What's the strangest thing you have ever seen? - Page 7 - Mothering Forums

#181 of 209 Old 05-23-2008, 03:31 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prensa View Post
this guy really stuck with ya!

I always worry I'll do this. I don't always notice when the thread is old, and a few times I've been reading the responses and someone says something that resonates, and I start to reply, "Yeah, me too, I know what you mean, one time..." Then I realize I am responding to something I said 2 years ago.

One time, though, there was a person who wrote something that was soo similar to something I would have written, that I checked the user name 3 times before I dared respond.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#182 of 209 Old 05-23-2008, 03:44 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallaschildren View Post
Wearing a swim suit cover up dress and only that, is strange in the middle of winter. Leaping to insinuate our kids are cruel or make fun of others because of the way they dress is over the top. Sour grapes indeed.

DC
Wow, I didn't read her post like that at all. I think she had a good point.
#183 of 209 Old 05-23-2008, 06:08 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
a man on a Harley, going 50+mph on the highway, with a 12in top hat. i have pictures to prove it.
#184 of 209 Old 05-23-2008, 11:40 AM

I have three! Well, I was part of two of them, but I'm sure the onlookers would have remembered what they witnessed as being Very Strange.

At Target, dh and I saw an early-20s guy who looked like he'd recently begun a workout routine (starting to show some muscle, but still had a gut) wearing mirrored aviator sunglasses indoors, a shiny dark-grey spandex shirt, tight leather pants, some kind of expensive-looking sneakers and overly styled hair. He clearly thought he was the epitome of sex appeal in that getup. Dh and I kept straight faces until he was past, and then about died laughing.

When I was in high school, in mid-February, when it was about 40 degrees outside, I went with two friends to a local lake, where there were some people playing on the beach and generally hanging out. The three of us (on purpose) walked straight into the lake until it was over our heads without stopping or breaking conversation. By the time we got out of the water several minutes later, the beach was empty.

Another time, my friend and I decided to do something goofy for another friend's birthday. We told her we weren't coming to her party, but really planned to put ourselves in a giant decorated refrigerator box and appear on her doorstep in the middle of the party. Birthday girl's mom was in on it.

We drove to birthday girl's house and realized that everyone was outside, so we had to park several blocks away to avoid being seen and spoiling the surprise. We got inside the box (which was covered with tinsel, random objects duct-taped on, "happy birthday" sign, etc, and was rigged with internal carrying handles, peepholes in the front, and the bottom cut out.) and started walking towards the birthday girl's house. About a block away from the house, we realized that we were being tailed by a police car. Apparently some neighbors had reported suspicious activity... our friend's mom came looking for us right then, and had to explain to the officer what was going on.

Fortunately we were a hit at the party. Several years later I was talking to people from that town, and they told me about the time they'd seen a birthday present walking down the street being tailed by a cop...

Yeah, I did some strange things in high school. Now I pretend to be normal. : But if I found another nutty mama, or if my old friends weren't scattered to the far corners of the Earth, we'd do random stuff for fun.

I don't come here anymore. MDC has become overgrown with ads & useless extra forums.
#185 of 209 Old 05-23-2008, 11:44 AM

Next to me at a stop light was a well-dressed, beautifully-coiffed woman, probably in her 60s, driving a shiny new Lexus and sucking her thumb.....

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#186 of 209 Old 05-23-2008, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hibana View Post
I have three! Well, I was part of two of them, but I'm sure the onlookers would have remembered what they witnessed as being Very Strange.

At Target, dh and I saw an early-20s guy who looked like he'd recently begun a workout routine (starting to show some muscle, but still had a gut) wearing mirrored aviator sunglasses indoors, a shiny dark-grey spandex shirt, tight leather pants, some kind of expensive-looking sneakers and overly styled hair. He clearly thought he was the epitome of sex appeal in that getup. Dh and I kept straight faces until he was past, and then about died laughing.

When I was in high school, in mid-February, when it was about 40 degrees outside, I went with two friends to a local lake, where there were some people playing on the beach and generally hanging out. The three of us (on purpose) walked straight into the lake until it was over our heads without stopping or breaking conversation. By the time we got out of the water several minutes later, the beach was empty.

Another time, my friend and I decided to do something goofy for another friend's birthday. We told her we weren't coming to her party, but really planned to put ourselves in a giant decorated refrigerator box and appear on her doorstep in the middle of the party. Birthday girl's mom was in on it.

We drove to birthday girl's house and realized that everyone was outside, so we had to park several blocks away to avoid being seen and spoiling the surprise. We got inside the box (which was covered with tinsel, random objects duct-taped on, "happy birthday" sign, etc, and was rigged with internal carrying handles, peepholes in the front, and the bottom cut out.) and started walking towards the birthday girl's house. About a block away from the house, we realized that we were being tailed by a police car. Apparently some neighbors had reported suspicious activity... our friend's mom came looking for us right then, and had to explain to the officer what was going on.

Fortunately we were a hit at the party. Several years later I was talking to people from that town, and they told me about the time they'd seen a birthday present walking down the street being tailed by a cop...

Yeah, I did some strange things in high school. Now I pretend to be normal. : But if I found another nutty mama, or if my old friends weren't scattered to the far corners of the Earth, we'd do random stuff for fun.
YOU SOUND LIKE ALL KINDS OF FUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
#187 of 209 Old 05-23-2008, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prensa View Post
this guy really stuck with ya!

I am such a dork.

Can't give up actin' tough, it's all that I'm made of. Can't scrape together quite enough to ride the bus to the outskirts of the fact that I need love. ~ Neko Case

#188 of 209 Old 05-23-2008, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bu's mama View Post
what a great thread!

The only one that pops into my head...iirc, there was a commercial for McDonalds that had a guy playing the piano with a big crescent moon head (probably late 80's). For Halloween there were 4 guys dressed up like this in a Jeep Wrangler with the top off & all their moon-heads hanging out.
Mac tonite! I totally remember that. California raisins too.
#189 of 209 Old 05-23-2008, 02:43 PM

Something that always cracks me up is that one Mothers Day we are in a little tourist store, on the way to my moms, looking for a gift. A car screeches to a stop outside, and a teenage boy jumps out. Bursts through the door, finds the clerk and asks, hysterically, "DO YOU HAVE AN APPLE APRON!?!" And she, without missing a beat and sensing the urgency, runs to the back and says "I HAVE AN APPLE APRON!" and he like shoves money at her and runs out, and speeds off. DH and I always laugh at the apple apron emergency.

The other day was the Gay Pride festival here in Long Beach, CA, and I saw a guy walking down the street wearing just a jock strap. I still think thats weird, dont see what it has to do with pride. He was walking down the street in a jock strap!

I also recently saw a guy playing the trumpet while driving his car. He was good, too!

~Shannon~ Proud Mama of 3 girls, ages 7,4, and 2.
#190 of 209 Old 05-23-2008, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8'sMom View Post
YOU SOUND LIKE ALL KINDS OF FUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Aww, thanks! :

I don't come here anymore. MDC has become overgrown with ads & useless extra forums.
#191 of 209 Old 05-23-2008, 03:03 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
The glittery-faced woman on this year's American Idol auditions that said, "Take it, Simon. Take it, take it, take it."
#192 of 209 Old 05-23-2008, 03:09 PM

I saw lots of interesting things when I worked on the beach. One was this older guy, had to be in his 60s. He had long, straggly grey hair, lots of body hair and always wore thong bikinis in animal prints.

There was also this guy with a little dog who liked to ride around the beach on his bike. He'd dress the dog up in funny outfits- biker leather, leopard print, etc- and wear it in a snuggly on his chest while he rode around. I wish I had taken his picture.

Amy, mom to LadyBug, SnuggleBug and StinkBug.  Expecting BabyBug in August 2011.
#193 of 209 Old 05-23-2008, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by becoming View Post
The glittery-faced woman on this year's American Idol auditions that said, "Take it, Simon. Take it, take it, take it."
What about the guy who sang...."LET MY PEOPLE GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

That was crazy!
#194 of 209 Old 05-23-2008, 03:40 PM

There's a guy in Lancaster city who has attached a "spaceship" to his bicycle. He's about 55 and just drives around the city with this spaceship-looking trailer on the back of his bike, like something out of Speed Racer.

Sara caffix.gif, Keith 2whistle.gif, Toby 6/08superhero.gif, Nomi 4/10blahblah.gif, Mona 1/12 hammer.gif

Mama of three, lover, student rabbi, spoonie, friend, musician, narcoleptic, space muffin, pretty much a dragon. Crunchy like matzoh.

#195 of 209 Old 05-23-2008, 03:54 PM

I was visiting my aunt who lives in Northern CA and her dog came through the doggy door flap from the backyard and went straight to his food/water dish. He was followed a half a second later by a baby deer who helped him chow down on his dog food. What's funny is this happened while my aunt was at work and she had been wondering why her dog was always pestering her for more food in the evenings. He had been sharing!
#196 of 209 Old 05-23-2008, 04:54 PM

In the middle of the sidewalk in Chicago: two pieces of sandwich bread, one spread with mustard with a dead goldfish stuck in the mustard.

Mom to dd (8), ds (6), and dd (1)

#197 of 209 Old 05-23-2008, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlutterBee View Post
I was visiting my aunt who lives in Northern CA and her dog came through the doggy door flap from the backyard and went straight to his food/water dish. He was followed a half a second later by a baby deer who helped him chow down on his dog food. What's funny is this happened while my aunt was at work and she had been wondering why her dog was always pestering her for more food in the evenings. He had been sharing!
That's soo precious!
#198 of 209 Old 05-23-2008, 05:26 PM

We lived down the street from Santa Claus. He rode an old Indian motorcycle and wore a black leather vest. Same town, there was a guy with a nissan pickup truck with a cap on the back he'd built (in a rather ramshackle manner) out of particle board and sprayed bright pink.
Oh, and I saw a guy carrying about a ten feet long piece of large black pipe onto the subway on my one trip to NYC. Could have been normal for all I know, but it made me stare!

Mom of 4 aspiring midwife "Friend"ly seeker
#199 of 209 Old 05-23-2008, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessasMilkMama View Post
The other day was the Gay Pride festival here in Long Beach, CA, and I saw a guy walking down the street wearing just a jock strap. I still think thats weird, dont see what it has to do with pride. He was walking down the street in a jock strap!
I'd say you have to have a lot of pride to go walking down the street in nothing but a jock strap.
#200 of 209 Old 05-23-2008, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCatLvrMom2A&X View Post
Also a guy from England who lives in a wood shack on a island who is totally covered int lepord spots from head to toe.
There's a guy in Austin that's covered in leopard spots. His name is Larry. Nice guy with a cute kid.
#201 of 209 Old 05-23-2008, 11:55 PM

Recently? An 80's style sting ray corvette on 20 inch spinning rims. It was metallic purple with flames to boot. It both hilarious and hideous!

Frankenstein never scared me. Marsupials do. Because they're FAST.
#202 of 209 Old 05-24-2008, 12:01 AM

Ok, North_of_60's post reminded me of one we saw a few years back...

So, some people do a lot of aftermarket "styling" to their cars. And maybe they get license plate frames with the model of the car in fancy script, because they're really proud of their stylish car. They give their nifty ride custom rims, a spoiler, racing stripes, what have you. That is not particularly strange.

What is strange is seeing a Ford Taurus that someone's done up like this. Even to the point of having "Taurus" silk-screened across the top of the windshield.

Something that seems to be a new fad around here is putting make/model names/numbers for other cars on the back of your car. There's a Honda del Sol with a Mercedes emblem and a CLK 320 on the back that parks on our street, and the other day I saw an Acura MDX SUV marked as a Mazda 5. That one really confused me, because they're similar shapes, but the MDX is WAY bigger. (Also: why would you want people to think your luxury SUV is a Mazda minivan? As cool as the Mazda 5 is...)
#203 of 209 Old 05-24-2008, 12:07 AM

This happened a few months ago at Wal-Mart. I was in line buying some painters tape and was at the register. The clerk starts ringing me up but stops mid scan to add bags to the bag holder. Ok, so I am thinking she really doesn't have to do this now but I keep quiet. Then she starts talking to me about how hold I am(29) and how 30 is old and when she get old(30???) she is going to dress very hippy. Right now she is a goth but a hippy is more mature. I am thinking this is so crazy and I turn and look at the others in line. The woman behind me is between 50-60 years old and she has an entire cart of condoms!! All types and styles. Then the man behind her who she apparently knows but isn't with has condoms too. Just a box or two and some allergy meds or something. Then there are the people behind them. Young adults/teens making out right on the magazines! I mean going at it, hands down pants/up shirts getting it on. I was almost like I was on candid camera or something. And the checker is still babbling on about being old and how she is going to dress. It was odd to say the least.

Sara
I love my girlsMadaline(9), Mary-Grace(7), Georgia(3), & Evelyn(1)
#204 of 209 Old 05-24-2008, 11:59 AM

Holy crap, Sara. How did you not scream??? :

upsidedown.gif  Please see my Community Profile! energy.gif blogging.jpg about Asperger's Syndrome!

#205 of 209 Old 06-05-2008, 11:03 PM

uc.jpg  lotbirth.gif   waterbirth.jpg 
#206 of 209 Old 06-05-2008, 11:58 PM

I was in Walgreens today and when I went up to the pharmacy counter there was a guy there wearing his monkey. Yes I do mean baby wearing his monkey. It was the cutest little thing and v. sweet. I asked to pet him and he let me no problems. I wanted to ask him if it was a specifically designed for monkey carrier or if it was designed for human babies but I didn't think of it. AP is not just for humans people

The monkey was 15 and he'd had him most of his life. His little hands were amazing. So expressive, absolutely amazing creature.
#207 of 209 Old 06-06-2008, 01:18 AM

baby wearing his monkey...

Casey, wife to Danny, mom to Olive : and Darcy : .
#208 of 209 Old 06-06-2008, 01:25 AM

When I was a kid, there was a man that sold the News Paper in the middle of a main street in my city... he used to wear shorts so short (shorter than daisy dukes), and tank tops in the summer. He would dance all around, and stick his butt out, and dance around.

I was a kid, and this was hilarious to me. I think about it now, and still find it kind of funny.

He no longer sells the paper, and I saw him in CPS Court one day. He looked well, and I said "hello." I couldn't get up the nerve to say that I knew him from when he sold the paper, and I was there supporting a client, so that made it even more inappropriate.
#209 of 209 Old 06-06-2008, 03:26 AM

Every day Chris or someone in my family does something that I think takes the cake for strangest thing ever...and then within hours they prove me wrong. We're a crazy bunch!

Formerly known as "JessicaRenee".  hang.gif  Single mama to Jude (Sept '09)!  biggrinbounce.gif

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page