I-Pass toll question (IL) - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 26 Old 08-06-2006, 10:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Let's say you've driven through the I-Pass lane a handfull of times without having the I-Pass device and didn't call the 1800 number to fess up. What do you think will happen?
#2 of 26 Old 08-06-2006, 10:37 PM

You'll probably get a bill in the mail and maybe a fine like my old roommate did. I'm not sure if it depends on each one, though.
#3 of 26 Old 08-06-2006, 10:39 PM

I'm guessing nothing, unless you did it in front of some sort of law enforcement person, or there's a camera. With the cop, I would expect immediate negative reinforcement. If there's a camera, I'm guessing you'd get a ticket in the mail along with a copy of the photo of your car, you lawbreaker you ("you" in this case being the same "you" that's running the tolls).
#4 of 26 Old 08-06-2006, 10:43 PM
Banned

They have cameras there that capture your liscence plate number. Then, they send the bill + the fine, to whoever the car is registered to. My parents had an ezpass, but the velcro had melted off the glass, so my dad was holding it up to be read. He dropped it as he was going through. Then ended up getting a fine in the mail for $250. Yes, they still had to pay it, even though they have the EZPass.
#5 of 26 Old 08-06-2006, 11:16 PM - Thread Starter

A fine! Ack!
#6 of 26 Old 08-06-2006, 11:21 PM

Call them, tell them you thought it was in the car, but it wasn't. They should let you off with only paying the toll.

A little "did you know.." about the Ipass. If you don't have all of the license plates to all the cars you drive they will fine you. The pass follows the plates, not you. Which seems silly to me, but that's the rule. My dad got $500 in fines when dh was driving his car. The dropped it when we explained that it was in the car, being driven by dh. They said you have to register the plates of any car you might use it with.
#7 of 26 Old 08-06-2006, 11:30 PM

They will send you a bill. You have to pay the toll plus a fine for each time you go through. It may take a little time-but it will come. I think they wait until a certain amount of time has passed and then send you one big bill.

Unfortunately, I have been there, done that!

A friend got a bill for a few thousand dollars. She went through it both to and from work for a while. Man, was her DH pissed!

Pamstillheart.gif Cliffguitar.gif Malachi 5/08 bouncy.gif   Judah 5/10 jog.gif  Eden 8/12 babygirl.gif Asher 8/12 babyboy.gif

You can't get a cup of tea big enough or a book long enough to suit me. ~CS Lewis

#8 of 26 Old 08-06-2006, 11:36 PM

You might want to look into getting the I-pass mama. Errr, whomever is running through the toll without the pass might want to look into getting the pass.

Zen doula-mama to my spirited DS1 (2/03), my CHD (TAPVR) warrior DS2 (6/07) & a gentle baby girl (8/09)
#9 of 26 Old 08-07-2006, 12:04 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pammysue
A friend got a bill for a few thousand dollars. She went through it both to and from work for a while. Man, was her DH pissed!
Chicagoland, right? Oh shit.
#10 of 26 Old 08-07-2006, 01:33 AM

What what what?????????

Please, for those of us uninformed (and obviously in another state) - what is an I-Pass lane, and what kind of device must you have in your car?

In other words, what?
#11 of 26 Old 08-07-2006, 01:38 AM
Banned

In my area, it's called an EZPass. Basically, it's a device you attach near your rearview mirror, which is scanned when you go through the "EZPass lane". They then bill you every few months for the tolls you went through. It's the quick lane. While everybody else is waiting in line, collecting their change, and throwing it out the window, or handing it to a person, those with EZPass are gliding right through.
#12 of 26 Old 08-07-2006, 01:41 AM

Oh, interesting. Thanks for the info.
#13 of 26 Old 08-07-2006, 02:23 AM

It used to be, once you racked up $150, they sent you a bill with a "gentle reminder" to get an I-Pass. I don't know how long they wait, now.

Oh, I just saw PammySue's post. I hope it's not $1,000 or more now. :
#14 of 26 Old 08-07-2006, 06:47 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
They will send a bill - my sister has an IPass and something was wrong with the transponder, but she was able to get out of the ticket since she sent back the broken transponder and thet confirmed her story.
Actually you do not have to register all of your license plate numbers with IPass but if you do and the transponder doesn't work while you are in one of your registered cars they can deduct the toll from your account after the fact.
I'd fess up - those fines can get pretty pricey!
#15 of 26 Old 08-07-2006, 07:49 AM

My husband worked near Chicago for a few months and went through the IPass lanes a few times completely by accident, because the freeways were so torn up, and the signs were actually wrong, and he couldn't figure out which lane was which. We don't have any device or whatever you need. There were cameras. We keep waiting for a ticket or something in the mail, but so far nothing has happened, and this was in April.
#16 of 26 Old 08-07-2006, 08:03 AM

My dad has the Ipass and he says that you get a certain number of freebies and then they send you a bill and fine.

Mama to two loqacious and bouncy boys.
#17 of 26 Old 08-07-2006, 08:40 AM - Thread Starter

We'll I did it somewhere between 5 and 8 times. Plus, my plates are out of state, so maybe IL won't charge me.

*crosses fingers*

I will be a good girl and pay tolls from now on.
#18 of 26 Old 08-07-2006, 09:39 AM

If you're doing it that often, might be worth it to get the I-Pass. Some tolls are half as expensive, and I think you get the initial $10 fee back when you're done with the thing. What with all the open road tolling that's opening up now, it makes sense.

Can't give up actin' tough, it's all that I'm made of. Can't scrape together quite enough to ride the bus to the outskirts of the fact that I need love. ~ Neko Case

#19 of 26 Old 08-07-2006, 09:48 AM

Our IP was connected to a card that we no longer had, but I didn't know it. We used it several times before realizing it. We got a notice, but no fine, no bill. This was in Chicagoland.

Oh, and BECAUSE I thought our IP was working I tried going through the gate and BROKE it. I reported myself and they said, "No problem." (DH said maybe it's just up by magnets.) I was never fined.

2/02, 4/05, 2/07, 11/09, and EDD 12/25/11 wave.gif

#20 of 26 Old 08-07-2006, 09:55 AM - Thread Starter

Yeah, maybe I should get it before I'm hit with a bizzillion dollar fine.
#21 of 26 Old 08-07-2006, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizelenius
Oh, and BECAUSE I thought our IP was working I tried going through the gate and BROKE it.
Heh - I did that - I was so used to the no-gate I-Pass Lanes that when I got into a lane with a gate I just drove on through. Smacked it all to heck. The kids were so shocked! I looked on the IDOT website and couldn't figure out how to report myself, so I just let it go.

Can't give up actin' tough, it's all that I'm made of. Can't scrape together quite enough to ride the bus to the outskirts of the fact that I need love. ~ Neko Case

#22 of 26 Old 08-07-2006, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penelope
If you're doing it that often, might be worth it to get the I-Pass. Some tolls are half as expensive, and I think you get the initial $10 fee back when you're done with the thing. What with all the open road tolling that's opening up now, it makes sense.

I think in Illinois the fee for the I-pass is $50. I feel that is a huge amount of money that the state basically gets to keep and earn interest on forever if you never turn in your I-pass. The state is making an incredible amount of money on those things and $50 bucks (per I-pass, right) is insane and too expensive for some families. It seems highly unfair that those that can't afford to give the state $50 have to then pay double the toll, the state is taking advantage of poor people (surprising I know ) We live in Wisconsin, but all our family live in Illinois. We drive out of our way not to pay the tolls, even though it takes a bit longer- it's a principle kind of thing.

Mama to three wonderful boys and a fabulous baby girl.
My heartfelt thanks to all those that have donated milk to others; you are amazing
#23 of 26 Old 08-07-2006, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Heh - I did that - I was so used to the no-gate I-Pass Lanes that when I got into a lane with a gate I just drove on through. Smacked it all to heck. The kids were so shocked! I looked on the IDOT website and couldn't figure out how to report myself, so I just let it go.
I know-- I was so stunned myself!!!! (And felt like a DORK.) I went to the next toll place and went into the little building (not the booth). I found someone there and told them. I'm guessing it happens more often than we'd realize!

#24 of 26 Old 08-07-2006, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCMoulton
They will send a bill - my sister has an IPass and something was wrong with the transponder, but she was able to get out of the ticket since she sent back the broken transponder and thet confirmed her story.
Actually you do not have to register all of your license plate numbers with IPass but if you do and the transponder doesn't work while you are in one of your registered cars they can deduct the toll from your account after the fact.
I'd fess up - those fines can get pretty pricey!
My experience and what I've heard from someone who works for them is that just recently, in the last 6 months or so is that they do. What I heard was that a lot of people were stealing them so in order to cut down on fraud that was the plan.

From the Ipass website, Can I use my I-PASS in more than one vehicle?

http://www. illinoistollway.com/portal/page?_pageid=57,1298961,57_1299022:57_1299148&_dad =portal&_schema=PORTAL#ten

"Yes, as long as the vehicle type is the same. You must notify us of the license plate, make, model, color and year of the additional vehicle(s). You can do this through our Online Account Management feature or you can call 1-800-UCI-PASS. The unit must be mounted properly.

Can I use I-PASS in a rental car?

While it is not ideal to hold up a transponder instead of mounting it when using a rental car, it should work as long as the customer keeps his account in good standing and holds the transponder up against the glass in the proper location a few inches below the rearview mirror, as outlined in the mounting instructions that come with the transponder, at least 100 feet before the toll plaza. The customer can register the rental car license plate on his account temporarily through the Tollway's Online Account Management function at www.getipass.com, but then should remove the plate from his account after returning the vehicle."
#25 of 26 Old 08-07-2006, 11:36 AM

It costs $50, but $10 is for the transponder and $40 is in prepaid tolls. So it isn't cheap, but if you drive the tollways often enough it would be a better option than paying each toll in cash.

http://www.illinoistollway.com/porta..._schema=PORTAL

If you would rather pay more in gas money than in tolls, that's totally your option. Operating a car is expensive, no doubt about it. But if the OP is going through the tolls without paying often enough that she's worried about getting caught and paying fines, it might make sense to get one. It's surely going to be less than accumulated tolls plus fines.

#26 of 26 Old 08-07-2006, 01:40 PM

Quote:
It costs $50, but $10 is for the transponder and $40 is in prepaid tolls. So it isn't cheap, but if you drive the tollways often enough it would be a better option than paying each toll in cash.
For me that $10 is SO worth it, too, when I fly through the I-Pass lanes. This open road tolling is a dream come true, esp. now that we live in the 'burbs.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page