Any ex-smokers in the house? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 42 Old 09-21-2005, 01:15 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just *really* wanted a cigarette, so much that I actually went looking for one and if I had found one, I would have smoked it.

WTF??? I quit 5 years ago!
#2 of 42 Old 09-21-2005, 01:19 AM

I smoked since I was 15, I quit with both my pregnancies but do not plan on starting up again. It's been a smidge over a year and the only time one sounds nice is when I am drinking. I really can't stand the smell of it, I notice that *most* of the time it just makes people look trashy, and older than they really are. Even if I should want one for some weird reason I won't ever ever ever have a single puff. It seems the only way I can quit is to get pregnant and that's not going to be happening again :LOL

Unassisted birthing, atheist, poly, bi WOHM to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wes (14) Seth (7) Pandora Moonlilly (2) and Nevermore Stargazer (11/2012)  Married to awesome SAH DH.

#3 of 42 Old 09-21-2005, 01:20 AM

I actually went and bought a pack 'cause I wanted one so much (not recently). It made me really sick.

Homebirth Midwife biggrinbounce.gif

After 4 m/c, our stillheart.gif is here!

#4 of 42 Old 09-21-2005, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apricot
I actually went and bought a pack 'cause I wanted one so much (not recently). It made me really sick.
I'm an ex-smoker too, and this happens to me once every six months or a year. I guess it's a good reminder of why I quit. :LOL

My Etsy Shop
Acorn Dolls~Wool Felt Crowns~Children's Craft Kits~Shooting Stars~Dancing Fairy Rings~Come On Over and Play!
#5 of 42 Old 09-21-2005, 01:23 AM
Ok

Former smoker managing to keep the habit at bay. High stress and high boredom days seem to be the worst (meaning tempting).

I might be in a minority, but I actually still enjoy going outside with my smoking friends and getting a little sidestream. I'm honestly never tempted to smoke and they all swore they wouldn't enable me.

Hopefully you're not jonesing b/c of stress.
#6 of 42 Old 09-21-2005, 01:27 AM

I quit 12/31/99

Every now and then I really think about having another. DH smokes a little. Sometimes it's tougher than others.
#7 of 42 Old 09-21-2005, 01:28 AM - Thread Starter

I just hate that they *still* have a hold on me. Why would I ever want to smoke another cigarette? There is no good reason and yet, I have this irrational desire, every so often, to smoke one. Nicotine addiction is evil. I swear if either DC ever chose to smoke, I don't know what I would do... I might stalk them, with a fire extinguisher.
#8 of 42 Old 09-21-2005, 01:31 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenSizzled
Hopefully you're not jonesing b/c of stress.
Stress, yes, a bit - drunkenness, a tad also. It's not all bad.
#9 of 42 Old 09-21-2005, 01:34 AM

I quit 10/10/01.

I don't get cigarette cravings, but that's because I'm hooked on nicotine gum. I quit chewing the gum when I was pg and nursing, but I was stupid and started it up again.

DH chews it too. We are fiends. I won't even tell you how much money we spend on it, it's mind-boggling. A lot of our financial worries would be solved if we just quit buying it. We're so stupid.
#10 of 42 Old 09-21-2005, 01:39 AM

I started smoking in 1977, in high school. Was smoking a pack a day by 1980, in college. Continued anywhere from a pack a day to two packs a day for the next 17-some-odd years. I quit the first week of September of 1994, almost immediately after meeting DH.

DH quit, BTW, ten years before I did, in September of 1984. And he'd smoked for about the same length of time, 17 or so years.

And we BOTH still have dreams where we're smoking (you know, the ones where you wake up feeling like you've had a cigarette) and sometimes still feel the urge to have one.

Which is very, very, extremely frightening.

IYKWIM.

#11 of 42 Old 09-21-2005, 01:42 AM

I think we all KWYM, Amy.

What I wouldn't give for the relief of smoking - if only it didn't come with the NEED before hand. It's only the desperation that makes it so sweet. It's like falling into a fresh made bed after being up for 36 hours. The bed is not any nicer than usual, it's just that you need it so much.

#12 of 42 Old 09-21-2005, 01:43 AM

I quit for nearly a year - from the minutes I found out I was pregnant until a few days ago. My DD is 7 weeks and colicky/refluxy/high needs and the stress was way too much.....I'm feeling really guilty now that I threw away the hard work I put into quitting
#13 of 42 Old 09-21-2005, 01:50 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apricot
I It's like falling into a fresh made bed after being up for 36 hours. The bed is not any nicer than usual, it's just that you need it so much.
Well said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grypyx831
I'm feeling really guilty now that I threw away the hard work I put into quitting
That is a big part of what keeps me from smoking. I don't want to start again from square one.

BTW - my smoking creds, lol - I started smoking at 14, smoked heavily for 15 years, stopped 5 years ago, cold turkey. I was having trouble breathing.
#14 of 42 Old 09-21-2005, 01:51 AM

I hear ya! I have sooooooooooo wanted one in the last few weeks. The stress level in my family has been tremendously high.
#15 of 42 Old 09-21-2005, 01:53 AM

I'm an ex smoker.Quit 7/1997 I dont think that I would ever smoke another cigarette again in my life. Although I did smell a clove cigarette this summer and thought about it. I didnt, but...it does suck that it still has a hold on my life.

darkstar
#16 of 42 Old 09-21-2005, 02:12 AM

I've had some relief from mega cravings when quiting by dry-smoking. I just grab a cigarette shapped object and sit and "smoke" it. The breath pattern of in-hold-purse lips-out is almost a trance or meditation to me.

#17 of 42 Old 09-21-2005, 02:15 AM

Can I post? I'm not a smoker or former smoker but i just wanted to say that I have lived with a smoker and have seen first hand the hold it can have on you.

Having seen that...and seen him quit....and seen him go back....

I have a great deal of respect for anyone who can quit. It is a huge accomplishment and one to be very proud of. So when you are craving one, does it help to pat yourself on the back and realize what a difficult thing you did and how successful you have been to not go back? I'll be your personal cheerleader!

I am proud of you for quitting. I believe you are a strong person who cares about your health and your longevity. I believe you love your family and want to take care of yourself to the best of your ability so that you can take care of them!

"To err is human, to forgive, canine." - Unknown
#18 of 42 Old 09-21-2005, 03:12 AM

I was a smoker also since the age of 14, quit to have DS#1, went back the second he weaned (way too soon), and then smoked for almost 7 more years before getting pregnant with DS#2. I quit for good on March 28, 2001.

I still crave them sometimes. It's mind-boggling. There is nothing else on this earth that makes me this way. I even gave up sugar on 3/31/2004 and I don't miss that!!!

However, on the plus side, since quitting for the first time in my life I am physically active and have lots of energy. I bought my road bike with the $$$ I had accumulated in my "cigarette jar" where I put a pack's worth of funds every day during the pregnancy. I have not had a cigarette since the day I quit - I'm too scared to even try it.

to all the ex-smokers here!!!
#19 of 42 Old 09-21-2005, 03:14 AM
Banned

I quit and have no craving to go back ever...
#20 of 42 Old 09-21-2005, 03:17 AM

What a timely thread. I don't know why I was so vulnerable today, but it took everything I had not to mug this woman for her nice, shiny new hard pack of Marlboro Reds.
#21 of 42 Old 09-21-2005, 03:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by famousmockngbrd
I just *really* wanted a cigarette, so much that I actually went looking for one and if I had found one, I would have smoked it.

WTF??? I quit 5 years ago!
I feel you! I actually had a smoke this summer. 2x. Once I was over indulging in the beer ( hadn't drank in over 5 years..) with my nieghbor who is a heavy smoker ( my fav kind too!) I bummed one fron her, and then another.

The next morning it felt like a dinosaur pooped in my mouth.

but ya know what??? Just by doing that once ( I had quit cold trukey 4 years before this and did not even have a drag since) I started craving a smoke BAAAADDDD. So, one day I went over, and asked her for a smoke. SHe gave it,I light it, and it killed my lungs so much, I thought I wouldn't be able to breath again, and the smell! YUCK! Plus I got a huge smokers headache. Have not carved one since. I will NOT ever smoke again.

Good luck to ya and stregnth at ya too!
#22 of 42 Old 09-21-2005, 06:42 AM

Woah, I needed this thread right now I didn't even think to post something like that here, but I'm glad somebody did. I soooo want to smoke, it's not funny. Then I sit here tearing myself up about it, because I have so many reasons not to. My infant daughter is the obvious one. I realllllly really really REALLY want my partner to QUIT. I worry so much about him. He's 15 years older than me and I want him to be around for a long time, but his smoking scares me that I'll end up alone sooner than I should be in the future. His own father died when he was only 18 from lung cancer (but he always says about how his dad smoked ALL THE TIME, and not just cigarettes either... and uses that as an excuse that it won't happen to him in the same way). You'd think he'd be more sensitive to that since his dad left him while he was still pretty young. And his brother was only 9 or 10! Anyway, I just want him to quit.
I just recently saw my own father smoking on a fluke... I had no idea he was hiding something like that. So now I have him to worry about too.

It's all so exhausting, over stupid cigarettes... agh.

grypx831- I'm not about to preach, so don't worry I just wanted to say that my story is very similar to yours. I picked up smoking again for a little while when my babe was about the same age. I felt very guilty too, and is the reason why I quit again. I ended up quitting completely on a whim. I think if I had thought about it beforehand, it wouldn't have happened. I haven't smoked again in awhile, and I don't think I will, but I can't say that it's easy. Especially with my partner still smoking. Gah. Now I'm noticing how bad he stinks again, yuck.

darkstar - maybe I shouldn't ask, but did you smoke cloves? I never smoked regular cigs, just cloves... which were supposedly worse healthwise. I crave that sugary taste. Yarg.

I hate that such a trivial thing rules my brain at times.

Weirdo Mama to amazing Aurelia, age 9 & Ember Roslyn, age 3!
#23 of 42 Old 09-21-2005, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkstar
I'm an ex smoker.Quit 7/1997 I dont think that I would ever smoke another cigarette again in my life. Although I did smell a clove cigarette this summer and thought about it. I didnt, but...it does suck that it still has a hold on my life.

darkstar
Me too! I'm an ex smoker, quit cold turkey 3 yrs ago - and I almost went out a few months ago and bought a pack of djarum cloves! I smoked both cigs and cloves off and on for years. My addiction was telling me if I had a clove cig then it wouldn't be so bad, etc. I too am amazed at the long lasting cravings that pop up every now and again. I miss my morning cup of coffee and a cigarette. Plus a cigarette was always a way to "check out" if life got too rough. I could leave for 10 minutes, sort my thoughts, smoke, relax and come back with a renewed attitude (and a stinky smell!)

Thanks for the craving! :LOL
#24 of 42 Old 09-21-2005, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kate42
I quit 10/10/01.

I don't get cigarette cravings, but that's because I'm hooked on nicotine gum. I quit chewing the gum when I was pg and nursing, but I was stupid and started it up again.

DH chews it too. We are fiends. I won't even tell you how much money we spend on it, it's mind-boggling. A lot of our financial worries would be solved if we just quit buying it. We're so stupid.
Same thing happened to me a few years back. Darn, Nicorette gets to be an expensive way to get your nicotine fix. And in a way it´s worse than the cigarettes themselves because you can chew anywhere, including in movie theaters...

Before qutting all nicotine for good I went back to smoking (combined with the gum) then finally stopped everything by taking Zyban (same as wellbutrin) for a few weeks. I´ve never looked back and don´t miss smoking/ nicotine gum.

Actually, I think smoking looks and smells downright nasty.

On a vain note: It´s scary how it wrecks your looks. I´m in my early 30s but my skin looks way older than that. There´s no gaining back what was lost in elasticity.
#25 of 42 Old 09-21-2005, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyRED
I hear ya! I have sooooooooooo wanted one in the last few weeks. The stress level in my family has been tremendously high.
In those situations try to keep in mind that cigarettes will ADD stress to your life, not relieve it in any way.

Good luck CrazyRed and all you other posters fighting off the cravings.
#26 of 42 Old 09-21-2005, 07:59 AM

I smoked from 16 to my 30th birthday. It's been 8 years since I had a cigarette and I have honestly not craved one in a mightly long time. Nicotine gum...now that's another story :

Alicia DH Mike DS Gage Lola & Zeus Fishy Dishy, Charkey and Shark
RIP Sidney 1994-2010 RIP Charlie Brown 2008-2010
#27 of 42 Old 09-21-2005, 08:08 AM

I quit smoking in Nov 1999 becaue i got pg (ended in m/c) and DP begged me not to start back up sice we would start ttc again soon so i didnt ... and have not smoked since then ... I think they are gross and disgusting. I am the worst when it comes to people who smoke ... BLECHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
#28 of 42 Old 09-21-2005, 10:13 AM

Another former smoker here :

Yes, there are days when I still want one...BTW, I quit in Feb '97. Dh and I both quit when he joined the AF. Him because he had to, me because I wanted to support him. We both started back right after we got orders. :LOL!

There are days when I want to follow someone that's walking with one. But like PPs have said, I'd hate to have to start all over again. And my ds is getting to a huge age of understanding about addictions....so do I really want to explain to him that I was that weak? Nope.
#29 of 42 Old 09-21-2005, 10:44 AM

I am an ex-smoker as of 10 days ago. I just quit again and am actually doing OK this time. It is the longest I have gone since I started again after dd was born.

I started at 16 and quit at 28 when I got pg. I lasted a whole week after dd was born (wicked ppd....not that that is a good excuse....). I had a couple of times in college when I "quit" due to non-smoking roommates and boyfriends but was always sneaking them on the sly. Now that dd is getting old enough to remember me smoking, both dh and I are trying very hard to quit once and for all.

The hardest part is that all of our close friends smoke. it is really hard to be around that when we are trying to quit.
#30 of 42 Old 09-21-2005, 11:00 AM - Thread Starter

We rock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoopervegan
I am an ex-smoker as of 10 days ago.
Wahoo! Hang in there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoopervegan
The hardest part is that all of our close friends smoke. it is really hard to be around that when we are trying to quit.
I hear ya. DH still smokes, so does my mom - the two people I probably see the most often. Plus all my old friends smoke, but they live far away so I don't see them very often. For some reason none of my "new" friends smoke.

We have a "no smoking in the house" rule, that helps a lot.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page