Kids in wedding party, kidless reception - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#91 of 93 Old 02-03-2007, 09:50 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I've been to about 17 weddings that I remember. All of them had children present, even if it was just those in the wedding party. There was never any out of control children. Yes, they were out of the dance floor, when they were allowed, having a ball and entertaining everyone. Not during the bride and grooms dance obviously. Any baby or toddler crying was take out of the church. I don't think it sounds like the children were out of control, sounds to me like the parents were rude by not keeping a better eye on the children.

But yes, it is the bride and grooms choice to invite people. But it is rude for them to expect someone who is in the wedding party not to come to the reception, especially after inviting them! Wow! I know that I certainly woudn't allow my children to be treated that way. I agree that the OP should opt out of having the children in the wedding party.

#92 of 93 Old 02-05-2007, 03:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well, DH called his brother and let him know that the girls won't be coming to the wedding. DH said it would just be too difficult logistically for us. BIL seemed okay with it and said he thought someone would probably end up having a logistics problem.

So, I'm mostly relieved that they won't have to be in the wedding, but also a little sad that they won't be a part of a family celebration. If I'd had my 'druthers, we would have just all witnessed the ceremony as a family and gone on to celebrate the start of the happy couple's small, new family. Ah, well. I guess I'm just feeling sentimental these days. The last couple of months have seen life altering events among our family and friends, that have made me appreciate that life truly is short and precious.

Thanks again for all the feedback about this. I really do appreciate the support (and hearing the perspectives of all sides. ) There's more I wanted to say about some of the side issues brought up by this thread (weddings are such an emotional trigger, aren't they?) But I didn't want to cloud my judgment too much about the matter at hand. If someone starts a spin-off thread about any of this, will you let me know?

Oh, and I will definitely update again with how it all goes down in the end.
#93 of 93 Old 02-05-2007, 03:57 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
NONE of you go to the reception and if BIL or to be SIL ask why, tell 'em. That's simply ridiculous to have that many kids in your wedding and then exclude them from the festivities afterwards.

Jenn

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page