Which refrigerator do you own? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-06-2006, 11:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yay, i am so excited. we are getting a fridge!!
I have never had a new one. always the old used kind and this is something i've been dreaming about.

I thought I'd see who has one they like a lot. This of course has to be in the reasonable price range. Cant do the 3 thousand dollar fridge Looking at the side/side model as well.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2006, 12:00 AM

My parents had one that had a freezer drawer at the bottom, they loved it.

My fridges are new but very basic

I want an ice cube maker IMO its a must

Happy shopping
Old 08-07-2006, 12:00 AM
Banned

Oh, don't get one of those side by side models! They're horrid! I know people who've had them, and they've HATED them!

If I were to get a new fridge, I'd want a wardrobe style fridge, with the freezer on the bottom.
Old 08-07-2006, 12:01 AM

freezer on the bottom is the way to go.

Side by side is very cramped and everything's hard to see.
Old 08-07-2006, 12:10 AM

We have one with a freezer on top but if I was shopping I would get on with the freezer on the bottom. No side by side, yuck.
Old 08-07-2006, 12:36 AM

we have a stainless steel kitchenaid (freezer on top). i like it.

i HATE side by side models. way too much freezer space and way too little fridge space. i am not a freezer food person.
Old 08-07-2006, 12:40 AM

We just bought our first fridge too!!! The house we bought in Wisconsin doesn't come with one so we had no choice. We were going to get the Kenmore Trio, but when I went to look at it I didn't like the way the seals rubbed against each other on the french doors.

I ended up getting the stainless steel Elite with the bottom freezer instead. I can't wait to get it to our new house
Old 08-07-2006, 12:43 AM

I love side by side. I HATE top freezer- not enough freezer space. I'd consider the double drawer fridge with freezer on bottom.

-Angela
Old 08-07-2006, 12:53 AM - Thread Starter

wow, so many say side/side is yuck. Maybe it's your stand-point so-to-speak.
I am really tiny, short, 5'1, petite. so, when i go into my IL's freezer on the bottom fridge it seems kinda high and deep and things arent seen (to me)
and i really dont like the idea of bending over into the freezer
Maybe it's because i like being able to stick my head into it to cool off

Thankyou all for your opinions, tho-
Keep 'em coming....
Old 08-07-2006, 12:57 AM

I *love* side-by-sides, HATE freezer on the top or freezer on the bottom models. We just got a nice new LG fridge, Model : LRSC26925. Here is a link, hope it works:

http://us.lge.com/products/model/det...RSC26925.jhtml

Anywho, what I like about it is even though it is a side-by-side it can fit a frozen pizza flat and the fridge easily accomodates an open bottle of wine. You can fold one of the shelves down to fit taller items without having to rearrange everything.

mommy to ds 11/05, dd1 01/08, and dd2 01/10!
Old 08-07-2006, 01:06 AM

I love side-by-sides too - that's what we have (it's a Kenmore something-or-other w/ice maker & water dispenser in the front). It's plenty roomy both in the fridge & freezer. I was so thrilled to finally get away from the freezer on top deal like I always had in apartment living (we bought this for our first house). I wouldn't say my fridge is THE one to get - we got the best we could afford at the time - but honestly I have no complaints.

Mama to four remarkable kiddos, all born at home.
Old 08-07-2006, 01:21 AM

I love my LG bottom freezer model. We got it at Best Buy. Normally $699 but it was the floor model, so instant discount there, and then it had a couple dents (who cares?!) so they took off another hundred bucks. We walked away with it for less than $500, I think. We've had it for almost two years and it still makes me happy every time I open it.

High-tech Hippie Mama to Dd1 (9/22/06), Dd2 (2/25/10) and Ds (05/27/2013). I eat Clean, cloth diaper, and spend way too much time online.

Old 08-07-2006, 02:00 AM

We just bought a new one as well This is the one we have. The stainless steel model. http://www.whirlpool.com/catalog/pro...at=96&prod=661 We also have the matching upright freezer.
Old 08-07-2006, 10:37 AM
Banned

I have a basic Kenmore, but it is my first Energy Star.

Please, please, please, consider getting an Energy Star appliance.

Every little move like this will decrease the problem of global warming. It's little actions like buying the most energy efficient appliance you can afford.

Off my soapbox.
Old 08-07-2006, 11:34 AM

We have an Amana something, it's a bottom freezer, and like others have said, we love it. It only has the single fridge door, when you went to the double door you lost sq ft in the fridge, and we wanted the biggest one that would fit

Mom to ds 9 dd 7 : and dd 3/08 : if I can I go to
Old 08-07-2006, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eman'smom
We have an Amana something, it's a bottom freezer, and like others have said, we love it. It only has the single fridge door, when you went to the double door you lost sq ft in the fridge, and we wanted the biggest one that would fit
The Trio and the bottom freezer model ... the guy said they both had the same sqft inside the fridge but on the door you got a little bit more space on the single door model. I did LOVE LOVE LOVE the Trio though. But, we couldn't fit the larger size in the space we will have and the size we would have had to get ... 22.4???... the seals were just done in a way where they pulled each other and I could even tell they wouldn't hold up. The larger size was made differently where the seals are. I would have loved to get the Trio if it wasn't for that though.
Old 08-07-2006, 11:57 AM

My brand new fridge (just delivered on Friday) is a top-freezer, basic Kenmore. No icemaker (they just break annually IME anyway and take up freezer space,) no water/ice in the door, just basic, but I love it. And it's an EnergyStar, as is my new freezer in the basement.

crafty mama to Chloe and Emma (10/08) and Piper
emergency medicine PA and single mother by choice
Old 08-07-2006, 12:04 PM

We have a Kenmore freezer on the bottom model and I just love it. They are more energy effecient too, or so I was told. It's also energy star rated. I am only 5ft tall and have no problem reaching the top shelf of the fridge. The fridge part is very big you can fit a large pizza box inside no problem.

It looks just like this, but ours is black:

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...seBVCookie=Yes

If I were buying one now, I get a french door model, they look like a side by side, both doors open out, but the inside is like a regular fridge. I think it's called the Trio. Gorgeous but much more expensive.
Old 08-07-2006, 12:07 PM

I have a very basic GE but it IS an Energy Saver. It's made quite a difference in my electric bill AND I'm doing my share to help the environment. What I like about this one is that the door shelves are adjustable so I can play with the height of them as needed.
Old 08-07-2006, 12:37 PM

Is it sad that I don't know what it is? We got it from a place that refurbishes them or gets scratch&dents from the manufacturers. Its a side by side in stainless and black.

Jen, Mom to DS (8) , DD (5) & Alli
(1-04) (8-09)
Old 08-07-2006, 01:46 PM - Thread Starter

Hey! thanks for all the personal recommendations!

I am only looking at the Energy star fridges

And again on the lower freezer model: It might be that i am soo used to having to get down there in these old apt style models and search for what i'm needing so much that the seemingly higher search doesnt appeal to me.
<< It could have been my MIL's crammed fridge too >>
I guess i like the abilitly to organize what is in there by shelves as would seem more doable with side/side.
Old 08-07-2006, 02:53 PM

We have an Amana bottom-freezer fridge and I LOVE it. The freezer has a door, not a drawer. It does have an ice maker but I opted not to get a water dispenser and I haven't regretted that.

may my heart always be open to little birds who are the secrets of living whatever they sing is better than to know  - e.e. cummings
Old 08-07-2006, 03:09 PM

We have a side-by-side and like it. I'm sure I would like whatever refrigerator we have, though, I don't think I'm all that picky. That said, we have a ridiculously expensive one ($2k) because we bought it through the builder for convienence purposes. It is a GE Profile. I hope it's energy star. I wasn't thinking about that at the time (3 years ago), but it would certainly be a big factor in my decision now. I'm not sure I would get the filtered water/ice in thr door, either, if we were doing it again. We were doing fine with our Brita pitchers before.

Here's some info from Mr. Electricity:

Quote:
Get a top-freezer model. Side-by-side models use about 55% more energy than those with the freezer on top. Bottom freezers are also less efficient than top freezers. (source: Cursory observation of EnergyStar tables)

An August 2002 Consumer Reports article showed the following:

Side by Side, 680 kWh/yr.
Bottom Freezer; 522kWh/yr.
Top Freezer, 468 kWh/yr.
Skip the ice maker and dispenser. Automatic icemakers and through-the-door dispensers increase energy use by 14-20% (and the purchase price by $75-250).
Old 08-07-2006, 04:00 PM

We have a Whirlpool 22 cu ft basic fridge(freezer on top) We had to get a smaller one since our last apt's pantry had a slanted roof and that's the biggest one that would fit. We're planning on getting a bigger one this coming winter as I'm always complaining there's not enough room in the fridge. It does have an ice maker but we've never used it. I think we'll get a side by side.... I've looked at the ones with the freezer on the bottom but it just seems to me that it would be a jumbled mess in the drawer that I'ld have to sift through to find what I want... am I missing the appeal of those?

Maaaammaa!! to A 2/99 M 7/00 J 10/04 B 4/07 S 3/09
Old 08-07-2006, 04:13 PM

I'm looking forward to the bottom freezer because I am in the freezer a lot less than the fridge so I'd rather bend down to look in there than bend down to look in crisper drawers. I'm always getting annoyed that I have to practically sit on the floor to see what is on the bottom shelf.

I wasn't opposed to a side by side as long as I could get one that was wide enough. I didn't want to have to put pizza boxes at an angle. But, to get one wide enough... I also had to get one taller and I only had 68in space height wise to use. I think the one I got is like 67 and 7/8ths hehe.
Old 08-07-2006, 04:15 PM

It's true that it's quite difficult to fit pizza boxes in our side-by-side freezer. Possible, but difficult.

We haven't bought a frozen pizza in probably the last 2 years at least, though, so it's hasn't really been a problem for us.
Old 08-07-2006, 04:35 PM

The only reason I like the side-by-side is the ice maker. I know its the absolute most lazy reason but I like instant crushed ice. Sue me.

Jen, Mom to DS (8) , DD (5) & Alli
(1-04) (8-09)
Old 08-07-2006, 04:55 PM

We have side by side, and I hate it. We don't have pizza box problems, but we have watermelon problems, large-trays-of-stuff-when-entertaining problems, and generally not enough room.

A refrigerator repairman was telling me about the problems with side by sides, particularly one brand (I forget which). The line from the defroster craps up, the defrost-water-pan overflows, and you get water all over the floor...or something to that effect ... the end result was definitely water all over the floor and it was something to do with the tube for the frostfree feature. In general, he thought side by sides were a pitb, and would go with freezer on top or bottom.

The one we currently have doesn't have an ice maker, so there's more room in the freezer. The kids think it's really amazing that we put water in trays to make ice cubes -- we've had ice makers as long as they've been around, so the ice cube trays seem absolutely magic to them.

(They also like the front load washer with the clear door so we can watch the clothing spin around. We are easily entertained by our appliances.)
Old 08-07-2006, 05:14 PM
Banned

We have a large family and we have people over a lot, if I didn't have the ice maker, I'd by buying a bag of ice every other day. Literally.
Old 08-07-2006, 05:57 PM

well does the bottom freezer ones have compartments for different things or is it just one big drawer? I've never really looked at them before.

Maaaammaa!! to A 2/99 M 7/00 J 10/04 B 4/07 S 3/09

User Tag List