Why the revolting superiority complex? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 26 Old 08-31-2006, 10:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Lately, there has been many letters to the editor in the local paper regarding WI's upcoming Marriage Amendment vote.

For the life of me, I absolutely cannot understand for one tiny little millisecond why anyone thinks that they have the right to legally prevent anyone from being married or a couple or whatever they want to show their love and devotion. I have yet to read any letter or article anwhere where someone explains why another has that right. Sure, there are many people quoting this verse and that verse and how God say's it's wrong and , but that is not really valid when you are speaking about others who may or may not have different beliefs, is it? Seriously, do people really have such huge blinders on that they don't even acknowledge that there are other religions and belief systems that are different from their own? Believe what you want and follow what you want, but realize that as you think your way is right, so do millions of others.

I am not looking to argue about who thinks it's acceptable and who does not. I don't think it matters in this issue. No one is being hurt by anyone else's decison of who they love or don't love. Why make something that doesn't hurt anyone into something that hurts those affected by it? Is there something that I do not understand here? Do I feel sick for no reason about this?
#2 of 26 Old 08-31-2006, 10:36 PM

i can't understand it either!

especially with diseases all over the place (STDs)....

you'd think that MONOGOMY would be encouaged by the government.

i don't get it. but, i dont like to mix religion with politics, which a lot of people seem to do on a regular basis.
#3 of 26 Old 08-31-2006, 10:41 PM - Thread Starter

Well, I think when it comes to the gov't, those with the most money, speak the loudest.

I have also wondered if everyone wants to preach about what the word 'marriage' really means and how it came to be, then how come it ever got to be that one could be married by a judge or a justice of the peace? Or anyone who is not a church leader? Dh and I were 'married' at the courthouse. Our marriage certificate says 'Marriage' on it. Is it possible that the word 'marriage' took on some new meaning when that began?
#4 of 26 Old 08-31-2006, 10:48 PM

edited to change formatting
#5 of 26 Old 08-31-2006, 10:49 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I dont understand the whole "sanctity of marriage" bs when the divorce rate in this country is over 50%....................

Quote:
Seriously, do people really have such huge blinders on that they don't even acknowledge that there are other religions and belief systems that are different from their own
Unfortunately, I think the answer is yes

It saddens me so much to hear so many people spewing so much hate - it sickens me.

homeschooling, earth loving Mama to 3 crazy, wonderful boys, ages 10 & 7, & 3 mos.,3 spirit babies                                Inch by inch, row by row.  Gonna make this garden grow  
#6 of 26 Old 08-31-2006, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepies
you'd think that MONOGOMY would be encouaged by the government.
ita!!!

i can even go along with this or that church saying well you can't get married in our church but to go on to say you can't get married anywhere by force of law!?!?!? its just stupid.
#7 of 26 Old 08-31-2006, 10:51 PM

im so glad i started comming back here.

maybe i am not alone in this world

(sorry to post twice, but i was just so happy to see this)
#8 of 26 Old 08-31-2006, 10:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainsun
It saddens me so much to hear so many people spewing so much hate - it sickens me.
It's terrible and I think this upcoming vote is bring out the absolute worst in people too. Recently, a coffee shop in the are closed down. They closed down because the owners were lesbians and the hate that occured was appalling. Now there are people laughing their a$$es off and think it's funny that the "lesbos closed down". Awful! Just awful. What is wrong with people?
#9 of 26 Old 08-31-2006, 10:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
im so glad i started comming back here.

maybe i am not alone in this world

(sorry to post twice, but i was just so happy to see this)
Eh, post ten times! Glad to have ya back!

Does anyone else fear that if this is a widespread law that homosexual hate crimes will increase? It doesn't make sense to discriminate with the law.
#10 of 26 Old 08-31-2006, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tayndrewsmama
Well, I think when it comes to the gov't, those with the most money, speak the loudest.

I have also wondered if everyone wants to preach about what the word 'marriage' really means and how it came to be, then how come it ever got to be that one could be married by a judge or a justice of the peace? Or anyone who is not a church leader? Dh and I were 'married' at the courthouse. Our marriage certificate says 'Marriage' on it. Is it possible that the word 'marriage' took on some new meaning when that began?
too

and it seems like most of the folks opposed to "gay marrige" are equally opposed to "civil unions" as well.

and then you start to tak about sex ed and how to deal with gay issues there. and since the bush adminisration is opposed to any sex ed that isn't "abstinence only" meaning abstinence until "marrige". well....

are gay people seriously supposed to abstain forever?
#11 of 26 Old 08-31-2006, 10:57 PM

I don't understand it either. It amazes me the capacity people have in their hearts for such hate.

Jessica, wife of Marc and Momma to Nikolai (10) and Nathaniel (9) and Olivia (3).
#12 of 26 Old 08-31-2006, 10:59 PM

Fear-fear is what I think makes people think that they can tell one person what to do when it comes to the marriage issue, and most issues that come down to humanity vs. religion IMO. It's just an accepted prejudice-separate and unequal where a small few see fit. It makes me .

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Jessica*
I don't understand it either. It amazes me the capacity people have in their hearts for such hate.
: But preach to "love your brother."
#13 of 26 Old 08-31-2006, 11:00 PM

Ya know, I just don't understand it - I mean, I just don't understand how people can not have simple respect for fellow human beings, even if they don't "agree" or "support" how other people live their lives. Man, who am I to say who can get married and who can't???? The "holier than thou" complex has never sat well with me and it really does make me ill that people live with so much hate inside of themselves. So sad. Live and let live.

homeschooling, earth loving Mama to 3 crazy, wonderful boys, ages 10 & 7, & 3 mos.,3 spirit babies                                Inch by inch, row by row.  Gonna make this garden grow  
#14 of 26 Old 08-31-2006, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellyaellenare
gay people seriously supposed to abstain forever?
Absolutely. If, God forbid, you have homosexual feelings, you must suppress those feelings at all cost or you are going to go to hell. Well, according to our holier than thou (imo) President and those who think like him, of course. :

I am truly disgusted by a nation that claims separation of church and state and yet whose actions show anything but. I too will never, ever understand the concept that a gay or lesbian marriage is somehow going to make a hetero marriage less meaningful. Really, seriously, I would love for just ONE person to give me a solid truth behind that reasoning.

Me: married to my :fireman Mama to my littles: Toby 8/04 and Elina 10/08
#15 of 26 Old 08-31-2006, 11:09 PM

Read the first line of my sig. My pastor said that in church last night and it struck me enough to put it in my sig.

This is a tree on fire with love, but it's still scary since most people think love only looks like one thing instead of the whole world. *
#16 of 26 Old 08-31-2006, 11:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackenzie
Read the first line of my sig. My pastor said that in church last night and it struck me enough to put it in my sig.
Wow, that sure makes you stop and think.
#17 of 26 Old 08-31-2006, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Is there something that I do not understand here? Do I feel sick for no reason about this?
There are not enough "Yeah, thats" to show how much I agree with you. I don't even have words to be able to argue about it because I don't know...it's just so freaking BASIC that it's like arguing that it should be legal to, I don't know, wear jeans on Wednesdays. I just cannot comprehend this. :

mommy to ds 11/05, dd1 01/08, and dd2 01/10!
#18 of 26 Old 08-31-2006, 11:33 PM

Didn't you know that gay people are destroying the American family? It would only make things worse if they were allowed to marry! :

Seriously though, I think it's a sort of smokescreen to hide issues that are much harder to fix, namely the high divorce rate and the number of single parent households with no support coming in from the father, either emotional, physical, or financial. Easier to pick on a minority of people that have a hard time defending themselves since the "moral majority" spews such sickening hate.
#19 of 26 Old 08-31-2006, 11:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrawberryFields
There are not enough "Yeah, thats" to show how much I agree with you. I don't even have words to be able to argue about it because I don't know...it's just so freaking BASIC that it's like arguing that it should be legal to, I don't know, wear jeans on Wednesdays. I just cannot comprehend this. :
Yeah, something tells me that there are probably quite a few people against marriage for all who also think that their smoking habits don't affect anyone else either. Don't ask me why I made that correlation, but I am seeing it though.
#20 of 26 Old 08-31-2006, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaomiLorelie
Didn't you know that gay people are destroying the American family? It would only make things worse if they were allowed to marry! :

Seriously though, I think it's a sort of smokescreen to hide issues that are much harder to fix, namely the high divorce rate and the number of single parent households with no support coming in from the father, either emotional, physical, or financial. Easier to pick on a minority of people that have a hard time defending themselves since the "moral majority" spews such sickening hate.
I just don't understand it, what one has to do with the other. Not one iota. I wish that someone could explain to me exactly how...never mind. I get so worked up and flabbergasted when I talk about this that I can't even think straight anymore. My mom and I had a discussion about it once and she pulled ewvery weird excuse out of the bag including something about how it was going to affect her taxes...I was too dumbfounded to even speak for a moment. I think that a lot of people are going on a knee jerk response that it is wrong to it should be illegal without even thinking about the fact that not everyone in America prescribes to their beliefs and perhaps we should give people the freedom to decide on their own what is right or wrong without forcing them to follow a Bible that they may not even believe in.

Whew that was a long sentence. My head hurts.

Oh, and I *am* a Christian, too. Sigh.

#21 of 26 Old 09-01-2006, 12:06 AM - Thread Starter

StrawberryFields, did your mom go into any detail as to how she thinks this would affect her taxes?
#22 of 26 Old 09-01-2006, 12:31 AM

Quote:
StrawberryFields, did your mom go into any detail as to how she thinks this would affect her taxes?
No and she wasn't saying "I am against gay marriage because it will affect my taxes" but it was more like "There is a lot to think about you know we will have to read everything very carefully and take into account the way this is going to impact us and you know how they like to word things and sneak things in there and I am not saying I am against gay marriage but it's the big picture we need to look at etc etc etc." It basically didn't make any sense and I think it was her way of trying to find a way to justify why she might (will?) vote for the ban.

#23 of 26 Old 09-01-2006, 06:42 PM - Thread Starter

I'd really like to hear some honest answers about why some think this is okay.
#24 of 26 Old 09-01-2006, 06:56 PM

I asked a similar question a while back and what made the most sense to me was homophobia, pure and simple. Every other excuse is just bs. You can claim religion, but thats just picking and choosing the parts you want to enforce. Heck, me and dh were not married in a church - I don't understand what the church has to do w/ us. Lately, I think it is to keep peoples minds on these "moral" issues and off of other things going on.
#25 of 26 Old 09-01-2006, 07:09 PM

I don't get it either, I really don't. Why does anyone care? It makes me so angry to think there are people out there that would use their energy to stop people from getting married purely because they are gay. I mean really people - find another cause!

Mackenzie your sig line is right on. It's a sad commentary on our country right now.

Great for nature studies! http://www.pleinairkids.com
Plein Air Kids - Handmade wooden art boxes for Budding Artists.
#26 of 26 Old 09-01-2006, 07:14 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Sure, there are many people quoting this verse and that verse and how God say's it's wrong and , but that is not really valid when you are speaking about others who may or may not have different beliefs, is it? Seriously, do people really have such huge blinders on that they don't even acknowledge that there are other religions and belief systems that are different from their own?
I think if you believe that there aren't many different spiritual paths or ways to truth, and that you have the only true belief, then you may not be openminded about this. The whole, "Oh, you might not believe in God, but
God believes in you" type of attitude. In my experience, many people aren't really into religious tolerance, but can be downright angry when others don't believe in what they believe, especially if there are strictures on them that they want others to share.

I also think people have these deep-seated beliefs because of the attitudes at the time they came of age, and they don't want to let go of those attitudes, at least not at first. You've been raised to believe that certain things just aren't right and people should have some "common decency" or modesty or shame; then others reject those ideals that are important to you, and it is threatening. Hopefully people are introspective enough to question why they are holding onto their beliefs so strongly, and make a change. My mom is 80 and her beliefs about gay people have become much more liberal in her later years.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page