Hot water heater/water pressure questions - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 07-01-2006, 01:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We have been slowly losing hot water pressure over the last year. It was so gradual, I can't exactly tell when it started, but now it is ver obvious. Different friends have given different thoughts on the idea--that it is the hot water heater that needs replaced, that it is the pipes (our house is 90 years old, plumbing has been somewhat upgraded).

Our hot water heater is about 10 years old, I think.

Here are my questions.

Has anyone had an issue with just hot water pressure, and what ended up being the cause?

If it is the hot water heater that has to be replaced, what is involved in replacing it with an on-demand hot water heater, and what is an approximate estimate of expense difference?

If it *isn't* the hot water heater, what else could it be?

My husband is away right now, not that either of us know much about plumbing, but I'd like to have some ideas for when he gets back. We don't have a huge amount of cash in the bank, but we can swing something around 1000 or less. I'm hoping it will be less.

Any thoughts? Ideas? Suggestions?

Lori
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 07-01-2006, 01:55 PM

If its pressure than I would say you have a pipe clogging up.

If its a lack of hot water then it could be an element which are pretty easy to replace.

Have you drained your hot water heater lately?

It something thats not done very often but those with hard water or lots of sediment in their water should do this like every year or so.

I think the idea of on demand hot water heaters are great but when its comes to down to actually working they aren't so great.

They have more parts to break down than just a regular ole tank heater.

I have a friend who works in appliances and is always ordering parts for the instants where she rarely does in tank types. Its just not one brand either it a range of brands. I was so bummed when she told me that.
#3 of 5 Old 07-01-2006, 03:08 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much for all the information! Uhhh, yeah, draining the hot water heater. Hmmm, yeah, that might have been a good idea.

I really appreciate it!

Lori
#4 of 5 Old 07-01-2006, 03:53 PM

Draining a tank isnt always easy as they arent placed where it easy to run a garden hose to a drain or outside.

You may also want the water to cool awhile before draining as hot water and garden hoses may not be such a good mix.

The easiest way IMO to cool the tank would be to turn it off and take a shower/bath, do a load in the dishwasher or washer.

The tank does need to be turned off before draining so the elements dont get ruined.
#5 of 5 Old 07-01-2006, 10:36 PM

In our case it's the pressure regulator. Ours is all corroded and scary looking. We need to get it replaced.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page