Need to fill Rx, looking for pharmacy that hasn't refused to fill scripts - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 02-08-2006, 08:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am going to be filling a script and want to use a pharmacy that hasn't refused to dispense bc or morning after Rx's. I find it really irritating when pharmacists try to impose their morality on women's health issues and want to avoid supporting those pharmacists.

In this area some of the pharmacists I have available: Dillons (Kroger), Walgreens, Wal-mart (rather not, for other reasons), & Osco are the local chains that I know of off the top of my head.

I remember hearing that some pharmacies did this, but wasn't paying attention to who. Anybody know?

Mom to 10yo Autistic Wonder Boy and 6yo Inquisitive Fireball Girl . December birthdays.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 02-08-2006, 08:10 PM

I *think* Kroger is one of the good ones, but you may want to check with others first because I am not positive. Walmart and Target are definitely bad, not sure about Osco or Walgreens.
#3 of 7 Old 02-08-2006, 08:21 PM - Thread Starter

Some googleling revealed that Walgreens is bad too. (just in case anybody else is following this thread).

off to see about Kroger and Osco. I hope kroger is ok...I like them on some other counts, and they are the best chain around here for organic and earth friendly products. (outside of indy stores)

eta...everything I can find on Kroger sounds good.

Thank you for bringing up Target...I would have eventually thought of that and might have gone there. I don't have many opportunities to 'let my money vote', (because I am too poor and don't consume much) so I try to make the most of it when I can.

Mom to 10yo Autistic Wonder Boy and 6yo Inquisitive Fireball Girl . December birthdays.

#4 of 7 Old 02-08-2006, 08:30 PM - Thread Starter

on a sort of funny/odd note: I would hate to be on the other side of this particular issue and trying to decide whether or not to go to Wal-mart. Do you support Wal-mart because they don't dispense the medicine, or do you boycott them because of all the other issues.

#5 of 7 Old 02-08-2006, 09:07 PM

Good for you! I fill mine at the university where I work/go to school and they do have plan b, so I feel okay about that.

Here's a link to the Planned Parenthood website. They ranked major pharmacies and it looks like Eckerd, CVS, KMart, and Costco came out on top. There are some more, so check out the website.

http://www.saveroe.com/fillmypillsnow/

By the way, this boycott has actually saved me a ton of money- I don't think I had any idea how much I spent at Target until I quit going there.
#6 of 7 Old 02-08-2006, 09:09 PM

I applaud you and your search. Seriously--good for you!

Kelly

PS:

Personally, I support my local walgreens. they were the ONLY ones who offered to order Plan B for me because they didn't have it in stock. All the others (ekerds, cvs, etc) just said "We don't stock that. ::click:: I never took them up on it, because I would have been a little late in my safety window, but still....But I haven't personally researched their corporate policy.

What about a mom and pop non-chain drug store? Just call and ask--usually they only have 1 or 2 pharmacists anyway. You'd not only be supporting the cause, but also your local town/families. Double bonus--score!

I'd also write letters to the chains you reject and tell them why. CVS and Ekerds both lost literally THOUSANDS in business from me over the course of one year. (I was on very expensive pills for a medical condition I had), and you bet I let them know!

Kelly, mama (12yoDS), doula, RN, and writer.
There's no where you can be that isn't where you were meant to be, its easy
#7 of 7 Old 02-08-2006, 09:12 PM

Oh, and in response to your question about Walmart, we don't go there for about a thousand reasons- labor practices, sexism, environmental degredation, bullying of businesses who want/need to do business with them, the contribution to the downfall of "mainstreet", and just the fact that it is unpleasant and always full of unhappy people buying a whole lot of stuff they don't need.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page