Problem -- I'm totally stressed out over this! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-03-2006, 11:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
So....

I've been looking for childcare for my daughter (19 months), since I'm going to be going back to work now. I have avoided this for so long (been able to stay home with her, and trying to figure out WAHM ideas, etc). I've finally given up and decided to get a job outside of the home.

So, okay. I interview this other SAHM about childcare. She has 2 kids... a 6 year old, and a 6 month old.

When I met her, I noticed that she had what looked like a healing cold sore on her mouth. I didn't think too much of it at the time...

Well, my daughter started poking around in her diaper bag and pulled out a bottle of water. I asked if it was okay for her to be in there and/or to be playing with the bottle.... she said yes. My daughter put it in her mouth and eventually ended up drinking some of the water (the woman actually opened the bottle for her, I didn't protest at the time). I am pretty laid back about stuff like that, my daughter and I share stuff all the time. The bottle was not completely full when she pulled it out of the bag (so someone had been drinking it before her).

So..... after the woman leaves, it kind of hits me -- cold sore........ and does that always mean herpes? Did my daughter just get infected with herpes???

I have no idea if I should ask this woman if she has herpes, or how to approach this at all. If she DOES have herpes, I am SHOCKED that she would allow my daughter to play with that bottle. I don't know what to do. I don't want herpes. I don't want my baby to have herpes.

I'm freaking out. Is there some chance that it wasn't herpes? A friend has told me that all cold sores ARE herpes. Is there some chance my daughter didn't catch it??

I'm sick over this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-03-2006, 11:08 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
There are different kinds of herpes. Cold sores are usually Herpes simplex 1, rather than the other kind (2).

Not all cold sores are herpes though, but if it was on her lip...

It may be that she drinks carefully from water bottles such that her lip never touched it. I know I can do that, and keep water from flowing back in. I'd still not share the water bottle or a cup with anyone else though if I had a sore at the time.

Do you have a family doc or ped with whom you can discuss this and get up-to-date information?

There are OTC meds now that really do help heal them up quickly.

"What will you do once you know?"
Old 08-03-2006, 11:11 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've always heard that a cold sore is herpes too.

Do you know for sure that the lady was the one who had been drinking out of the bottle first? I occasionally have water bottles in my diaper bag that my dd's drink out of, but I don't. (Try to think positive.)

If you're really worried, you might want to check with your ped. during your next well visit. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you guys - I'd be pretty upset too.
Old 08-03-2006, 11:11 PM
Banned

Gross, you let your daughter drink after a total stranger? I'd be worried about more than a cold sore.
Old 08-03-2006, 11:18 PM - Thread Starter

It was stupid of me to let her play with the water bottle (and drink out of it) and I'll never do it again. I guess I just felt too comfortable and let it happen.

We don't have a pediatrician right now, so I'll have to find one. DD's insurance is kind of all messed up, but I THINK it would be covered.... ugh, I hope so.

Should I confront the woman about this?? I wouldn't even know how to say it! And I feel like..... I don't know, how could I let this woman watch my child, when she allowed her to drink from a water bottle that she had been drinking from?

The baby was 6 months old, so the water bottle was not for her. Maybe it was for her son, but he wasn't even with her. I just really really really don't know.
Old 08-03-2006, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Sweeties1Angel
Gross, you let your daughter drink after a total stranger? I'd be worried about more than a cold sore.
Nice ...
Old 08-03-2006, 11:55 PM

mama i am sorry you are having to worry about this ... I would ask her about it. i could be many things. plus i think by time they are scabbed over they are no longer contageous(Sp?)
Old 08-03-2006, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Sweeties1Angel
She obviously feels bad about this. No need to rub it in:

The only advice I have is to maybe make a phone call to a ped about this.
Old 08-04-2006, 12:00 AM - Thread Starter

I'll look around for a pediatrician tomorrow.

I feel so stupid that this happened.
Old 08-04-2006, 12:11 AM

not all cold sores are herpes, but even if it is herpes, 90% of the population gets it at some time. It will not seriously harm her. A bit gross, of course, but with a healthy immune system a common herpes virus will just lurk around and not even cause the sore. That's why they crop up on people when they're sick or stressed. I would be icked out too, but not worried.

DD1 7/13/05 DD2 9/20/10
Old 08-04-2006, 12:20 AM - Thread Starter

So, I probably already have herpes anyway?
Old 08-04-2006, 12:22 AM

This would be better in Health and Healing.

User Tag List