Mothering Forums

Mothering Forums (http://www.mothering.com/forum/)
-   Talk Amongst Ourselves (http://www.mothering.com/forum/16-talk-amongst-ourselves/)
-   -   thoughts please-update post 7 (http://www.mothering.com/forum/16-talk-amongst-ourselves/344283-thoughts-please-update-post-7-a.html)

CerridwenLorelei 09-18-2005 10:38 PM

my mom just called a few minutes ago
her and her sisters have my grandfather in the ER due to some cardiac issues

( this is the one that was widowed when my best friend my gma died they were married 57 yrs)

He apparently had some trouble on the trip he and his gf were on and didn't tell anyone until today when my mom found him and he couldn't breathe or walk across the room

They were taking him back to the triage when she called.....

mamalisa 09-18-2005 10:58 PM

Thinking good thoughts!

ankh 09-18-2005 11:08 PM

's to you and your family

alicia622 09-18-2005 11:09 PM

Sandrine 09-19-2005 12:02 AM

I'll be thinking of him. Positive thoughts his way~~~~~~~

Lucky Charm 09-19-2005 12:08 AM

I am sorry to hear about your grandpa.

My guess is that they will put him in a room with a monitor, attach him to all sorts of things, give him supplemental oxygen and do an EKG, Chest Xray and labs that include coagulation panels and cardiac enzymes. Possibly a CT of his chest.

I am merely speculating as I do not know your grandpas history. I only know what we do in our ER. Please PM me if you have any questions

CerridwenLorelei 09-19-2005 01:08 AM

unfortunately I have been down that road so many times with family members and self I know the drill too well UGH

well the update is that on their trip he did in fact have a heart attack and the stubborn old mule would not go to the er in the state they were in when the gf tried to get him to *sigh*

They had one icu bed left and are putting him in there tonight and his reg dr will decide whether to keep him or transfer him tomorrow.I am hoping transfer because that particular hospital has pretty much become the last stop on the way out and isn't good for a lot more than that or patching you up just enough to get you to a real care facility..

Lucky Charm 09-19-2005 01:20 AM

Ugh indeed

JessicaS 09-19-2005 01:21 AM

Cerridwen,

you are always in my prayers and thoughts but I will certainly add your grandfather to that.

luvmy3boys 09-19-2005 04:47 AM

charmarty 09-19-2005 04:50 AM

geez cerri, I just saw this. I am so sorry!

will be thinking positive thoughts for you and him~~~~

Ruthla 09-19-2005 10:16 AM

I hope your grandfather gets well soon!

Red 09-19-2005 11:17 AM

stafl 09-19-2005 11:58 AM

mamadege5 09-19-2005 12:01 PM

KayleeZoo 09-19-2005 12:24 PM

Thinking about your grandpa

granolamom 09-19-2005 12:28 PM

Hugs to you and your family..please keep is all updated..

Love and Light,
Lee

rachdoll 09-19-2005 12:30 PM

ombra*luna 09-19-2005 09:31 PM

I'll be thinking of your grandpa - I hope he's OK.

celestialdreamer 09-19-2005 09:35 PM

charmarty 09-21-2005 04:10 AM

how is he now?

CerridwenLorelei 09-21-2005 02:46 PM

for the cath results and they said they could not do the stint or angio-that if he was going to survive the next 48 hrs he needed bypass BUT there was a chance he wouldn't make it due to his vessels being thinned by glucophage and plavix...
the heart surgeon just rocked. He came in and told it like it was and sugar coated nothing...
he had "emergency'" bypass late last night. dh and i got home around 2 this morning
We got to see him around 12:30 am in recovery

I was surrounding by the aunt that I don't get along with and who also has not accepted his gf who was there and her family who has no clue of my aunt and cousin;s disapproval .. ( there is something to that in a minute)
aunt is coming around a bit after seeing his face light up when she came in...

I *knew* it wasn't his time. I could feel it in and I had a little bird that told me....

He has a dnr and living will but asked the surgeon "when can we do it?"
and he did waay better than they thought-the plavix was a BIG concern -but he is 81 and he goes dancing 6 nights a week most weeks so he was active..

Now here is where he needs his butt kicked...he said he was 'pretty sure" at the dance Friday he had had a heart attack. But the 20 miles to next town was too far to drive ( umm they went out of state) and 'besides that I felt better later"
and sat he said he felt better after throwing up and danced for half an hour !!

STUBBORN ( now dh knows the other 1/4 I get it from..)

now
this morning my mom let me know she wanted me to tell the gf's dd to back off since my aunt is barely coming around
I just met the woman last night!!! and my mom has known the ill feelings for the last two years-I say if she wants that done she can do it. She can deal with the fallout of all the daughters not dare telling their dad how they felt..
I just can't do that right now. I was told to stay out of it when I thought they should come clean with the old man..why should I be in it now?
and i know more of the truth than they do cause my gma fessed up before she died about the reason for her jealousy and gpa and gf didn't become that til loooong after gma died

they are in their 80's they both had looong marriages and happy families and them being together doesn't erase that

and I think her telling him when she thought she would lose him helped him fight more kwim???

the funny part is mom forgot his glasses and dentures so good thing I had to go back for my bag and dh ..
I have gpas teeth and eyes Lol!!

Lucky Charm 09-21-2005 02:59 PM

Families can be so darn complicated! Jeesh!

Glad to hear your dad is recovering well

CerridwenLorelei 09-22-2005 03:16 AM

no my dad died in 1990 and my neighbor who has been like a dad to me died in August ( man has it really been a month??))

THis is grandad.

who btw was really glad to have his glasses and dentures back-mom got too excited this am when we got called back to recovery and left them in the waiting room
I had to go back for dh and bag and there they were!!

Ok so I am still sleep deprived -fun with a dental procedure in two hours -still not sure how I let them talk me into that
I hate the dentist office ( no offense smilemomma...)

charmarty 09-22-2005 07:52 PM

huge hug to you sweetie!

sending him some good healing vibes

CerridwenLorelei 09-22-2005 07:53 PM

so I am waiting by phone in case I need to hook it back to FW...