How clean is your house? How clean should it be with kids? How clean for CPS? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 30 Old 09-21-2005, 05:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
So.. how clean should a house be if you have kids?

That seems to be what most bored old women do in my neighbor hood is call CPS on all the mothers who have messy houses. By messy Im meaning a childs room with toys threw all over the floor, sock drawer pulled out, covers laying off the bed in the floor, things like that. Also they call for dishes in the sink (not stanky rotting food, just dishes)

They have nothing else to do with their time. My aunt is constantly telling me "make sure your house is always spotless" She works as a CPS worker and honestly scares me to death. They take kids all the time for messy houses, and to me they wouldn't even be messy. Nasty is what I think is bad, but my aunt says they will take kids for messy kids bedroom, a few dishes in the sink, clean laundry that hasn't been folded and is laying all over the couch, just stupid things like that.

I think what they should be taking them for is rotting food, glass on the floor, feces smeared on the wall, no water, no toilet, things like that, but a few dirty dishes?

Im wondering how clean your house is? Mine is honestly not that clean. I have three kids and it is hard to keep up. In my kitchen there is a few dirty dishes, a few bottles with breastmilk in the bottom that I haven't cleaned yet, and grocerys that I haven't put up yet sitting on the counters, my daughters room is terrible, she loves it that way. The living room is actually pretty spotless, my bathroom is yucky right now (not un livable though) and my sons bedroom is okay, nothing in the floor, but clean laundry is on the bed.

Maybe I should be cleaning instead of on here, but tell me how clean is your house?

my kids are 10, 7, and 4. i'm due any day now
#2 of 30 Old 09-21-2005, 05:12 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm surprised that your aunt is filling your head with such scary ideas... Yes, there are always a few workers out there who are either burned out or have agendas who will threaten you for absurd reasons like a dirty house. But, by and large, your house does have to be extremely filthy for them to sweep your kids out from under you. On the contrary, my friend who was a CPS worker and manager for years (and is nevertheless nervous because she's a lesbian with a partner and two kids, one of whom cosleeps) tells me that spotlessly clean houses make workers more nervous than houses that look reasonably lived in. She said that she's seen so many cases of severe abuse out of homes where the parents felt the need to order and control their lives that perfectly.

That said, I should really clean up this place. Ick... my house is in shambles...
#3 of 30 Old 09-21-2005, 05:13 PM

My house is not super clean and we just passed the foster care licensing and homestudy process so it was good enough. As far as I know, they don't care about messy houses or even a little bit dirty houses. It's when the mess and dirt becomes a health hazard- like not putting food in the fridge, leaving dirty dishes out for a week, letting food rot/mold around the house, animal waste not cleaned up, bug infestation- really gross stuff.

Alicia DH Mike DS Gage Lola & Zeus Fishy Dishy, Charkey and Shark
RIP Sidney 1994-2010 RIP Charlie Brown 2008-2010
#4 of 30 Old 09-21-2005, 05:13 PM

Honestly... the cleanliness and neatness of my house varies depending on what room you're talking about. The bedrooms are always very neat and tidy. This is because they're teeny lol and there's no room for toys/books in there - besides all we ever do in there is sleep, we don't play in there. So that makes it easy. The kitchen/breakfast room/family room are clean, but in varying states of disarray depending on time of day and what all we've been doing that day. This is the part of the house where we spend 95% of our time. I pick up, do dishes, etc. throughout the day, but sometimes (e.g., after lunch) there are dishes piled high and toys strewn all over. But if CPS came to my house 30 minutes after the kids were down for their nap, they would think I was June Cleaver because I do a big pick up and do the dishes, etc. as soon as the kids fall asleep. Hmmm what else... the living room and dining room are literally never used (go figure). So the only problem with these rooms is that they tend to be our dumping ground for clutter - e..g., I use our dining room table to pile laundry and to put things that "belong somewhere else." They get picked up a few times a week. In summary, if CPS came to my house it would be a) clean, b) odor-free lol, and c) in varying states of clutter and mess depending on day of week and itme of day. I have 3 little kids after all. I doubt that they would expect to see sterile, perfect surroundings??
#5 of 30 Old 09-21-2005, 05:17 PM

Mine is not that clean. I'd rather spend time with my family than clean

It seems to me that the important bit of your aunt's warning is not to keep your house spotless but to NEVER let CPS in without a warrant. They'll tell you that you have to, but you don't. No warrant, no entry.

-Angela
#6 of 30 Old 09-21-2005, 05:25 PM

I keep it as clean as possible because I get distracted if it's messy. I can play better with my kids if I'm not noticing the floor that needs to be mopped or the pile of mail that needs to be sorted, kwim? Somehow I always have a pile of clutter somewhere or a messy closet, but with kids I don't think anyone would expect it to be perfect!

When the kids are in bed at night, I go room to room and make sure everything is in order. I do the laundry, spot clean the bathrooms and kitchen, sweep and vacuum. We load dirty dishes into the dishwasher as we use them during the day, run the dishwasher after dinner and unload it before bed. On the weekends, I change the sheets, mop the floors, scrub the bathrooms and kitchen, dust, etc.
#7 of 30 Old 09-21-2005, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetangelbrynlie
By messy Im meaning a childs room with toys threw all over the floor, sock drawer pulled out, covers laying off the bed in the floor, things like that. Also they call for dishes in the sink (not stanky rotting food, just dishes) ...

...my aunt says they will take kids for messy kids bedroom, a few dishes in the sink, clean laundry that hasn't been folded and is laying all over the couch, just stupid things like that.
if that's the case, then i'm DOOMED.

... going to clean my house now.
#8 of 30 Old 09-21-2005, 06:20 PM

What alegna said. No warrant, no entry. Your home is yours to enjoy, not to panic over.

My place is pretty danged clean, but I only have one laid back 6 month old. We'll see how long that lasts. :LOL

I grew up in a home that was often FILTHY. My mom was chronically depressed and refused to seek treatment outside her church. so we had food rotting in pots on the stove, mildewed laundry on the floor.

And did I not turn out to be attractive, articulate, and healthy?

:LOL Try not to sweat it too hard. Tell your aunt to come scrub if she's soooo worried.
#9 of 30 Old 09-21-2005, 06:28 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Right now it's not so clean, but I know Rose will be here tomorrow to wash the floors and tidy up whatever I'm not able to get to. I've been sick all week, but I'm feeling a bit better because I was able to nap with ds today.

My laundry is done- there's about one load's worth of laundry in the hamper and one load neatly folded in a basket waiting to be put away. The dishwasher is full of clean dishes and my sink is clean, but the table needs to be cleaned up.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19 (in Israel for another school year), Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 12(homeschooled)
#10 of 30 Old 09-21-2005, 06:32 PM

#11 of 30 Old 09-21-2005, 06:34 PM

My house isn't CLEAN, but it's not DIRTY.

Kitchen has dishes in the sink, living room has toys scattered around, my bedroom has baskets of clean clothes waiting to be put away, the only rooms here that are pretty much spotless are the kids rooms and the bathroom.

I think having a messy house is fine, as long as it isn't putting a child's life in danger. Also, there is a BIG difference between "messy" and "dirty". Yes, I might have random stuff scattered around, but the stuff that is laying around (toys, books) is clean.

I don't see how it's possible for someone with children to keep their house spotless all the time.

knit.gifMom of Many  jumpers.gif

#12 of 30 Old 09-21-2005, 06:35 PM

It's clean enough for us, most likely for CPS if they were to pop in right now. We have laundry in progress (but we always do), the dishes are drying in the rack, etc. Childrens services is usually most concerned with cleanliness as it relates to safety...like the things mentioned above. A messy bed is not "dirty".

"The true measure of a man is how he treats a man who can do him absolutely no good."
peace.gif  Embrace the learning that is happening within the things that are actually happening!    
#13 of 30 Old 09-21-2005, 06:43 PM

#14 of 30 Old 09-21-2005, 06:46 PM

Overall, my house is clean dishes done & laundry folded put away, beds usually made, however it is cluttered. I have the typical Fly Lady Hot Spots, that can get out of control!!!! Ok time to clean up a hot spot!!!

Cristina - "If you find it in your heart to care for somebody else, you will have succeeded." Maya Angelou
#15 of 30 Old 09-21-2005, 07:27 PM

to OP -- your aunt maybe 'working her adgenda" to get you clean up that has nothing to do with CPS -- just like my mom used to tell me mosters only living in messy closets, and hid under beds if there werer toys to play with....

I worked with kids int he system for 9 years (as a house parent in a group home for kids in state custdy and at an amergncy shleter -- at the shelter we got the kids that were court orded out of the house, or on a very rare occsion a kid pulled out of a life or death situation who's case would be in court the next morning -- still there on judge's order -- we give the kids a home while the court decided to give them to family, send them home or what, or some times for the 6 weeks a family was given to fix things befoe teh child was offical taken, kinda like protective custody).

Rarely did i have a child who had been pulled for the condition of the home -- that is more common the younger a child; a 2 yo might be pulled where as a 10 yo would not be -- but that is based ont he precieved SAFTY and a 10 yo is assumed to be safer in a mess an a 18 month old. the few times i had kids who were pulled for such situations it was waaaaaaaaaay beyond "messy" and more like "condemed". no water, plumbing not working, rats (not mice, rats), human poop and animal poop all over, roaches that would fight you for stuff.......no clean clothing int he whole house, grimy bed sheets......

i have never seen, or personally heard of, a kid pulled for -- dirty dishes (rotten dishs maybe) or an unmade bed (an uncleaned pee soaked bed where the whole house reeked, maybe).........toys that are safe, but messy, nope -- broken glass and knives laying around, maybe.....not only have i not seen it, i haven't heard the sotries for other workers, kids or the like....

the issues are HEALTH and SAFTY and yes they are related to the age of the child.....but still. We are not talking house keeping style here, we are talking neglect and endangerement.

BUT -- even when i had (twice that i can think of) kids pulls for envionmental reasons; the family was given cleaning services; adn the child retruned in 6 weeks without ever really being in the system, we housed them till the house could be cleaned, and the family was given services as the parents really had processing problems. in a case of something like that -- whre the child is not activly being abused or neglected -- no one wants to pullt he kids, frankly there isn't enough room for the ones being beaten, why pull more? the family gets help, and maybe educatation classes......

Actually -- being homeless is not even grounds for looseing you child -- it is not, in and of itself, considered endangerment or neglect (though it could be argued that is is easier to deminstarte E or N in the homless setting); though i think in some states you can be required to stay at a shelter.....we returned a boy to a mom living in a homeless shelter beacuse she was working with the soical worker to get low rent houseing and agreed to stay at the shelter so the boys could go to school.

I think your aunt is talking as an aunt who thinks her neice needs to clean, not as a CPS worker.......

come on -- CPS doesn't pull the kids, the court has to order it...and what CPS worker wants to tell a judge to pull kids based on unwashed breakfast dises and toys all ove rht efloor?? these poeple have bigger issues to deal with, and have their rep to think about too.

ETA: My house is pretty messy right now, we are 1/2 out of storage, and the houseis literally just now being finished around us...i hate it...but it will be better soon....but i am confident that any worker can come in and be ok with us....even though this is the wrost my house has ever been and it is freaking me out, personally.

Aimee

Aimee + Scott = Theodore Roosevelt (11/05) and 23 months later Charles Abraham (10/07)....praying for a little sister; the search starts May 2014
#16 of 30 Old 09-21-2005, 07:33 PM

Your aunt is lying to you. Why would you believe that? You have to know that she is yanking your chain.
#17 of 30 Old 09-21-2005, 07:43 PM

I think your aunt is lying as well. Tell her to grab a scrubbrush and come over if she is so worried about it.

If CPS came over right now they wouldnt find any dishes in the sink (I just did them but on any off day there might be a plate, cup, and a couple of spoons or something!) but there is a big pile of clean laundry in a basket that needs to be folded and my living room always has trucks and blocks strewn across it because ds plays all day. My toilet could use a good scrubbing but the guest one is clean! LOL I have a few magazines laying on my island too and a couple of bills. LOL

I think CPS is more worried about HAZARDOUS filthy conditions (like mold, animal poop/pee, stuff that would make a kid sick) than they are some clutter here and there.

Desiree

#18 of 30 Old 09-21-2005, 08:35 PM

If I could afford a maid there'd be one here every few days. I just despise housework and I usually do just enough to keep from losing my mind.

Right now I have a hundred things to do. I don't mind washing and drying clothes, I just hate putting them away. We have no storage space, so even if they were all clean there'd be nowhere to put them. :LOL

I really think I have a hormone imbalance. I feel good enough to really be productive about one week a month. The rest of the time is taken up with either PMS or Flo. Goody!
#19 of 30 Old 09-21-2005, 09:50 PM
Red

My parents were foster parents for 30 years, and I was for 4. Regualr mess, like you describe, is NOT grounds for taking kids.

In fact, I could tell you more storiesof kids the state should have protected andidn't than kids they took when they shouldn't have. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, it does. But not often, not for just messy houses.

More Boardof health violations, and even then they give teh parents a chance to take teh kids elsewhere and clean up.

Don't worry. ANd don't answer the phone when your aunt calls either. :
#20 of 30 Old 09-21-2005, 10:16 PM

My house isn't that great right now but it's sure not filthy. I would also hope that if any CPS worker came in, they would see a lived in home with the kid's drawings and paintings on the wall, family portraits, a library of good parenting books, homeschool things, stacks and stacks of kid's books, and a backyard that is obviously played in, as well as a garden that is tended to. Even on our bad house days, I would hope that these things show how we really are. I'm also thinking that a lot of the above mentioned things may not be present in the home of someone who deserved to have their children taken away.

Dishes in the sink? Well that's because I cook a lot and the kids help me. It's not such a bad thing. Clean laundry on the bed? That's because I'm doing the laundry and we go through a lot of it. Toys on the floor? Kids live here. There will always be toys on the floor.

I heard once that a spotless home is a sign of a troubled mind. (Or a well-paid maid?)

hang.gif  

#21 of 30 Old 09-21-2005, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alicia622
As far as I know, they don't care about messy houses or even a little bit dirty houses. It's when the mess and dirt becomes a health hazard- like not putting food in the fridge, leaving dirty dishes out for a week, letting food rot/mold around the house, animal waste not cleaned up, bug infestation- really gross stuff.

:

Kim, proud CPS mom to Marnie and my 4 legged kids, Jess, Zander, Oliver, Stumpy and Eddie.
#22 of 30 Old 09-22-2005, 12:28 AM

Tell your aunt you want a housecleaner for Christmas.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#23 of 30 Old 09-22-2005, 07:58 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
well i had a CPS worker in my house a couple of weeks ago after making an appt. we spoke on and off the records. i really tried sparkling my house but couldnt. i **** had dishes in the sink, piles of laundry to put away, etc. but my floors were picked up. i hadnt even moped our floors yet. the stove top was partly cleaned.

but i watched what teh worker did. the first thing she worked with was my discipline style. then she sent me off and interviewed my dd. and then took less than a minute to look around the house. she said the house was fine for a 3 year old. a crawling baby probably needed more work. which i totally understand. once she figured my dd was ok, not abused, clean, no health hazards and the house was decent - she pretty much was happy with the results. of course i felt like i had gone thru a lot of mental agony for nothing. i was so disappointed seh didnt look inside my fridge or the closet.

she assured me even before she came on teh telelphone that they want to see a health safe house and not toys all over so the child cant walk thru the house without tripping. and even if she felt something needed to be cleaned they would 'remove' the child (which would be to have her stay with her dad) till the house was cleaned up. and seh was teh kind that if that situation happened and i just took a day to clean she would be over the v. next day to give the green signal and get my child back.

unfortunately u seem to have an aunt like my ex husband who are trying to control u according to what they think is right. today i doubt some of the horror stories i hear. esp. after talking to a worker and reading all the posts here. yes there are unfair situations but i doubt a child was taken away because the food in teh fridge wasnt labeled when it should be eaten by.

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#24 of 30 Old 09-22-2005, 01:09 PM

First to comment on cleanliness. My house has it's moments. Right now it is rather clean and picked up, but of course it will only stay that way if I pick up each room several times a day. I don't have moldy dishes or floors or anything like that.

Ok...about the cps thing. I realize it varies from state to state. When I worked as a case worker contracted through CPS/OFC/DFC or whatever acronym it is now, for 3 years never did I see a child yanked immediately b/c of dirty house only. When we got reports of a dirty house often one of us cw would go to the house and help the family clean and learn ways to manage the cleanliness of their house. I am talking about house with food and who knows what caked in the floors, dishes that were molding, fridges with roaches, etc. Quite often a house that is that mismanaged with cleanliness was a good indicator that there were other problems in the home.

So to make a short explanation long I also think your aunt is pulling your chain.
#25 of 30 Old 09-22-2005, 02:11 PM

We don't know the state or area where the OP lives. Some places do seem to have insane CPS workers. I am curious to know where she lives.

To the OP, I wouldn't let any nosey busy-body neighborhood old ladies into my home if I were you, and I'd be reluctant to let my aunt in my house also.

DO NOT let CPS in without a warrant. They cannot get a warrant based on an anonymous caller. If they get a warrant, it will be to look for very specific things. Even if CPS gets a warrant, it will greatly limit what they can do and look for in the house. Isn't that better than a free-for-all?
#26 of 30 Old 09-22-2005, 02:22 PM

Well, my mom is a CPS worker, and she's in my house all the time! She's never mentioned anything about how clean or dirty it is, and she has seen it dirty. After hearing about some of the houses she's been in, I really wouldn't worry about a super-clean house. Of course, CPS workers are different everywhere, so maybe some of them out there would freak out about a slightly messy house. My mom has been in lots of houses with large rats running around, feces on the floor, rotten food and dishes, etc. She would never remove a child for that. She gives them a chance to get it into reasonable condition, and explains to them the danger that those conditions can create.
#27 of 30 Old 09-22-2005, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetangelbrynlie
That seems to be what most bored old women do in my neighbor hood is call CPS on all the mothers who have messy houses. By messy Im meaning a childs room with toys threw all over the floor, sock drawer pulled out, covers laying off the bed in the floor, things like that. Also they call for dishes in the sink (not stanky rotting food, just dishes)
Who is letting all these bored old ladies in to do a cleanliness check? Maybe you need curtains, or caller id. I'm not being snarky, just wondering why you think all these people have the power to evaluate you.

Can't give up actin' tough, it's all that I'm made of. Can't scrape together quite enough to ride the bus to the outskirts of the fact that I need love. ~ Neko Case

#28 of 30 Old 09-22-2005, 06:52 PM

and concerned they could put that energy into helping all you busy moms cleaning the houses and helping out with some meals..... :LOL
#29 of 30 Old 09-22-2005, 07:02 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
maybe they should all unite as a cleaning service team and clean houses. and they can talk amongst each other how terrible the house was and what would we have done without them. if i had to deal with 'look what i did' lecture i would.

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#30 of 30 Old 09-22-2005, 07:10 PM

I agree that your aunt has her own agenda. The foster care system and CPS is so incredibly overloaded with actual neglect & abuse cases, they can not possibly have the resources to remove children from homes where the dishes haven't been done that day. I don't know why she'd scare you like this, but it doesn't seem very nice.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page