Does it bother you when...... - Mothering Forums

#1 of 21 Old 09-07-2006, 08:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
someone posts they use abbreviated words or shorthand when posting in a thread?? I know that it does some but I want to know if it is really that big a issue. I use abbreviations a lot when I am or just because it doesn't take as long to type out some words if you shorten it.

Share what bothers you and why?

SAHM
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
lovin'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
to
DD 10/00 &

DS 10/04
If your son is intact, keep him safe, visit the Intact Care forum
Circ, a personal choice, Your SONS

11/98
6/99
Thyroid cancer survivor. With 5
& 2 Boxers
wishing for

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 21 Old 09-07-2006, 08:21 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It depends on if aunt flow aka af is in town or not, lol.

lol used to bother me. I felt it easier to just say I was laughing, or post a laughing emoti. I post lol all the time. I post ds....for my kids. rarely use their real names unless I slip up. Some of it, I find comical. Some of it, I consider internet msg brd (haha!) speak. Some of it, I dunno? (haha, dunno=don't know). I type over 100 words per minutre and still abbreviate. clear as mud, eh?
#3 of 21 Old 09-07-2006, 08:23 PM

and still make typos a lot too (typographical errors). heheh. and I noticed I typed emoti w/out meaning to do so, and left some words misspelled. emoticons, aren't they? see, some of it just grows on you...

and I type faster than I edit.

#4 of 21 Old 09-07-2006, 08:24 PM

I don't mind the usual: LOL, brb, TAO, bf, ds, etc etc.... But when people start abbreviating every other thing, it drives me nuts.
#5 of 21 Old 09-07-2006, 08:26 PM

I don't mind a lot of them. Especially abbv. because I have a hard time spelling that word. I don't type nearly as quickly as phishmama, probably around 60 wpm with few spelling errors, I can type faster, but I make more mistakes.

I like alot of the abbv's actually. Easier to say EDD than "esimated due date" or BFing, CDing....ect.

~Autumn~   Mama to whistling.gif (2001) and hearts.gif(2005) partners.gif madly in love since '99 
#6 of 21 Old 09-07-2006, 08:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I downloaded the spell checker and use it when I remember to. but some words I dont type all the way out. As long as the meaning comes across I honestly dont see a problem. I consider it a type of message board speak to abbriviate words.

SAHM
lovin'
to
DD 10/00 &

DS 10/04
If your son is intact, keep him safe, visit the Intact Care forum
Circ, a personal choice, Your SONS

11/98
6/99
Thyroid cancer survivor. With 5
& 2 Boxers
wishing for

#7 of 21 Old 09-07-2006, 08:42 PM

See, I always *thought* message boards were fair game for typos, abbreviations, and typos. It is usually light conversations, and witty banter. But not to all. Some people, we'll call them the grammar police, hate typos, and I do mean hate. Some can't stand abbreviations. Some can't stand me. : heheh. I've been here too long to leave, sorry. put me on ignore. It is a neat feature I've never bothered with but might help you w/your porblem w/me and my mouth. Anyhoooo, yep, just like those two non words, I am here. and that wink. danged me. I AM annoying!!!! :

I'm leaving my typos too. cuz I'm lazy and a smart tail like that. :

emotis ARE fun!!!! wheeeeee!

eta: ok, so I fixed like TWO things. ok 3, b/c one made a sentence flow better. but I'm leaving the rest! I might just add another to balance it!! The rest I left. point and laugh at will.
#8 of 21 Old 09-07-2006, 08:56 PM

It only bugs me when it prevents me form knowing what is going on. On FSOT, for example, and on other trading sites it is sometimes hard to know what is for for sale and sometimes the abbreviations are pretty obscure.

I mean seriously, I cannot buy CD's or baby-wearing items if I don't know a list of dozens of abbreviations.
#9 of 21 Old 09-07-2006, 09:28 PM

I hated all the abbreviations when I first started looking into CDing. I mean, I got dizzy just figuring out the abbreviations and actually printed out the list so I could refer to it when looking for diapers.

Some abbreviations just take me longer to realize what they are, like HTH... and OTOH... I'm back and forth with using s/one or s/thing. I got really used to using those for someone or something, and if I'm NAK, I'll use those, otherwise, I type it out for... exercise?
#10 of 21 Old 09-07-2006, 09:30 PM

Truthfully, I hate the ubiquitous DD, DH, etc. To me these sorts of abbreviations feel disrespectful, like the person is not valued enough to have their name or relationship (i.e. "husband") actually typed out. (And I wouldn't like reading something my husband wrote referring to me as "DW.") I realize that is not the intent of the people who use them, but they still bother me.
#11 of 21 Old 09-07-2006, 10:07 PM

I don't mind at all and sometimes I have to refrain from accidentally saying "dh" IRL I read right past the abbreviations like they are real words and hardly notice them. Dh and I IM all day and we use even more abbreviations that I have to be careful not to use here because I don't know if everyone knows them or if we made them up

mommy to ds 11/05, dd1 01/08, and dd2 01/10!
#12 of 21 Old 09-07-2006, 10:10 PM

i use them alot,CD,BF,TTYL,BRB,PLZ,YK,LMAO,JK,IMO,HB,UC, its just easier....LOL

We may not have it all together, but together we have it all , Loving their daddy, my hubby, our soldier
#13 of 21 Old 09-08-2006, 12:55 AM

I don't mind at all now, but for the longest time, after I first joined, I didn't know what the heck anyone was talking about when there were any abbreviations involved at all. It only took me 3000 posts but I know most of them now.
#14 of 21 Old 09-08-2006, 02:02 AM

it was hard to figure them out at first but not annoying just confusing. some thing still trip me up. fwiw, hth i always have to stop and think about for a minute. a few others also.

bf annoys me just b/c i like to spell out breastfeeding just make the point yk?

abbv do make naking easier. i have actually said dh irl before.
#15 of 21 Old 09-08-2006, 02:51 AM

I just wrote a long post and then deleted it because I figured that it sounded mean. But I have to say that I HATE the loose, silly writing that seems to follow the use of acronyms. Did you REALLY just laugh out loud? Then why did you write it? Or, worse, TWICE?
#16 of 21 Old 09-08-2006, 02:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekimballs
Did you REALLY just laugh out loud? Then why did you write it? Or, worse, TWICE?
Usually. But I don't use LOL too often.
#17 of 21 Old 09-08-2006, 02:57 AM

The ones that bug me are the ones like "ur" for your and "b" for be, stuff like that, the ones that seem like 13 year olds on IM, that bugs me. The common ackronyms like DH, DS, IYKWIM, HTH, stuff like that doesn't bug me so much and are actually pretty helpful. It's when the poster sounds like a kid in jr high that I get annoyed. Half the time I either skip the post or try to figure out if they are a real member or just some kid. I say lol sometimes and usually I am actually laughing, that's when I write it lol! HTH
#18 of 21 Old 09-08-2006, 03:05 AM

Quote:
I just wrote a long post and then deleted it because I figured that it sounded mean. But I have to say that I HATE the loose, silly writing that seems to follow the use of acronyms. Did you REALLY just laugh out loud? Then why did you write it? Or, worse, TWICE?
I did laugh out loud at your post. And my DD is sleeping next to me and stirred when I laughed. ?
#19 of 21 Old 09-08-2006, 04:24 AM

it only bugs me when someone types their posts like a text message:

U = You
UR = You are / You're

etc...

Other then that, some other things are the incorrect usage of the There, Their, and They're and Too, To, and Two and double negatives.

But, other then that, punctuation and other abbreviations aren't a big deal.
#20 of 21 Old 09-08-2006, 04:26 AM

stuff like g2g see u l8r is annoying. What's up with 2 anyway? When did we get so lazy we needed to abreviate a two letter word?!

I'm a modifiedartist.gif DH is a reading.gif we have 2 angel.gifs, and DS is a rainbow1284.gif baby.gif
#21 of 21 Old 09-08-2006, 04:28 AM

Quote:
I am guilty of the overuse of lol.

It's even managed to slip into real-life conversations. :

I'm a modifiedartist.gif DH is a reading.gif we have 2 angel.gifs, and DS is a rainbow1284.gif baby.gif

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page