Do you allow your DC to join in your coffee Klatch? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
1  2
Talk Amongst Ourselves > Do you allow your DC to join in your coffee Klatch?
DebraBaker's Avatar DebraBaker 12:42 PM 08-08-2006
I go to the same school with my oldest um, we have coffee together.

My 14yo son drinks coffee every morning. He's 5'11", so I don't think he is stunting his growth.

Verity's Avatar Verity 01:06 PM 08-08-2006
My 12-year-old started drinking mochas/frappuccinos this year. He still doesn't like regular coffee. (I drink mine black.) I get his half caf.

My dds (8 and 5) still don't like the taste of even a mocha. (They've tried just a sip once or twice.)
LittleOne03's Avatar LittleOne03 01:08 PM 08-08-2006
Occasionally, on Saturday mornings (our Sabbath), I will let my kids have a mug with milk, enough coffee to where you can see the color (1/2 regular, 1/2 decaf), and some stevia. They both ADORE it! It's for sure not an everyday treat, but I figure a tbsp of coffee once a month isn't going to hurt them.
StrawberryFields's Avatar StrawberryFields 01:26 PM 08-08-2006
Ds is only 8 months so, not yet but when he is older I am sure I will let him drink coffee if he wants. My mom let us drink coffee and we weren't really interested in more than just a sip until we were older anyway. Dh and I drink our coffee black so he wouldn't be getting heapfuls of sugar or anything.

Speaking of coffee, I need to start a pot... wouldn't it be grand if coffee actually made itself in the morning and it was all ready for you when you got up??
sparkprincess's Avatar sparkprincess 01:38 PM 08-08-2006
Don't make it a regular thing to give our 2 year old coffee, but if he wants a sip of mine I don't mind. My mom thinks that's horrible, but doesn't think that soda is a big deal which makes no sense to me whatsoever!
mmace's Avatar mmace 01:47 PM 08-08-2006
My older two are 12 and 8, and enjoy cappuccino on the rare occassions that I buy it - just weak gas station stuff, the Starbucks stuff is two strong for me! My oldest has had her own once or twice, but mostly it's just sips of mine for both of them. Never let the 3 year old try it yet - I told her she's "too little" and she hasn't complained.
Tummy's Avatar Tummy 02:11 PM 08-08-2006
I drank coffee my entire preg with my 20 mo old.. she LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVES coffee!!!

I once was told by a dr that if your child has been DX with ADD/ADHD (which for the record I do NOT believe in!!!) instead of giving them the RX for this DX to give them a cup of strong coffee..

Something about if they become calm and steady they are ADD/ADHD, but if they speed up and go bonkers (for lack of better words) they are NOT ADD/ADHD.
The coffee works just as the RXs would.. which makes a bit of sense.. RX for this wacky DX is speed.. coffee is a sort of speed.

Anyone else hear this before.??
RubyV's Avatar RubyV 02:25 PM 08-08-2006
My dd loves what she calls "Hai tee". Which is hot (decaf) Chai with lots of soy milk. She says it's mmmmm, yu mmy yummy.
momto l&a's Avatar momto l&a 02:39 PM 08-08-2006
My kids love coffee, we drink organic cold brew.

They also love tea.

I am going to make carmel frapachinos today (sp?) : :
1xmom's Avatar 1xmom 02:49 PM 08-08-2006
The thought to give my dd (6 yrs old) coffee has never crossed my mine. But I only drink coffee at home on the weekends. She does like tea though.
memiles's Avatar memiles 02:54 PM 08-08-2006
My dd adores sips of my iced americanos. It's a good grocery store distraction. I often wonder if another MDC mama is going to see and start a grocery store thread about me.:
Mylittlevowels's Avatar Mylittlevowels 03:06 PM 08-08-2006
I don't have a problem with it, but we don't drink coffee. I loooooooooove it, but can't drink it very often for medical issues...dh is strongly anti-coffee. He's so weird, he goes on these rants about Tim Hortons and how no one can live without their coffee and how he doesn't need substances to wake up in the morning... Just and smile at daddy, kids...
My mother wouldn't allow me coffee until I was 13, and then she made this big deal of pouring me a cup of coffee on the morning of my birthday. I drank it and suffered with acid reflux the whole day : I never drink coffee in the morning, for some reason it only upsets my stomach then
I like my tea :
crissei's Avatar crissei 03:08 PM 08-08-2006
I think I'll try to keep coffee away from DS for as long as possible.

I started drinking coffee about 3-4 times a week when I was 10. My brothers and my sister don't care for it. I know it may be totally untrue but, I can't help believing in the growth-stunting theory.
Everyone in my family is 5' 10" or over.
I'm 5' 2"
Besides, DS is only 29" at 19 months. He needs every millimeter he can get!
Awaken's Avatar Awaken 03:10 PM 08-08-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrawberryFields
Speaking of coffee, I need to start a pot... wouldn't it be grand if coffee actually made itself in the morning and it was all ready for you when you got up??
LOL, sometimes when I'm really on the ball I will get the coffee ready the night before so in the am all I have to do is hit grind and it's ready! Anything to get to the coffee sooner!!!!

I let my 3.5 yr old ds taste it when he asks. He doesn't even know what soda is, I don't think, but of course he sees us with coffee and he wants to try everyting we have. We drink 1/2 decaf so I doubt if a few sips would harm him. If he begs for his own mug I fill it mostly w/ soymilk and add a little coffee.

Actually I thought by letting him taste it he'd discover that it was too bitter or that he hated it, but he really does seem to like it (same with salt and vinegar potato chips : )
crissei's Avatar crissei 03:12 PM 08-08-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tummy
I drank coffee my entire preg with my 20 mo old.. she LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVES coffee!!!

I once was told by a dr that if your child has been DX with ADD/ADHD (which for the record I do NOT believe in!!!) instead of giving them the RX for this DX to give them a cup of strong coffee..

Something about if they become calm and steady they are ADD/ADHD, but if they speed up and go bonkers (for lack of better words) they are NOT ADD/ADHD.
The coffee works just as the RXs would.. which makes a bit of sense.. RX for this wacky DX is speed.. coffee is a sort of speed.

Anyone else hear this before.??
Yeah, my MIL was just telling me about that last week.
Zaxmama's Avatar Zaxmama 03:30 PM 08-08-2006
Ironically, this past sunday I made myself and DH a cup of coffee and DS asked for some so I made him a tiny cup and I remarked to DH that I feel weird about it but its better then soda..(which FTR DS hates soda!!! yippy!!)
The first time he ever had coffee we had gone out for breakfast and he must have been going through a growth spurt, because he ate his entire breakfast and then 3/4 of mine, plus my entire glass of juice, a glass of water and then he picked up my coffee and started to chug... and he put down the mug wiped his mouth and said "MMMMMMMMMMMMmmmmmm toffee dood mama" So I give it to his pretty much whenever he requests it .... which is not very often since we are not big coffee drinkers.
moondiapers's Avatar moondiapers 04:16 PM 08-08-2006
My dd has ADD and she drinks coffee in the morning. It gets her through the first half of the day without meds. When we were homeschooling this was great, and the private school she went to last year allowed her to have coffee in her thermos for lunch time. It was nice to not need meds. She really can't go stimulant free and still concentrate on Math or Reading.
Sharlla's Avatar Sharlla 04:20 PM 08-08-2006
I wouldn't care, but DS hasn't shown any kind of interest in drinking coffee. I only drink it during the colder months.
Tummy's Avatar Tummy 10:38 PM 08-08-2006
Is there any difference in giving your child caf-tea and caf-coffee?
wende's Avatar wende 01:18 AM 08-09-2006
Yes, absolutely. My boys love coffee, my girls can't stand it though. My 7yo ds likes white chocolate mochas from Starbucks but will also drink whatever coffee we make in the morning. My 3yo likes all coffee. I think coffee is good for them
1  2

Up