please help me answer a question.... - Mothering Forums

#1 of 41 Old 01-27-2007, 01:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
i have a theory that seems to be true from the people that i talk to that moms tend to click ad graphics that are cute, crisp and colorful and stay away from ugly and unprofessional looking ads.

i also think that we tend to click ads for products more than opportunities (such as work-at-home opportunities...unless, of course, you are actually looking for a wah opportunity i suppose), but this is something i really don't have a lot of input on.

can y'all please share with me if either of these things is correct with you and what other factors make you actually pay attention to an ad graphic and ignore others? i'm thinking specifically of things like the banner ads at the top of this page and such.

so, what makes you click and not click on ads? i'd like as much input on this as i can get! thanks a bunch!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 41 Old 01-27-2007, 01:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Trendy color combos get me. Like brown and pink or brown and blue. Like the new mayawrap website. Also, photos, not cartoons. Extra points if the photos are of cute babies!
#3 of 41 Old 01-27-2007, 01:54 PM

If the product being advertised interests me. I don't pay much attention to graphics or color schemes. In fact, I hate blinky flashing obnoxious ads.

I like ads that are simple and easy to read.

#4 of 41 Old 01-27-2007, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquishyKitty View Post
If the product being advertised interests me. I don't pay much attention to graphics or color schemes. In fact, I hate blinky flashing obnoxious ads.

I like ads that are simple and easy to read.
Me, too. Now, if something is funny - I'll click on it.
#5 of 41 Old 01-27-2007, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoMama View Post
Me, too. Now, if something is funny - I'll click on it.
I was just going to say that. I will click on ads if they're clever or witty. And no animated cartoons. This is making me look up at the banner ads now!
#6 of 41 Old 01-27-2007, 02:36 PM

Personally, I have never clicked on an ad in my internet life. No matter what they may really say, what I read when I see them is...SUCKER!
#7 of 41 Old 01-27-2007, 03:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinemama View Post
Personally, I have never clicked on an ad in my internet life. No matter what they may really say, what I read when I see them is...SUCKER!
really? even the wahm sites? there are some really awesome wahm products and businesses out there... how do you learn about those businesses then? maybe more word of mouth? if you were going to click on an ad, what would be most likely to catch your eye and make you want to learn more? i realize this is going to be somewhat different for different people...but i really like how this discussion is really enlightening me on how we moms think and act regarding ads...

for me personally...i really love to see cute, crisp, colorful ads (as mentioned in the original post), particularly if its for children's products....i agree with others that if its whitty or funny, it might appeal to me...but i'm a very visual person and so i am more apt to click on a graphic that is attractive to me though.
#8 of 41 Old 01-27-2007, 03:06 PM

I tend to click on professional looking ones as opposed to cutesy ones.

Nice color combos also attract me. I like clean lines, not cluttered, and fresh looking.
#9 of 41 Old 01-27-2007, 03:26 PM

Quote:
I would agree with the above
#10 of 41 Old 01-27-2007, 03:30 PM

Quote:
I have never clicked on an internet ad (on MDC or anywhere else) either. How do you know who is reputable vs. who will just take your cc number and run?

Makes absolutely no difference if it is cute vs. professional, which colors, or products vs. services. I don't click. The super fast flashy ones are more annoying than all the others, but I don't click on any of them so I'm not much help.

The only way I'd do business with a WAHM is if I personally knew someone who had done business with her and it went well.
#11 of 41 Old 01-27-2007, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinawoman View Post
really? even the wahm sites? there are some really awesome wahm products and businesses out there... how do you learn about those businesses then?
Well, I don't learn about them. I don't feel the need to. I've been getting along great without them so far; why should I bring more stuff into my life?
I'm sure some of those businesses are great and that they make wonderful stuff. But I don't come on the internet to go shopping, just like I don't buy a magazine to read the ads.

Also, I'm reluctant to buy most things over the internet. With the exception of books, where I know exactly what I'm getting.
#12 of 41 Old 02-09-2007, 03:04 PM - Thread Starter

i would love to hear from more of you on this....can y'all help me keep this thread going? the longer, the better...need lots of feedback...
#13 of 41 Old 02-09-2007, 03:13 PM

Honestly, I don't even notice the ads. Maybe if I was online just to "kill time" I'd be more inclined. But my online time is limited and I usually just read a few posts and then log off again.

With all the uproar about the ads being added to the site, I have to say that I completely block them out and it is a nonissue for me - except for getting used to a smaller window for viewing threads.

If I were shopping for something specific, I might look at ads. In which case they would need to look professional and not look like they were trying too hard to catch my attention (flashing, moving) and not sound "too good to be true." I prefer to find my companies through word of mouth.

Proud mom to superhero.gifds2 (7/05), angel2.gif ds 1 (born into heaven at 38 weeks 11/03), and 5 more angels angel.gif (4/02) angel.gif (7/10) angel.gifangel.gif (11/10) angel.gif (11/12)

#14 of 41 Old 02-09-2007, 03:23 PM

I never notice the ads. Ever. And I don't click on them either. It's one of those things I've learned to "tune out" after years of surfing the 'net.
#15 of 41 Old 02-09-2007, 03:24 PM

I don't click on ads with any intent to actually look at them. If I know a website/forum gets revenue from clickthroughs, I'll click through, click once or twice on that site, then close the window. I don't actually *look* at them, I just click randomly. If I know the hosting forum only gets paid for purchases, I don't click at all.

As for WAHM businesses (or ANY business), I prefer word of mouth or reviews posted elsewhere. I dislike internet ads immensely. In fact, I'm more likely to buy from a small business which doesn't advertise obtrusively.

Chasing DS since April 2007 and pumping for DD March 2013.

#16 of 41 Old 02-09-2007, 03:33 PM

I'm another "never clicked on an add" girl here. If i'm looking for a specific product or service then I will search for it myself.

But then I'm not much of an impuls shopper irl either. If I want something, I go and get it but I don't shop for fun.

Let there be beauty and strength, power and compassion, honor and humility, mirth and reverence within you.)0(
#17 of 41 Old 02-09-2007, 03:34 PM

Quote:

I don't feel any particular obligation to buy stuff from WAHMs as compared to any other business.
#18 of 41 Old 02-09-2007, 03:36 PM

I never click on ads. I hate advertising altogether, and if an ad pops up or scrolls across the screen, I find the "close" icon as quickly as possible and get rid of it.

We actually don't have TV in our house (no cable/antenna/satellite, but yes a TV to watch movies on etc.) because I can't stand commercials. Oh, and TV news, which is almost as bad!

I don't think anything could possibly tempt me to click on an online ad!

Julia
dd 10 mos
#19 of 41 Old 02-09-2007, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocelyndale View Post
I don't click on ads with any intent to actually look at them. If I know a website/forum gets revenue from clickthroughs, I'll click through, click once or twice on that site, then close the window. I don't actually *look* at them, I just click randomly. If I know the hosting forum only gets paid for purchases, I don't click at all.
Does MDC get revenue from clickthroughs?

Proud mom to superhero.gifds2 (7/05), angel2.gif ds 1 (born into heaven at 38 weeks 11/03), and 5 more angels angel.gif (4/02) angel.gif (7/10) angel.gifangel.gif (11/10) angel.gif (11/12)

#20 of 41 Old 02-09-2007, 04:39 PM

Um... yeah. Good ads get a lot more business. This is not just a sideline or second thought activity. Advertizing, understanding ad appeal, logo design and marketing, etc. is a multi-billion dollar industry. Market research and advertzing research are very well funded and understood endeavors. If you are really interested, don't take a poll here (most people are not able to verbally articulate how an ad effects them, though many here did a good job!), start researching in professional advertizing techniques .
#21 of 41 Old 02-09-2007, 05:15 PM

I'm generally attracted to crisp (totally not pixelated) ads with lots of white space and a strong font. The simpler, the better. For example, when I click on the link in your sig, I'm instantly drawn to the Robeez ad (white space, simple, clear font) as opposed to the one above it (busy, can't read the title at all).

I click on appealing ads mainly for inspiration. I'm a graphic designer, and like immersing myself in good design.

I'm also more likely to click on ads for products, as opposed to services. I like "window shopping."
#22 of 41 Old 02-09-2007, 05:35 PM

I am not really an ad clicker.

I usually shop locally. When I shop online I generally know what I want and find it via a search engine or someplace we have a history with already.

Kim ~mom to one awesome dd (12)

#23 of 41 Old 02-13-2007, 07:20 PM - Thread Starter

great! keep the feedback coming, mamas!
#24 of 41 Old 02-18-2008, 06:03 AM - Thread Starter

can i get more feedback on this?
#25 of 41 Old 02-18-2008, 06:17 AM

For me the most important thing is that it tells you exactly what the site is about on the ad, and it isn't misleading, I hate clicking on a website completely unrelated to what the ad said.

Lu - A ten year plan is forming, here's hoping everything lines up
#26 of 41 Old 02-18-2008, 06:22 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
I don't care what the ad looks like, I click for ads that say clearance or a high % off items.

Unassisted birthing, atheist, WOHM to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids 17, 11, 6, 3
#27 of 41 Old 02-18-2008, 10:23 AM

I have never, ever clicked on an ad banner. Not once.

My connection is very slow (cell phone as modem), so anywhere that I can (such as MDC) I actually scroll down before any banners can even load. I know that I won't be interested, and there is a fair likelihood that I'll be assaulted by blinking, flashing banner ads- which can induce a migraine pretty easily.
#28 of 41 Old 02-18-2008, 10:28 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I don't usually click on ads. I would only click on ads with an actual photo(s) of what is being sold.

Mama, Artist, Mary Kay Consultant

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#29 of 41 Old 02-18-2008, 12:07 PM

I never click on ads. Where's the "bah humbug" smilie?
#30 of 41 Old 02-18-2008, 12:35 PM

i clicked on 2-3 mdc adds over the years. i think i closed the windows right away, as the sites weren't aesthetically appealing--clean and professional looking, well organised. I've never clicked on any adds outside of mdc. i shop a lot on-line, so that's not the issue. it is just i never pay attention to them.

the one i really want to click, but always forget, is the add about the mattresses and arsenic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page