Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 01-28-2006, 12:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
yesterday our fridge stopped working

last night our heat stopped working

I think our house hates us

(our furnace is running, but the fan isn't working, so when I checked the daily usage on our thermostat last night...it said it had been on for 17 hours yesterday I think I am going to cry. It is usually only on for 3-4 hours per day and our gas bill last month was over $300 We are going to have to leave it off for a week to make up the difference )

our landlord is leaving for India for 3 months tomorrow and I hate to have to spring all of this on her today when she is busy getting ready for her trip...but we already lost everything in our fridge that wasn't still cool enough to transfer to the chest freezer downstairs and we are having a hard enough time affording food lately as it is

and it's 52 degrees in our house

Ethan keeps saying "I cold...brrrrrrrrrrrrrrr"

my FIL is going to bring over a space heater later today...but I am not sure how well that will work in here with this big open floor plan (and frankly, I'll be afraid to leave it on overnight since I hear so much about space heaters causing house fires and we don't have renters insurance)

I guess I'll do laundry tonight since the dryer helps keep the top floor of the house warm

and we thought we would be so much better off when we moved from our old house to this one
the house was built in 2003 and the dang thing is in self-destruct mode!
#2 of 3 Old 01-28-2006, 02:11 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Wow, that is rough! I really would talk to your landlord. Your lost food and extra money spent on the furnace should be their responsibility, because it wasn't kept up. I sure hope that they have someone taking over responsibility while they're gone? Maybe you could make a deal to reduce your rent to make up for the extra bills?

#3 of 3 Old 01-28-2006, 09:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
uh-oh

it is now after 7pm and we haven't been able to get a hold of her. My dh has left a few messages, but hasn't heard back.

if we don't hear from her and she leaves for her trip without getting back to us do we have the right to call a repairman ourselves and take it out of the rent? I know she'd be mad because the house is under a warranty and she is supposed to go through them for major repairs, but we can't exactly live without heat.

she was also going to come by today and pick up the rent check for February and give us contact info for someone to give the rent to and contact if there are any problems for the next few months. I can't figure out what is up with her

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page