Mothering Forums

Mothering Forums (http://www.mothering.com/forum/)
-   Talk Amongst Ourselves (http://www.mothering.com/forum/16-talk-amongst-ourselves/)
-   -   shootings! (http://www.mothering.com/forum/16-talk-amongst-ourselves/363904-shootings.html)

snailmama 11-01-2005 12:05 AM

i live in a really bad area I guess!
The Lehigh Valley...
I grew up in Allentown '& recently relocated back...
there has been 24 homicides- shootings in Allentown alone this year...
3 shootings this week & one stabbing at Mc donalds!
I really don't feel safe here anymore!
Sure hope I don't look at someone wrong!
everywhere I look I see gang bandanas.............

the 24 homicides doesn't account for all the shootings where the people lived...

an 18 year old girl was recently shot in her car...

home invasions everywhere............
what is going on in the world?
are people going mad?

kate42 11-01-2005 12:14 AM

Wow, that's horrible!

Growing up, we lived somewhat close to Allentown...in Schuylkill County, not far from Pottsville. I don't ever remember hearing of crime being that bad in Lehigh Valley back then. I remember that Reading could be way scary, but not Allentown.

I'm sorry to hear that things are so bad there now. Be safe.

Whisper 11-01-2005 12:16 AM

I live in Milwaukee and there have been 101 homicides here this year -- so far. I live in a part of town that most of my relatives fear. It is actually a really great neighborhood. We have lived here twenty-two years. We just had our tenth annual nighttime trick-or-treating here. People go all out with decorating and treats.

It is a "diverse" neighborhood but very socially minded. Lots of teachers and social workers. Lots of gay and lesbian couples.

But our neighborhood is on "the edge" of where most of these shootings have taken place. Mostly by poor, black males who have vendettas for each other. Also, there have been gang shootings. Again, these have been "pay-backs."

It is horrifying and sad, but mostly I personally do not feel in danger.
Then I wonder: Am I seeing reality? Why is everyone else afraid and I'm fine? Because I've never been a victim?

Or is everyone else afraid because of the perception of crime that the nightly news gives?

The murders are real. The numbers are record high...but humans have always been violent. There have always been those who kill and rob.

I look at it this way: It's not legal to sell human beings anymore. At least, here it isn't.

That makes me things things are better than they used to be. Not worse.

[by "here" I mean the USA]

Is slavery legal anywhere!?

polka123 11-01-2005 01:01 AM

the big city crime is just seeping into the smaller areas - the trend always seems to follow this way.
it's everywhere

twindaze 11-01-2005 01:05 AM

I keep hearing the Billy Joel song, is that the same Allentown that you live in?

I'm sorry about the crime issue, that really stinks.

snailmama 11-01-2005 02:18 AM

yes, it is...
i'd like to make up my own new lyrics to that song...
doubt they'd be appropriate for mothering though...

my great grandmother said she was disgusted with Allentown...
I would have liked to see it when she was young...

tboroson 11-01-2005 03:02 AM

The crime rate is lower than Lancaster, land of many wholesome God-fearin' folk, or Reading in the center of super rural Berks county. And, lumping all of the Lehigh Valley in with it is unfair. Bethlehem and Easton have far lower crime levels. Bethlehem's crime level per capita is much better than the national average. All the years I lived in Allentown and Bethlehem, I never felt unsafe. I mean, I locked my doors and my car, which I never did in the suburban neighborhood where I grew up. But I didn't fear going into any neighborhood, even on my bicycle after dusk. I think it helps not to watch television. They hype up every crime and make people think that everybody passing by on the sidewalk is a potential criminal.

catholicapmom 11-01-2005 07:55 AM

How scary!! Stay safe, mama.