Update: Vent: Don't understand why my fraternal twin sister and our friend don't me - Mothering Forums

#1 of 8 Old 07-24-2006, 11:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
to share my personal information on my blog and my profile as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me and My Friend's Email to Me
Jessica A's Space.

Hope to see you guys reading and commenting on my entries in the future.

Thank you.

You should not have your address, or phone number
posted in your profile. Anyone on the internet can see
that and when you make comments such as the exact
dates you are on vacation, you leave yourself and your
family vulnerable to predators. At most you should
only have your email and even that you might consider
not posting that. Just a word of precaution.

Then, my sister, tells me that her and my parents are still worried about me because of my last depression episode. One of our other friends whos also friends with that girl as well and she did a google search on me and so on. Of course I was so upset about that issue.

They are the same girls that feel c-sections are good as natural births, I bought it up that convestion in another thread on here.

Thank you for the word precation, but still I think its not going to
happening, but still fixed my personal information so no one else besides
whom I trust my information with and going email the exact dates to all of
my friends and family.

I know you think this is dumb and disagree with me and
Lesley, but there are dangerous people out there on
the internet that strictly scan blogs looking for
information. They use it to rob houses, commit violent
sex crimes, to choose their next murder victimes and
even steal identities. This is a constant issue in the
media especially for children whom are often victims
because of posting too much specific information. You
should really be careful even sending specifics to
your friends from the internet because you just never
know....especially when you havent met them face to
face. I'm not trying to lecture you and only brought
it to your attention and Lesley's because I care. It's
always better to be safe than sorry so please be
careful!
Thank you, again, but still feel the same about this issue.
Don't get why are so worried about this issue. I'm definetly not overly worried on this issue.

Update:

Well, she told our father this morning about it. He gived me a lecture on this again. After that he looked at my blog and he loved it. Our mom was the same as our father and her was.

Still don't understand why they are like that?

Think thats it for now.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 07-25-2006, 01:55 PM - Thread Starter

#3 of 8 Old 07-25-2006, 02:10 PM

While I can understand overbearing family members and friends, in this case it seems to be to that they really have your best interest at heart. While if you leave personal information up in public areas the likelyhood of something exterme happening are low, it's a crazy world out there and still very possible. I can't say that if you were a dear friend that I wouldn't send a similar message...

#4 of 8 Old 07-25-2006, 02:14 PM

There are a lot of people out there who look for blogs and other sites that give too much personal information just for the purposes they listed. It's more common than you think. I think your family was not butting in unreasonably.
#5 of 8 Old 07-25-2006, 03:52 PM

I don't have any specific information on this but I have seen NUMEROUS threads on MDC talking about how they were stalked by other posters, etc. On another board, I had some people get very angry with me over something completely untrue, it was very weird. I had previously been friendly, for months, with this group and had emailed them with my regular email account, which showed my real name. Anyway, during the big show down, one of them emailed me my address & phone number, that she had found online. I guess it was some sort of threat.

I would say that it is definitely better to be anonymous online. Don't use your full name and shorten or initialize the names of the people you talk about in your blog. Truly. Your IRL friends and family will know who you are talking about just from the initials, perhaps one initial, the first of their first name.

Good luck.
#6 of 8 Old 07-25-2006, 04:00 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
I just informed another member yesterday that she had her MK page up that had her last name on it and phone number. I guess when you are complaining that poeple are threatening to call CPS on you, personal info like that is not a good idea.

I guess I figure you never know when you are going to piss someone off or some nasty troll decides to have fun with you. Even if you later delete that info, they probably already have it.

But it's your life, so if you feel comfortable with leaving that info to whoever, that's up to you.

Unassisted birthing, atheist, WOHM to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids 17, 11, 6, 3
#7 of 8 Old 07-25-2006, 04:01 PM - Thread Starter

, again for all of replies to my thread. Now, I have my blog profile to be only seen by my messenger contracts, family, close family friends, friends, and their friends as well.
#8 of 8 Old 07-25-2006, 09:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharlla
I just informed another member yesterday that she had her MK page up that had her last name on it and phone number. I guess when you are complaining that poeple are threatening to call CPS on you, personal info like that is not a good idea.

I guess I figure you never know when you are going to piss someone off or some nasty troll decides to have fun with you. Even if you later delete that info, they probably already have it.

But it's your life, so if you feel comfortable with leaving that info to whoever, that's up to you.
Barbara,

, for your response. Well, thank goodness, it so far hasn't happen to me before, but always never to that instinct, spl.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page