Mothering Forums

Mothering Forums (http://www.mothering.com/forum/)
-   Talk Amongst Ourselves (http://www.mothering.com/forum/16-talk-amongst-ourselves/)
-   -   locks of love (http://www.mothering.com/forum/16-talk-amongst-ourselves/418637-locks-love.html)

memory maker 03-05-2006 01:54 AM

Has anyone ever donated hair to them? how was your experience with it? My hair is getting pretty long and I have been thinking of cutting it. I would just need to let it grow a little longer to reach the 10 inches they require.

kamilla626 03-05-2006 01:57 AM

I haven't done it, but I know a few people that have. As far as I know, it isn't much of an "experience".

Just chop it off and mail it!

So how short will it be after you cut it?

luvmy3boys 03-05-2006 01:58 AM

I donated to Locks of Love last June. I had a very positive experience, but I know LOL isn't overly popular here (MDC) because of the 'small' number of wigs they make a year.

Snowdrift 03-05-2006 01:59 AM

I intended to, but never sent it in

Yet.

I've got this fifteen inch ponytail sitting in a drawer. Where it's been for two years. They say you can send it in even it's old.

Oops.

eleven 03-05-2006 01:59 AM

You might want to do a bit of background research on the Locks of Love. Some of the stuff I've read has really turned me off.

I'm pretty sure there have been threads here at mdc about them.

(Boy do I feel like Debbie Downer! )

luvmy3boys 03-05-2006 02:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamilla626
I haven't done it, but I know a few people that have. As far as I know, it isn't much of an "experience".

Just chop it off and mail it!

So how short will it be after you cut it?
Cross posted, so I thought I would share more about the "experience." I had my hair cut at one of the salons listed on their website and the ladies there were great and all thanked me. They took care of packaging and mailing my hair, all I had to do was fill out a form (you can get it from the LOL website or the salon). A few weeks later I received a thank you from LOL. So, I got a cute new do, a lot of thanks and helped a child with cancer get a wig (whether through use of my hair for the wig or use of its sale to keep LOL open).

stirringleaf 03-05-2006 02:05 AM

Theres been alot of threads about Locks of Love, and as far as i know its a scam

every once and a while someone posts about this and maybe you are really just asking, and you are for real, but sometimes i wonder if these posts are just spam-promo posts for Locks of Love. :

The Lucky One 03-05-2006 02:29 AM

Locks of Love is a scam?

I've been at MDC for going on 4 yrs and I've never seen a negative thread about it.

I sent them a ponytail back in 2003 and received a nice card letting me know they received it. That was my experience.

Jilian 03-05-2006 02:40 AM

Can anyone post a link to the negative LOL thread(s)? I too have a ponytail sitting in my drawer waiting to be donated to them, but if they are truly a scam I will find something else to do with the hair.

mystic~mama 03-05-2006 02:50 AM

last year i sent in a foot of hair...never recieved a thank you I'm happy to have my hair semi long again...it was an experience in self acceptance going from very long hair to short hair for me...i'm interested to read the threads on LOL.

stirringleaf 03-05-2006 03:02 AM

i have been on MDC for 4 years as well and it really does come up pretty often. I think i myself have asked the quesion , once when i wanted to cut my long hair off. I dont know where the thread is, but I just remember at least 2 threads going in the past where people warned everyone off of locks of love, saying that the hair didnt really get sent anywhere. or something like that. Whatever the problem with them was, I was convinced the first time i read about it, that I wouldnt send hair to them.

I am sorry i just personally am having some kind of issue that wont let me spend the required amt of time digging up the thread. but it was probaly in TAO, and i would say that the last time i heard about it was maybe last summer?

you can just ignore me if you want! maybe tomorrow someone who knows these things will come on and post with more solid info.

chersolly 03-05-2006 03:05 AM

I have a friend who works at a LOL participating strip mall hair salon. You know the type: hair cut for $9.99. She said they just throw the hair away. Or the packages will sit in the back and never be shipped.

LOL sells most of the hair anyways.

MelMel 03-05-2006 03:23 AM

i will try to find some of the threads...

i remember reading that LOL actually only donated a few hundred wigs a year of the thousands and thousands of wigs they make, most of which are sold for high prices under the company line of 'operating expenses' or something. I just was thinking about this recently when I was watching the bonus features of a big hollywood movie and they were talking about the wigs the actors were wearing and how they cost 'thousands of dollars each' and how they were made from real hair....where does all that hair come from for all those fancy wigs in wig shops and in all the movies, etc....do they have hair farms where people just sit and eat jello and grow their hair?

wouldnt it be clever to just convince people to DONATE their valuable hair under the impressions it was going towards cancer patients, and then give a couple token wigs a year to the kids while making a fortune on designer wigs? hmmmmm.....

edited to add: I found this article online, its not about any wrong doing that LOL is involved in, but does mention its part of a 'for profit' wig making company (but that makes sense since they have the equipment to make the wigs, right? i thought it was funny that it mentions a vaccine reaction started the whole thing, lol

http://www.bharatbhasha.com/miscellaneous.php/32945

DarkHorseMama 03-05-2006 03:36 AM

One of the comments I found online from a columnist
Quote:
It is my personal opinion that there are still a lot of unknowns about Locks of Love. One thing that concerns me personally is that even though a very large number of people send their hair to Locks of Love every year, only a very small percentage of that hair is reportedly used on wigs for children. What happens to the rest of that hair? It is hard to say and I don't believe that the Locks of Love organization has fully disclosed enough of what they do with the "leftover" hair to be satisfied with their answers.
Also, from the FAQ of Locks of Love's own website:
Quote:
Q: Can I donate a ponytail that is shorter than 10 inches?
A: Yes, but only with the understanding that it will most likely be sold to help offset the at-cost manufacturing of hairpieces for children. If this is your desire, please include a note to this effect with your hair donation.

Hair that is short, gray, or unsuitable for children will be separated from the ponytails and sold at fair market value to offset the cost of manufacturing.
So, if someone is donating their hair specifically with the dream that it will help cover a child's head, that may not necessarily be true.

Or, you can put your hair up for sale!

Phoenix_Rising 03-05-2006 05:17 AM

nak
I am totally lost here. . .i cut my hair 3 weeks ago with the intention of sending it to LOL and have not, then just read this. so if you do not want to sell your hair, just donate it, where else would you send it? this is really important to me - it is something I am doing "in memory of" a loved one. ideas, anyone? please?

Viola 03-05-2006 05:35 AM

My friend donates hers to the American Cancer Society for wigs for children.

DarkHorseMama 03-05-2006 01:19 PM

One other note of interest is how the Locks of Love organization was started.
Quote:
This initiative was spearheaded by Madonna Coffman a retired cardiac nurse who had a great deal of volunteer experience working for not for profits in the surrounding Palm Beach area. When Mrs. Coffman was in her 20's she developed Alopecia after receiving a hepatitis vaccination. source
Something to ponder upon.

eleven 03-05-2006 06:55 PM

It took me a while to get the search to work, but here you go: What's wrong with Locks of Love?.

tracyhos 03-05-2006 07:22 PM

Ahhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!! :

I hope it's legit. I just sent them 10 inches of my hair!

LizaBear 03-05-2006 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chersolly
I have a friend who works at a LOL participating strip mall hair salon. You know the type: hair cut for $9.99. She said they just throw the hair away. Or the packages will sit in the back and never be shipped.

LOL sells most of the hair anyways.
This would be a problem with that salon then, not with Locks of Love.

wynkenblynken&nod 03-05-2006 07:41 PM

Just fyi, lol doesn't use the hair for kids with cancer, they just mislead the public into thinking so. Actually, most kids with cancer are advised to use fake wigs because of the cost (lol doesn't just donate them, they sell them at a "reduced" rate...which can still end up being thousands of dollars) and care. Most of the kids with cancer want either turbans or hats, though because they know they have cancer and they don't want to be "fake".

There is a lot of information on the long hair community though.

LUCK!

Olivia

p.s. If you really want to help, sell the hair yourself and donate the money. LOL does usually either throw the hair away or it ends up sold as extensions for paris hilton or some other equally rich and obnoxious person.

midstreammama 03-05-2006 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tie-dyed
I intended to, but never sent it in

Yet.

I've got this fifteen inch ponytail sitting in a drawer. Where it's been for two years. They say you can send it in even it's old.

Oops.
this is me

nak

Irishmommy 03-05-2006 11:31 PM

When dd wanted to get her hair cut shorter, I called the Canadian Cancer Society and asked where to donate. They gave me a list of places cross country that are legit, and they all took different lengths of hair - I think we only got 8 inches from dd, and were still able to send it.

Peppamint 03-05-2006 11:50 PM

I donated about 10 inches last year and received a thank you card... but then I read a lot of conflicting info about LOL so I don't know if I'd do it again. But seriously- I prefer short hair so I doubt I'd ever have enough to bother donating anyway since long hair gives me a headache.

chersolly 03-06-2006 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizaBear
This would be a problem with that salon then, not with Locks of Love.
LOL is supposed to send the salons pre-paid envelopes for the hair. The hair sits in the salon for months (waiting for the envelopes) and is eventually thrown away, even after repeated calls to LOL.

BabyOsMommy 03-06-2006 10:55 AM

Scam.

Check the Better Business Bureau on them, they're not even recognized as a charity. If you check the number of wigs that they've "donated" to children verses how many donations of hair they have yearly, you'll see that there is a huge discrepancy. Almost all of the wigs they make, they sell.

The wigs for children go on a sliding scale based on income, but not for children with cancer. The wigs from LOL go to kids with alopecia or other conditions where they have long term or permanent hair loss. It's also true that most kids want and are better off without real wigs, they are hot to wear and hard to care for.

Check http://www.longhaircommunity.com and do a search on Locks of Love if you want to read more about it. This is where I got my info from, but it is just a site devoted to the care and managment of long hair.