Omfg!!!!!!!!!! - Mothering Forums

#1 of 45 Old 08-31-2006, 09:42 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm IRATE right now!!! Someone calm me down!!

So HSBC Mortgage calls our house, as we are late on our payment. (dh has been unemployed for 2 months, I'm a SAHM). The lady asks me when we plan on paying, I say by the end of the week. Then she goes "well I'm looking at your file and you guys have been late since May. So I'm just going to note that you have no intentions of paying". I'm like "Yes we do, I just told you we plan on paying by the end of the week. We've always paid it, yes we're late, but we've always paid it (never more than 30 days late, mind you!!)". She goes "SO why are you late now?" I say "because we're both unemployed!". She goes "well your dh was employed back in May, why were you late then?" I go "excuse me, that was paid. And it's personal, I really don't think it's any of your business asking me that". She goes "Actually MISSY, it is! That's why I work here!"

Anyway, the conversation goes on, I let her know in a VERY calm voice that she has no right to talk to me that way, that I'm a customer, and then I go on to ask her her name. AND SHE REFUSES!! Straight up told me "NO I WON"T" and hung up on me!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm so upset, I'm raging!! I called back and after 10 mins of recording I get a live person and she tells me that there is no manager there and that she won't give me a manager's name or a direct line or even an extention number. She tells me I can send a letter to them.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 45 Old 08-31-2006, 09:44 PM

Crunchy, I think you should come to chat and rage.

*hug*

Mama to : '05, '08, '10 and expecting our 3rd homebirth.jpgJanuary '13

#3 of 45 Old 08-31-2006, 09:46 PM

Call HSBC back and ask to speak to someone about your account. There will be a record that she called you and I bet she has to tag those with her ID. Move up the chain of command there and let them know that is how she is acting!

#4 of 45 Old 08-31-2006, 09:49 PM

um, did I call you?

I work for a bank, we service for several different mortgage companies, and lots of my coworkers say exactly what that lady said to you (not me) it's actually in our script, only a bit nicer than that.. we can't say "missy" we don't have to be nice and by law we CAN ask reason for delinquency. It's something about the embarrasement of being asked that making the customer feel terrible and wanting to pay.

Anyway, sorry you were treated poorly
#5 of 45 Old 08-31-2006, 09:55 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

Oh I did call them back immediatly, and the lady told me there was no management on duty. So dh is calling them tomorrow.

She can ask me why I was late on a payment that was already PAID and over 4 months ago?? A payment that wasn't even 30 days late? That's delinquent?
#6 of 45 Old 08-31-2006, 09:57 PM

to you. I hate dealing with stuff like that. They just send you in circles sometimes. Makes you wonder if they really "monitor their calls for quality assurance," as many of their recordings say.

baby arlo is now earthside! 11.23.2009
#7 of 45 Old 08-31-2006, 10:02 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

oh yes, she said that!! I sincerely hope they did, because thank god that girl will get fired I'm sure!!

BTW, she sounded very young and snotty. Like that means anything. I'm just mad. Some young little *&%$# calls me up and harasses me and calls me names. "honey" and "missy". ANd I can assure that when she called me those names, they weren't endearing.
#8 of 45 Old 08-31-2006, 10:29 PM

Sorry Cat, but I'm sure I'll be posting a near identicle thread in the next few months beings dh got unemployed and we have GMAC.
#9 of 45 Old 08-31-2006, 10:40 PM

Oh wow ..Thats just wrong.
Im so sorry you were treated that way. Some people think that they are more superior then others because they work and you dont.
I would keep calling back until I recognized that girls voice and pretend to call about something different and be super duper nice and make small talk...I bet she'd tell you her name then...
#10 of 45 Old 08-31-2006, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrunchyKat

She can ask me why I was late on a payment that was already PAID and over 4 months ago?? A payment that wasn't even 30 days late? That's delinquent?
she can ask- we are told to ask, even if 1 DAY delinquent (1 day after the due date) I know, I personally hate asking, but it's policy here
#11 of 45 Old 08-31-2006, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loving-my-babies
she can ask- we are told to ask, even if 1 DAY delinquent (1 day after the due date) I know, I personally hate asking, but it's policy here
Yeah, it may be policy and all, but I bet most people don't tell the real reason and all it probably does is make them angry and makes the call go downhill, just like this one. You can be darn sure if anyone ever drilled me like that they would learn things they didn't even know were possible. :
#12 of 45 Old 08-31-2006, 11:09 PM

Those people can be brutal
#13 of 45 Old 08-31-2006, 11:11 PM

Just pick up the phone and say calmly "this is your once today" and hang up...then if they call back, report them for breaking the collection rules of only calling and speaking to you once per day.

Eden yikes.gif, working on a PhD in Education mama to Laurelleshamrocksmile.gif (16), Orijoy.gif (6), Yarrowfaint.gif (4) and Linusfly-by-nursing1.gif (1) partner to Brice. 
#14 of 45 Old 08-31-2006, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BathrobeGoddess
Just pick up the phone and say calmly "this is your once today" and hang up...then if they call back, report them for breaking the collection rules of only calling and speaking to you once per day.
That's great! :
#15 of 45 Old 08-31-2006, 11:22 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by frowningfrog
Oh wow ..Thats just wrong.
Im so sorry you were treated that way. Some people think that they are more superior then others because they work and you dont.
I would keep calling back until I recognized that girls voice and pretend to call about something different and be super duper nice and make small talk...I bet she'd tell you her name then...
Great idea!!!!! I think I might have to go do that...
#16 of 45 Old 08-31-2006, 11:28 PM

I would Google HSBC. Find out their corporate phone number. Find out who the CEO is or at the very least a Division President or something similar, and call them. Be calm and explain to them exactly what happened. Include the time, the date, your account number etc. Tell them you are already very stressed, have always done your utmost best to keep current on your payments fufilling your obligation to them, and that you are more than willing to work this out with them. But there is no reason for their CS rep to have treated you that way or spoken to you that way. And whatever else you want to add.
Was she in their billing dept and employed by HSBC or a random bill collector? If bill collector there are laws which protect you and recourse for you, should one of them break the law.
#17 of 45 Old 08-31-2006, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrunchyKat
I'm IRATE right now!!! Someone calm me down!!

So HSBC Mortgage calls our house, as we are late on our payment. (dh has been unemployed for 2 months, I'm a SAHM). The lady asks me when we plan on paying, I say by the end of the week. Then she goes "well I'm looking at your file and you guys have been late since May. So I'm just going to note that you have no intentions of paying". I'm like "Yes we do, I just told you we plan on paying by the end of the week. We've always paid it, yes we're late, but we've always paid it (never more than 30 days late, mind you!!)". She goes "SO why are you late now?" I say "because we're both unemployed!". She goes "well your dh was employed back in May, why were you late then?" I go "excuse me, that was paid. And it's personal, I really don't think it's any of your business asking me that". She goes "Actually MISSY, it is! That's why I work here!"

Anyway, the conversation goes on, I let her know in a VERY calm voice that she has no right to talk to me that way, that I'm a customer, and then I go on to ask her her name. AND SHE REFUSES!! Straight up told me "NO I WON"T" and hung up on me!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm so upset, I'm raging!! I called back and after 10 mins of recording I get a live person and she tells me that there is no manager there and that she won't give me a manager's name or a direct line or even an extention number. She tells me I can send a letter to them.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
: , i hate when people are #^%#^&(* like that!!
#18 of 45 Old 08-31-2006, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tayndrewsmama
Yeah, it may be policy and all, but I bet most people don't tell the real reason and all it probably does is make them angry and makes the call go downhill, just like this one. You can be darn sure if anyone ever drilled me like that they would learn things they didn't even know were possible. :
oh, I TOTALLY agree with you. I would LOVE not having to ask "and the reason for the slight delay, sir?" because you're right, it DOES make them mad. I've had people call me so many things.. if I took it personal I'd go but I like my job, overall, we get great customers. I try to tell them that it's a courtesy call, and most really respond well. A lot of them forget about the payment (heck, I forget about bills sometimes) so just a small number of them get defensive, and in my opinion it has a lot to do with OUR attitude when we call. In my experience I try to avoid words like "delinquent" or condescending tones like this collector had because I find that when people like you and they feel like you're on their side, simply trying to remind them because you care, you get more people to pay.

I think (my theory) that the reason they make us ask for RFD is to make them feel embarrased and bad so they pay. Terrible, but it's my theory
#19 of 45 Old 08-31-2006, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BathrobeGoddess
we're allowed to call twice per day- and when people hang up on us, we don't call back we just put them back on the dialer, but they get written down as a no pay, which is worse than simply stating you can't pay.
#20 of 45 Old 08-31-2006, 11:46 PM

Quote:
we're allowed to call twice per day- and when people hang up on us, we don't call back we just put them back on the dialer, but they get written down as a no pay, which is worse than simply stating you can't pay.
Our old neighbors used to have me answer the phone and pretend to be the babysitter. It got a little hairy when people started coming to the door though. I vividly remember a room full of grown adults hiding behind furniture in the living room for 30 minutes while some guy walked around banging on all the doors. I even called them a few times to warn them that someone was sitting outside their house. I know that's not what you do for your job, but I guess hanging up is probably how they got to that stage of the game.
#21 of 45 Old 08-31-2006, 11:51 PM

We had HSBC a few years ago. Their customer service people are some of the nastiest people I have ever dealt with. I will never use them willingly again.

Kathy-Mom to Blake & Mikaela
#22 of 45 Old 09-01-2006, 12:24 AM

Quote:
they get written down as a no pay, which is worse than simply stating you can't pay.
Can you explain what this means?
#23 of 45 Old 09-01-2006, 12:48 AM

I really don't understand collections people.

My first office job was in a collection agency, and I hated it. I always went into every call telling myself that the person on the other line was likely under a lot of stress, and that they weren't paying their bills because they were deadbeats, but because they'd probably fallen into difficult circumstances. I tried to treat every client with kindness and understanding, and I found that the overall response that I got was much better than what my coworkers got. By the time I left, I had actually turned around quite a few accounts and I had brought in a decent amount of money.

If you treat people like humans, then they generally act like humans in return. People who are delinquent on their bills usually have a reason. Treating them like crap doesn't really do anybody any good. I wish banks and collection agencies understood that.
#24 of 45 Old 09-01-2006, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMolly
Can you explain what this means?
We note the accounts every time we call. Depending on what happened during the call, some comments remain permanent, some dont. If a person is rude without reason and plays "games" (hanging up, etc..) then they get tagged as a difficult customer that doesn't show interest in paying. If the person takes our call and gives us a pay DATE and amount, we are able to note the account and don't call them back unless they break their promise (and broken & kept promises also go on their account record)
#25 of 45 Old 09-01-2006, 01:17 AM

Keep calling until you get to talk to someone high enough up that a formal complaint is filed. I had a bill collector call last year that was insanely snotty with me. When I explained that I was a SAHM she flat out said "Well it must be nice to just sit around being taken care of all day." (among other things) By the next week I had a verbal apology from a manger over the phone and a letter stating that they were reconsolidating (sp?) my loan and lowering my payments. I've never been so glad to have a call recorded in all my life.

Mom of 3 (Evan, Trey, Saffron ) Blogs at findingsummer.com
#26 of 45 Old 09-01-2006, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lillake
Keep calling until you get to talk to someone high enough up that a formal complaint is filed. I had a bill collector call last year that was insanely snotty with me. When I explained that I was a SAHM she flat out said "Well it must be nice to just sit around being taken care of all day." (among other things) By the next week I had a verbal apology from a manger over the phone and a letter stating that they were reconsolidating (sp?) my loan and lowering my payments. I've never been so glad to have a call recorded in all my life.
yeah that the other thing. Since all calls are recorded, if a customer calls in to complain, the manager MUST listen to the call with the employee present. That could get anyone in trouble. What that collector said to you was terrible. You can also file a complaint if the company is under the fair collection laws. We go by their rules and are very careful in what we say.
#27 of 45 Old 09-01-2006, 01:53 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Ugh, how awful.

I know you did not ask for advice, but here is some unsolicited advice. Go to http://www.creditboards.com and check out their forums for information about what to do with bill collectors, and everything else in the world related to credit, mortgages, etc.
#28 of 45 Old 09-01-2006, 03:23 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I can not believe she called you MISSY!!
I would be beyond pissed... but that it also a pet peeve of mine everyone calls me Miss even when I am out with my husband.
I understand they have to ask you that stuff, but I there is no excuse for that rudeness

BC Mum of four (12,10,6,3) plus a bonus toddler
#29 of 45 Old 09-01-2006, 07:32 AM

What people don't realize is that by being snotty to everyone, they're pissing off the ones who would otherwise have been cooperative and polite and they're further pissing off the ones who would already be rude. That's a losing situation for everyone but the rude folks- who're basically just getting fuel for their fire!

Hopefully DH will be able to get through to someone. Don't take it personally as best you can.
#30 of 45 Old 09-01-2006, 07:43 AM

I forgot to pay a bill a couple of months ago - totally slipped my mind, and when the next one came in it had to wait a couple of days. Anyway, the bill is in dh's name (say, J. Doe). The company called asking for J. Doe. I assumed it was telemarketing people, said "we don't accept sales calls, please put us on your do not call list" and hung up, then realized who they were and why they were calling!!! Oops.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page