WWYD? Vacation planning, pool at my familys house, no cover.... - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: Vacationing with family, uncovered pool, small kids. Do you......
request the pool be drained. It's only for a week or so, we want to sightsee! 0 0%
request a tightly fitting pool cover be put on, or buy one for them 7 100.00%
stay at a hotel where pool use is more controlled 13 100.00%
other 21 100.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 32 Old 02-22-2006, 05:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Would you ask that the pool be drained for the duration of your stay, if you cannot stay for more than a little over a week anyway, and want to go sightseeing and to actual beaches rather than stay home and swim(above ground pool) or insist a cover be put on and a safety lock on the door, or stay at a hotel?

Keep in mind children are under 4 years old, extremely curious,spirited,and sometimes sneaky.

Due with number 5 in August. We do all that crunchy stuff.
#2 of 32 Old 02-22-2006, 05:25 PM

So it's an above ground pool without a fence around it? Would you be the one paying for the pool cover? Probably would be the cheaper way to go than to stay at a motel.

Unassisted birthing, atheist, poly, bi WOHM to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wes (14) Seth (7) Pandora Moonlilly (2) and Nevermore Stargazer (11/2012)  Married to awesome SAH DH.

#3 of 32 Old 02-22-2006, 05:27 PM

Draining a pool is a huge PITA and can be expensive to re-set up when you count all the water, and the chemicals to get it balanced.
#4 of 32 Old 02-22-2006, 05:28 PM - Thread Starter

[QUOTE=Sharlla]So it's an above ground pool without a fence around it? Would you be the one paying for the pool cover? Probably would be the cheaper way to go than to stay at a motel.[/QUOTE

Yep,no fence. I am thinking of looking for a cover on ebay... I just KNOW my kids would be sneaking outside 24/7. They are climbers, so the above ground part is no nig deal for them

My dh is checking the hotel prices in Key West, though I think a cover may be cheaper .

#5 of 32 Old 02-22-2006, 05:28 PM

Ditto to the above posters. If they don't have a cover I would respectfully decline their offer to stay at their home, and get a hotel instead. I'm sure they'd understand if you described your situation and your anxieties.

DH & Me + DS(7)  DD(6)  DD(4)  DS(3)  DD(1)  

Baby #6: 20****25****30****35**heartbeat.gif** - EDD December 17, 2010
#6 of 32 Old 02-22-2006, 05:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by whateverdidiwants
Draining a pool is a huge PITA and can be expensive to re-set up when you count all the water, and the chemicals to get it balanced.
It is a pretty small pool, 4 feet deep, can't remember how wide-but I know it can be a pain..

#7 of 32 Old 02-22-2006, 05:31 PM

I think the drained pool would scare me almost as much because of the fall onto a hard surface, so I don't think that would work at all. It really depends on the house. My grandparents have a house with a pool, and the pool is not fenced in. The doors are always locked, and there are childproof locks at the top of the doors that kids could not reach even if standing on something, and they are always locked. Everyone makes sure the doors are locked at all times, and it is never left just open. I do watch them carefully as well, because my ds is very curious, energetic, etc. If you have a family that will help you by not leaving doors open, will help watch the kids, and thinks about these things I think it can work. If not, I would stay at a hotel if you don't feel comfortable.
#8 of 32 Old 02-22-2006, 05:31 PM - Thread Starter

To clarify, it is my parents place we would be staying at

#9 of 32 Old 02-22-2006, 05:36 PM

I would buy them a pool cover or stay at a hotel.

My Etsy Shop
Acorn Dolls~Wool Felt Crowns~Children's Craft Kits~Shooting Stars~Dancing Fairy Rings~Come On Over and Play!
#10 of 32 Old 02-22-2006, 05:37 PM

Continuum-Concept mother here - I voted other. I'd be teaching my kids about pool safety.

Third generation WOHM. I work by choice.
#11 of 32 Old 02-22-2006, 05:40 PM

How would they get in the pool if the ladder is put away? I would just buy one of those plastic covers and call it done. Tell the kids to stay away from it and just keep an eye on them.

Unassisted birthing, atheist, poly, bi WOHM to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wes (14) Seth (7) Pandora Moonlilly (2) and Nevermore Stargazer (11/2012)  Married to awesome SAH DH.

#12 of 32 Old 02-22-2006, 05:43 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I'd either buy them some sort of safety equipment for the pool (removable ladder or hard cover) or stay at a hotel.

This wouldn't substitute for teaching my children about pool safety, but I wouldn't trust toddlers to remember safety rules. If the youngest child was over 4 I might consider that.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19 (in Israel for another school year), Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 12(homeschooled)
#13 of 32 Old 02-22-2006, 05:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2JandG
I think the drained pool would scare me almost as much because of the fall onto a hard surface, so I don't think that would work at all. It really depends on the house. My grandparents have a house with a pool, and the pool is not fenced in. The doors are always locked, and there are childproof locks at the top of the doors that kids could not reach even if standing on something, and they are always locked. Everyone makes sure the doors are locked at all times, and it is never left just open. I do watch them carefully as well, because my ds is very curious, energetic, etc. If you have a family that will help you by not leaving doors open, will help watch the kids, and thinks about these things I think it can work. If not, I would stay at a hotel if you don't feel comfortable.
I agree, a draine dpool wuld scare me a bit as well, but my kids climb all the time, so they are pretty good at it....
It's just they have this thing of having to play out back everyday all day now, so going outside is a major problem with an open pool, even with door locks

thanks to everyone who answered, it really helps!

#14 of 32 Old 02-22-2006, 05:48 PM

Other: Probably the cheapest thing to do is to buy a pool alarm, something that goes off if anyone falls in the pool.

For my own DD, when I'm at my sister's house, I've just explained pool safety to her and kept an eye on her.
#15 of 32 Old 02-22-2006, 05:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthla
I'd either buy them some sort of safety equipment for the pool (removable ladder or hard cover) or stay at a hotel.

This wouldn't substitute for teaching my children about pool safety, but I wouldn't trust toddlers to remember safety rules. If the youngest child was over 4 I might consider that.
Yes, I would definitely give them some swimming time and teach them-which I think the cover might be good for. Showing that we keep it covered for safety, etc.

#16 of 32 Old 02-22-2006, 05:58 PM

I definitely wouldn't ask that the pool be drained. I'd start way in advance teaching dd pool safety, and I'd plan on keeping an eagle-eye on her. I might also put a special lock on the back door or get a pool alarm. The idea of a pool cover scares me because what if a curious kid manages to get under it and then can't get out OR be seen?
#17 of 32 Old 02-22-2006, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie Bugs Mama
I definitely wouldn't ask that the pool be drained. I'd start way in advance teaching dd pool safety, and I'd plan on keeping an eagle-eye on her. I might also put a special lock on the back door or get a pool alarm. The idea of a pool cover scares me because what if a curious kid manages to get under it and then can't get out OR be seen?
:
#18 of 32 Old 02-22-2006, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie Bugs Mama
The idea of a pool cover scares me because what if a curious kid manages to get under it and then can't get out OR be seen?
That's exactly what I was thinking. Sounds dangerous.

I vote for staying, teaching your kids to be safe and watching them closely. If you're planning to spend most of your time other places it's not as big of a concern.
#19 of 32 Old 02-22-2006, 06:30 PM

This is your parents house? If so, talk to them about the dangers of a pool that is left open. If a child got into their yard they could drown. Point being, them getting set up with a proper cover that actually keeps children out (many children can just climb under or the cover just sinks with them on top of it letting water on top of them and drowning them or they get wrapped up in the cover and drown) is in the best interest for not only their grandkids, but the rest of the kids in the neighbourhood as well.

If your parents won't take your safety concerns seriously, then stay in a hotel.

Tofie ~ mama to DD1, DD2 and Pookie v3 debuting December 2011
Oh my God....women are the COWS of PEOPLE!! --Reese, Malcolm in the Middle
#20 of 32 Old 02-22-2006, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyWild
Other: Probably the cheapest thing to do is to buy a pool alarm, something that goes off if anyone falls in the pool.
Once the alarm goes off, it's often too late to save the child once you get there. I'd rather have something preventing them from getting in the pool in the first place.

Tofie ~ mama to DD1, DD2 and Pookie v3 debuting December 2011
Oh my God....women are the COWS of PEOPLE!! --Reese, Malcolm in the Middle
#21 of 32 Old 02-22-2006, 07:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechnoGranola
This is your parents house? If so, talk to them about the dangers of a pool that is left open. If a child got into their yard they could drown. Point being, them getting set up with a proper cover that actually keeps children out (many children can just climb under or the cover just sinks with them on top of it letting water on top of them and drowning them or they get wrapped up in the cover and drown) is in the best interest for not only their grandkids, but the rest of the kids in the neighbourhood as well.

If your parents won't take your safety concerns seriously, then stay in a hotel.

i just don't know what to do.... I don't think an alarm would work, or safety locks,blah.... I mean, really just draining the pool would be the best thing.it is a fairly small above ground pool, to clarify.
I have since talked with my mom though, and she is totally oppossed to draining the pool. (Very selfish in my opinion,if I can just get that out) seeing as how she hasn't seen her grandson at all. She just can't go without her pool at all for a week, even though we'ed be sightseeing and doing tons of beach trips

#22 of 32 Old 02-22-2006, 07:48 PM

locks, childproof locks on the house. draining it is kind of unreasonable. door locks the kids can't reach, a few bucks, a few minutes to install (you weren't going to let them outside in an unfenced yard unsupervised anyway, right?) and (most) covers are a worse hazard than an uncovered pool. (now if they squall about drill holes in their doors, i'd go ahead and call them selfish. ) and a hotel if you aren't comfortable. draining it is beyond a pita.
#23 of 32 Old 02-22-2006, 08:07 PM

We have a sensitive pool alarm and the reciever is extremely loud and in the kitchen..(we also have an above ground pool with a fence.) I think if you are that worried then stay somewhere else if possible..so you can relax and have fun!!

The high locks idea is a good one. We have one on the fron door so our toddler can escape or when I answer the door home alone. I just flips back and fourth $2-5.00 probably.

homebirth.jpg<>< Mama to DS, DD, and a new baby girl 4/1! homeschool.gifmdcblog5.gif

#24 of 32 Old 02-22-2006, 08:08 PM

I don't think I'd stay there. Besides - it's likely against her city bylaws to have a pool without a fence around it, and she is legally liable should a child sneak in and be harmed. I'd be suggesting she get a cover for it AND be putting up a fence, if for no other reason than to cover her own rump.

Canadian mom to Boo (Aug '02), Bug (Aug '04) and Bear (Dec '06).
Jesse (July '09)
#25 of 32 Old 02-22-2006, 08:08 PM

I think as long as you are on guard for the week (I know, not that relaxing) you will be fine, unless your kids wander at night or something like that. I think many pool related accidents happen when people let their guards down, it seems that would be more likely to happen if you lived by a pool rather than on a week vacation where you think about pool safety all the time, but that's just my opinion. If this will cause too much stress definitely stay at a hotel.
#26 of 32 Old 02-22-2006, 10:55 PM

The other lady's made good comments about why the pool cannot be just drained and a cover might not be safe either.

No matter were you stay hotel or your parents house your kids are going to be in a new enviorment, with a million little things that they can get hurt on or break. I would just keep a close eye on them.

Your mom could have posions in bad places or breakables. You might have to put her medicine up high. The hotel can be unsafe also. You can have issues with outlet covers. The germy bed spreads, sheets, et. Then if house keeping missed anything like someone elses pills or a needle (sewing, et).

Close eye is really the only safe thing to do.
#27 of 32 Old 02-22-2006, 11:20 PM

I'd stay at a hotel.

It wouldn't be worth the safety risk or hassle of being 'on guard' every minute or the hassle of begging Mom to drain it. It's likely she should legally have it fenced anyway but I wouldn't be the one to tell her.

I can't make everyone conform to my safety standards but I can control where I stay.
#28 of 32 Old 02-23-2006, 12:00 AM

My parents (dad and stepmom) have a big in ground pool.

I've never even considered asking them to do something about it when we have gone to visit.

My sisters live in the same town and have never asked either.

We just watch our kids and make sure they are not near the water without a parent present.

I understand the worries, especially having two so young and close in age. But.. It really isn't fair to ask others to modify their homes while we visit with kids.

Talk to the kids about water. Start teaching them water safety. You can never start too young. If you really won't be there much, sightseeing and all, there shouldn't be too many times where you have to stress about the kids and the pool.

Go, have fun, enjoy the sights and your family!

Janis

:
#29 of 32 Old 02-23-2006, 02:55 AM

It sounds like you have a lot planned to do for this trip, how much time will you be spending just lounging around the house anyway? Draining a pool is both expensive and wasteful. If it's an above ground pool, pull up the ladder, make sure there's nothing else that the kiddos can use to climb on (tables, chairs, toys ect) and don't leave them unsupervised. I'm sure no matter how hard they try they don't escape your line of sight too often anyway

We have a rule when we take ds to the pool. The person who is watching him play has to say "I've got him". That way everyone knows who is in charge of watching him. No one assumes the other guy is keeping a close eye on him. Most pool accidents happen when there are adults present. It usually means that they all thought someone else was watching. Maybe you can try something like that when you have the kids outside playing?
#30 of 32 Old 02-23-2006, 09:29 AM

The thing I see here is,

This parent has a right to say, this is my VACATION and I want to get some rest.

Keeping an eagle eye on the pool/child every second is not relaxing.

It could be a teachable moment/week for learning pool safety, and that is great! But will be a lot of work.

Take the time to heal from your marriage before you move on with someone else. Make a list of all the qualities you would like in a new partner and then work on growing that way yourself. ~mandib50

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page