Tattoo covering - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 25 Old 08-14-2006, 01:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Im in a wedding and I have some extremely visable tattoos. The dress is sleeveless of course.

Has anyone had to cover theirs and what if anything did you use and could you direct me to something not very expensive and will not wipe off at a simple touch.

Many thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 25 Old 08-14-2006, 01:52 PM

I have never had the problem myself, but my dc was in a play last summer and one of the actors (who had to wear a sleeveless tunic) had a rather large red heart on his arm. He was able to cover it with stage makeup very successfully. I don't know how well it would have worked at closer range, and I also don't know how touch-resistant it is. But at least it's a start for you.

Good luck and have fun!
#3 of 25 Old 08-14-2006, 02:06 PM
Banned

Try Googleing "tatoo make-up" or something like that. I've seen make-up that covers them, and covers them well, but I don't remember where.
#4 of 25 Old 08-14-2006, 02:07 PM

My dd was in a wedding this year & I noticed @ the bridal shop where we got her dress, they has this tatoo cover up kit. Inquire where you get your gown.

Cristina - "If you find it in your heart to care for somebody else, you will have succeeded." Maya Angelou
#5 of 25 Old 08-14-2006, 02:08 PM

What about lots of concealer with powder over it?

Zen doula-mama to my spirited DS1 (2/03), my CHD (TAPVR) warrior DS2 (6/07) & a gentle baby girl (8/09)
#6 of 25 Old 08-14-2006, 02:10 PM

http://www.perfectwedding.com/ws-tkb3016.html

ds is going to have to cover one of his at some point so I thought I would peek in on this thread...
#7 of 25 Old 08-14-2006, 02:11 PM
Banned

It looks like a lot is available if you google. It seems most kits cost between $25-$35.
#8 of 25 Old 08-14-2006, 02:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CerridwenLorelei
http://www.perfectwedding.com/ws-tkb3016.html

ds is going to have to cover one of his at some point so I thought I would peek in on this thread...

Thanks this one looks good ...

I found this one as well you may want to check...I think it says you can buy samples before commiting.
http://www.colortration.com/
#9 of 25 Old 08-14-2006, 02:28 PM

I was lucky-I have a large band on my upper arm and I had to wear a spaghetti strapped dress...but it had a little shrug like thing I had to wear and it covered it perfectly. I did test that makeup a pp suggested and it works well-just make sure you have a good skin color match. If you're around Boston, maybe you can find a make up artist at a salon or something that can do it for you? Or post on Craig's list-maybe someone has theatrical make-up experience and can help?

I was a guest at a friend of dh's wedding with a lot of baseball celebs there and I had a sleeveless dress (I was preggo) and wore a pashmina over my tats so they wouldn't be visible.

When is the wedding-maybe you can use a wrap?
#10 of 25 Old 08-14-2006, 02:29 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I guess I'm curious though... is it your preference to cover your ink or did the bride ask?
#11 of 25 Old 08-14-2006, 02:55 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Oh, I love tattoos. I am planning on getting one after I run my 15k next year as a present to myself. If the bride doesn't care, I wouldn't bother covering it up. It represents a part of you. Unless, of course, it is something that you you're really aren't comfortable showing in that type of event, then it looks like there are a lot of different things to use.

#12 of 25 Old 08-14-2006, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kama'aina mama
I guess I'm curious though... is it your preference to cover your ink or did the bride ask?
Yeh,I was just going to say that I wasn't trying to get all up your butt but why do you have to cover them?

#13 of 25 Old 08-14-2006, 03:02 PM

#14 of 25 Old 08-14-2006, 03:35 PM

I would just show it, but it is a big issue for the bridal couple for some reason you can use the cover ups. The people I've known that used them it never covered 100% and I can easily pick out a tattoo that has attempted to be covered even at a distance. So I'm not sure if it's the best solution, unless it's really small or something.
#15 of 25 Old 08-14-2006, 03:46 PM
Banned

I'm thinking the make up would do okay in the pictures, but you will probably have a bit of bleed thru IRL.
#16 of 25 Old 08-14-2006, 06:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kama'aina mama
It is not my preference to cover them, but I told the bride I would cover them if she wanted me to. Its not my wedding or my pictures so I dont think it right for me to display them if they dont want me to.
She said yes she would like them covered, and some of the other bridesmaid will be covering theirs as well.

If It was me getting married I could care less I would show them no matter how fancy my wedding was.

The wedding is in Oct. The weather is real funny here in Oct. On Halloween it was in the 70s, but just a few days before it was I think in the 50s which is normal.
I suppose a shall could be worn but only if the other girls are willing to as well..
#17 of 25 Old 08-14-2006, 06:42 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
If I were a bride asking my friends to be in my wedding, it would be because I loved them as people, not as props. Your tats are part of you. I can't imagine telling someone to cover up part of themselves just for some ideal of a "perfect" picture or whatever.

That said, a lightweight shawl is probaby the best option since there are more than one of you "needing" to cover tattoos.

"What will you do once you know?"
#18 of 25 Old 08-14-2006, 08:27 PM

I don't know why the bride didn't pick a dress where the attendants tattoos won't show, if it's the darned important to her. But ITA with Meiri they are a part of you, as such should hopefully be accepted, but sadly apparently not.
#19 of 25 Old 08-14-2006, 10:26 PM - Thread Starter

Whatever..
#20 of 25 Old 08-14-2006, 10:30 PM - Thread Starter

Not that I have to explain myself ...but the BRIDE didnt pick the dresses..WE did The Bridal party...so before you all start dissing my family and my STBSIL..please have the decency to have all the facts before you make judgements.
And what ever in the world makes any of you think I am not accepted by my family...Give me a break people ...
#21 of 25 Old 08-14-2006, 10:40 PM

Frowning Frog-My sister did the same thing. We were a bridal party of various sizes, shapes and physical adornments-it was my choice to pick something that covered my tattoo, too. I didn't want that to be in her photos (that she'd look at forever). Same with a friend of mine who I posted about previously and we had the shrugs. She didn't care about the tattoo (I think I was her only "wild" friend ) showing in photos, but that is something I didn't feel comfortable with. It's a personal choice that you're making out of respect to your family-that's great!

I wore a bright pink cardigan set with a white cotton skirt when we eloped, so it's not in my wedding photos, either!

It's funny because a friends voice was in my head both times going "You'll never be able to wear formal wear!" To which we both laughed because I don't get invited to many black tie galas!
#22 of 25 Old 08-14-2006, 11:11 PM

Ok IME coverups do not generally cover tattoos that well, as I posted before. They end up looking like a big bruise or just a crappy faded tattoo. I was friends with a woman that was expected to cover hers with make for work, and did so but it was still really obvious. Obviously it depends on the tattoo, it's size, location and colors.

But the best solution would have been to choose clothing that would cover the tattoo, if it was that big of a deal that it not show. And hopefully you would have been told that it should be covered before choosing the outfit.
#23 of 25 Old 08-15-2006, 11:07 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by race_kelly
Oh, I love tattoos. I am planning on getting one after I run my 15k next year as a present to myself. If the bride doesn't care, I wouldn't bother covering it up. It represents a part of you. Unless, of course, it is something that you you're really aren't comfortable showing in that type of event, then it looks like there are a lot of different things to use.
That's right I'm quoting myself! I meant to add that if the bride does want it covered then of course you should do so. After all it is her day, and hopefully she will only have to have one wedding day. We all make efforts to get along with others we love and to make them happy, so it makes sense that you would do this for someone that you are close enought to be in their wedding.

I'm sorry that you felt you and your family were being attacked.

#24 of 25 Old 08-15-2006, 01:18 PM

A friend of mine used to be a profesional body-builder, but he also has alot of tattoos, all over his chest, back, and arms. Tattoos would lose him points in a competition (they broke-up the muscular lines), so he would get them airbrushed before any competition.
#25 of 25 Old 08-15-2006, 02:08 PM

My sister in law was in her brothers wedding recently. She has several tattos that would show and was asked to cover them up. I thought that was kind of crappy and if she had asked me I would have said, fine, if you don't want me the way I am have someone else in your wedding. But that's just me. To me, weddings are about your commitment to another person and sharing that with people you love. Not about "perfect" pictures.

Anyway, they used a tattoo cover up kit and imo it looked worse than if she'd just left it alone. It didn't competely cover it and drew more attention to it because the color didn't match veyr well.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page