Wow, and we think we have it hard - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 21 Old 01-02-2006, 04:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well maybe some of us do. But check out this photo I found on-line where the moms brought their babies to work with them at a canning factory. Can you imagine? What a rich life our little ones have compared to those little ones.

photo

Look at this little girl.

You can see all the photos at
http://www.historyplace.com/unitedstates/childlabor/

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

#2 of 21 Old 01-02-2006, 04:12 AM

wow, what an amazing site. Thanks for sharing, one of those things you don't want to forget.
#3 of 21 Old 01-02-2006, 04:32 AM

That's heartbreaking! I kept trying to imagine my own children working at such a young age and in such horrible conditions I could be mistaken but, in one picture it looks like a little boy has a cigar in his mouth. This is a powerful website. And to think, there are still little children working like this throughout the world.

DS 12 DS 9 DD 6
#4 of 21 Old 01-02-2006, 04:34 AM

I think that girl is an employee! The other horrible thing is that every child employed meant that an adult was out of work.
#5 of 21 Old 01-02-2006, 05:11 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
So sad. Wow.

"The true measure of a man is how he treats a man who can do him absolutely no good."
peace.gif  Embrace the learning that is happening within the things that are actually happening!    
#6 of 21 Old 01-02-2006, 05:14 AM

A found a picture of pinsetters.
http://www.historyplace.com/unitedst...or/bowling.jpg

That was one my father's first jobs in the 1920s. It was interesting to see a picture of what he had described.

Homebirth Midwife biggrinbounce.gif

After 4 m/c, our stillheart.gif is here!

#7 of 21 Old 01-02-2006, 05:15 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Wow, that's really depressing. Thanks for the link. This is depressing too.
#8 of 21 Old 01-02-2006, 07:38 AM
Banned

Thanks for the reality check. Very sad.
#9 of 21 Old 01-02-2006, 08:24 AM

Sad & depressing to see kids spend their childhood like that
#10 of 21 Old 01-02-2006, 10:26 AM
Banned

Depressing to say this, but down in the remote fishing village I used to live, during herring and lobster season kids were and still are brought into the sheds to help out.

They string herring and bait pockets getting paid 10 cents/piece.

It's only for the summer, and when the November lobster season hits, highschool boys *voluntarily because they want the christmas money* go on the boats to help during the first week.

The girls stay in the sheds and bait the pockets, and little kids go in and help after school.

So as depressing as it is, there is still child labour going on in North America. Rural fishing villages, Rural farms...if a kid's old enough to stand, the kid's old enough to earn his/her keep......
#11 of 21 Old 01-02-2006, 10:37 AM

Their little faces are so hard.
#12 of 21 Old 01-02-2006, 10:49 AM

My dad and his 4 brothers/sisters were berry pickers from very early childhood. Their father had died when my dad was two. (about 1938) He tells stories of the whole family having to live on a few potatos, some berries, and a rabbit a day. He has a genius level IQ (later discovered by the navy) but was only allowed a 6th grade education because the family needed the money so he had to go to work. He joined the navy at age 16.
#13 of 21 Old 01-02-2006, 11:17 AM

It's sad to think that these children lost their childhood working in factories. So sad, thanks for the reminder of what life was like. What is worse, is that is how life still is in some parts of the world...
#14 of 21 Old 01-02-2006, 12:51 PM

One of the worst things about the child mill-workers if not visible--the fine lint and dust in the air usually caused lung disease.

Farm work, despite the whole fresh air, slightly more variety factor is incredibly dangerous. My mentor from undergrad was permanently disabled as a child when Dow Chemical generously provided various chemicals to use on the farm. Yep, he spent a couple summers breathing various versions of Agent Orange. Just a kid on a farm in Michigan.

He had a slight cold over the holidays. A slight cold for him means gasping for breathe and a low, raspy, weak voice and a serious danger of pneumonia and death.

Dow Chemical is way higher on my list of evil companies than even Wal-Mart or Philip Morris.
#15 of 21 Old 01-02-2006, 12:57 PM

thank you for the excellent link usamma...i think stuff like this reminds us that we (general) tend to romanticize the past...
#16 of 21 Old 01-02-2006, 01:17 PM

i think those pictures were taken all befor child labor laws were enacted.
#17 of 21 Old 01-02-2006, 04:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jannan
i think those pictures were taken all befor child labor laws were enacted.
actually, most of them were taken after child labor laws. The photographer was trying to show that the laws were not being enforced. In the 1930's they passed stronger laws, in part due to these powerful photos. Related to the stronger child labor laws, governments poured more support and funding into mandatory public schools to keep the children safe during the day, and off the streets and out of the factories and mines.

I have been to India 3 times and have seen child labor there, even though it's against the law. A boy of about 8 pumped gas for us. I saw a young girl balancing bricks on her head at a construction site. It happens. There was a great, extensive article on it in National Geographic a year or two ago. Because of those laws I will never again buy India silk that comes from the most famous place in S. India where most silk is made. They basically enslave children by keeping their parents indebted to them.

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

#18 of 21 Old 01-02-2006, 05:01 PM

Those types of pictures make me thankful for the blessings our children have. But, they can help us understand generations before us. It's a lot easier to understand why my Grandma can seem too harsh or too stubborn. If you still have a Grandma or GreatGrandma (Or Pa!) show them these pictures and ask them if they had to work. You might just get a new look at who they are.

Dready Homeschooling Mom 

17 yob

14 yob

10 yob

4 yog

2 yob

#19 of 21 Old 01-02-2006, 05:42 PM

If anyone would like to learn about Lewis Hine and his fight against child labor, you should read Kids at Work with your upper elementary/middle school kids. I read it with my 4th grade class last year, although it's probably middle school level. He is the photographer who used a lot of crafty methods to get inside the factories and expose the wretched conditions of child labor.
#20 of 21 Old 01-03-2006, 01:10 AM

the face on those kids...especially the coal miners, how sad

makes me appreciate everything i have today
#21 of 21 Old 01-03-2006, 01:41 AM

that is so very sad ..

thanks for the excellant link.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page