Were you at the fair today (Saturday)? (in Maryland) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 08-19-2006, 10:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am nearly giddy. First, when walking into the Montgomery County Agricultural Fair (in Gaithersburg, MD) we met a very cool mama and her adorable kiddoes. She was really nice and we chatted about slings for a little while (I was wearing a BabyHawk mei tai) she had an Ergo. She even lived near us and we exchanged numbers and agreed to get together. I was ABOUT to ask her if she ever heard of Mothering and then I just thought that would be too creepy or something so I stopped.

THEN.....

we were walking towards an outdoor BBQ stand for lunch and I almost tripped myself when I spotted a father sitting down wearing a baby in a Maya sling! Yeesh even my dh has only donned one of those 2 or 3 times lol. We sat down at the empty picnic table which was next to his and dh whispered "Hey hon, look... *I* did that that one time, remember?!?!" (it was so cute... I was like, "yes honey, I was so proud of you" (dh is avid babywearer but he's an Ergo guy... not nearly as comfortable with his manhood as he could be, apparently, lol!)). ANYWAY... a mama and her - gasp! - long-haired little boy with the greatest curls you ever saw sat down and just then the father pulled this adorable little chunk of a baby out of the Maya wrap and yep.... a GIANT cloth diaper bum. So I couldn't help myself and just said something like, "Your baby is adorable". Then she said she saw me wearing a mei tai and was impressed with how easily I got ds off my back when we sat down and that she wants to bring hers out again and figure out how to use it. I said I'd be the same way but had a friend show me how and that made it easy from then on. We chatted for a moment about slings and cloth diapers. But then the kids were hungry and we refocused on getting everyone lunch. They got up to leave before I could say anything.

You all have NO IDEA that this is totally like lightning striking twice in my area, lol.

Anyway..... just wonderin if anyone at the fair today saw a mama carrying an 18 month old on her back, pushing a stroller loaded with stuff, and trying to catch up to a dh and two 4 year-olds (boy and girl) trying to get to the tractor pull on time.
#2 of 3 Old 08-19-2006, 11:07 PM

I'm in Maryland, but I wasn't at the Mont. Co. Fair! Cool that you ran into some possible MDCers! You should definitely post this in the Maryland FYT area, if you haven't already!

You can find me on Facebook. PM for info.
#3 of 3 Old 08-19-2006, 11:51 PM

I'm also in Montgomery County, Maryland but I avoid that fair like the plague. I am not surprised that you saw so many crunchy families though, there are a lot of us!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page