Sea World, Disney Land or Lego Land? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-20-2005, 10:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We are going to be spending a week in Del Mar (So. California) during the end of September and would like to take the kids to one of these places...which would you suggest?

Our daughter will be 2 years 9 months and our son will be 9 months.

We live in Northern CA and our family has a place down there and we spend a few weeks a year there, so there is no rush to do it all in one trip or take the kids before they are ready, which is why I am thinking way to young for Disney.

I have never been to Lego Land, and it has been years since I went to Sea World.

Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2005, 10:59 PM

I'm sure you will get better replies from people who have been to all 3, but our 18 month old has loved Sea World from the time he was 9 mos (loved the aquarium portion in the beginning and loves the fabulous play area now). He also enjoys the shows. We haven't been to Legoland or Disneyland because we're waiting until age 3 for Legoland (so your oldest might love it, from what I hear that's the perfect age) and later for Disneyland. Warning on SeaWorld- every time my DH goes he complains the whole time about how it's too commercial and not as good as the Monterey Bay Aquarium, so if you live in NoCal and have been to the Monterey Aquarium you might be disappointed with SeaWorld. There is a cute book called "Babies Day Out in Southern California" that has lots of ideas for little ones in this area. If you do Legoland, you could do the LaJolla aquarium or the Carlsbad Children's Museum. What about the SD Zoo or Wild Animal Park? Enjoy!
Old 08-21-2005, 05:55 AM

We've been to all three and I love Sea World. I might even like it better than Monteray Bay. It has beluga whales and a giant walrus (which I swear was bigger than dh's truck!). I seriously bonded, nose to nose, with a beluga. I loved watching the polar bears. I felt like I had an experience! Dss loved feeding dolphins and touching the rays. We went on a week day, first thing in the morning, and it wasn't even that croweded. There was also a little playground with water to cool down. Legolands ok, but dss was obsessed with legos at the time, not sure if it would have been THAT cool without his bionicle obsession.
Old 08-21-2005, 06:05 AM

I'd pick Disneyland, because IMO, you get the best value for what you spend. Last I heard, Sea World admission is the same or very close to what Disneyland admission is. My brother and SIL have annual passes to Sea World and have both said that it's gotten really bad, and that everything is dirty, so they've stopped going back. I've had a Sea World annual pass in the past, and it's fun, but I've never walked away from it with that "wow!" feeling that I get from Disneyland. I've never been to Legoland, but I've heard that it's much better for older kids.

You'd be surprised at what you can do with 2 little ones at Disneyland. Most of the rides are baby/toddler friendly, and Disneyland also lets you do a "baby swap", where you and DH can take turns riding the adult rides while one of you watches the kids. I take my DD (just turned 2) to Disneyland frequently, and she loves it. Also, if you go on a Friday or a Saturday, the Disney fireworks are completely amazing. Disney's also kind of neat right now because of the 50th Anniversary celebration. Also, they have a Snow White stage show that's really great (I've heard rumors that they're planning on taking the show to Broadway).

I'd definitely pick either Disneyland or Sea World. I think what it will all come down to is whether or not you want rides and atmosphere or if you want to look at animals. Either way, it will be fun.
Old 08-21-2005, 06:07 AM

My vote is for Seaworld. We've been to all 3. We go to Legoland & Seaworld every Labor Day weekend for the past 3 years (since DS was 2ish) and it's been great.

I enjoyed Legoland more last year, when my DS was 4.5, rather than 2.5, because HE enjoyed it much more, KWIM? But Seaworld was incredible for the whole family.

My 14 month old loves fish/animals and I can't wait for her to see Seaworld (though, sadly, it is a big fish prison. )

10 - boy
5.5 - girl
Old 08-21-2005, 08:08 AM
Banned

At that age Disney is too much... there is very little there that you can do with toddlers. I think Sea World would be a perfect choice.
Old 08-21-2005, 02:24 PM

I would wait for Disneyland, even though I personally love love love it. I am just waiting until we can take the kids.

My SIL just got back from Legoland and Seaworld, and loved Legoland (her dd just turned 3). She couldn't stop raving about it - clean, healthy food choices, tons to do for little little kids. She was not as thrilled about Seaworld. (I haven't been to either.)
Old 08-21-2005, 02:30 PM

Disney would be WAY too much for kids at that age.Sea World would be perfect.There is even a little 'petting' area where you can touch sting rays and starfish.We are going there on Tuesday for my daughter's birthday and we will be taking our 8,5,3, and 6 month old.They always have a great time.
Old 08-21-2005, 03:13 PM

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
I vote Sea World. Even a baby can enjoy watching the dolphins swim around. Sea World San Diego has a wonderful polar exhibit, and the touch tank is super. We've haven't been to that Sea World in a couple of years, but have many happy memories from there. I think it is more baby and toddler friendly than an amusement park.

I'm not a big fan of Disney -- my kids aren't into rides and the whole "YOU ARE HAVING FUN NOW!" thing gets on my nerves. We've never been to Lego Land.

Are you going to the zoo? It has a huge children's section.We went when they kids were really little and took a bus tour of the whole zoo, which they really enjoyed.

but everything has pros and cons  shrug.gif

Old 08-21-2005, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsMoe
At that age Disney is too much... there is very little there that you can do with toddlers. I think Sea World would be a perfect choice.
There's tons of stuff to do at Disney for toddlers, I'm not sure why most people think that it's not toddler friendly.

A good 3/4 of the rides are toddler-friendly. The parades and shows are geared towards little ones too. I take my 2 year old to Disney about once a week or every other week, except during the summer when it's crowded, and she adores it. She loves to ride the train, all of the rides in Fantasyland, the Winnie the Pooh and Buzz Lightyear rides, and her absolute favorite is It's a Small World. DD will very rarely sit still for *anything*, but she'll quietly watch the shows and parades at Disney. Tom Sawyer Island is also really fun for little ones, lots to do and explore. Not to mention the big ships that you can ride around the Rivers of America.

DD's never been overwhelmed or had a meltdown at Disney, and neither have my 2 toddler nephews or any of the other small kids that we've visited with, so it always confuses me when I hear people say that kids are too young for Disney, or that it's too much for them.

Also, Disney has a baby care center on Main Street, with comfy chairs for nursing or rocking baby, and they also have electrical outlets if you need to plug in a breast pump while you're there. I see people with really young babies there all the time, and even the babies can go on most of the rides.
Old 08-21-2005, 03:23 PM

We went to Legoland this past Spring and the kids LOVED it. It was an overcast day so it wasn't real crowded. My kids are 8, 5 and 2. I did not want to do the whole "Disneyland thing" it cost a whole lot more and I felt like it would be overwhelming for our first themepark visit. Legoland had a lot of activities for children of all ages and it did feel very family friendly. I've never been to Seaworld.

If you are a Costco member they have discounted tickets to both Sea World and Legoland (maybe Disneyland too). We ended up saving $70 off the cost of admission. Also there are Southern California "City Passes" that can save on the cost of admission if you wanted to try several different places.
Old 08-21-2005, 03:53 PM

The City Passes are a good deal, but it's a lot of stuff. They cost around $180 or so, and it's 6 days of stuff. I think you get 3 days at Disneyland/CA Adventure, and one day each at Knott's, Legoland, and Sea World. For what you get, it's a good deal, but it's a lot to do.

There's also a place near Knott's called Adventure City. Admission is a LOT cheaper than any of the other parks, and the rides are all kiddie rides. I haven't been, but my nephews love it.
Old 08-21-2005, 04:32 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
If we were looking at those choices my family would go with Sea World. My Dd is a huge sea life/shark lover and we all just love critters.

"The true measure of a man is how he treats a man who can do him absolutely no good."
peace.gif  Embrace the learning that is happening within the things that are actually happening!    
Old 08-21-2005, 05:43 PM

I'd pick Disneyland too. My son has been a bunch of times and he loves it there. He can go on 90% of the rides as well (and could even when he was small, like months old, LOL).

I like Sea World too but Jevin likes more action. He'd rather be DOING stuff than looking at stuff. It's almost the same price too (Disney is $56 and I think Sea World is $48)

I've never done Legoland cause I am waiting until he is a little older.

Desiree

Old 08-21-2005, 05:45 PM

Oh yeah, and I think the Long Beach acquarium is cool too and it's $18 dollars for an adult ticket which is less than half of the price at Sea World. Jevin loves it there too cause they have a water section where the kids can play and squirt each other and stuff.

Desiree

Old 08-21-2005, 06:09 PM

Ds didn't really enjoy disneyland. He was not going to wait in any lines, so we went on two rides. California Adventure has playground areas, disneyland just has tom sawyer island (longline) and the toon town area. He liked riding the bus, and firetruck on mainstreet, the gift shop, ice cream, but mostly he liked the hotel. The crowds and the lines were the problem, though, and we went on a Friday in May .
Old 08-21-2005, 06:31 PM

Fridays and Saturdays are usually the busiest days of the week at DL. May was really crowded for DL too, because it was the kick-off of the 50th Anniversary celebration. Generally, you want to avoid Disneyland between May and Labor Day, and again for Thanksgiving and during Christmas. Any of the other times are non-peak times, and the crowds aren't bad at all.
Old 08-21-2005, 06:35 PM

I'd choose seaworld because it's the one I'd be sure of enjoying the most myself (and they're known for actually being helpful to sea life/conservation/rehabilitiation of animals, etc.). Or Legoland because I've never been and DD and DH really, really like legos. Disneyland I'd wait until they're older.

breastfeeding, babywearing, homeschooling Heathen parent to my little Wanderer, 7 1/2 , and baby Elf-stone, 3/11!

Old 08-21-2005, 08:14 PM

I'd do SeaWorld. DD *loved* aquariums in the very young toddler age and there is plenty to do for a day (we had more than enough and we were there all day in TX).

Old 08-21-2005, 11:49 PM

I live in the area. We haven't gone to Sea World yet because dd has a water phobia . Sea World might be more exciting that Legoland, but Legoland is a nice place. We have a pass that allows us to go every Thursday.

The advantages of Legoland over Disney:
1. Much closer to Del Mar.
2. It is a small park, and less hectic by far than Disney.

There are two neat playgrounds, and a water play area. There are fun rides for your older dd, and a few that the whole family can go on.

Legoland does not have Disney's "wow" factor. I find that a plus but others might find it lacking. Think of it as amusement park light.

The San Diego Zoo is wonderful, as is the Wild Animal Park.
Old 08-22-2005, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleaugustbaby
Fridays and Saturdays are usually the busiest days of the week at DL. May was really crowded for DL too, because it was the kick-off of the 50th Anniversary celebration. Generally, you want to avoid Disneyland between May and Labor Day, and again for Thanksgiving and during Christmas. Any of the other times are non-peak times, and the crowds aren't bad at all.
We went a couple of weeks before the kick off. Maybe it was end of April.
Old 08-22-2005, 01:34 AM

Could have been, because the crowds were bad throughout April because of spring break and the two-fer passes that Disney was doing instead of the So Cal discount that they normally do. From what I heard, they got a huge response to it, as it was a really good deal. I went on April 15 (I only remember the date because it's tax day), and it wasn't bad then at all. I believe that was a Friday.

Quote:
The San Diego Zoo is wonderful, as is the Wild Animal Park.
I the Zoo and the Wild Animal Park. I'm not sure if they'll still be doing it in Sept., but I love to do the Nighttime Zoo thing, where the zoo stays open late and you can see all of the nocturnal animals.
Old 08-22-2005, 01:56 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much for all the responces!

I'm thinking we will do Lego Land. We just went to Marine World (similar to Sea World but up by us) and we frequent the Monterey Bay Aquarium, so we do alot of "fish" stuff. I love Disney as well, but since it is a farther drive maybe we will wait till she is a bit older.

Lego Land is only 15 min or so from our place, so it will be an easy drive.

Has anyone been to the Carlsbad Childrens Museum that was mentioned? We are members of the San Jose Childrens Discovery Museum and we love it. I think we may get into other Children museums at a discount with our membership card.

User Tag List