Signs & Symptoms of a Midlife Crisis - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 36 Old 08-07-2006, 10:33 AM
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My story is similar very VERY similar to Shannons.

When my baby started Kindergarten (half-day,) I took *one* University class, in the Spring semester, I took two.

I took seven CLEPS and in the spring, I applied to be a full time student and am presently a Biology major.

I have loved being a SAHM for my eight children, but, in the end, I don't have anything I could call my own, my identity was too strongly associated with being a full time mom.

I want to be a doctor or a PA. I'm taking challenging classes and have a 3.7 GPA.

I'll be taking the MCATs next year I guess the same time as Shannon.

Apparently, this is a fairly normal way for women to manifest midlife much less destructive than male cars and younger women.

I love my husband and love my family and wouldn't do anything to hurt them, I'm planning my schooling so Julianna doesn't suffer from it. I'm taking three years to graduate, She would be a teenager by the time I went into residency (a geriatric resident : ) If I do the PA route, there is no residency and I could work fewer hours, I'm still up in the air.

I think we have a unique opportunity to redifine midlife and lifespan in general. Our great grandparents only lived to be 45, we can expect to live well inot our 80's, we can live two lifetims, isn't that *exciting*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 36 Old 08-07-2006, 01:44 PM

The summer I turned 40, I found myself with this incredible nostalgia for the last man I had before I met my husband. The relationship I had with that person was just a fling, pretty much completely about sex, and ended with no hard feelings on either side (we were both working somewhere for the summer and knew it would end when we went back to our regular lives in different cities). I think because it was like that, I had very fond memories of that time. Fortunately or unfortunately, depending on how you look at it, this person is an actor with a bit of a cult following and so has a fan website. So I was able to find out what he was doing now, see current pictures of him (still good looking, 20 years later!), etc. It's not like I wanted to be with him again, but I daydreamed about running into him somewhere, looking fabulous of course. Needless to say, I never told my husband any of this and was careful to erase the history and cookies from the computer whenever I visited the website. (I still do check it out once in a while.)

I wouldn't call it a crisis. But it was definitely something different for me.
#33 of 36 Old 08-07-2006, 02:46 PM

I'm turning 36 this year and having a restless patch right now. I guess you could call it a midlife crisis. But I'm exercising and eating better already so I don't think that's gonna cure it (referring to the "treatment" listed on the link posted above).

Doing lots of questioning and thinking and finding a balance b/t moving into my own interests without endangering my family relationships.
#34 of 36 Old 08-07-2006, 03:06 PM

My dh is going through this right now. It sucks. He is miserably unhappy in his work. We just moved a year ago, and I'm finally feeling more settled with my work and the kids' routines. I don't want to move again. We live in a parsonage, so any job change for dh means that we will move.

I know that dh needs to do *something* to help his state of mind. His unhappiness spills out onto every aspect of our existance. Dh also hates change. Dilemma, huh??
#35 of 36 Old 08-07-2006, 03:24 PM

My sister...who is 38 (Im 30) told me that women tend to go through a bit of an upheaval in their late 30's. Our mom did...she started drinking a lot, had an affair, and abandoned all of us. My sister says she is seeing her friends...now that the kids are all in school...starting to work out, dressing not so "mom"ish and one or two are starting affairs. On one hand, Im very glad she told me this, so I can prepare myself and change things in my life....but at the same time, it really freaks me out.
#36 of 36 Old 08-07-2006, 03:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraBoo
But I'm exercising and eating better already so I don't think that's gonna cure it (referring to the "treatment" listed on the link posted above).
Yeah, I found that section unhelpful too. I think it takes a more Christiane Northrup type of approach rather than a Western one. Also, I wonder if this is specifically a Euro/American thing or does it happen to some effect in every culture?

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page