Peeing in a Pool... what's the big deal? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 116 Old 07-13-2006, 05:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Look, it's just bad manners. If someone wants you to pee before you go in their pool because they're worried about it, I'd just humor them.
Claudia Chapman likes this.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#62 of 116 Old 07-13-2006, 05:55 PM

Those little swim diapers don't hold pee in, just poop, so baby pools must be filled with pee. Gross!
#63 of 116 Old 07-13-2006, 06:03 PM

I pee in the pool.

Anyone wanna invite me over?

Look, I don't care if you all think it's lazy, but I'm not really a fan of trying to pull of a wet suit to pee and then back on again. The soap on our skins and in our suits, the dirt and dead skin cells, and other assorted debris from our bodies is a whole lot "grosser" than my 1/2 cup of urine in a 10,000 gallon pool. Chlorine is a whole lot nastier.
#64 of 116 Old 07-13-2006, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chersolly
Everyone pees in the pool.
What?!! To me, that's like saying everyone pees on the kitchen floor. I honestly don't know why people would want to pee in a pool. Maybe it's because I only have to pee 3-4 times a day and once is when I wake up and once is after coffee and once is before bed that I just don't feel so desperately lazy as to want to pee in the pool. I mean, I've had to maintain swimming pools before and peeing in them just makes it that much harder.
#65 of 116 Old 07-13-2006, 06:05 PM

I will think about this thread at our 5:30 swim lesson. yummy.
#66 of 116 Old 07-13-2006, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamilla626
My sister and BIL have an in-ground pool and have a strict rule that people use the bathroom before going into the pool. My BIL has also told some of the neighbor kids that he added a "special chemical" to the pool that makes the water turn red if you pee. One of the kids said, "Hey Mr. K, I don't think that chemical you added works!"
I remember the first time I heard about that "chemical"... and I remember my friends testing it out...
but now I know that it doesn't exist... Wow... we were lied to often as kids!!

I know that ds pees in the pool... he is 22 months... I wouldn't expect different... and it doesn't bother me at all...Ds#1 gets out and pees in the bushes...
And well... Alone with two kids and having to get them out of the pool, console them if they are not ready to get out yet, lock the pool up and then make my way to the house all while having a baby bouncing on my bladder from the inside has made me release myself in the pool a few times... call me lazy... I don't care...

and guess what... I still look to make sure that there is no red cloud about to form around me...

~paxye~
Mama to Xavier (July 02) , Colin (Sept 04), Khéna(Nov 06) & Wilhelmina (Jan 10)
#67 of 116 Old 07-13-2006, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2JandG
Those little swim diapers don't hold pee in
Exactly.

I always laugh when people freak out about a baby not having a swim dipe on.. Very rarely would a baby poo while swimming. The pool near me has had it happen maybe twice in 5 years (I asked ). I worked in a babes' clothing store which sold the Kushies swim dipes (fabric) and so many new parents wouldn't buy them because they don't hold pee. I always had to discuss with them that neither do the disposables. I mean if a disposable was absorbing liquid it would eventually just burst like a regular disposable in water. They're only worn to catch poo. So anyone swimming with kids has to accept pee in the pool, especially if we're talking about babes.
#68 of 116 Old 07-13-2006, 06:16 PM

I look at it from a physics perspective...
The typical backyard pool is between 30 and 40 THOUSAND gallons and the typical large male will urinate a mere 20 ounces. Let's see....256,000 parts of water for one part pee. That ain't much. That is like drinking about 1 drop of pee in about 400 cups of water (if you drank pool water.) The typical public pool is between 250 and 300 THOUSAND gallons...you figure it out.

I just pee and don't really care what people think. I was also a lifeguard and a lifeguard manager for a long time.

If you peed in my pool, I'd jump in and not worry about it.
#69 of 116 Old 07-13-2006, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggi315
Pee is the least of the things that gross me out about pools. Snot (kids always seem to be snotting, sneezing, etc) at our public pool including mine. Spit, all people's nasty sweat, deodorant, hairspray, bodily fluids that happen to be sitting around "down there", dirty fingernail and toenail stuff, eye goo, ear goo, fungus, etc. etc.

Now that's gross!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, gotta go back to go to the pool now

that's what I'm saying. the amount of pee at any given moment in a public pool can not be greater that the disgust-o factor of mucus.

I'll take pee-pee any day over boogers.
#70 of 116 Old 07-13-2006, 06:32 PM

My kids are very anal about getting out to pee, which I feel reflects well upon my fastidiousness . And I know it leaks out of people, but I can't really just say, OK, so PEE. The thought of inadvertant pee is scary enough sitting in the hot tub with a half dozen old people.
#71 of 116 Old 07-13-2006, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerTail
My kids are very anal about getting out to pee, which I feel reflects well upon my fastidiousness . And I know it leaks out of people, but I can't really just say, OK, so PEE. The thought of inadvertant pee is scary enough sitting in the hot tub with a half dozen old people.
The hot tub scenario is a lot scarier.
#72 of 116 Old 07-13-2006, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OakBerry
Yes, urine is sterile when it leaves the body, but for about 5 seconds. It begins to break down and breed bacteria rather quickly, and it stinks.
Totally agree, but isn't that the point? The source of the bacteria growing in urine is on the outside of our bodies, not in the urine itself. So the bacteria is there in the pool whether you pee or not.

Chloramines do form when ammonia and chlorine mix, and one source is urine. Other sources are saliva, sweat, and body products like lotion. That is why you are suppose to shower before you swim, in addition to the obvious scrub of the 'unmentionables.'

Rather than pee, I would like to suggest that we be more horrified by farting in the pool. Most of the truly nastie bugs in pool water are fecal in origin.
#73 of 116 Old 07-13-2006, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kari_mom
Rather than pee, I would like to suggest that we be more horrified by farting in the pool. Most of the truly nastie bugs in pool water are fecal in origin.
They didn't add all that eye and lung burning chlorine to kill the pee...silly! :
#74 of 116 Old 07-13-2006, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavournin
I pee in the pool.

Anyone wanna invite me over?

Look, I don't care if you all think it's lazy, but I'm not really a fan of trying to pull of a wet suit to pee and then back on again. The soap on our skins and in our suits, the dirt and dead skin cells, and other assorted debris from our bodies is a whole lot "grosser" than my 1/2 cup of urine in a 10,000 gallon pool. Chlorine is a whole lot nastier.
While I probably wouldn't pee in my friend's backyard pool, I pee in the larger, professionally maintained public pool. I also pee in lakes. If you live somewhere near the boulevard in my hometown and you have a dog kennel, I peed in your backyard in high school. But that is off-topic.

Mavournin - If I get out to pee, I pee through my suit and then shower off before heading back out to swim. Or I just move the crotch over and try not to pee on my own hand. Because THAT would be gross.

Aside from lifting an alcoholic beverage to my face, swimming is my favorite physical activity. I will cheerfully swim in your body juices.
#75 of 116 Old 07-13-2006, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuelJetA
They didn't add all that eye and lung burning chlorine to kill the pee...silly! :
Oh, I know! My point is that most people seem to be horrified by pee and laugh when someone farts! It really should be the other way around.
#76 of 116 Old 07-13-2006, 06:57 PM

^^^ What she said!
| | |
#77 of 116 Old 07-13-2006, 07:17 PM

Why are my kids so uptight about getting out of the pool to go pee but I can't break them of peeing in the bathtub? THAT's what I'd like to know.
#78 of 116 Old 07-13-2006, 07:31 PM

the idea of it repulses me!! We actually have a "pee tree" in our back yard...my son,DH and nephews use it instead of running in the house...the girls go inside.
#79 of 116 Old 07-13-2006, 07:33 PM

I'm baffled that anyone would think that everyone pees in the pool!
Until this thread, I never would have thought that an adult would ever voluntarily do it.

Sure, it's not a big deal, but I still think it's still rude.

And for all of the reasons in this thread, we will all now take showers after the kids' upcoming swim lessons.
Claudia Chapman likes this.

DIYer mama to DD 11/00 and DS 6/05- both intact, naturally!
...missing Mothering Magazine...

#80 of 116 Old 07-13-2006, 07:40 PM

oops
#81 of 116 Old 07-13-2006, 07:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuelJetA
I look at it from a physics perspective...
The typical backyard pool is between 30 and 40 THOUSAND gallons and the typical large male will urinate a mere 20 ounces. Let's see....256,000 parts of water for one part pee. That ain't much. That is like drinking about 1 drop of pee in about 400 cups of water (if you drank pool water.) The typical public pool is between 250 and 300 THOUSAND gallons...you figure it out.

I just pee and don't really care what people think. I was also a lifeguard and a lifeguard manager for a long time.

If you peed in my pool, I'd jump in and not worry about it.
Exactly!

And please understand, if someone says they don't want me peeing in their pool, I won't. I do still think it's rude to do something that a host has specifically asks you not to do.

I'm not trying to start a big ol' "Free & Cool to Pee in Your Pool" campaign. Just thinking aloud about why many people think it's so nasty.
#82 of 116 Old 07-13-2006, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamilla626
I'm not trying to start a big ol' "Free & Cool to Pee in Your Pool" campaign. Just thinking aloud about why many people think it's so nasty.

DIYer mama to DD 11/00 and DS 6/05- both intact, naturally!
...missing Mothering Magazine...

#83 of 116 Old 07-13-2006, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerTail
Why are my kids so uptight about getting out of the pool to go pee but I can't break them of peeing in the bathtub? THAT's what I'd like to know.
It could be because the tub is warm...

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#84 of 116 Old 07-13-2006, 08:08 PM

The thought of pee in a pool never bothered me, chlorine, yes...pee, no.

We are heading out of town tomorrow for a birthday trip to a water park where I will happily be going down a slide and probably pee. So if you just happen to live in OKC and just happen to be at the water park on Saturday be cautious of the blue and purple haired pool peeing girl.
#85 of 116 Old 07-13-2006, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chersolly
She's full of shit. :
Either that or she's going to blow soon..........
#86 of 116 Old 07-13-2006, 09:19 PM
Banned

I pee in the pool.

I go to the bathroom (at my sister's house) to change into my swimsuit, pee in the toilet, *really* work to squeeze every last drop of pee out, then go outside and get in the pool, then pee again. It doesn't matter that I *just* emptied my bladder, I still can't control it. I also pee in the tub and shower, right after I pee in the toilet. Maybe my bladder is defective...I'll probably never know, and I don't really care. I don't think it's gross. As far as I know, the rest of my family also pees in the pool. We just swim away to an empty corner to do it.

I also don't see what the big deal is, considering all the nasty stuff on (and coming out of) our bodies.
#87 of 116 Old 07-13-2006, 09:27 PM

Thank you! I was waiting for someone to bring this up.

Whether or not you actually DO pee in the pool, don't you have a strong urge to pee when you get into water?

I'm like Shauna, even if I pee every drop I can the minute before I get in the pool or shower or whatever, I still really really have to pee when my body gets wet. I *can* control it if I have to, but it doesn't feel good.

So, do all of you really not feel a pee urge when you get wet?
#88 of 116 Old 07-13-2006, 09:29 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah, my body just likes to pee when I'm showering or in a pool too. I can hold it if I need to, but most of the time I just let it go!
#89 of 116 Old 07-13-2006, 09:36 PM

I have peed in the pool in the past, I don't anymore because it hurts(I don't in the shower for the same reason).

It doesn't bother me that people pee in the pool, probably because I can't see it. The chlorine that makes it so I can't breathe(indoor pools) is much worse. There are lots of other things that bug me more than a little pee. Puke and poop bug me, probably because I can see it.

For those who are bothered by pee, what about menstrual blood. Not everyone who goes in a pool while menstruating uses a tampon(which eventually will be saturated) or cup.
#90 of 116 Old 07-13-2006, 10:23 PM

i don't pee in pools, it feels dirty to me like if i was just standing there talking to someone and peed on myself. also i wear 1 piece suits and just pull the crotch to the side to pee

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page