Do you use CostCo organics, etc? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 19 Old 12-17-2005, 03:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm really surprised and pleased CostCo is carrying so many organic products lately. I do wonder if their brand organic milk is similar in quality to the brand that costs twice as much. I hope so!

So, now we're getting
milk
butter
salad
Dubliner cheese (100% natural)
Mediterannean sea salt in the grinder

But, what's the deal w/the Omega 3 eggs? Doesn't say cage free or hormone/antibiotic free. Just that they have a veg diet.

And, I see they have presliced organic apples but I can't bring myself to spend $9 for 6 bags/apples.

Quiet morning...just wondering....
#2 of 19 Old 12-17-2005, 04:05 PM

I've noticed Costco is getting more and more organics too. I'm happy!!

I didn't notice butter or salad though, I'll have to look next time I go.

Does your Costco have organic frozen veggies too. I just noticed those last time I went. Now we have frozen veggies coming out of our ears. But I've been making tons of soups lately, so I think we'll go through them pretty quick.

Heather, mama to          
#3 of 19 Old 12-17-2005, 04:32 PM

Each Costco carries differant stuff.

Ours has some organic items. I buy the foofoo organic salad mix. They have some spices I noticed havent bought any as I didnt have need for them.
#4 of 19 Old 12-17-2005, 04:36 PM

We eat a lot of salad so I always buy the huge things of Earthbound Farms mixed greens. We also buy the flats of Stonyfield Farms assorted lowfat yogurts for the kids and us.

I'll have to check out their other organic stuff... it never occured to me they'd have their own brands, etc.

We mostly go there to buy paper goods, laundry stuff, and sposies. : They have their own brand of unscented diaper wipes (Kirkland) which rock.
#5 of 19 Old 12-17-2005, 04:37 PM

we love the organic apple slices! My dd goes to a co-operative preschool where I work in the classroom twice a month. We are responsible for bringing snack on thsoe day so I always bring the organic apple slices, cheese, and granola. We arent allowed to actually slice apples so its great to find good ones available

I wish the organic milk was fat free tho We also buy the organic blueberries, organic peanut butter, and a few other things!
#6 of 19 Old 12-17-2005, 04:39 PM

:
#7 of 19 Old 12-17-2005, 09:13 PM - Thread Starter

Very cool--I'll have to check out a few more items!

I guess it's supply and demand for them.

Yeah, I do think the apple slices totally make sense for class/team snacks!

And, I wish they carried the big tubs of organic yogurt instead of the little ones. ha, just wait till kindergarten next year and I'll buy the little ones in bulk.
#8 of 19 Old 12-17-2005, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama2kyla
I wish the organic milk was fat free tho We also buy the organic blueberries, organic peanut butter, and a few other things!
:

#9 of 19 Old 12-18-2005, 12:26 AM

I find that the Costco organic milk taste the same as any other organic milk (unless you get Strauss in the glass container or raw milk). Safeway has a bunch of organic stuff now too .

Sarah knit.gif married to Micah, mama to dd1 (9), dd2 (7) and ds (2). We love to homeschool.gif h20homebirth.gif goorganic.jpgchicken3.gif
#10 of 19 Old 12-18-2005, 02:00 AM

I think my family was the only one buying the organic stuff at the local CostCo. They stopped carrying most of their organic products because they were just sitting on the shelves.
I have to travel to another CostCo (further away) to buy many of the organic products. But, even that one doesn't seem to be carrying organic milk now.

You can find me on Facebook. PM for info.
#11 of 19 Old 12-18-2005, 02:04 AM

I've gotten the apple slices before and some organic cookies. We get the Omega-3 eggs too (when I don't get them from my MDC Mama friend with chickens!).

I wish Costco would go 100% organic food, wouldn't that be a dream?!

~Rose~ 

Homeschooling Mom to Two Boys, 13 & 9. rainbow1284.gif Baby Girl Arriving April 2013!

#12 of 19 Old 12-18-2005, 02:15 AM

WOW! I did not know that they carried organics. I don't have one near me but they are building one soon and I can't wait! Are the prices good? I just paid $5.40 for a gallon of organic milk today. Makes me want to stop drinking milk! UGGGG!
#13 of 19 Old 12-18-2005, 02:30 AM

Our Costco is carrying more also. It's nice to be able to get the organic fruits there, as we do save alot. I live in an area that has such a high cost of living, that Colin's gallon of lactose free organic milk costs me, hold onto your seats....$7.10/each !!!!!!!!!!!

Unfortunately, they do not carry his milk :-(. At least I get to support a small hfs to get some of my harder to find items.

Head covering Pagan-Quaker mama to 6yo DS, and DH. Recent WAHM www.napleshealthadvisers.com
#14 of 19 Old 12-18-2005, 03:38 AM

Yes- almost anything that Costco sells that is organic we buy - the forzen veggies, frozen berries, the milk, the apples, the salad - oh and my FAVE FAVE FAVE The Marantha Peanut Butter - it is soooooo good and WAY cheaper than at any other store. It only has peanuts and sea salt and it is as smooth and creamy as Jiffy.
#15 of 19 Old 12-18-2005, 03:52 AM

I got a box of organic new york strip steaks from there today. I don't think my previous Costco had many organics - this was news to me!

I saw all the Cascadian Farms frozen blueberries and veggies but I already have stocked up those from the local HFS...

-Kelly
#16 of 19 Old 12-18-2005, 04:29 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
YES YES YES! ITA! Even my jiffy luvin dh likes the Marantha Peanut Butter. WE make lots of smoothies with the frozen berries too
I try to buy all the organics they carry at my costco so they will continue to carry them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukeswalker
Yes- almost anything that Costco sells that is organic we buy - the forzen veggies, frozen berries, the milk, the apples, the salad - oh and my FAVE FAVE FAVE The Marantha Peanut Butter - it is soooooo good and WAY cheaper than at any other store. It only has peanuts and sea salt and it is as smooth and creamy as Jiffy.
#17 of 19 Old 12-18-2005, 04:41 AM

the peanut butter is dreamy! I was really frustrated with my other natural peanut butter because it was so cold in the fridge it was very difficult to spread on bread. The costco peanut butter never gets that way, somehow stays magically creamy, LOL.
#18 of 19 Old 12-18-2005, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukeswalker
oh and my FAVE FAVE FAVE The Marantha Peanut Butter - it is soooooo good and WAY cheaper than at any other store. It only has peanuts and sea salt and it is as smooth and creamy as Jiffy.
I am crazy about this peanut butter too. ITA that it is creamy and smooth - and yummy. I always buy it at Whole Foods but now I'll look for it at Costco too!
#19 of 19 Old 12-18-2005, 11:32 AM

Wow.
now we are going to costco today.

I hope ours carries some the goodies you all have found.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page