Food and Classism - Page 12 - Mothering Forums

#331 of 354 Old 12-02-2006, 04:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
definitely classism. funny how it's been cropping up in this thread like that....

:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#332 of 354 Old 12-02-2006, 04:47 PM
Dar

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Have any of you read the book "Nickel and Dimed"? The basic premise was a rich woman going off to live like the poor folks do, getting whatever jobs she could get without acknowledging her education or work expereince and supporting herself on what she earned. She would eat stuff like a chicken breast for lunch - the most expensive way to buy chicken, and the most expensive way to get protein. She wasn't eating like a poor person, she was eating like a rich person pretending to be poor. And she never *got it*.

I can see the food ads for Palm Beach online, and stuff at Publix and Albertson's is roughly the same as in my neighborhood. When we lived in northern California, some stuff was cheaper and some cost more, so we ate differently. You've also got Costco right there (I buy a lot of stuff in bulk at Costco, although I originally joined because I have no health insurance and I saved enough on eyecare to cover the membership cost). No, you probably can't walk into a store and buy a cheap avocado now, but you can get asparagus for $1.50 a pound or grean beans for half that, which is pretty darn good. So you eat those instead...

I think it's classist to assume that there's no way you could eat like us, actually. If you were poor and needed to, you could, and you would. It's nice that you don't have to, though...

Dar

fambedsingle1.gifSingle mom to Rain (1/93) , grad student, and world traveler earth.gif

#333 of 354 Old 12-02-2006, 04:58 PM

wait, which one of us were you addressing, dar...?

eta ~ yeah we had to pick apart Ehrenreich's (sp?) work in my cultural anthropology course...

and a comment in general about chicken breasts being the most expensive way to get protein: that assumes that a person is willing to eat beans / peas / lentils / rice, which isn't necessarily true if you're talking about children (( relating this back to a point made earlier in the thread ))... and last time i checked, there are chicken breasts on a whole chicken, which can be found for relatively cheap on sale in some markets.

i wish we could buy bulk around here. the nearest place to get anything in bulk is 50 miles away, which for us woudl mean taking the transit and spending an entire day down there, 8 hours waiting for the next bus (there are only two pick ups / drop offs there, one day a week) and then hauling everything back on the transit.

i think in general, and i do think this is a classist thing and i don't mean this for anyone specifically in this thread, but lots of people i've met off-line ~ many, many people underestimate how important having one's own vehicle is. if we lived in a city, we could get by on way less money then we need right now; but because we don't have money we can't afford to move, so we're stuck here paying every penny we get just to survive on the higher priced items that are available to us here. a vicious self-perpetuating cycle.
#334 of 354 Old 12-02-2006, 05:01 PM
Dar

Sorry... the post above yours. I figured you'd feel right at home with our veggie fried rice...

Dar

fambedsingle1.gifSingle mom to Rain (1/93) , grad student, and world traveler earth.gif

#335 of 354 Old 12-02-2006, 05:04 PM

yeah that's what i was thinking. (i love veggie fried rice actually. )
#336 of 354 Old 12-02-2006, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dar View Post

I think it's classist to assume that there's no way you could eat like us, actually. If you were poor and needed to, you could, and you would. It's nice that you don't have to, though...
Yes, it would be nice not to be thrifty. I grew up on food stamps. The hot lunch our school served once a week was the best meal I got for many years of my childhood.

By the way, who is the author of that book? I'd like to check it out.

I'm sorry I said anything, and I'm sorry if I came across as being eletist in how I feed my family. I'm going to bow out now, I feel myself getting way to emotionally invested in this. Happy shopping to all!

Frankenstein never scared me. Marsupials do. Because they're FAST.
#337 of 354 Old 12-02-2006, 05:24 PM

Barbara Ehrenreich, i might be spelling that wrong.

she also wrote some other books that are worth checking out.

your comment about hot lunch really hit home. my kids eat hot lunch every day. it has absolutely saved us. there's no way i could feed them if they didn't get free breakfast + lunch at their school.
#338 of 354 Old 12-02-2006, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aura_Kitten View Post

your comment about hot lunch really hit home. my kids eat hot lunch every day. it has absolutely saved us. there's no way i could feed them if they didn't get free breakfast + lunch at their school.
You're lucky they get it every day, we only got it on Friday's. I remember walking all the way home on days when we didn't have anything to bring. I remember my sisters and I sitting around dipping bread and butter pickles into mustard. That was lunch.

#339 of 354 Old 12-02-2006, 05:38 PM

yeah unfortunately around here that's still true for some kids (well, that they have to go hungry; they can't go home for lunch) because of the way the income guidelines and everything are, there are some kids whose parents can't afford to buy food and yet they don't qualify for assistance. (like all the people who are w/o health insurance because they don't qualify but can't afford to buy it for themselves, although i know that's not the topic of this particular thread.)

but i agree, the school food program has really improved (at least in this state; i don't know about other states...)
#340 of 354 Old 12-02-2006, 05:41 PM
Dar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aura_Kitten View Post

i think in general, and i do think this is a classist thing and i don't mean this for anyone specifically in this thread, but lots of people i've met off-line ~ many, many people underestimate how important having one's own vehicle is.
Oh, totally! We lived rural for 4 years - 5 miles from a mini-mart-type store, and 30 from a real grocery store - and it did change how we shopped and ate. Without a vehicle, I would have been really screwed. Even in cities, the food stores in poor neighborhoods almost always charge more than those in richer areas - part of it is that they're generally smaller, independent stores, and they don't have the power of bulk purchasing.

dar

#341 of 354 Old 12-02-2006, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stirringleaf View Post
hmmmm i was raised jewish and we ate it. interesting. was it just that family though? i am assuming you knew more jewish families that ate it? what on earth does it resemble in a "jewish" cuisine that would make jewish people in particular come up with this combo, i wonder. anyway i dont know if i agree with your assesment, since we ARE talking about food and prejudice.....
Yes, the only people I ever knew who ate spagetti and ketchup were jewish. If thats prejudice, well, call me guilty.
My dh once told a Brooklyn jew that who was brought up spagetti and ketchup that to my knowledge it was only jews that eat that, because, well, that was my experience, everyone I've known from any other culture or group never ate that combo, including my large non jewish family. My husband, raised jewish in brooklyn was raised on it, my kids eat it, but I never would. Marinara please!

Mom of 5 boys- 13, 10, 8, 2 : and newbie Aug. 24th, '09 . babywearing advocate . Cook, baker, homemaker, wife to a man with another woman's kidney (live altruistic, unknown donor).
#342 of 354 Old 12-02-2006, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thismama View Post
kraft dinner with ketchup is pretty common in this part of Canada too.
"kraft dinner" (not really sure what it is, mac and cheese, right?) is not plain spagetti.
Spaghetti and cottage cheese (just cooking the noodles and putting cold cottage on top) is another culturally jewish thing, that I never saw anywhere else.
Yeah, I must be prejudice.

Mom of 5 boys- 13, 10, 8, 2 : and newbie Aug. 24th, '09 . babywearing advocate . Cook, baker, homemaker, wife to a man with another woman's kidney (live altruistic, unknown donor).
#343 of 354 Old 12-02-2006, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BelovedBird View Post
"kraft dinner" (not really sure what it is, mac and cheese, right?) is not plain spagetti.
Spaghetti and cottage cheese (just cooking the noodles and putting cold cottage on top) is another culturally jewish thing, that I never saw anywhere else.
Yeah, KD is this boxed macaroni with cheezy powder that you mix in with milk and butter or margarine.

I've never heard of plain spaghetti with cottage cheese on it! Cool.
#344 of 354 Old 12-02-2006, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BelovedBird View Post

we eat plain spaghetti with cottage cheese...not jewsih here, but i thinki t is sort of an easy kugel recipe and i guess kugel is jewsih or is it only german?
#345 of 354 Old 12-02-2006, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thismama View Post

I've never heard of plain spaghetti with cottage cheese on it! Cool.
Lipton's chicken noodle soup with cottage cheese in it is good too. The cheese melts and gets all gooey and yummy with the noodles. My grandmother used to feed this to us every time we visited. Talk about nostalgia!

#346 of 354 Old 12-02-2006, 06:56 PM

Googling found me, that apparently Spaghetti and ketchup is also eaten by Irish people (But jews don't add the butter) and bachelors who run out of sauce. Most people think it is gross or some other nice adjective like that, (and I am almost willing to bet that spidergoolash's cousins are jewish - or maybe Irish).
Ok, I just found this funny maybe my claim DOES have something to do with prejudice. I found an anti jewish site (about "kosher conspiracy") that says:
Quote:
Kosher spaghetti ? What in the world do Jews know about spaghetti ?They put Ketchup on it, and eat it cold.
:LOL
And of course there is Eugene's line in Brighton Beach Memoirs.
Marc Silver's jewish MIL did it too.

And that brings so an end BB's amusing and educational (and possibly prejudiced) presentation of "What Google Taught Me About Jews, Spaghetti, and Ketchup, In Case My Own Lifetime Observations Were Not Enough."

BTW, there are 3 things I've come across, putting cottage cheese on spaghetti, sometimes with a little butter, called "spaghetti and cottage cheese", maybe as numom pointed out this is somehow related to kugel. Then there is "spaghetti and ketchup" and then there are those who add ketchup to their spaghetti and cottage cheese.

And with that,
Good night.

#347 of 354 Old 12-02-2006, 06:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
Yes, the only people I ever knew who ate spagetti and ketchup were jewish.
Mom does that. She's not Jewish--just a weirdo

*Not meant to imply that Jewish people are weird.
#348 of 354 Old 12-02-2006, 07:11 PM

I couldn't read all the zillions of posts here but I get annoyed when people act like if you don't shop exclusively at New Seasons or Whole Food that there is something wrong with you.
#349 of 354 Old 12-02-2006, 07:13 PM

Ok, I lied, I can't go to bed until I do Spaghetti, cottage cheese, and jews as well:

What to do with cottage cheese?
Quote:
An Eastern Eur. Jewish thing is to mix cooked noodles with cottage cheese, salt and pepper. My grandmother used to make it for my grandfather. It's savory kugel-esque.
A recipe
Jewish comfort food.
Now, really, goodnight.

#350 of 354 Old 12-02-2006, 07:41 PM

cottage cheese.....
.... plus. .... spaghetti.........

no. no my mind cannot process that.

please input another variable.
ex: "meatballs" or "parmesan"

#351 of 354 Old 12-03-2006, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by townmouse View Post
Wow.

I just realized I have waited my entire life to hear someone else say this.

As someone who has eaten beans and rice for poverty's sake, and enjoyed it, yet had people sneer and mock and waste food at my house (and then joke about how they'd have to stop at McDonalds on the way home).....

that hurt. It was our financial situation and our family ethics that made us proudly eat the way we do, and we were sharing what we had because we wanted to, and then to be treated like that. It has happened many times to me.

(its not my cooking, either vegetarian friends love my food)

But yes, we teach our children not to say anything negative about anybody else's lunch.
I am soooooooo behind in this thread, but what the heck is wrong with rice and beans for pete's sake?? And SHAME on the people that made you feel like crap! Let them go eat their McD's while you have wholesome food.
#352 of 354 Old 12-06-2006, 02:28 PM

actually Aura Kitten, you should try cottage cheese in spaghetti. after i had my third child, my grandma brought me spaghetti , with sauce, veggies and cottage cheese and really it mixes in like any other cheese and gives a good flavor. Try it and SEE!!!!

Happiness despite misery is a great victory, I think...

caffix.gifSingle coffee loving and making mom to fencing.gifds, age 12, hamster.jpg dd, age 10, dog2.gif dd, age 7, flowerkitty.giftigress, cat.gifquinn, hyena.gifblack cat, and wool.gif beatrice the spider. Yeeehawww!!!

#353 of 354 Old 12-06-2006, 02:51 PM

OOHHH well yeah, if you mix it in. i make my vegetarian lasagna with cottage cheese. but i was picturing like, a plate of spaghetti noodles topped with a mound of cold cottage cheese. WOW not appealing (to me anyway).
#354 of 354 Old 01-05-2007, 02:59 PM

oh ya aura kitty, i can see what you meant,LOL! not the most appetizing thing i can think of!!!

Happiness despite misery is a great victory, I think...

caffix.gifSingle coffee loving and making mom to fencing.gifds, age 12, hamster.jpg dd, age 10, dog2.gif dd, age 7, flowerkitty.giftigress, cat.gifquinn, hyena.gifblack cat, and wool.gif beatrice the spider. Yeeehawww!!!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page