What would you have expected? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 8 Old 07-24-2006, 07:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Last night was our date night, my parents have the kids. We get 1, maybe 2 nights/month. Life has been stressful lately and dh and I were looking to relax.

We order takeout, even though we couldn't afford it, from East Side Mario's, wanting a good meal to enjoy together with no fuss or worries. I ordered at 5:55 and was told it would be 55mins. S'alright. Delivery guy shows up at 6:55 with the wrong food. It was someone else's order for pickup. He calls the restaurant and leaves without telling us what would happen with our order.

I call their customer service and ask what's going on. She says they'll bring us our food. I say, "but it will be cold by the time it gets here". She says she'll call the store and get them to make me a new one and puts me on hold. When she comes back she says they've sent our food already with another driver. It takes 10mins in bad traffic to get across town.

30mins later the SAME driver shows up with our meal, that is lukewarm and not what I ordered. It was close, but I wanted buffalo chicken strips, not plain. I tell the driver, who is contracted, not actually and ESM employee, and he says to call the restaurant while he waits.

I call the restaurant and explain what's happened and the delivery guy is waiting for instructions and the manager says "but we sent the food". I say, I don't have what I ordered. He says he'll make me a new one and send it right out. I explain that I've been waiting for dinner for an hour and a half, and ask what he's going to do for us. He says the meal is at no charge. I say great, and tell the delivery driver that he's supposed to be getting a phone call to this effect. The delivery guys leaves.

20mins later we get a call telling us that the new meal was free, but he thought we'd already paid for the first one and we owe him the money. I'm staying calm but pretty irritated. It'd been 2 hours since we placed our order, I'd spent the bulk of the evening trying to get our food and basically had to explain all of the above plus add that I'm their customer, word of mouth means a lot and I'm not happy. I gave him the choice of just not delivering the second meal and having a dissatisfied customer, or delivering the meal at no charge and at least squaring up the issue. He relents and apologizes, but it took quite a bit of assertive convincing on my part. We got the right meals at 8:25. 2 1/2 hours after we ordered and 4 phone calls later.

My Mom thinks I shouldn't have expected free food. I think it's the least they could do for the screw up.

What would you have expected?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 07-24-2006, 07:46 PM
Banned

Free food. But I still would have gave a generous tip to the poor driver.
#3 of 8 Old 07-24-2006, 07:46 PM

It's a market economy, you got what you asked for and I have no issue with that.

I do hope you tipped the driver, as he had nothing to do with any of the lateness of it.

#4 of 8 Old 07-24-2006, 07:47 PM

We had a similar incident with Pizza Hut. The manager went above and beyond what I expected. She gave us the wrong food, then sent right order and didn't charge us for either. The delivery driver was new and we live in an apartment building that you can't tell is an apt. house (it looks like one big house). It wasn't the driver's fault so we still tipped him. And we had enough food to last many.many days.
#5 of 8 Old 07-24-2006, 07:47 PM
A&A

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaInTheBoonies
Free food. But I still would have gave a generous tip to the poor driver.
:

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."
#6 of 8 Old 07-24-2006, 07:49 PM

You did the right thing.
#7 of 8 Old 07-24-2006, 07:52 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
They screw up, you should get free food. It's called customer service.

Ruth, single mommy to 3 quasi-adults
#8 of 8 Old 07-24-2006, 07:57 PM - Thread Starter

We did tip the driver generously and I let him know that I knew it wasn't his fault.

At first I didn't ask for the whole meal for free, I waited to see what they would offer. When the offer was pretty much "You get to keep waiting for what you ordered and we get our money" I started to play hard ball. There was no yelling, threatening or arguing, I basically had to lay it out for the manager though before he'd relent. "So basically (tell the whole story to him again) you want me to pay for an order that you've messed up twice... I'm your customer, I frequent your restaurant a few time/year, I don't want to have to stop that and have a reason not to recommend you to friends and family..." before he gave in. I was : at that and expected a free meal in full at that point.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page