Pet Peeves - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 78 Old 07-02-2005, 12:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So what are your pet peeves? I have a few.... I know they are ridiculous but oh well! :LOL

1. I hate it when I can hear people chewing or swallowing their food
2. I cant stand it when people constantly talk about themselves .... like non-stop
3. I cant stand it when people leave the teabag in the cup when they are done

Phew... that was liberating :LOL
#2 of 78 Old 07-02-2005, 12:58 PM

1. smacking of food and gulping of food. :
2. rudeness.
3. people IN MY FACE (unfortunately, that includes my kids...)
4. disrespectful people
5. i know there's more, but i'm in a time crunch right now.
#3 of 78 Old 07-02-2005, 01:10 PM

1.When people say/write "ATM Machine"...what do you think the "M" stands for ?
2. When people say/write "PIN Number".... what do you think the "N" stands for?
3. Referring to an ape (chimpanzee, gorilla, orangutuan, etc) as a monkey.
4. People driving and using a cell phone

Wow, that is liberating.
#4 of 78 Old 07-02-2005, 01:15 PM

Drivers who ignore that bikers/walkers have a right to paved surfaces like them!

Restaurants who lie or try to hide what is in their food.

People who do not clean up after themselves, especially crumbs and spills.

Professors who never return final papers or tests.

Cashiers who are rude to people using FBC and/or coupons.
#5 of 78 Old 07-02-2005, 01:23 PM

Inconsiderate/dangerous drivers

There are more. But, that one will always top the list.
#6 of 78 Old 07-02-2005, 01:34 PM

Kimbalicious I do ALL of those things :

You have shown me the error of my ways :LOL

Ok here's mine:

People who make little mistakes (like, dropping a piece of food on the floor or misplacing something) and then swear over it and get all bent out of shape.

My Etsy Shop
Acorn Dolls~Wool Felt Crowns~Children's Craft Kits~Shooting Stars~Dancing Fairy Rings~Come On Over and Play!
#7 of 78 Old 07-02-2005, 02:12 PM

people that litter...I've been seeing a lot of blatant littering lately & no one seems to even notice

people saying "I seen *fill in the blank*" No, you did not seen it/them/him or her!!! You either saw, had seen, have seen, or will have seen!!! AAARRRGGGHHHHH! Drives me crazy....

I agree with the chewing thing too.

and I know I've said this time and time again but I hate the sound of sneezing. eew.

A
#8 of 78 Old 07-02-2005, 02:15 PM

oh yeah...and people that don't like me. Those people really get on my nerves! :LOL
#9 of 78 Old 07-02-2005, 02:17 PM

1.People who leave their dogs (especially more traditionally aggressive breeds) off leashes in public areas like parks and sidewalks.

2. People who own these unleashed dogs that run up to people and when the uncomfortable recipient of the dogs attention (me, especially with DD) says something or moves me and DD away insist "Oh, he's okay", like I'm concerned about the dogs comfort :

Yeah, I have *dog issues*

3. When passers by have to tell me why my daughter is crying "Oh, she's hungry", "She's tired/cold/hot/overstimulated/bored...." and basically projecting their current mood onto her because having a crying baby clearly means I'm an idiot who needs a baby interpreter.
#10 of 78 Old 07-02-2005, 02:19 PM

Oh, and people who pronounce it EYE-talian.

Can you tell I'm visiting the in-laws?

#11 of 78 Old 07-02-2005, 02:21 PM

People that say "Aks" instead of "ASK"
People that say "An" insead of "AND"
People that say "Er" instead of "OR"
Stupid teenagers that speed down the road in my mobile home park (yeah, I'm trailer trash) the speed limit is 8 MPH, true I don't go 8 MPH, but it is a SHORT row! No cul-de-sac, dead end, is there any reason you need to go 25???
People that speed in parking lots
Spitting, I cannot stand it, I hate seeing it, it makes me what to puke. I litteraly throw whatever is handy at anyone (I know) that hocks in my presence. I want to gag just thinking about it.
And my biggest pet peeve (I think it's an Iowa thing) people that put their license plate renewal tags in the wrong place. Especially since the tags come with DETAILED instructions and a picture showing the idiots the proper place to put the sticker.

Renae wife to J :, Mama to 4.5y/o J-bird and 2y/o A : and E coming in late Dec/Early Jan. My husband had a living donor kidney transplant! :
#12 of 78 Old 07-02-2005, 02:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimbalicious

Wow, that is liberating.
Oooh Oohh!!! Those grate me too!! Damn! I should never have started this thread - Im gonna be having me a LOOONG list of pet peeves when its done! :LOL
#13 of 78 Old 07-02-2005, 02:53 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Dirty socks lying around. Dirty clothes in general creep me out, but dirty socks are the worst by far IMO.

When people say "I'm just saying is all..." or "Yea but still..." in an argument/disagreement. "Yes you are just saying xyz and I still disagree with you. Think of a better argument than that."

Hypocrisy. Drives me batty.

People who hold other people to standards they don't hold themselves to. (Which feeds directly into the hypocrisy I suppose...)

Selfishness, and lying.

slivers

MOLD in my house (sorry current issue )

Leaving oatmeal, baked on cheese, egg, etc on a dish and not soaking or washing it.

"The true measure of a man is how he treats a man who can do him absolutely no good."
peace.gif  Embrace the learning that is happening within the things that are actually happening!    
#14 of 78 Old 07-02-2005, 05:27 PM

People who get in the fast lane only to drive slower than everyone else--and get pissed off if you try to get them to move over so you don't have to unsafely pass them on the right.
People who don't pull over for emergency vehicles--no slowing down is not enough--just pull over--the life they're going to save could be your childs.
People who drive on the shoulder because the highway is blocked--like your time is more important than the other 750 people stuck here--no, no please, you go ahead.
Idiots who go for a nice walk in the country and think it's ok to walk on my property--because in the country all the land is owned by everyone--and then when a big german shepherd backs you into a tree because you're on his property, yelling at me that my dog shouldn't be loose on my property (yep, happened this morning-I almost dread nice days)
I too hate dogs running loose who are not trained--when I lived in town I often walked Havoc off lead, however, he would not even look at people unless I told him he could and he'd never dream of approaching someone--when I saw people, I called him to heel position and leashed him--then peoples loose dogs would run up and the owner says "oh, don't worry, he's friendly!" then get all insulted when I say "well, mines not and he hasn't eaten today"

Ok, I'm just in too pissy a mood to list pet peeves I think :LOL--but I do feel better now!
#15 of 78 Old 07-02-2005, 05:52 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

oops, sorry, pay me no mind.
#16 of 78 Old 07-02-2005, 06:05 PM

unaccountability
hypocrisy
narcissism
disrespect
arrogance
materialism
greed
fascism
toxic chemicals

. . yeah . . . I'm one serious mother.
#17 of 78 Old 07-02-2005, 06:18 PM

1. people flaming others for stating their pet peeves or opinions

2. I don't wanna hear you chew or see your food when you chew - in person OR on the phone.

3. Lateness

Quote:
people IN MY FACE (unfortunately, that includes my kids...)
There are others. These are the 3 that my angry mind can come up with right now.

Quote:
yeah, those too! Also, CSI: Crime Scene Investigation - call it one name or the other! How about CSI: Las Vegas, since the others are CSI: Miama and CSI: New York?

Quote:
people who pronounce it EYE-talian
One of my best friends did this until we (other servers and myself and some friends) laughed at her at work one night (12 years ago) right after I met her. We pointed out that Italians are not from eye-taly.
#18 of 78 Old 07-02-2005, 06:36 PM

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Wow, that is liberating.
Wow, duh!! I feel sooo dumb now, but I DO #1 & 2 but what's worse, now that you made me think about it, I don't even know what "ATM" & "PIN" stand for!! Um, help?

Yes, I totally agree with the ape/monkey thing. And I've seen preschoolers picture books with a picture of an ape labeled "monkey". AND I hate seeing tortoises labeled "turtle".

You know what else bothers me? That so many people say "orangu-TANG" when it's "orangu-TAN".

Also, when people say "I could care less". ARG. Then why DON'T you?? It's "I *couldn't* care less".

North Idaho rural living  mama to: 23 yo DD, 16 yo DS, 8 yo DS, 6 yo DS, 4 yr old DS, 2 yo DD, and 1 yo DS. And someone new coming this Christmas!
#19 of 78 Old 07-02-2005, 06:54 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
When people say Feb-U-ary. There's an R in there. FebRuary. Also when people pronounce cerebral palsy as "cereble" palsy. It's cereBRAL. Again, another R. If someone is very intellectual, very in their head, we don't say, "He's very "cereble". We say he's cerebral.
#20 of 78 Old 07-02-2005, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zjande

Also, when people say "I could care less". ARG. Then why DON'T you?? It's "I *couldn't* care less".

Yeah really. Like, *think* about what you're saying . .
#21 of 78 Old 07-02-2005, 07:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by reader
When people say Feb-U-ary. There's an R in there. FebRuary. Also when people pronounce cerebral palsy as "cereble" palsy. It's cereBRAL. Again, another R. If someone is very intellectual, very in their head, we don't say, "He's very "cereble". We say he's cerebral.
YES!
#22 of 78 Old 07-02-2005, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Wow, duh!! I feel sooo dumb now, but I DO #1 & 2 but what's worse, now that you made me think about it, I don't even know what "ATM" & "PIN" stand for!! Um, help?
Automated Teller Machine & Personal Identification Number.

one more grammar rant:

"whether or not." It's just "whether" people! The "or not" is part of the definition of "whether."
#23 of 78 Old 07-02-2005, 08:50 PM
Dar

People who take their unneutered pit bulls to my beautiful dog park and let them chase and try to bite my beautiful little border collie, who looked panicked but held her own and managed to get away... all we ever heard from the owners (who were behind a stand of trees) was one "Hercules!", which the pit didn't respond to at all, duh... she finally got away and took off for the parking lot, and we ran after her and calmed her down a bit. The owners never came out and said anything, although one of the other dog owners made a cynical remark about how pit owners always claim the dogs have such sweet dispositions... my pup was literally trembling all the way back.

It started with a normal dog romp, three or four dogs running together and chasing each other, but then he just went after her, snarling and growling, and she kept throwing us these panicked looks and I had no idea what to do, because I didn't want him coming after us. Next time maybe I'll bring a baseball bat... or pepper spray... but they were going so fast.

That is my pet peeve of the day... oh, and drivers who can't seem to stay in their own lanes. I'll have more tomorrow, I'm sure.

dar

fambedsingle1.gifSingle mom to Rain (1/93) , grad student, and world traveler earth.gif

#24 of 78 Old 07-02-2005, 09:03 PM

Choices that really aren't: the roofing contractor told us to go down to Home Depot and "pick anything in stock."

There was one color in stock. :
#25 of 78 Old 07-03-2005, 03:10 AM

"Where is it at?" instead of "Where is it?"

BTW, I've never heard the 'r' pronounced in February. According to Merriam Webster online, either pronounciation is correct.

www.m-w.com

Sarah
#26 of 78 Old 07-03-2005, 04:13 AM

Quote:
Add to this "7:00 a.m. in the morning"; uh, that's what a.m. means

food: once it goes in someone's mouth, I don't want to hear from it or see it again

public fingernail clipping ... and not cleaning up afterward; double icky!

please don't say "it don't..."; it makes my eardrums itch

when people are rude to waitresses; ever been a waitress? I have and it's not that much fun

when a woman's hairstyle is such that she has to keep shoving hair out of her face; please let me buy you a barrette

when people presume negative things about my interracial family and then have the stones to state that negative thing to me and/or in front of DD; I don't keep company with ignoramuses, so shut your f@#*ing piehole

damn, that felt good! thanks for the opportunity

wild.gif  kickin' it old school
#27 of 78 Old 07-03-2005, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Yes, I totally agree with the ape/monkey thing. And I've seen preschoolers picture books with a picture of an ape labeled "monkey". AND I hate seeing tortoises labeled "turtle".

You know what else bothers me? That so many people say "orangu-TANG" when it's "orangu-TAN".

zjande,

I'm with you on the tortoise vs. turtle as well. Not to mention the correct pronuciation of orangutang.

DS (at 3.5 y.o.) even corrects people when they mistakenly call an ape a monkey or a tortoise a turtle (can you tell we started him early). What I find most appalling is when books and videos make those mistakes. I don't expect people to know everything, I myself, didn't know the difference between a turtle and tortoise until 2 years ago, but I would think that the fact checkers would catch those mistakes.

Oh rowdypea, how could I not love you despite the fact that you violate all my pet peeves?

Kimba
Who just wrote one long a$$ run-on sentence, which is bound to be someone's pet peeve!
#28 of 78 Old 07-03-2005, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alliwenk
and I know I've said this time and time again but I hate the sound of sneezing. eew.

A
Ah Ah Ah AAACHOOOOOOOO!

Oh 'scuse me....did that bother you alliwenk :LOL
#29 of 78 Old 07-03-2005, 01:58 PM

Dar--my youngest Godson is pretty little but wirey and fast--he's also got a smart mouth and I said to him one day "you're gonna get yourself into trouble with that!" He looks at me and says--"when you're quick--you don't have to be tough" That's pretty much a border collie's mantra
#30 of 78 Old 07-03-2005, 02:00 PM

babybugmama....i reiterate...eew.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page