Acts of kindness by strangers... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 05-10-2006, 10:16 AM - Thread Starter
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am so happy today, because I got an email back from a stranger that helped to solve one of my worries. That stranger has never met me, I've never done anything for them, nor is there likely to be a chance in the future that I will be in a position to do so. But they took time out of their day to ask others until they found the info I needed (it actually took a few weeks!) and then sent it to me. It makes me feel so wonderful knowing there are still people out there who are willing to help and be so kind.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 13 Old 05-10-2006, 10:20 AM

#3 of 13 Old 05-10-2006, 10:24 AM - Thread Starter
Banned

Isn't it? I've been glowing all day with a renewed sense of happiness with living on this planet. It def. can be more good than bad!
#4 of 13 Old 05-10-2006, 10:25 AM

That's awesome!

This is a little thing, but I was really happy when a stranger helped me get my toddler out of the cart at TJ's yesterday... I was slinging the baby & logistics were eluding me about how to do it!

An extrovert, married to my introverted dh since '01, mothering my girls C (2003) and G (2006).

Love homeschooling, reading, cooking (most of the time grain-free except for when I'm not ), lactivist, former and wanna-be cloth diaperer and baby-wearer...

#5 of 13 Old 05-10-2006, 10:32 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
ooooh thank you for starting this. being poor has really helped me see the kindness in other folks. i am moved by every little thing even their understanding smile about my tantruming child.

the other day we had been out with my dd in her stroller and had been walking for ages. since it was early i sat down to rest in the outdoor chairs of a restaurant after i asked the non restaurant part of the business if it was ok to sit down. a while later a young good looking chef came out on his smoke break. he gave me a big smile (ooh that was good itself) and moved far away to smoke. while he was going in my dd started coughing. she has a cold. he goes in and comes out with a bottle of water - 'i heard your little one cough and so brought her this'. just his thought so moved me.

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#6 of 13 Old 05-10-2006, 10:37 AM - Thread Starter
Banned

Oh, that is so sweet!
#7 of 13 Old 05-10-2006, 10:44 AM

Not that this is anything grand and probably not exactly "healthy", but I remember several times being in the car as a child with my dad in line at a fast food place or something of that nature. He would tell the cashier that he'd like to pay for the person behind him. The cashiers always looked confused, but I always thought it was really nice. Imagine pulling up next and finding out you don't have to pay for anything. Pretty nice surprise! I always thought it was nice of him anyway.

Mama to : '05, '08, '10 and expecting our 3rd homebirth.jpgJanuary '13

#8 of 13 Old 05-10-2006, 11:19 AM

There are still good people in the world!
#9 of 13 Old 05-10-2006, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetsyPage
That's awesome!

This is a little thing, but I was really happy when a stranger helped me get my toddler out of the cart at TJ's yesterday... I was slinging the baby & logistics were eluding me about how to do it!
Ha! Funny coincidence...I was also helped by a very nice stranger with this very same dilemma. I was grocery shopping with the babe inthe sling and DD in the cart. She wanted out and I wasn't quite sure how to do it....She offered to help and I asked DD if it was ok with her as she usually doesn't like strangers. Funny not only how nice some people can be, but how often we are all the same.
#10 of 13 Old 05-10-2006, 12:19 PM
Banned

I will never forget the man who paid for ALL of my groceries.
I was hugely pregnant, two kids, and the cashier kept pushing the 'credit card' button, when I was using food stamps.
After 3 times, we were yelling at each other, when a man came up and said, "Stop! I will pay for her groceries."
It was over a hundred dollars and he wouldn't let me put anything back.
He said, "It looks like you have more important things to worry about than me spending my money." and he looked at my two small kids when he said that.
I, of course, busted out in tears and kept saying "thank you, thank you."

I did make a formal complaint at that store and am happy to say they have now changed! They are completely family friendly and EBT friendly.
#11 of 13 Old 05-10-2006, 12:21 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
I love hearing the nice stories. When i was pg i had one or two REALLY kind strangers help me out of a pinch. It was a scary time - i was a PG FTM and DH was in India but there always seemed to be help when i really needed it.
#12 of 13 Old 05-10-2006, 04:40 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaInTheBoonies
I will never forget the man who paid for ALL of my groceries.
I was hugely pregnant, two kids, and the cashier kept pushing the 'credit card' button, when I was using food stamps.
After 3 times, we were yelling at each other, when a man came up and said, "Stop! I will pay for her groceries."
It was over a hundred dollars and he wouldn't let me put anything back.
He said, "It looks like you have more important things to worry about than me spending my money." and he looked at my two small kids when he said that.
I, of course, busted out in tears and kept saying "thank you, thank you."

I did make a formal complaint at that store and am happy to say they have now changed! They are completely family friendly and EBT friendly.
Oh how wonderful!!!
#13 of 13 Old 05-10-2006, 05:21 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

This may not count, but...

I took DS to the "playplace" today. Our community center's soft play area. There was an older girl in there by herself and she was wonderful. Talkative but intelligent. We discussed static buildup from the slides and how it works. She helped DS do some things that I can't, (being pregnant and too big to crawl around some places) and was just a doll.

Her dad and little sister came in for a while and left again, then her mom came in. I told her that I thought her children were wonderful.

I think raising well mannered children can be an act of kindness to all the people they will ever meet! I certainly felt a lot better than if I'd been stuck in a room with only DS, myself and a mean spirited child.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page