best fuel efficient car for inner city driving? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-29-2006, 05:21 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
i have heard the hybrids do v. well on gas mileage on highways?

what would be the best kind of car that would be good for short distance where not much freeway is involved?

all this while i was thinking of a hybrid but then i read their stats were not as efficient for a say max 20 minute drive at 45 in general - or 30 mins at 70.

any suggestions. wehre would i find this info?

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2006, 05:24 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Consumer Reports?

One of my hubby's relatives has a Toyota Prius and loves it. It gets great gas mileage, not sure about the freeway/city driving though.

Mama to my spirited J, and L, my homebirth: baby especially DTaP, MMR (family vax injuries)
Old 12-29-2006, 05:26 AM

I wish I had a hybrid!

Right now, I'm finding my little cavalier to be quite efficient!

Have you seen those white, open sided cars that Alicia Silverstone drives around L.A.?
Old 12-29-2006, 02:54 PM

I was just reading about hybrids. They get the best gas mileage with stop and go driving, like around town. If I remember correctly, the battery charges while the car is stopped.
Old 12-29-2006, 03:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by InstinctiveMama View Post
I was just reading about hybrids. They get the best gas mileage with stop and go driving, like around town. If I remember correctly, the battery charges while the car is stopped.
i believe its the opposite. not sure the technical reasons. stop and go traffic requires more fuel? :

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
Old 12-29-2006, 04:06 PM

Old 12-29-2006, 04:07 PM

the gas engine shuts off when the car is stopped/idling. the battery charges while driving. also, when you accelerate, the electric engine helps the gas engine.

what about biodiesel? we have a hybrid right now, and live in the city. i want to do biodiesel someday.
Old 12-29-2006, 05:10 PM - Thread Starter

nicole thanks for the link. its great to get an overview but it doesnt help with the inner city driving mpg. i know for sure it comes down to regular car mpg because i have read a lot of reviews (so i am not buying the 60 they write there). but what i like are the air pollution and emissions score adn i wonder with a lower mpg if those figures stay the same.

thanks for the link. i hadnt thougth about getting actual figures for pollution and greehhouse gas.

delicious i would love to do biodiesel but this is research for someone else and i dont think they would take the trouble to tring to find a place that sells biodiesel. i am assuming biodiesel is not teh same as regular diesel.

otherwise i am also comparing diesel cars to see how they compare.

Old 12-29-2006, 05:46 PM

Can you go electric? I mean that would be the best for such short trips at low speed.
Old 12-29-2006, 06:14 PM

This is that thing I was talking about:
Alicia Silverstone is known for driving it around L.A.

http://www.nevco-ev.com/about_nevs.htm

It goes 40mph and plugs in to a standard 110v outlets
Old 12-29-2006, 06:26 PM - Thread Starter

arduinna and nicole woohoo when my dream car starts production of its electric model i am gonna get it. i jsut discovered this link so i am v. excited.

http://www.worldcarfans.com/news.cfm...-electric-mini

but this person who i am doing the research for is going to consider it as too much hassle to go get charged. plus on rare occasions he is gonna take it on long rides.

Old 12-29-2006, 06:41 PM

I want, I want!!!
Old 12-29-2006, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meemee View Post
i have heard the hybrids do v. well on gas mileage on highways?

what would be the best kind of car that would be good for short distance where not much freeway is involved?

all this while i was thinking of a hybrid but then i read their stats were not as efficient for a say max 20 minute drive at 45 in general - or 30 mins at 70.

any suggestions. wehre would i find this info?
You have it backwards. Hybrids get better mileage in town than on the highway.
Old 12-30-2006, 01:06 AM
A&A

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by meemee View Post
i believe its the opposite. not sure the technical reasons. stop and go traffic requires more fuel? :
Depends on the hybrid. Some do better in the city, some do better on the highway.

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."
Old 12-30-2006, 05:00 AM

My hybrid Prius i.n general does better on the highways than in stop and go, but not by much. THere's maybe a 4-5 mpg difference, on average

Variables that affect mpg include topography (flat city or hilly?), temperature (the A/C cuts down on efficiency, your driving style (if you have a gentle foot, you can keep it in electric mode longer), and how much weight you have in the car.

If I were solely looking for in-city driving, I would definitely try to find an electric vehicle.
Old 12-30-2006, 12:39 PM
A&A

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaydee View Post
My hybrid Prius i.n general does better on the highways than in stop and go, but not by much. THere's maybe a 4-5 mpg difference, on average

But the Prius is so efficient that it's still your best bet for city OR highway driving (but it's kind of small...you'll only get four people in there.) Or the Honda Insight, but that's only a two-seater.

Old 12-30-2006, 02:14 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
is the person you're researching for in arnie land, too? if so i don't think biodiesel is much of an option at least as far as getting a new vehicle. it's my understanding that Cali is not too enamored of diesels in general because of the particulate emissions from dirty petro diesel. i'd go hybrid.

Mamatreehugger.gif to two girl beans, Feb 2001hearts.gif and Nov 2003coolshine.gif . DH geek.gif, and two crazydog2.gifdog2.gif . Running on biodiesel since 2004!

"All you fascists are bound to lose" — Woody Guthrie
Old 12-31-2006, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A&A View Post
But the Prius is so efficient that it's still your best bet for city OR highway driving (but it's kind of small...you'll only get four people in there.) Or the Honda Insight, but that's only a two-seater.
Depending on the size of the people, the Prius may seat 5. We can do 4 adults and 1 child, although 3 adults and 2 kids would be more comfortable.

I think the Insight isn't sold new any more, but used models may be available.
Old 12-31-2006, 12:38 PM

good luck finding one, but a VW diesel. There aren't any 2007 due to change in laws, but you can find 06 Jettas. Used VW golfs are going way above Kelly Blue Book. The upside--those things are built like a tank. You'll easily get over 200,000 miles with pretty minimal repairs.
Old 12-31-2006, 05:24 PM
A&A

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheer mom View Post
good luck finding one, but a VW diesel. There aren't any 2007 due to change in laws, but you can find 06 Jettas. Used VW golfs are going way above Kelly Blue Book. The upside--those things are built like a tank. You'll easily get over 200,000 miles with pretty minimal repairs.
The emissions on a hybrid are much better than on a diesel.

Old 12-31-2006, 07:33 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
if you google +hybrid +biodiesel +emissions you'll find different viewpoints. one article i read off the first page said that if you're buying new go hybrid, but another said that the life cycle carbon dioxide emissions of a jetta running b100 would beat a prius. it's kinda confusing, but in general biodiesel has less emissions than regular diesel. you throw the hybrids into the mix and it becomes a little murkier especially if you consider the fact of buying a used vehicle vs buying a new one and the impact that the manufacturing of vehicles has. at any rate i have the vague impression that diesel is not looked on favorably in California and perhaps biodiesel is hard to come by because of that. i really haven't looked into it, but if you're interested in tracking that info down following the link in my sig might not be a bad place to start.

Mamatreehugger.gif to two girl beans, Feb 2001hearts.gif and Nov 2003coolshine.gif . DH geek.gif, and two crazydog2.gifdog2.gif . Running on biodiesel since 2004!

"All you fascists are bound to lose" — Woody Guthrie
Old 01-01-2007, 06:05 PM

Quote:

The OP didn't ask about emmissions. And I'm sure that I could dig up a million articles that would dispute your theory. (Oh, and I'm a former policy research analyst, so I could find a million articles. )

To the OP are you looking for a new or used vehicle? How many do you need to seat? What is your timeline? Price range? This all factor into the equation. For example I've read that the extra expense for the Toyota Highlander Hybrid is not worth it. The camry's have waiting lists that are several months long. There are many regular cars that get great gas mileage. My friend just got a Honda Fit and she loves it.
Old 01-01-2007, 06:24 PM

I drive a Prius. It gets about 40 to 45 mpg average. Seems to do better with city driving, marginally so. At low speeds you're mostly using the electric motor, which obviously lowers your gas usage. The best mileage we've gotten has been in heavy stop and go traffic, in which the gas motor nearly never kicks on.

We have a childseat in the center of the backseat, which takes up about as much room as an average adult, and can still seat 2 adults back there, so I think seating for five would be accurate.

User Tag List