Okay is this sexist/racist? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 07-24-2005, 09:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We have a store that has a fun room for kids, videos, crayons etc.
Sure half the reason you go is for 30 minutes of peace while they do kid things and you can shop or grab a coffee.

Anyways I go today and recently (three weeks ago) they've changed their policy from 38 inches tall to over 39 inches tall to go into the supervised play room - (plus toilet trained) Okay my son IS 39 inches tall but he didn't measure up to that silly statue type thing..
(my doctor measured him without shoes over 6 months ago...and he was 39 inches then...sigh I guess they are more correct but you can't make a scene infront of your kids)

We left quietly and my son took it very well.

To make a long story short it got me thinking....
Boys are usually on average taller than girls
North American children taller than immigrants from certain countries.

So I got the CDC growth charts...my oldest is half asian and I have friends who have adopted from China so I know that certain groups of people have different growth patterns, average heights..

In America :
75% of Boys are 39 inches or before the age of four
75% of Girls are 39 inches or taller at or beyond the age of four and a half years.

When you look at statistics for Asian children...
Only 50% of Chinese girls would be that height at five years of age
but only 5% of American Girls
and less than 2% of American Boys would not be over 39 inches at five.

Also I have a friend who has drawfism she's just over that at thirty years of age...sigh....

I am writing a letter but?
Is this discrimination even if they don't realise it?

8 might be enough
#2 of 10 Old 07-24-2005, 09:19 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'd say if your child is potty trained and at least 3 yo., talk to them and maybe they'll make an exception. An age restriction would be more fair than a height one, for sure.

breastfeeding, babywearing, homeschooling Heathen parent to my little Wanderer, 7 1/2 , and baby Elf-stone, 3/11!

#3 of 10 Old 07-24-2005, 09:21 PM

I think that they are just trying to use height as an indicator of age, which is dumb in my opinion.

Unassisted birthing, atheist, poly, bi WOHM to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wes (14) Seth (7) Pandora Moonlilly (2) and Nevermore Stargazer (11/2012)  Married to awesome SAH DH.

#4 of 10 Old 07-24-2005, 09:59 PM

I'd write a letter. The store probably hasn't even thought about it this way. I imagine they use the height thing to keep people from lying about their kids' ages.

Shoot, I'd never have thought of it as being sexist or racist, either. But I think you have a point.
#5 of 10 Old 07-24-2005, 10:11 PM

I can understand about the height thing for carnival rides, but my 6 year old is only 43 inches tall.

Unassisted birthing, atheist, poly, bi WOHM to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wes (14) Seth (7) Pandora Moonlilly (2) and Nevermore Stargazer (11/2012)  Married to awesome SAH DH.

#6 of 10 Old 07-24-2005, 11:06 PM

I don't think it's sexist or racist. . .

Did you ask why they changed the policy? was there an incident so bad that it lead to a change ? I can imagine issues that lead to a fully potty trained rule but I don't understand the height requirement.

Myr: wife to John 8/98 and mommy to Willow 06/03, Rowan 04/07 and Linden 02/10
#7 of 10 Old 07-25-2005, 12:45 AM

I don't know but I'm so sorry for your DS. My DD is only 4.5 and already 42". I feel so bad for her because when she was small enough for things like that she was to young to want to do them. Now that she wants to do them she can't and it's not because of something she can control.

I'd write to the company, or honestly, if there isn't an attendant or someone inforcing the "rule" I'd let him play regardless of height.

Chole
#8 of 10 Old 07-25-2005, 12:51 AM

I would ask about the policy. Do they have any gym/jungle gym type equipment? If the kids are running around the smaller ones are more likely to get hurt.
#9 of 10 Old 07-25-2005, 02:35 AM

I hate those height restrictions but for the opposite reason, my kids are tall and when there are height limits, say to get in free to things, I end up having to pay waaay before people with short kids, who might be as much as 2 or 3 years older than my tall kid, have to pay.

The bottom line is that the reason they have these policies is because people lie about their kids' ages. If we all told the truth, it would be much easier.
#10 of 10 Old 07-25-2005, 04:46 AM

yea, the height restriction is stupid, age would be more appropriate, they're trying to be cute and look like a carnival ride.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page