What jobs are amenable to staying home with and homeschooling your children? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 07-29-2006, 03:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Assuming that you can acquire the education for it are there actually jobs where you can work from home or at least part time? I don't mean work from home like discovery toys or mary kay or something, I mean an actual career. I am in a position right now where DH and I are making some changes. He is going back to school full-time and I would like to go part-time. We are living with my in-laws in our own apartment (in their basement) to accomplish this. We live in Ontario, Canada and I am open to any suggestions. If it matters my interests are legal, social work, science, investigating, researching. I have many other things I am interested in doing but those are the main ones that pop out. I want to homeschool my kids are they are still very young so I will need to work towards a job with flexible hours, preferably from home full or part-time. Thanks for any help!

Shawna, married to Michael, mommy to Elijah 1/18/01, Olivia 11/9/02, and Eliana 1/22/06
#2 of 6 Old 07-29-2006, 03:52 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Freelance writing? Especially since you like to investigate and research.
#3 of 6 Old 07-29-2006, 04:17 PM

You could get a job in a medical lab at a hospital. They work all hours. I'm aiming for nursing school so I can work weekends and stay home with the kids weekdays. Except the ironic thing is I will almost certainly have to put my kids in school full time so I can go to nursing school, so that eventually I can homeschool them again if everyone still wants to.

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

#4 of 6 Old 07-29-2006, 04:36 PM

I had a friend who managed a park and took her son with her (he was about 12 at the time, but she homeschooled the whole way through AND was a single mom). He'd kind of poke around with her occasionally, and then when she had things that she had to do, he would do his school work or play/investigate outside. I thought it was the perfect situation for them!

My neighbors are internet designers and they both stay home.

My mother was/is a real estate appraiser and the bulk of her time is at home. She does have to go out occasionally for the inspections, but the rest is from home. She made her own shedule. The classes to become one are not that intense or very long. Once she got things rolling for her own business, she made a very, very good living .

My brother-in-law is a masage therapist. He works from home and also does very well and finds it very fulfilling.

Other people who I've seen that work from home and/or have the flexibility to make their own schedule and spend the bulk of their time with their children are: accountants, financial advisors, writers, designers, people who do things over the internet- like teach on-line courses, artists...

Good luck!
#5 of 6 Old 07-29-2006, 06:03 PM

The obvious one to me is daycare!! Just taking on one child can be a great boost to your income and not require more work than you are already doing with your own kids!
#6 of 6 Old 07-29-2006, 09:37 PM

I do schoolage home daycare and earn a PT income working PT hours. Many home daycare providers who work FT hours with the younger kids are able to make FT incomes with great tax deductions. Doing schoolage only I'd be able to make FT income if I offered regular evening and weekend care also.

My DH is a web developer and would be able to work from home if we lived more than 60 miles from one of the company offices.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page