i want reccomendations - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 1 Old 10-08-2006, 02:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
of good blogs, books, resouces about class and gender issues in current, contemporary times. I am reading a book right now that was written in the early 1900s and aside from general integration of women in the workplace i dont see how things have changed as far as some cultural expectations. for instance, if i go to school and have a kid i am "taking too much on" and possibly "neglecting my child" because my mind is in more than one place, thus emnotionally abandoning my child, but if a man has a career or goes to school and has a kid they are " being a good dad" because they are investing in thier childs physical well being, financially supporting them, etc.

and secondly, i have encountered class issues in artist and writing communities that i cant quite place and i am not sure how to put words to it... but basically working-class art , made by working -class poeple has a much harder time getting noticed or approved of than " upper class" art. i am sure these things are being discussed, i just dont know where to start so if anyone has anything to throw my way, let me know...

this question is being spurred by the fact that i am in an American Lit class and these issues were written about alot in the early 1900s and it is kind of freaky that not much has changed...but some things have... but really, we are so close to the era when lynching was a pastime like a baseball game, and women were still literally being told what to say/think/wear by men ( just watch any Cary Grant movie) . things may be better in many ways, but i feel like cultural ideals have barely shifted. even on Democracy Now the other day they were talking about how some giant percentage of news sources ( even on PBS news) are white males. so... where can i go learn more?

thanks!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page