? for those who live in an army base housing - Mothering Forums

#1 of 20 Old 02-10-2006, 03:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This might seem like an odd question, but I'm looking for some information for a friend.

Would a non-military, non-family member be able to stay with friends on a military base housing (friend whose husband is in said military), for an extended period of time (6 months+)? Would that be 'allowed'?

I've gotten information that says 'no', but nothing definate, and was wondering if someone could help me with this..

I do have further information if needed (the exact military base, as well as exact name and address etc).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 20 Old 02-10-2006, 05:04 PM

It depends on the circumstances. Go to the housing dept and see what they say, some people do it, some friends of ours are doing that right now, her husband is deployed so she had her sister get the frequent visitor pass and she lives with her in the house, nobody really checks things like that at either base we have lived on, but if they get caught I think they would get in trouble. I know at the housing office they used to have a form to fill out for visitors lasting longer than 30 days.

Hope this helps!

Doula mama to my 3 bugs
#3 of 20 Old 02-10-2006, 05:11 PM - Thread Starter

That actually does help.

My friends' friend insisits she does not need to fill out any form or inform anyone of our mutual friend staying with them. She simply said 'come on up and live with us', and that was that. I did not think it was as simple as that, and am worried that my friend could get kicked out if 'found out' without going through the proper procedures.

I'll have to look into things for my friend, as her friend (the one she's staying with) and I have never gotten along, and it's always been no matter WHAT I say, the friend SWEARS I'm insane and am automatically wrong, which she tries to convince my friend of... *sighs* High school, huh??

Anyway, I care for my friend and just want her to be safe etc...

#4 of 20 Old 02-10-2006, 05:16 PM

My DH is former Marine Corps so their rules might be different than the Army base housing office.

For us, we could only have a guest for 72 hours without registering them with the base housing office. Anything longer, we had to get forms filled out. And the limit was 3 weeks, I believe.

Now, if your friend is taking in a minor family member, there are special circumstances and I think you can do that (like if their 10 yo neice was coming to live with them or something). I'm not sure what all you have to go through with all.

If the friend's husband is deployed, there are more lax rules usually too. I know you can leave a house empty longer during a deployment, in case you want to go back to your hometown while the member is deployed. That sort of thing. I do believe they are more forgiving of long-term guests in that kind of situation.

All that being said, it's hard to get caught if you do it anyway. Lots of people have friends/family members come stay with them in base housing and no one really cares. It's hard to prove, and they rarely do inspections unless there's a serious complaint. The friend would be unable to buy anything at the commissary or PX, and couldn't use any of the services on base without an ID. Oh and he/she couldn't go on and off base without the member/dependent. And at DH's base, you couldn't bring anyone wihtout an ID on after 10 pm or midnight on weekends.

HTH The best way to go is just to call the housing office of the base and ask them all the specifics if you want to go the "legal" route.
#5 of 20 Old 02-10-2006, 05:21 PM - Thread Starter

My friend is not a minor, and her friends' husband is not deployed.

The plan is to stay at least 6 months, possibly longer.

They haven't done any registrering or notifying anyone or anything...

My friend is also IDless at the moment (purse was stolen a couple weeks back,. and has yet to replace anything), so yeah...lol

Things just sound like they aren't gonna go good for her in this situation unless they do they right thing, which I doubt they will

Ugh.
#6 of 20 Old 02-10-2006, 05:23 PM

We crossposted, MomBirthmomStepmom.

In your friend's case, yes, she can get kicked out and the member/dependent can get kicked out too. It depends on their history with base housing (lots of complaints, not mowing grass, etc). But they would definitely make the extra person leave if they are not a dependent of the member.
#7 of 20 Old 02-10-2006, 05:27 PM - Thread Starter

I should clarify, my friend is the one going to stay in the base housing. Her friend's husband is in the army.

To top it all off, my friend is pregnant, and planning to give birth to her baby while up there, and live there. I'm truly afraid of her getting kicked out either pregnant, or with a newborn etc...

This is simply a friend telling another adult friend 'oh come live in my house for a while'... This isn't about minors, this isn't an emergency situation, nothing like that... Just a friend offering another friend to come live with her.
#8 of 20 Old 02-10-2006, 05:34 PM

Yeah, I figured it all out after I posted my first reply, lol. I was crossposting with your first reply to letabug.

When I say member and dependent, that would be the guy in the army and his wife, respectively. So they could get in trouble too, in addition to your friend getting kicked out of their house for living there illegally.

And if she's planning to give birth there, has she made arrangements for an off-base hospital (if she's doing a hospital birth)? Because she won't be able to use the military hospital without a military ID and Tricare. Just something else she needs to plan for if she's going to do this.
#9 of 20 Old 02-10-2006, 05:39 PM - Thread Starter

Well, her friend (the wife) has convinced here 'there's no reason you can't use my dr/hospital' (military/on-base)..

*sighs*

I kinda chuckeld and told my friend I'd make some phone calls before she moved there to get accurate information. I made some calls, gave her numbers etc, but she didn't wanna hear any of it. Just blindly believed everything her friend (the wife) said..

I'm truly afraid of my friend getting in trouble of her friends either lying, or plain out not caring about learning what IS and ISN'T possible...
#10 of 20 Old 02-10-2006, 05:40 PM - Thread Starter

Should probably add, my friend is already there. Arrived at her friends on Wednesday, so I can't talk her out of it, she's already there... I tried, but it didn't work, obviously...
#11 of 20 Old 02-10-2006, 05:48 PM

Sounds like a tough situation. I hope someone can get your friend to see that she's going to be in a tough spot with no medical care and no way to buy anything, go anywhere, do... anything really on base. You have to present your dependent ID for everything and give your spouse's social at every dr's appt, etc.

You're being a good friend by trying to get the info for her though! I hope she doesn't end up in a rough situation with her new babe
#12 of 20 Old 02-10-2006, 06:28 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Oh no, your friend has certainly told the other friend a lot of misinformation. In the Air Force, you have to fill out some paperwork if anyone was to stay over 30 days, and there is no way she'll be able to receive medical care on base. They could get kicked out of housing. And, the friend that is staying will never be able to enter the base by herself, or shop at the PX or commissary because they ask for ID's all the time now.

student/sahm to three awesome girls who are always on the go!
#13 of 20 Old 02-10-2006, 06:39 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you to everyone for reassuring me that I'm not insane...lol And helping me to really KNOW that I'm doing right by trying to get the most accurate information as possible to my friend..

I will keep making calls, and seeing if I can get more specifics for her. I just know that unless it comes from someone else the other friend (the wife) will continue to convince my friend that I am the one with the wrong info *sighs*

Here's hoping my friend does not get into any trouble in the meantime...
#14 of 20 Old 02-10-2006, 06:53 PM

Wow, I don't know why anyone would want to live on base without an ID. We can buy gas without one (pay at the pump) but that is about it. She certainly won't be able to get medical care at a military treatment facility. I am sure your friend will figure this out very quickly though if she is already there.

Oh well, you did try to help and you are a good friend for doing it. Some people just don't want to listen.
#15 of 20 Old 02-10-2006, 07:00 PM - Thread Starter

It's just sad. She's nearly 17 weeks pregnant, no ID, no SS card, no birth certificate (all in her purse when stolen)... No insurance, either in her old state or now where she is at the army base.

Hoping this all works out, and thank you all again for the replies!
#16 of 20 Old 02-11-2006, 08:24 AM

How did your friend even manage to get on the base without any ID? The only base that I go to regularly requires visitors to show two IDs and be with someone with a valid military ID.
#17 of 20 Old 02-11-2006, 10:40 AM

It depends on the base. At most of the ones we've been on as long as you're at threat condition Alpha or even Beta I think, during the day you can bring anyone on with you, as long as someone in the car has a military ID (and there's a decal on the car). Usually after 10 pm or so, they start checking everyone in the car, IME. So the military spouse probably took the friend on during the day when they weren't checking everyone.
#18 of 20 Old 02-11-2006, 11:25 AM

Oh, that must be it. The only base that I go to on a regular basis is locked up tight, probably because it's a high-level communications center and houses a big lab where they research scary, dangerous stuff. Nobody gets in without ID.

OT: it's funny how times have changed. DH grew up near this base (because his dad was stationed there for 15 years) and when he was a kid there was actually a hole in the back fence s big that he and his brother used it as a shortcut to get from their house to where their dad's office and the PX without having to walk around to one of the gates. Doing that these days would get you killed.
#19 of 20 Old 02-11-2006, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie Bugs Mama
Oh, that must be it. The only base that I go to on a regular basis is locked up tight, probably because it's a high-level communications center and houses a big lab where they research scary, dangerous stuff. Nobody gets in without ID.

OT: it's funny how times have changed. DH grew up near this base (because his dad was stationed there for 15 years) and when he was a kid there was actually a hole in the back fence s big that he and his brother used it as a shortcut to get from their house to where their dad's office and the PX without having to walk around to one of the gates. Doing that these days would get you killed.
I was going to ask the same thing, the base where DH works is 100% ID check all the time.
#20 of 20 Old 02-11-2006, 08:31 PM - Thread Starter

As far as I've been told by my friend, as long as the husband or the wife were in the car, she was able to get in, not showing her ID, only they had to.

So, from what I understood they met her elsewhere, and one of them hopped in her car etc...

ANyway, spoke with her last night and she's miserable and considering leaving anyway.
Thanks everyone!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page