fun/tiring, huh? Our beloved 13 year old dog, Sophie died a while ago and we just couldn't live without a dog any longer. (The rabbit, poisonous toads, and various fish just weren't enough!) Good luck with the name! When I was in college, I had a great boy dog named Chauncey...always loved that name!
Old 12-29-2001, 01:38 PM

I have a malamute named Bodie, and a friend who named her golden retriever the same thing. Such a friendly, loving name.
Old 12-29-2001, 09:18 PM

: ok, perhaps I'm just a big loser but ubu is not from David Letterman, but Family Ties... "Sit, Ubu, sit. Good dog! ARF!"

Um. I had a big crush on Michael J. Fox in the eighties, ok?

My BIL has a golden retreiver named Zeke. He is a fireball. DH's nickname for him? Zekey Wekey Piggy Wiggers. And we used to have a big ol Rottie named (by previous owners) Jamie. We called her Jamers or Honeypup.

My first pet, at age four, was a cat I named Butter Cindy.
Old 12-29-2001, 09:25 PM

A friend grew up on a farm - They had a cow named "Delicious." :
Old 12-29-2001, 09:40 PM

Well joesmom ,
What a fantastic ,eccentric name - Zekey Wekey Piggy Wiggers -
I hope that the original mama has plenty of ideas for a puppy name now .
Old 12-29-2001, 10:34 PM

My first kitten is named Rory, which means "Red King". He's a red tabby, and very kingly - we knew he'd be a little king even when we'd just acquired him at 2 weeks of age.

Anya, our newer kitten was named so because she's the spitting image of a Russian Blue (in actuality she's a mixed breed, ex-feral streetkitten). So I wanted a Russian name for her, and naturally Anastasia came to mind. However, my partner nixed that for being too long, especially since she was so tiny (just ounces) when we acquired her. We both liked Anya, a diminuitive form of Anastasia, and were very pleased to know that it means "resurrection" - a perfect name for a feral given new life as a housecat!

I spent so much time combing baby name definitions looking for ones that fit my kitties! Have fun naming your new pup!
Old 12-29-2001, 10:44 PM

Okay, since I love my dog so much, I must add mine.

Our dog begotten from the flea market was named Daisy, who over time morphed from Puppy, to Pooper Dooper, to Dooper, to Doops.

So now she is Doops, and only Daisy when she is getting into the garbage.

Of course since our 4 week old son arrived, she went from the Doops to "that damned dog".

Just kidding.
Old 12-29-2001, 11:20 PM

I've had a lot of dogs in my life- growing up and living on a farm for a while... I'll list all the names I can remember:
Jar Boy
Sambo
Ollie
Kirby
Alphie McPhee
ToTo
ToTo 2
Jackson
Hubert
Pheonix
Arctica
Polar
Panda
Sheema
Coyota
Buddy
Waldo
Micky
Turk
Lady
Kitty
Winter
Aussie
Zach
Tasha
Brujo (pronounced brew-ho)
Midnight
Pipe
Brandy
Zoey
Old 12-29-2001, 11:25 PM

: What a lot of dogs .Bet you've got the best memories .How great for a child to have so much access to "man's best friend "
Old 12-30-2001, 02:01 AM

When I was a kid we had Dogbone(I was a three), peanut, and butter.
We now have Pepito after the son of the spanish embassador in the Madeline stories. It took us about a month or so to name him
Old 12-30-2001, 04:23 AM

Okay, we're lame. Our first dog was named mixed breed Doggy (hey, it worked!). The second, however, was a Dachshund, which was named Schnitzel. But, that soon got shortened to Nitter. The third dog, a Goldren Retriever, was named Goldie. Can't say we get many points for originality!
Old 12-30-2001, 06:19 PM

I know what you mean about having a hard time finding a name. I had the same prroblem thinking of a user name. My dog's name is cosmo...
Old 12-31-2001, 01:54 AM

Our dog is named Lola--but mostly we call her Monkeyhead...not sure why. DH used it and it stuck. Good luck!

User Tag List