What should I get my friend for her 5th baby's birth? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-04-2006, 05:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Mods- if this really belongs somewhere else, either move it or let me know and I'll repost it. LWAB? Frugality? Allergies? MHM? Crafts?

My good friend just had her 5th baby, her 3rd boy, early Sunday morning.

What would be an appropriate gift?

She already has hand-me-down children's clothes up to her elbows. She doesn't need any more "baby equipment" or toys, nor does she have space for anything like this in her tiny 3 bedroom house.

I don't have a whole lot of cash but I am pretty crafty. I'm not sure I want to send gifts of food because her 2yo has several severe food allergies (peanuts, cow's milk, garlic, tree nuts, soy) and I'm afraid of sending anything "contaminated" by garlic or coconut oil from my kitchen.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 13(homeschooled)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2006, 05:23 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
A babybook? You could craft a cute, quick little scrapbook for the new wee one? That's something each new baby needs.

"The true measure of a man is how he treats a man who can do him absolutely no good."
peace.gif  Embrace the learning that is happening within the things that are actually happening!    
Old 09-04-2006, 05:27 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Offer to come over and clean her house (or part of it) ?

Get a couple of her favorite recipes, buy the ingredients, and then prepare the food in her kitchen, so there are no food contamination issues?

Offer to look after her older dc for a few hours so she can have some bonding time with the new niblet?

Grocery bag full of allergen-free foods or fresh fruits and veggies from the farmer's market?
Old 09-04-2006, 06:32 PM - Thread Starter

Her kitchen is incredibly tiny, so having anybody else cook in there is impractical. Plus, her MIL and BIL are staying with them right now, so they're really not in need of extra childcare or housecleaning in the short term.

I can't picture her having TIME to fill in a baby book!

Maybe I'll do some kind of "service-oriented gift" after her BIL and MIL go home.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 13(homeschooled)
Old 09-04-2006, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Maybe I'll do some kind of "service-oriented gift" after her BIL and MIL go home.
Thats a good idea.
Old 09-04-2006, 06:44 PM

I think a board book is a good gift for a new baby, if you're not sure what they really need. Even if there are board books the older kids had, they're probably all chewed on and ripped up by now, iykwim. And you can get a nice book for under $10.

Maybe a cute diaper cover, if she's a CD-er?

Soft robeez-like shoes, perhaps, in the 6-12 month size for this winter...even if she has shoes leftover from the older kids, shoes get worn out much more than clothes do, so new ones are nice.
Old 09-04-2006, 06:48 PM

Maybe something just for the mom? A gift cert to a pedicure while you babysit, or something like that? She probably doesn't get much time to herself!!
Old 09-04-2006, 06:50 PM
Lou

babysitting, or cleaning time, definitely! with five kids- i imagine that's what she'll need most.
Old 09-04-2006, 06:50 PM - Thread Starter

If she CDed I probably would have sewn her a few fitteds and/or artsy covers by now, and I wouldn't have needed to post this message! I know she uses sposies on her 2yo so I assume she's planning on doing the same with her newborn. I wonder if I could get her into CDs though, once the 3 big ones are in school (school starts Thursday) and things get a little less crazy at her house.

Old 09-04-2006, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou
babysitting, or cleaning time, definitely! with five kids- i imagine that's what she'll need most.
Yeah, nothing like a day off for a mom of five....

I'm a modifiedartist.gif DH is a reading.gif we have 2 angel.gifs, and DS is a rainbow1284.gif baby.gif
Old 09-04-2006, 07:05 PM

Ruthla I'll think of something really excellent, you help me look for the turquiose crocks my dd has hidden somewhere in the house.

"With the thoughts I'd be thinkin', I could be another Lincoln,

If I only had a brain."duh.gif

Old 09-04-2006, 07:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoamama
Ruthla I'll think of something really excellent, you help me look for the turquiose crocks my dd has hidden somewhere in the house.
Have you looked in the toybox? Under furniture? Inside kitchen cabinets?

Old 09-04-2006, 07:14 PM

All of the above, see my thread. I have been dreaming about them, I must be demented...Anyway, I have 4, if I was to have a 5th, I would want A) a really beautiful new sleeper because so many fo the babes would be handed down, b) homemade dessert.

Old 09-04-2006, 07:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by frontierpsych
Yeah, nothing like a day off for a mom of five....
Thing is, she's not going to want "time away" from the newborn (and won't until he's reliably on solids, whenever that might be), and she's uneasy about leaving her highly allergic 2yo (almost 3) with anybody. I'm not even sure I'd be comfortable caring for him all day- and the older 3 will be in school soon anyway (same school as my kids.)

So whoamama- you think she'd appreciate new clothes for the baby, even though she won't "need" them?

Old 09-04-2006, 07:55 PM

I'd sudjest a Massage (and free babysitting so she can go get it) and while she's gone, clean her house.
Old 09-04-2006, 07:58 PM

A meal made for them after the company leaves maybe?
Old 09-04-2006, 08:31 PM

Ruthla, I think a new baby outfit that was really special would rock.

Old 09-04-2006, 08:41 PM

i think going over after the initial rush of help has gone and helping out would be cool. how awesome that you are thinking of your friend!
Old 09-04-2006, 08:52 PM

I like to get a hardcover collection of fables or classic fairy tales for a 2nd-3rd-4th-etc. child's birth.

mommy to ds 11/05, dd1 01/08, and dd2 01/10!
Old 09-04-2006, 09:19 PM

How about a plaster handprint or footprint kit

A baby blanket (buy material at the store, then cut around the edges for "fringe") If you know how to embroider you could put the baby's name on it

Growth Chart

Cute poem with their name on it. This is something you could print out on your computer and frame.

HTH!
Old 09-04-2006, 09:24 PM

Bubble bath and a coupon for babysitting--with a note "for anytime in the next 2 years"
Old 09-04-2006, 09:32 PM

If she is using sposies, you could get her diapers and wipes. All of my sposie-using friends have said it was the best present they recieved.

You could also get the new baby a really nice stuffed animal or blanket. Even if she has things from the older children, each new baby deserves their own special lovey, imo.

Homeschooling, etsy-crafting Mama to spunky DD (12-04) and wife to DH.

Old 09-04-2006, 10:00 PM

I just had my fifth baby (third boy also) two months ago. My favorite gifts were:

-diapers ( i don't CD)

-wipes

-Gift cards to local take out places

-gift card to Barnes and Nobles (bought MYSELF some books)

-House helper coupons (friend came over and held baby while I got stuff done, or did stuff while I held baby)

-Spa basket (foot creme, lotion, etc....)

I did not really like getting clothes because I felt it was a waste when I had so much. But I get really guilty if my kids don't wear each outfit several times so the people get their money out of it...that is my weird "thing".

Hope that helps..

~C~
Old 09-04-2006, 10:24 PM

A new, fresh pair of soft shoes like Jack and Lily or Robeez.

Kim , mom to Amanda (16):, William (13), and Annie (5)
Old 09-04-2006, 10:35 PM

Some Rescue Remedy and Elm. Seriously. Or some kind of lavender essential oil for restful sleep and relaxation. Or sew up a sachet of dried lavender for the bed. Or chamomile, raspberry leaf, mother's milk teas in a gift basket with some lansinoh. And bake some cookies for the kids.

Pat

I have a blog.
Old 09-04-2006, 11:36 PM

I'm about to have our 7th (ok, I have 3 months left...), and when people ask me what I need, I'm like I don't know!! I have a lot, but I do need newborn stuff, but I feel embarrassed because this is my 7th, and I should have it all!!

What could I use??? Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...maybe, I just don't know. I mean, onesies are good. Socks are good. I use Luvs. (DH won't allow cloth)

Just ask her. Was babysitting the others mentioned? I've always like that!! Or a meal, and a meal that her family likes. Ask them what they like. Hint: Don't ever take a meal to a family that has a lot of kids without asking first what they like, and prefer. I'm serious!! I've had food brought over before and my kids have not touched it!! I had 1 lady ask me the last time what we liked and I said lasagna, and she brought over the best homemade lasagna!!

Congrats to your friend!!
Old 09-05-2006, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennedy444
A new, fresh pair of soft shoes like Jack and Lily or Robeez.
I just got DS a pair from the Disney Store.. : They were on sale, and they're cute. Nemo on baby blue with green trim.
Old 09-05-2006, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenie
I just got DS a pair from the Disney Store.. : They were on sale, and they're cute. Nemo on baby blue with green trim.

Umm..hello!! $10...we got the cream ones with Winnie the Pooh...

~C~
Old 09-05-2006, 12:30 AM - Thread Starter

My kids are friends with her kids. I can ask her kids directly what kinds of food they like (or have my kids ask.)

At this point, I think I'll bring a small token gift to the "welcome baby party" next Sunday (or just bring our presence instead of presents), but give her a "real gift" in a month or two after her inlaws go home.

I'm hesitant to make any food for their house until I know if she's on any kind of restricted diet for allergy-prevention's sake. Not that it isn't helpful to have food for her DH and the older 3 kids, but if it's something all 6 of them can eat it's even better!

Old 09-05-2006, 12:38 AM

I think a cupon to a local film developing place would be good. Or are you a good photographer? Maybe offer to take some new family pics? Then have one blown up and framed? You can find some nice frames at the dollar store sometimes.

A good friend of mine (who was really broke at the time) made me an awesome card and wrote a poem in it for ds. Then she wrote the poem out for him in calligraphy and laminated it for him? I don't know how artsy you are but that was an awesome gift.

Vanessa belly.gif, wife to Kev , mama to Byron (5) wild.gif and Billie (2) and  due in June

User Tag List