What kind of gift wrapper are you? - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: How do you wrap holiday presents?
They're lucky if I bother wrapping them at all! 2 28.57%
I gift cash or gift cards - No wrapping needed! 1 14.29%
I have the store/mall/someone else wrap my presents for me. 0 0%
As long as it's covered, it's fine. I don't bother with bows and tags. 23 100.00%
I try to wrap neatly, and add a basic store bought bow and tag. 87 100.00%
I spend a lot of time with fancy paper, homemade bows and tags. 26 100.00%
I usually use a gift bag and a wad of colored tissue. 18 100.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 42 Old 12-10-2005, 12:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm thinking specifically of Christmas / Hannukah / other Winter Holiday presents...

What do you do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 42 Old 12-10-2005, 12:25 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I recycle christmas gift bags every year. All the same bags seem to make the rounds among our immediate and extended family, lol.
#3 of 42 Old 12-10-2005, 12:25 AM

I spend time with nice paper, and use wired ribbon to tie around each gift and make a bow, and make homemade cards...

If it is a really odd sized/hard to wrap gift, I'll use a gift bag and tissue paper.

I love wrapping presents!

Mama to DD 8 * DS 6 * DS 2
Expecting #4 Late Nov 2011
#4 of 42 Old 12-10-2005, 12:27 AM

My answer truly depends on who the gift is for. If it's for ds, I just try to wrap it neatly.
If it's for a friend, I tend to get all fancy. People used to love getting my gifts just to see how I'd wrap it. I used to get creative. Now I just don't have time to get creative. LOL.

Omg, TIME....I forgot to address the rest of the holiday cards!!!!!
Doh!
#5 of 42 Old 12-10-2005, 12:44 AM

I wrap neatly but not expensively.

My mom uses newsprint. If she likes you, you get the comics section.
#6 of 42 Old 12-10-2005, 01:15 AM

I've always wrapped neatly, with homemade bows and curly ribbon, but I've stopped with the homemade stuff, and buy the nice big bows. I bought them this year at Sams, and they look really cool. I've always wanted to buy them there, and this year I did. When I bought them before at Walmart or Target, they had to be the really nice ones too. They couldn't be the funky looking ones, and no smashed ones. And I use the sticky tags. But the wrap gifts have to be neatly, or it gets rewrapped. Lindsey has already unwrapped 1 gift, and while I could have easily taped it back up, I have it in my room to be rewrapped tomorrow.

One year I did all gift bags. I thought it would be cool. I think I was preggo with Lindsey, and I only had 6 weeks left, and I just didn't feel like wrapping. So I used bags. While it was easy, I just didn't feel it was personal enough. Silly, huh? I still have the bags, and I use them for the Christmas Eve gift that I gave my kids, which are always PJ's. I was going to make them, but this year I think I am buying them at Old Navy.
#7 of 42 Old 12-10-2005, 01:17 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by boingo82
#8 of 42 Old 12-10-2005, 01:21 AM

I voted "if it's covered, it's fine" because my dd, who is almost four, helps me wrap all the gifts. I think it's more important for her to help and feel good about it than for the package to look perfect.

If I were doing it on my own I'd have voted "wrap neatly" but I don't usually use storebought cards and bows. Ribbons, yes.
#9 of 42 Old 12-10-2005, 01:21 AM

i'm a very good wrapper, but i'll confess to not using homemade stuff. however, i was a PROFESSIONAL wrapper (not to be confused with RAPPER, haha) when i was younger, so i am GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOODDDDDDD!
#10 of 42 Old 12-10-2005, 01:45 AM

I spend a lot of time wrapping gifts. I really like they way they look all pretty and stuff. I do not typically spend a lot of money on the paper but I make my own bows with nice "ribbon" (I too use the wire kind so I can shape it once the bow is made) and put cinnamon sticks or pine cones or some kind of little "garnish" on them.
#11 of 42 Old 12-10-2005, 01:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boingo82
I wrap neatly but not expensively.

We usually use cheap, but cute wrapping paper, and I spend time on it, if it is for kids I wrap with extra paper so it is more paper to tear off...

Wife, Mama , Daughter, Best Friend, Manicurist.
#12 of 42 Old 12-10-2005, 01:49 AM

None of them fit us. We use old newspapers, especially comics, or magazines or any other paper we can recycle. If it is for kids, I slap on a bow, but I write the name directly on the paper, often with a quick message. If the paper is too busy to read writing I just grab another piece of paper and tape or tie it to the package.

I take the time to wrap it neatly and artistically though, it is just with unconventional papers.

Mom to 10yo Autistic Wonder Boy and 6yo Inquisitive Fireball Girl . December birthdays.

#13 of 42 Old 12-10-2005, 02:04 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by witchbaby
i'm a very good wrapper, but i'll confess to not using homemade stuff. however, i was a PROFESSIONAL wrapper (not to be confused with RAPPER, haha) when i was younger, so i am GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOODDDDDDD!

You're a "gansta wrappa"?
#14 of 42 Old 12-10-2005, 02:11 AM

i try to live simply ...h a ha ha
so my main thing is to recycle gift bags ....it is so easy
gift wrap is a bit harder ...so not worth it
we sometimes cut up paper grocery bags to decorate our packages

i also only buy holiday stuff the day after the holdiay (so it is always a year old ) ha ha does not ever seem to matter

x post with live frugally
#15 of 42 Old 12-10-2005, 02:13 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I suck. One year, I actually used hot glue because I ran out of tape. I've also been knows to have the kids color the bag if the store gave me a brown one.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#16 of 42 Old 12-10-2005, 02:33 AM

I'm no Martha Stewart, but it's usually presentable.
#17 of 42 Old 12-10-2005, 05:26 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I try to wrap neatly, but I don't get all worked up over it. We slap on a bow and a tag (or we just write on the package if the color of paper is light enough) and call it good. Gift bags are terrific because they have the added adavantage of being reusable.

"The true measure of a man is how he treats a man who can do him absolutely no good."
peace.gif  Embrace the learning that is happening within the things that are actually happening!    
#18 of 42 Old 12-10-2005, 06:02 AM

I am a horrid wrapper. I am a menace with tape and inept with bows.

<--see senior title

I will shop and look and mule over a gift for hours but they really are lucky if I wrap it at all. I spend a lot of thought and care into everything I buy.

I usually show up with gifts in the bags and then my family makes me wrap them. *L

even then...they can always tell what dh wrapped (who israther neat) and what I wrapped (sloppy)

Not all those who wander are lost 
#19 of 42 Old 12-10-2005, 09:27 AM

I'm a fancy wrapper by nature. Last year I started using fabric gift bags (thanks MDC Mamas!) though and this year our collection is complete. So now all the gifts come in fabric bags that will be tied with fabric ribbon. Our whole wrapping stash, fully reusable next year. DH said he has a secret roll of wrapping paper around to wrap a few gifts with. Apparently he thinks I'm taking all the joy out of opening gifts for the kids with no paper to tear!
#20 of 42 Old 12-10-2005, 12:53 PM

My vote varies with the gift. I don't use gift bags and paper for every single gift so I didn't vote for that. I use homemade paper sometimes for gifts for kids. My daughter likes to help with that if it's a gift for her friend. Sometimes, I use fancy paper if I have it. I like ribbons and bows and gift tags. I like wrapping gifts. I like *giving* gifts and wrapping just makes it more fun for me
#21 of 42 Old 12-10-2005, 01:03 PM

I don't usually use wrapping paper, because it always ends up in the trash. Such a waste. Our family passes around gift bags, mainly. My step-mother started giving out her gifts in simple cloth bags she had made, so that's an idea I'd like to use this year. For any sewing family members, I usually wrap the gift in fabric, so they can add it to their stash.

Oh, but when I DO wrap in paper, it's definitely Martha-worthy.
#22 of 42 Old 12-10-2005, 01:05 PM

I wrap with usually botanical paper, like holly or something, then i cut peices of the paper to use as goft tags, why waste $$$ plus , their just going to get ripped to peices anyway

Whatever will be, already is...

#23 of 42 Old 12-10-2005, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamilla626
You're a "gansta wrappa"?
awww, yeah! i keep it real, yo.
#24 of 42 Old 12-10-2005, 02:06 PM

I try for creativity. Like, we're going to a holiday party with a gift exchange and one person's getting a gift card taped inside a box. So the box'll feel completely empty and won't make a sound if it's shaken.

I still haven't come up with something good to do with the two plunger measuring cups and DVD we're giving the other person. I'm considering making them into a castle.

I also like to do things like making slits in the wrapping paper and weaving ribbon through, or folding origami cranes out of different paper.

Ironically, I want people to open gifts as soon as possible, I like to spend all this time and thought doing the wrapping and I want them to go "how neat!" and then tear the paper off.

(It's too bad we often get things at the last minute and end up not having time to do a really fun job.)

ETA: my entire paper collection comes from shopping at %90 off clearance sales, ditto on the ribbon.
#25 of 42 Old 12-10-2005, 03:36 PM

This is hard to answer... it depends...

If I am doing one of the angel tree gifts (for needy kids) I like what my students do... (you aren't allowed to wrap them beforehand) they put them in gift bags (I guess so the parents can inspect them???)

gifts that are mailed I wrap, but no tags (write on the package) and no bows as they just get smashed anyway.

For special friends I used to use wire ribbon and garnish, but I just don't have the time anymore, so now I use store bought ones.

I also reuse gift bags for odd shaped gifts.

I am planning on making some gifts this year, so will be using reusable gift jars.

A friend makes all her own wrapping paper with her stamp collection.. I think that is too much work, though.
#26 of 42 Old 12-10-2005, 03:52 PM

Ours really varies. I never "Martha" wrap gifts. We have some gift bags that we reuse as long as they look decent (more birthday and baby shower type than holiday though so not so much at Xmas). Grammy sewed some fabric bags for the kids' presents last year so we do have those to reuse and I love them. One year at Costco, I bought one of those nesting boxes that have cute holiday prints on them. I keep forgetting to use them though! This year I am going to remember!

I try to always buy wrap and ribbon on the after holiday sales. But I have such a stock now that I have to keep myself from buying more. I'll die at 90 and my kids will have to divy up the Xmas paper.... I don't even LIKE some of the paper I still have around - I bought it so long ago...

For holiday gifts, I use storemade tags (the kind that have adhesive on the back already) but for birthday gifts, we cut out a piece of the paper to use as a tag. I use bows sometimes but they just seem to get smashed; we must have too many gifts under the tree!
#27 of 42 Old 12-10-2005, 04:12 PM

I can't vote exactly because I either wrap it in the store myself, rather carefully OR I wrap it in plain white paper paper at home and put pretty ribbon on it.

I'm neither fussy about it, nor sloppy. I'm in between.
#28 of 42 Old 12-10-2005, 04:25 PM

I wrap carefully with paper that is festive but can be used any time of the year.
#29 of 42 Old 12-10-2005, 05:04 PM

Actually it really depends on how long I procrastinate. Some presents get wrapped neatly, but alot go in bags. My dd is only 5 and isn't big on Christmas so we don't wrap a whole lot for her.
#30 of 42 Old 12-10-2005, 05:17 PM

I use either recycled brown paper or some tissue paper (earthy colours) and tie them with jute. I add a hommade wire bow on some with pinecones and small bits of cedar boughs. I do the same in the summer but add a tiny bouquet of wild flowers.

:

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page