Can someone PLEASE explain professional cheerleaders? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 7Likes

#1 of 40 Old 11-12-2005, 04:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I don't mean from a male standpoint. I get why men like them. Can someone please explain why a woman would want to do this? I watched some kind of show last night on women vying for a position on the Dallas Cowboys cheerleaders. There were more than 1,000 people that tried out. One woman was like, "I really think the Lord has put it on my heart to be a Dallas Cowboys cheerleader." (Riiiiiiight. God doesn't want you to, say, save starving children, he wants you to wear hot pants and do pelvic thrusts in front of 25,000,000 people on Monday Night Football.) One woman was even a SAHM, who was leaving her child for the full time commitment of cheerleading.

What makes women want to do this? Clue me in.
applejuice likes this.
#2 of 40 Old 11-12-2005, 04:37 PM

I was a cheerleader in high-school. It was fun. End of story. If someone would pay me to do it now, I would do it, simply because I enjoy it! It's okay to be a belly dancer, or hula dancer, how is cheerleading any different?
#3 of 40 Old 11-12-2005, 04:40 PM

that thread title is totally snort-inducing.

re cheerleaders....last i knew the dallas cheerleaders also don't get paid (or are paid a very nominal sum, i think it was like $12). the money comes in from modeling contracts, calendars, that sort of thing.

i always get booed at the sports bar when i say my biggest complaint about the nfl is that women aspire to be cheerleaders rather than players or coaches. i really love football, i really hate the chauvanism.

Mooooom! to  guitar.gifDS (1/05) and whistling.gifDSS (11/05).  TTC fingersx.gifour "ours" after VR on 10/12.  

#4 of 40 Old 11-12-2005, 04:42 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I could never say for sure, but I suppose many women find it fulfilling.

It involves skill, training, teamwork, exercise, female companionship, competition, acting, travel, sometimes fame, etc.

I would never do it, but I could see why some people might. Everyone feels fulfilled by different things.
#5 of 40 Old 11-12-2005, 04:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by calicokatt
I was a cheerleader in high-school. It was fun. End of story. If someone would pay me to do it now, I would do it, simply because I enjoy it! It's okay to be a belly dancer, or hula dancer, how is cheerleading any different?
But this is not even close to high school cheerleading. This is women doing calendars and wearing next to no clothes while gyrating and being ogled by millions of men. For a career. Not as a hobby.
applejuice likes this.
#6 of 40 Old 11-12-2005, 04:44 PM

aww cali i was a cheerleader too ... but i WANTED to be on the football TEAM

i think cheerleading is different from hula or belly dancing because hula and belly dancing are culturally important in hawaii and turkey respectively. people can make the argument all day long that cheerleaders are culturally important, maybe they are ... but not in the same way. hula/belly dancing is a form of story telling in a folk tradition which goes back thousands of years. cheerleading is...well, shakin your ass going back 50 years.

: it was fun tho :

oooooh bad feminist! bad! bad!
swede likes this.

Mooooom! to  guitar.gifDS (1/05) and whistling.gifDSS (11/05).  TTC fingersx.gifour "ours" after VR on 10/12.  

#7 of 40 Old 11-12-2005, 04:45 PM

You might be shocked at just how close to high school chearleading it actually is. But it is VERY close to belly dancing and hula dancing. And the best career is a hobby that pays.
#8 of 40 Old 11-12-2005, 04:46 PM

Culturally important... They can be culturally important wearing a bit more clothing, can't they? So we can't compare them because they started in another country..... and the clothing is traditional, rather than just skimpy?
I'm not trying to be snarky, really, it's just that it's okay to be half dressed and shake your a** while wearing gauze or grass, but not nylon and spangles?
#9 of 40 Old 11-12-2005, 04:47 PM - Thread Starter

Actually, I'm a high school teacher. So I'm pretty familiar with high school cheerleading. This is not even sort of the same.

Hula dancing is also not done solely for the benefit of millions of men.

ETA: I do see what you're saying, that high school cheerleading has gotten very risque in the last two decades. But there is quite a bit of tumbling in competetive high school cheerleading, whereas there's none in professional cheerleading.
#10 of 40 Old 11-12-2005, 04:49 PM - Thread Starter

I guess the heart of my question is: WHY do women want to "shake their ass" for a living in front of millions of men? I do not understand. Do they not have the brains to do anything else? Why is it fulfilling to be ogled? I truly don't get it.
applejuice likes this.
#11 of 40 Old 11-12-2005, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reader
Actually, I'm a high school teacher. So I'm pretty familiar with high school cheerleading. This is not even sort of the same.

Hula dancing is also not done solely for the benefit of millions of men.
How many high schools have you taught at? 'Cause I've seen all sorts of shaking going on at the games I've attended. Yes, the costumes are more modest, but the premise is the same. And who cares whether the dance is done for the benefit of millions of men, or for millions of men and women. The men who lust over the cheerleaders are likely lusting over the hula dancers too, if they see them. We just don't broadcast it every sunday.
applejuice likes this.
#12 of 40 Old 11-12-2005, 04:51 PM - Thread Starter

I've taught at seven high schools and watched competetive high school cheering on TV.
applejuice likes this.
#13 of 40 Old 11-12-2005, 04:55 PM

Competetive high school cheerleading is not even close to what you are discussing here. Competetive high school cheerleading does not even remotely resemble actual high school chearleading (as in for football and basketball) and is not what I am discussing. I am referring to actual cheerleaders, cheering actual football teams while doing the pelvic thrust and shaking their booties to the applause of the crowd.
#14 of 40 Old 11-12-2005, 04:55 PM

Passed high school cheerleader. Also was going to audition for the 2000 season for the Vikings Cheerleaders.

I opened a dance academy instead. There was not enough time to do both. Also I can bring the kiddies to the dance academy

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#15 of 40 Old 11-12-2005, 04:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by calicokatt
Competetive high school cheerleading is not even close to what you are discussing here. Competetive high school cheerleading does not even remotely resemble actual high school chearleading (as in for football and basketball) and is not what I am discussing. I am referring to actual cheerleaders, cheering actual football teams while doing the pelvic thrust and shaking their booties to the applause of the crowd.
I understand what you're saying. I've been to about 87,000 high school football games. Not every school I've taught at has had competetive teams.

What I'm trying to get at is WHY WHY WHY do women find it fulfilling to be ogled by men for a living? With other professions where it's their job to be ogled (say exotic dancing), there's always this element of shame, something they aspire to leave someday, something you don't want your family to know about, etc. (I have a close family member who was an exotic dancer.)
#16 of 40 Old 11-12-2005, 04:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelBee
Passed high school cheerleader. Also was going to audition for the 2000 season for the Vikings Cheerleaders.

I opened a dance academy instead. There was not enough time to do both. Also I can bring the kiddies to the dance academy
Can you explain why?
#17 of 40 Old 11-12-2005, 05:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
I guess the heart of my question is: WHY do women want to "shake their ass" for a living in front of millions of men? I do not understand. Do they not have the brains to do anything else? Why is it fulfilling to be ogled? I truly don't get it.
Hey! I have brains and I would love to get paid tons of money to shake my booty at everyone!
#18 of 40 Old 11-12-2005, 05:12 PM
SKK

Quote:
I guess the heart of my question is: WHY do women want to "shake their ass" for a living in front of millions of men?
'cause ass shakin' is fun! Try it in the privacy of your own home sometime!

it's fun for it's own sake - ooglers be damned!
#19 of 40 Old 11-12-2005, 05:21 PM - Thread Starter

They don't get paid tons of money, FWIW. They are not paid for rehearsals and get paid $50 per home game -- the equivalent of about $500 per season.

Can someone explain how it's fun? In what sense is it not degrading to women? What you do at home is completely different.
Viola likes this.
#20 of 40 Old 11-12-2005, 05:28 PM

Pro Football's cheerleaders are more like a dance squad or Pom Line.
They make great buck off of calendars, appearances, etc.
Some get discovered & get contracts. Many do it for fun & have other jobs.
Most have a lot of dance behind them.

It isn't just "Susie down the block" that's makes these squads.
The try-outs are pretty brutal & someone with a few years of dance lessons is not gonna get on.

Most love performing & what wrong with that?
So what if it's in front of 60K + people?
I see no problem & I like to watch the routines & we all know booty shakin' sells - no matter what the forum
look at 1/2 the MTV vids

so if it's not for you (collectively) power to ya but why knock something that others might enjoy?

I like watching the girlies

Me & DH hug2.gif , adult DD lips.gif & 7 yo DS guitar.gif . 2 GSDs, 6 rescue kitties, 4 birds & a gerbil.
#21 of 40 Old 11-12-2005, 05:29 PM
~pi

Quote:
What I'm trying to get at is WHY WHY WHY do women find it fulfilling to be ogled by men for a living?
Because our society and culture puts a very high premium on women being beautiful and sexy, and that's mostly beautiful and sexy as defined by media portrayals. There is also a high premium on fame.

For those women, being chosen out of thousands is an instant validation of their existence. Kind of sad, yes. Difficult to understand, no.

Have you never been to a club and seen a woman (not an employee) up dancing on a speaker or something? Same thing. She is enjoying being watched and being the center of attention. That's my guess as to why women do it.

professor & maman de DS1 (6) & DS2 (1)

#22 of 40 Old 11-12-2005, 06:49 PM

I'm of the opinion that it's only degrading if the person doing it feels degraded. They certainly aren't being forced to do this, and are well aware of the dress code before they go into it.

Some people just like performing in front of crowds. I'm not one of those people, but there are women (and men too) who love showing off and have the talent to get away with it.

Yes, I think they have a great talent. All of them have years of dance training and I personally couldn't do what they do. I don't have the body, the energy, or the talent.
#23 of 40 Old 11-12-2005, 06:51 PM

I've watched the professional cheerleading comps on ESPN and I never knew cheering was so tough! Lots of acrobatics and gymnastics....
#24 of 40 Old 11-12-2005, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~pi
For those women, being chosen out of thousands is an instant validation of their existence. Kind of sad, yes. Difficult to understand, no.
Oh. My. That is such an ignorant generalization. I don't even know where to begin.
#25 of 40 Old 11-12-2005, 06:55 PM
SKK

Quote:
What you do at home is completely different.
I know... I was just kidding...

I guess my joke was too dumb
#26 of 40 Old 11-12-2005, 06:58 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
It's just FUN. Isn't that enough? Dance is fun, cheering is fun, doing that kind of thing with a group is fun. Often the girls who are doing professional cheering have tons of dance training and maybe a little modeling experience and not a lot else to do with it. And it's just FUN.
#27 of 40 Old 11-12-2005, 07:41 PM

Umm, people enjoy doing it? It's like anything else I imagine.

I'd rather watch cheerleaders than football lol.

"The true measure of a man is how he treats a man who can do him absolutely no good."
peace.gif  Embrace the learning that is happening within the things that are actually happening!    
#28 of 40 Old 11-12-2005, 08:27 PM

I wentto try out for our pro-basketball team's cheerleading squad but I went the wrong day. Oops. Good thing, I found out I was pregnant a couple of months later so that baby might not have been (because I might have been on the road or something instead of conceiving him!) I did cheerleading from age 3 until I graduated at age 17. I don'tthink I'd be a pro-sports team cheerleader though. The only reason I went to try out was really just to see if I could get in. Like..."Am I still cute?" I'mnot a big fan of pro-sports though.

There is another type of professional cheerleading, the type you see in competition like high school/college. They do pro as well. That's a whole different ballgame and I'd do that in a heartbeat. It takes committement andathleticism to do that. What those Cowboy girls do? NOtso much Aside from the keeping a "good weight" andlooking good, that is.

Namaste, Tara
mama to Doodle (7), Butterfly (2), and Rythm (due at home 1/06)
#29 of 40 Old 11-12-2005, 09:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chersolly
I've watched the professional cheerleading comps on ESPN and I never knew cheering was so tough! Lots of acrobatics and gymnastics....
I agree... that is much more athletic, lot of gymnastics, lifts, etc. I'm talking NFL cheerleaders who pretty much wear next to nothing and do pelvic thrusts.
#30 of 40 Old 11-12-2005, 09:03 PM - Thread Starter

Sigh. I guess I'm just not meant to understand.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page