car accident insurance questions - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 07-01-2005, 08:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i just got rear ended. my neck hurts a bit--i could feel it jerk forward when they hit me. my boys seem fine. my car has some damage.

it turns out that the driver was uninsured. i got all the info, but it had expired.

my company is being awesome. i have a $100 deductible and they will get my car fixed and replace the car seats. they will also get me a rental car.

my question is about my neck. i can either use MedPay through my insurance or i can do a uninsured motorists bodily injury claim. do any insurance mamas know which i should do? or both? what are the advantages/disadvantages? should i go see a physician? then go to my chiropracter? do i need to get the boys checked out?

thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 07-01-2005, 08:58 PM

OMG, I'm so sorry

I don't know the answer to your question re: medpay, but I would suggest you have the boys looked at. You need to be looked at, too, sometimes injuries don't even surface right away. I am so sorry about your neck

~Joan, Happy mom to 2 beautiful kiddos, one new puppy and 2 lovely felines
#3 of 8 Old 07-01-2005, 09:29 PM

Same thing happened to me, except I was down for a while and could barely move until I went to the chiropractor. Your personal injury insurance (PIP) through your car insurance should pay any medical bills. They payed for me to go to the chiropractor for about 4 years, plus I got $3000 in pain and sufferring ( the guy who hit me also had no insurance).
Wait at least 6 months before accepting any offers from your insurance for P & S, and what they offer should be 2-3 times your medical bills.
Definitely go get yourself and your kids checked out, and don't be afraid to go to the chiro. That's what you pay insurance for!
#4 of 8 Old 07-01-2005, 09:30 PM

I would go to my chiropractor, and not involve insurance. Even though it wasn't your fault, they will find a way to raise your premiums.
#5 of 8 Old 07-01-2005, 09:41 PM

Whiplash doesn't ususally show up right away. I was rear ended several years ago, and I thought that I was fine until I woke up a couple days later in bad pain. Definitely go get checked out!

I'm really not sure what to tell you about the insurance. I would call your insurance company and see what they recommend that you do. I think that if I were you, I'd go ahead and use my UM coverage.
#6 of 8 Old 07-02-2005, 11:57 AM - Thread Starter

thanks everyone! i did decide i had better get the boys checked. the impact on my little ones side has affected the frame of the door, so it had a lot of force behind it.

stafl, i did ask and they said they would put me down as not at fault and not raise my rates. they will try to collect from the other party as well. i don't know, they have always been very ethical.
#7 of 8 Old 07-02-2005, 07:10 PM

My company didn't raise my rates, even though it cost them over $10,000 all told.
Good luck, hope everyone is well.
#8 of 8 Old 07-02-2005, 09:25 PM

to you & your little ones.

Yes, it takes a while to kick in. My best friend was rear ended years ago and she was fine for a few days and then one morning she could barely walk. She spent almost a year going through physical therapy. Do go get checked & the boys too!

I hope you're all ok.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page