what's on your walls? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 26 Old 02-09-2007, 10:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i can't stand having bare walls.

in my kitchen, i have eleven things (pictures and recipes and other decorations) up...

and the rest of my home, i can't even count how much stuff i've put up.

so what's your preference ~~ do you like clean, bare walls..... or visual overload? (or, you know, i suppose there's a middle ground in there somewhere... )
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 26 Old 02-09-2007, 10:47 PM

We have a print of Van Gogh's Starry Night in the dining room. We also have a poster board Christmas tree that I made with the kids and haven't bothered to take down yet, but that doesn't count.

I made a latch-hook rug for dh when we were long-distance dating. It's a huge one of a moose. We've got it hanging in the living room.

That's it. I'd love to put up more stuff, but I never seem to get around to doing anything about it. I do want to get up the 8" X 10" baby pictures one day...

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#3 of 26 Old 02-09-2007, 10:52 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
There is a painting that my mom did of dd on the wall in the kitchen. We have some framed pictures (wedding pics, family portraits) in the dining room. I've got a bulletin board in my home office with my (ideal) daily schedule for housekeeping and homeschooling and pictures of the kids and dh on it.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
14yo ds   11yo dd  9yo ds and 7yo ds and 2yo ds  
#4 of 26 Old 02-09-2007, 10:57 PM

I forgot - we do have a calendar in the kitchen. I made it on the computer, and each month features a photo of a family member who has their birthday in that month. This month is my brother. All the famliy birthdays and anniversaries are also marked.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#5 of 26 Old 02-09-2007, 11:10 PM

My walls are pretty bare. I do have some stuff up, but really, I'm scared of hanging it all wrong!
#6 of 26 Old 02-09-2007, 11:13 PM

hmm, various art prints, and some blown up pics of the kids. and this really cool piece of wood with the last supper on it that was my grandparent's. oh, and one small beeswax impression. i love it. we also have a really big mirror, with a frame w a bunch of different colored tiles. its really pretty.
#7 of 26 Old 02-09-2007, 11:13 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I love bare walls!

My living room has one thing, sometimes we put a wreath over the fireplace. Nothing in the dining room or halls. Two bedrooms have nothing. My bedroom has one hanging. The kitchen is tiny, but has one magnetic wall where all my clutter (phone numbers, schedules, calendars, reminders, etc) hang. Otherwise- nothing.

My parents always say it looks like we just moved in. But in a small house it is nice to have someplace that is not cluttered!

Me.  With 1 spouse, 4 kids, 16 chickens, 74 matchbox cars, 968,562+ legos, a dishwasher waiting to be emptied, a washing machine waiting to be filled and a lost cup of tea in the house.

#8 of 26 Old 02-09-2007, 11:15 PM

All we have on our walls is TONS of pics of our son!

Mama to (DS 7) and (DD 5), wife to DH

#9 of 26 Old 02-09-2007, 11:17 PM

I go for the middle ground. For the main living area, I have some old Chinese meridian posters from my grandmother, I got them framed and put them up... that took up a lot of space right there, they are fairly unique and neutral colors. There's also some of my artwork (all b/w) up, but I want to take that down. My DH has some long framed photos above his desk, one is a pic of a mural and the second one are two similar pics of me lying down. And a random drawing of a Chinese opium den signed by Robert Anton Wilson though he didn't draw it, DH thinks it's very cool.

For the "dining room" we found three cheap prints of Russian fairy tales in a used bookstore while on a road trip. Framed them with dramatic black frames and put them up in a row, they work really well. Above that, there's a long piece of embroidered cloth from India that I got from my mother ages ago. We also stuck a neat colorful poster of a mandala on the edge of one of the counters and though it sounds funky, it works, so we kept it.

In the kitchen, above the sink, there's a beautiful antique tile of two white geese flying together that someone gave us as a wedding gift. Near the stove I have a cutout of a nude, a fake bunch of grapes that came as part of some gift wrapping, and a printout of a yantra up on the wall together. There's also the calendar (Islamic art) and a braid of chillis.

Around the "halls" we have: a large piece of brilliant red tissue paper from Chinatown to cover the fusebox & make a sorta fung shui entrance, sometimes I hang up our kite in the hall, two paintings from a friend one of which is good, two drawings of dieties, a Japanese something-or-other DH got that I don't like, and a neat looking picture of DH's hometown. I also have hung an old beaded shawl over our bedroom door.

In the bedroom we have a gorgeous framed thanka of Avolokiteshvara with muted colors, a poster of Manjushri (not my favorite), simple Chinese picture of the Buddha. Oh, and a full length mirror. And a bunch of bookshelves.

Despite all of that, we actually have a fair bit of bare wall, but there's focal points everywhere.
#10 of 26 Old 02-09-2007, 11:17 PM

I love bare walls, too!! I love bare surfaces! We are very minimalist.
#11 of 26 Old 02-09-2007, 11:47 PM
Banned

Murals, made with whatever the kids got their hands on.
For example, next to the computer is a lovely mural done with organic blueberry juice and tiny fingers.
#12 of 26 Old 02-09-2007, 11:58 PM

Since I love to decorate, my walls have a moderate amount of things on them. I don't really like blank walls, but I don't like them cluttered either. Since I decorate in the primitive antique style, I have lots of peg racks, samplers, old cupboards, and in the kitchen I have old kitchenware, bonnets and aprons. I am tired of white walls, though, and hope to get some color up soon!
#13 of 26 Old 02-10-2007, 12:01 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
I have a ridiculous amount of framed pics of dd up. Literally covering all wall space downstairs. I LOVE going into houses that have photos on the walls.
#14 of 26 Old 02-10-2007, 12:13 AM

In this room (living room) ~ framed posters mostly, two Phil Lesh & Friends (one from NYC a year ago and one from Bethel last summer, both gorgeous, shiny & new, in matching black frames); a Blues for Allah poster, in a wood frame; some kid art made by dd many years ago which is autumn leaves in a symmetrical pattern on a black background; a totally awesome, enormous! original painting of a deer and its shadow/spirit; a three-photo frame with school pictures of each one of my sweet dc; framed "student of the week" certificate that ds got some time ago; 1987 Jerry Garcia 13 Nights on Broadway poster (same black frame as the others); this year's Grateful Dead calendar (but it's still on the January page though); a pretty large mirror with a sun/moon design frame; and also in a black frame, a Fillmore West poster from 1967 (that one was a gift, I was not at the concert but I really like the poster).

In the hall, at least the part I can see from here, there are two gold-painted cherubs hanging from the window frame, with a big red heart (made from polymer clay by me) between them, and hanging under them I put five gold apples and four more red clay hearts with glitter sparkle on them. Also in the hall is a mirror and the frame of it is a slice of wood (like cross-section of a medium size tree) irregularly shaped, dark with a glossy finish. Would be a check-yourself-on-the-way-out-the-door mirror except my brother did me a favor and hung it up there when we first moved in, and he's 6" taller than any of us who live here.

The front door has a window in it, which has a curtain hanging from it that used to be a skirt, made from patches of vintage Indian fabric; also some Indian brass bells on a string. Three Chinese coins hanging from a red ribbon on the doorknob.

Also in the hall are some hooks to hang coats on - and some have coats hanging from them.

That's about all I can see from here.
#15 of 26 Old 02-10-2007, 12:42 AM

we've got framed tapestries from india and guatemala, sculpture from mexico, black and white magnum photos taken in our neighborhood, selected wedding photos, and a framed political poster. oh, and family photos -- my parents and grandparents. I don't think it looks like overload in part because the frames have good matting. CAN'T WAIT TO HAVE PHOTOS OF OUR CHILD TO PUT UP!
#16 of 26 Old 02-10-2007, 12:47 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumm View Post
I love bare walls!

My living room has one thing, sometimes we put a wreath over the fireplace. Nothing in the dining room or halls. Two bedrooms have nothing. My bedroom has one hanging. The kitchen is tiny, but has one magnetic wall where all my clutter (phone numbers, schedules, calendars, reminders, etc) hang. Otherwise- nothing.

My parents always say it looks like we just moved in. But in a small house it is nice to have someplace that is not cluttered!
i tried to do the minimalist wall approach here ... small living space here too... but i just couldn't.

bare walls freak me out.

i'm itching to get something -- ANYTHING -- up on the wall leading out of my kitchen. it was our art wall but my dd decided to go from painting on the paper i had hung, to just painting the wall itself. oops.
#17 of 26 Old 02-10-2007, 01:07 AM

Funny we do have pictures of DS on the walls but I like being a minimalist too. I am finding that so hard with all the toys around though!

Mama to (DS 7) and (DD 5), wife to DH

#18 of 26 Old 02-10-2007, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aura_Kitten View Post
i tried to do the minimalist wall approach here ... small living space here too... but i just couldn't.

bare walls freak me out.
One thing that might make bare walls work is a kind of textured paint, with different shades. I've been thinking about this.
#19 of 26 Old 02-10-2007, 01:17 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphinxie View Post
One thing that might make bare walls work is a kind of textured paint, with different shades. I've been thinking about this.
well, yeah, but then they're not bare.

and it wouldn't work in an apartment, unfortunately.
eta - at least not in *mine* ~ it's against the lease to modify the paint.
#20 of 26 Old 02-10-2007, 01:18 AM

Crayon. And some permanent marker.

Gotta get the paint and magic eraser out soon.

Amy ~ Web Designing Single Mom to 4: DD14, DS12, DS5, DS3
#21 of 26 Old 02-10-2007, 01:30 AM

We have a watercolor of the Hatteras light and some random flowery print in the kitchen. In the baby's room, prints of pigs and sheep and chickens (it's a farm theme). All the rest of the art is sitting around waiting for us to decide what color the bedroom will be. Since it's been nearly four years since we moved in, I'm not holding my breath.
#22 of 26 Old 02-10-2007, 02:32 AM

We have "The Kiss," a really old lithograph that dh's grandma gave him, an antique mirror, two framed pics from dh's parents, one print of Quebec City and one of Cleveland, and dd's artwork in the living room.

In the dining room, we have a few things by local New Orleans artists and different shots of the city, and framed family photos.

The kitchen is bare for now. I've got some things in mind, but I'm still working on the paint. "Raspberry" takes several coats, apparently.

In dd's room, where I'm still painting as well, there's a painting by another local New Orleans artist. It has a girl and a woman in it, that dh swears is dd & me.

Our room and ds's are still pretty bare. I'm painting the upstairs AFTER I finish the down, so why bother.

I don't do cluttered, but I like hanging things that we all enjoy.
#23 of 26 Old 02-10-2007, 02:34 AM

There's nothing on my walls except a picture of Our Lady of Guadalupe. We had the house painted . . . a year ago . . . and never hung anything back up. I'm a very deliberate person, and I don't want to put anything up until I have the furniture I want, where I want it. Since we can't afford buying everything I have in mind all at once, that means bare walls for a long time.

But I guess I'm more of a spartan person anyways. I like the "clean" uncluttered look.

Wife to a wonderful dh and mom to four beautiful kiddos, dd (3/04):, ds1 (1/06), ds2 (10/08), and ds3 (7/10)
#24 of 26 Old 05-25-2008, 02:08 AM

We have tons of pictures of Marnie and Zander on the walls in every room.... as well as crafty things that I have picked up at craft sales or that dd has made for me over the years. I have a lot of her pictures from elementary school hanging in my room and she says that it embarasses her that I have them hung up!

Kim, proud CPS mom to Marnie and my 4 legged kids, Jess, Zander, Oliver, Stumpy and Eddie.
#25 of 26 Old 05-25-2008, 02:13 AM

my living room

we removed the coffee table
and the photos above the fireplace are now of my son

kitchen

as you can see from the photo above, not a lot of room to hang anything in the kitchen

we did all the renos in our house ourselves, 'cept the cabinets -- those were bought

I'm not married to the b&w look in the living room. I would like a more traditional look eventually. But not with a soon-to-be-toddler.
#26 of 26 Old 05-25-2008, 02:37 AM

I'm a big fan of Indian bedspreads hung with push pins.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page