Insecure with ILs? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 1 Old 09-20-2006, 11:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
OK, this is going to sound really strange and I'm not sure what I'm looking for. Maybe I just need to let it out, maybe I need advice how to deal with things, maybe I just need a hug. So any of the above would be welcome.

Dh and I just moved back to MA, where we lived about 5 years ago for about 3 years, but a ways away from dh's family. Dh's family is all in MA, in the same area, and he is the youngest of 8. They are a pretty close nit group. They also tend to be very traditional. OUt of 22 grandchildren, my three are the only ones who have been breastfed, cosleep, sling, ect, ect. And all but one of my sil have had sections to deliver their babies. I also have 2 breast feeding stickers on my minivan. So I am definately the odd one out.

They have always been pretty nice to me. I have one sil who is relatively snarky, but really more in a teasing way than a mean way. One sil is a bit more my way of thinking with natural cures, etc. But in general, I always feel like the weird one, and am relatively uncomfortable at large family gatherings when dh isn't there. It doesn't help that my boys are on a special diet, and I often have to bring their own food, which I know they think is weird too, and I don't treat my son with attention problems with medication like one of my nephews is treated.

I think it is also the fact that they have been together for a really long time, and I am sort of new. So I'm not sure how much of this is in my head and how much is real. I am trying really hard to be more social with them and try to get over my insecurities, because I am going to continue to do things the way I do them regardless of what they think...but I still want them to like me! Because even though we do things differently, I really like them!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page