I am VERY angry at Planned Parenthood! - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-01-2006, 10:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieMonsterMommy
She went a full 13+ months having unprotected sex!
I realize that, but do they test you every year when you go in? I just think it is kinda the same thing.

Now of course if someone ASKS they should do the testing, but I can see where they might not see it nessesary to offer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2006, 10:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniT
I realize that, but do they test you every year when you go in? I just think it is kinda the same thing.

Now of course if someone ASKS they should do the testing, but I can see where they might not see it nessesary to offer.
Yep, they do test me every year when I go in (well, my midwives anyway).

If someone is requesting it, and they have insurence that will cover it, they should be allowed to be tested every month. She already had swabs going up there...why not an extra 2 swabs?

Kelly, mama (12yoDS), doula, RN, and writer.
There's no where you can be that isn't where you were meant to be, its easy
Old 09-01-2006, 10:36 PM

As a nurse practitioner at Planned Parenthood, I can tell you that what this practitioner did is not at all policy at PP. The different affiliates do have different policies, but your sister should have been encouraged to get any testing done that she desired.

I always try to encourage my patients to get as many tests done as they need (at minimum we screen all patients under 25 annually for chlamydia with their consent, gonnorrhea, HIV and syphilis are also offered and if they want to pay for a Herpes blood test they can get that, too). The monogamous partner reasoning is bogus. I can't tell you how often I have positive test results from women who have been in married "monogamous" relationships for 10+ years. And most women do not have symptoms (only about 25% of women with gonorrhea and chlamydia are symptomatic).

I would first make a phone call to the office to ask their policy on std screening, then go with your sister down to the office. I am absolutely stunned that she asked for these tests and denied! :
Old 09-01-2006, 11:01 PM

Oh-- and not to hijack the thread , but just wanted to clarify what exactly the pap test does- yes, it is first and foremost looking for precancerous changes to the cells on your cervix, but it can also test for HPV. THere are 2 kinds of paps,the traditional ones where they smear your cells on a glass slide there in the office and send them to the pathology lab, or the "Thin prep" types where they swirl the stick in a little cup of water and send the cup to the lab. We do the thin prep types (although most don't because they are more expensive). The thin prep can test for HPV without a separate test. If a pap comes back abnormal the lab automatically tests it for HPV. There is also a separate HPV test that can be done independent of a pap smear.

And yes, the far majority of cervical cancers are caused by HPV (Which most people's immune systems clear on their own in a matter of time before progressing to cancer). In fact, some people might even say that all cervical cancer is caused by HPV, but I don't know of any hard data on that.

And going back to the original issue, we don't even do pap smears on women unless they are 21 years old or have been sexually active for at least 3 years. The reason being is that so many paps come back abnormal from younger people and require further testing that is both uncomfortable and unnecessary, and the reason for them being abnormal clears on its own in a few years. So, depending on when your sister started having intercourse, this practitioner may not have even needed to do a pap! Maybe she's just a fill-in and not a regular practitioner, I know a lot of PPs are really hurting for staff.
Old 09-01-2006, 11:27 PM

Quote:
She's not the nurse--she's the freaking practitioner!
Well, then she must know everything since she is a doctor, she is like God, don't ya know?

I suggest that you report this quack to your medical licensing board and let them explain the facts of life to her.

And get another doctor/practitioner, soon.
Old 09-01-2006, 11:30 PM - Thread Starter

She's not a doctor though.

Old 09-01-2006, 11:33 PM

That reallly sucks. Are they really allowed to do that? I always thought they had to test when you asked to be tested, no questions asked type of thing.

I'm a modifiedartist.gif DH is a reading.gif we have 2 angel.gifs, and DS is a rainbow1284.gif baby.gif
Old 09-02-2006, 12:30 AM

Quote:
She's not a doctor though.
Then don't report her. She obviously knows what she is doing and answers to no one, including you.
Old 09-02-2006, 12:44 AM - Thread Starter

I'm a little confused...I haven't even tried to speak with her yet...

Old 09-02-2006, 12:48 AM

Quote:
The HIPPA laws could keep her from discussing any patient with you.
Old 09-02-2006, 12:57 AM - Thread Starter

Not while that patient is physically there in the room consenting to the release of such information and has listed me as her health care proxy.

Old 09-02-2006, 01:40 AM

I second all the previous posts saying to call or write that Planned Parenthood office. IME unfortunately, there are occassionally practitioners at PP that suck. (and don't get me wrong, I love the PP mission and give money to them when I can ) I have generally had good experiences, but the last time I went it was a terrible experience with a know it all dismissive doctor who disregarded all my questions and concerns. It was years ago, but I switched to the local Bastyr clinic for all my gyn needs because of it. I wish I had written a complaint or called about my experience. It sounds like this situation needs to be brought to the attention of the office, b/c clearly it is not a good way to be treating patients. Good luck and give em' heck!

and ps good for your sister for being so responsible with her health!
Old 09-02-2006, 02:45 AM

Quote:
At least from what I read I think the PP was kidding...but then again sometimes I miss intent on the internet.

Mama to : '05, '08, '10 and expecting our 3rd homebirth.jpgJanuary '13

Old 09-02-2006, 02:50 AM

That's terrible!

I used to go to PP for all of my annual checkups in college, and they always insisted on doing STD testing as part of it, even if I was in a monogomous relationship at the time!

User Tag List