The Official 2006/2007 Holiday Helper Thread - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2467 Old 11-01-2006, 10:11 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
PLEASE READ TO THE END BEFORE PMING!

IF YOU ARE A HELPER MOM DO NOT REGISTER WITH THE DATABASE!! ONLY MIN HAVE TO REGISTER!!!

As some of you may know, every year around the holidays we have had a little something here at MDC known as the Holiday Helper/Needy Mom thread. It started four years ago by a simple post by Tracy and morphed quickly into something quite magical - MDC moms helping MDC moms. Run by Tracy and Gemini, the Holiday Helper Thread was able to help 35 moms its first year. It's second yearit helped 110 moms. Last year, 158! This year.. who knows? The sky is the limit!

We have the same volunteers this year as last year. I will be handling the processing and Canadian AND American Gift Cards. Stacey (Stacey0402) along with the help of Brandi (KayleeZoo), will be handling Gently Used Items. Chelsea (PadmaMorgana) will be handing the Canadian Gently Used Items. Suzie (Sovereignqueen) is taking care of our PayPal donations.

This year we have NO postage fairy. If you cannot afford to send your gently used items, then we are sorry.

The big news this year is we have a database. Thank you to Jennifer_Z and her DH! They have been working very hard on this on their weekends and evenings and will continue to work on it as wel work out any kinks there might be. Thank you so much!

Help us make this a memorable year for everyone involved. Spread the word at MDC!!! Get your friends and family involved. No GC is too small, make something, donate something, even that bit of PayPal you have!

What the heck is going on here?
The concept is simple: MDC moms who have a little extra will be helping MDC moms who need a little help this holiday season. There are several ways to help. Some will purchase gift certificates. Some will send their gently used items. Some will do both. Some will make gifts and send them to our Moms-In-Need. Some will donate extra PayPal for postage or to be combined with more donated PP and be turned into a much needed gift certificate!

Who do we help?

We help Moms-In-Need (MIN) at MDC.

MOMS IN NEED

I think I might be a needy mom, what are the rules?

If you are a needy mom---you must be a member of MDC for six months with 150 posts PRIOR to November 1, 2006.

If you don’t fit that criteria I am sorry but you can not participate as a needy mom.

I am a Mom-In-Need. What next?
In years past we had MIN PM the organizer. This year we have a database! If you are a MIN you to can go to http://www.spatulagirl.com/holidayhelper/ and register.

Please note that registration is pending until we approve it. That means we will check out your post count and membership length before approving. We will also only approve so many a day. The first 50 people will be approved first and after they have been helped we will continue to approve people on a daily basis.

Please do not register more than once. When you have received an email saying you have been approved, that means you are on the Active List and are being matched with helpers. You may also update your list as you see the need. No need to PM any of the organizers to make changes, you can do it yourself. If you have not received a confirmation email saying you have been approved to the list that means you are on the pending list.

After we have paired a FIN with enough helpers they will be taken off the Active List and new FIN will be approved to take their place. Members on the pending list will then receive an email from Kate with their login and confirmation number.

CANADIAN FIN/MIN: We have a database for you! Please go to http://www.spatulagirl.com/holidayhelpercanada and sign up!

Saying Thank You
This has been much debated here at MDC. We do NOT require thank you's. But they do mean a lot to some people so please keep that in mind.

We encourage helper moms to use DC if they want to be sure their packages arrive. You also have the option of including a self addressed stamped envelope or postcard for the FIN to fill out when your package arrives. MIN/FIN who wish to remain anonymous may PM Stacey, Chelsea or Kate with their thank you and we will post them in an official "Thank You Thread".

We ask that everyone remember the spirit of the holidays and the good feelings associated with giving.

How long do I have to register

This FIN sign up closes on November 14 at Noon EST. We will take no more needy moms after that time. We will however, work like a dog to make sure there are enough Helper Moms for all Moms-In-Need so requests for helpers will go beyond November 14.

HOLIDAY HELPERS

IF YOU ARE A HELPER MOM DO NOT REGISTER WITH THE DATABASE!! ONLY MIN HAVE TO REGISTER!!!

Am I responsible for one mom and her family?
No. We will pair up to five Helper Moms for every MIN. We will assign gift cards and gently used items as needed to all out MINs.

Who do we PM about donating gift certificates?
Please send Kate (spatulagirl) a PM with "GC HELPER"in the RE line. I will send you info about a needy mom.

You can also go to http://www.spatulagirl.com/holidayhelper/ and click on the helper link. You should be able to search for FIN (who will remain anonymous of course!) and ask to be paired with a certain FIN. TO be paired with a MIN in the USA, then contact Kate (spatulagirl) or Stacey (stacey0402) with the number of the mom you would like to help.

CANADIAN Gift Card Helpers: Please PM Kate (spatulagirl) to donate a gift card.

Who do we PM about donating gently used items
You should send a PM to Stacey0402 and tell her what you can send. Please title the PM "GUI HELPER". She will hook you up with the right needy mom.

You can also go to http://www.spatulagirl.com/holidayhelper/ for a list of needed gently used items.

CANADIAN GUI HELPERS - Please PM PadmaMorgana as she is handling all our Canadian Gently Used Items. If you are a Canadian donating gift cards please PM spatulagirl.

You can see a list of needed items here:

http://www.spatulagirl.com/holidayhe...ada/helper.php

Postage?
Please take into account postage for your box. This year we have no postage fairy. We are sorry, we cannot help with postage.

Please, if you have got a really heavy box or a big huge box, that may cost you a lot. Take a look at this UPS link to get an idea of costs.

http://wwwapps.ups.com/calTimeCost?loc=en_US

Who do we PM about donating extra PayPal?
Maybe you have a few dollars in your PayPal account. Maybe it is just a bit of spare change. If twenty people send us their spare PayPal change or a few dollars that is a gift certificate for a Mom-In-Need!

You don't even need to PM anyone! Just send your PayPal donations to: MDCneedies@aol.com

All money received to this account will go to helping MDC MIN.

Please PM Sovereignqueen with any questions.

Confidentiality?

It is important to know that we keep this confidential. Helpers you will be given the name and address and email of a MIN but you will not be told her MDC name. Helper Moms are also kept confidential.

FIN and Helpers have every right to choose whether you want to remain anonymous or not.

Can I see what this looked like in years past?

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...ighlight=needy
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...Holiday+Helper

Please, if you can help…Do! Get everyone you know involved, friends, family, coworkers. Every little bit helps make the holidays brighter for another family.

We also ask that everyone who reads this PLEASE link to this thread in their signature. Please do not spam forums but spread the word through your posts and siggy. We do give you permission to spam your family and friends though

Mom to 4! Welcomed Aila Wren on Friday, February 25th!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 2467 Old 11-01-2006, 10:21 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Thank you so much for the information and thanks for everyone who is helping get this going!

#3 of 2467 Old 11-01-2006, 10:46 AM

Are we allowed to link this thread in our sigs?

Thank you to all who are making this possible!

Blessings,
Liz
#4 of 2467 Old 11-01-2006, 10:48 AM - Thread Starter

Link away! Encourage others to link too. We are just not allowed to spam other forums. So link and then start posting everywhere you can!

#5 of 2467 Old 11-01-2006, 10:56 AM

I've been trying to do the fancy (shortened) link that you did but it's not happening. Help!
#6 of 2467 Old 11-01-2006, 11:08 AM

Will there be a list of the needs of the Canadian FIN/MIN ?? (for new and/or GUI ?)

Valérie   
#7 of 2467 Old 11-01-2006, 11:11 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valérie.Qc View Post
Will there be a list of the needs of the Canadian FIN/MIN ?? (for new and/or GUI ?)
Yes there will. When we get a list going, I will post it online on my site like I did last year

I will update the OP when we get that going but more than likely it will be:

www.spatulagirl.com/canadianholidayhelper.html

#8 of 2467 Old 11-01-2006, 11:15 AM

I pm'd you but in case your just refreshing this post, so the Canadian FIN's just pm you and that's it, no info needed at this point? (sorry it's early and I'm tired) *yawn*
#9 of 2467 Old 11-01-2006, 11:18 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by babygrant View Post
I pm'd you but in case your just refreshing this post, so the Canadian FIN's just pm you and that's it, no info needed at this point? (sorry it's early and I'm tired) *yawn*
It is early for you!

Canadian MIN PM me and I will check their post count/membership. When approved IW ill send them a questionaire to fill out and then add them to the list.

#10 of 2467 Old 11-01-2006, 11:36 AM

I am so excited!!

I have to figure out what all I have - I have a lot of things stockpiled right now. I will be PMing!
#11 of 2467 Old 11-01-2006, 11:41 AM

thanks you so much for everyones work and effort..i hope this year helps everyone get the help they need..How can we add a link to our siggy?

We may not have it all together, but together we have it all , Loving their daddy, my hubby, our soldier
#12 of 2467 Old 11-01-2006, 11:46 AM

Ok..i'm ready

The first rule of homeschooling: water the plants! :
#13 of 2467 Old 11-01-2006, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *MAMACITA* View Post
thanks you so much for everyones work and effort..i hope this year blows everyone get the help they need..How can we add a link to our siggy?
the image is in the smile list...and then you can just hyper link it to this thread
#14 of 2467 Old 11-01-2006, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OdeToJoy View Post
I've been trying to do the fancy (shortened) link that you did but it's not happening. Help!
(url=http://www.mothering.com/discussions/showthread.php?t=550285)Holiday Helpers(/url)

Or with the smilie:
(url=http://www.mothering.com/discussions/showthread.php?t=550285)/url)

Just change ( to [ and ) to ].

Wife of 1. Mom of 3. Conquering disability challenges, one achievement at a time.

#15 of 2467 Old 11-01-2006, 12:30 PM
Banned

I'm ready..

Well I need a bit of help organizing all the stuff I have lol.

I can pop any time after the 14th, I'll do my best.....
#16 of 2467 Old 11-01-2006, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullofgrace View Post
(url=http://www.mothering.com/discussions/showthread.php?t=550285)Holiday Helpers(/url)

Or with the smilie:
(url=http://www.mothering.com/discussions/showthread.php?t=550285)/url)

Just change ( to [ and ) to ].
Argh, it's just not working for me!
#17 of 2467 Old 11-01-2006, 12:40 PM

humm stacy, it won't let me logg in??? am i doing something wrong?

We may not have it all together, but together we have it all , Loving their daddy, my hubby, our soldier
#18 of 2467 Old 11-01-2006, 12:42 PM

try this...
go into edit your siggy
add the holiday helper icon to your siggy
highlight it
click on the little hyperlink icon with a globe above the text box
insert this in the box http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=550285
ETA: ugh!! okay...don't just copy and paste it...you need the whole thread title. Try clicking on it so it opens in a new window and copying the url from there

hope that helps
#19 of 2467 Old 11-01-2006, 12:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by *MAMACITA* View Post
humm stacy, it won't let me logg in??? am i doing something wrong?
I am Kate Email me at kate@spatulagirl.com

I *think* it is having problems with non letters and numbers. I need your error message to forward to our database guy

#20 of 2467 Old 11-01-2006, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spatulagirl View Post
I am Kate Email me at kate@spatulagirl.com

I *think* it is having problems with non letters and numbers. I need your error message to forward to our database guy
iM sooooo sry Kate : ..it just goes blank..there is no error message??

#21 of 2467 Old 11-01-2006, 12:49 PM

I went to the site and clicked on helper....guess I have to wait until there are mamas to help.

~Beth, mama to two amazing girls, ages 12 and 6~

#22 of 2467 Old 11-01-2006, 12:50 PM
Banned

I think it has to do with the new software, you are probably going over 2 lines in their thingie, you'll have to edit out some of your stuff...
#23 of 2467 Old 11-01-2006, 12:51 PM

Thanks Grace!
#24 of 2467 Old 11-01-2006, 12:52 PM

I tried both ways Kate and ther not working

#25 of 2467 Old 11-01-2006, 12:55 PM

Amanda, I think it is because of the length of your signature. The software will yell at you if it goes over 2 lines. Try shrinking your font to 1 and see if that helps (it usually does). Also, use the smilie since it takes up less length, and make sure your total smilies = 8 or less.

Wife of 1. Mom of 3. Conquering disability challenges, one achievement at a time.

#26 of 2467 Old 11-01-2006, 01:03 PM

OOps sry i was actually talking abotu loggin logging to the the helper/fin thread.

#27 of 2467 Old 11-01-2006, 01:04 PM

Oh well. Maybe it'll help someone out who has trouble linking in their siggy.

#28 of 2467 Old 11-01-2006, 01:10 PM

LOL

still having trouble adding the lonk to my siggy tho

#29 of 2467 Old 11-01-2006, 01:27 PM - Thread Starter

Did you get my email? I had no problems logging in as you and sent directions as to what I did.

#30 of 2467 Old 11-01-2006, 01:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiestabeth View Post
I went to the site and clicked on helper....guess I have to wait until there are mamas to help.
We don't have that part of the database running yet Hopefully soon!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page