Do you wear Make up? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 49 Old 02-10-2007, 03:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm just wondering. I don't wear it. I hate the way it feels on my skin and I don't feel like putting it on in the first place. I've never been into make up. People (mostly family) give me a hard time about it. They say people are not going to take me seriously if I don't where it. That if I go to a job interview not wearing any I'm more than likely not going to get the job. This up sets me. Why do I need to wear it? What is wrong with the way I look that I need it? Yes, I'm very fair skinned and have freckles, but does that mean I need to cover myself up? I honestly don't see how women can spend so much time putting stuff on there skin just for it to rub off in a few hours or it itches or tickles. It is just not me.
#2 of 49 Old 02-10-2007, 03:46 AM

Yes, I wear it - but not every day.

I never wear blush or lipstick (though I love a clear lip gloss!), rarely wear foundation, but I love the way eye makeup (eye shadow, eye liner, mascara) makes me look. I really feel better and present better and am just a jazzed up version of myself - kind of like when you are wearing an outfit that you know you look great in.

So I'd have to agree with the people that say you'd be more likely to be hired if you wear makeup. : But I don't think you need to cover your freckles with foundation. I think eye makeup and lip gloss is a nice middle ground if you aren't already comfortable wearing makeup.
#3 of 49 Old 02-10-2007, 03:49 AM - Thread Starter

Eye make up bugs me the most. I'm always rubbing my eyes when I'm wearing it. Lip gloss is something I do use from time to time (I like the yummy kinds).. I just can't get past the feeling it on my face thing.
#4 of 49 Old 02-10-2007, 03:56 AM

I almost never wear make-up. If I do it is lip-gloss. I hate the way it feels too and I never have time to go through all that anyway!
#5 of 49 Old 02-10-2007, 03:58 AM

Location: dining at the restaurant at the end of the universe
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Never did and never will.

That isn't really true. I have probably put on make-up 6 times in 50 years, and once was even photographed with it. It looked OK, but I can't stand how it feels.

Thoreau (I think) said, "Beware of any enterprise that requires new clothes", and I have extrapolated to include makeup. I worked my way up to management in a major bookstore chain (years ago) and now work for a non-profit, all without make-up. I think if I wore make-up for an interview, I would feel I had to wear it all the time at the job. I guess I don't want that kind of job.

Rhu - mother,grandmother,daughter,sister,friend-foster,adoptive,and biological;not necessarily in that order. Some of it's magic, some of it's tragic, but I had a good life all the way (Jimmy Buffet)

#6 of 49 Old 02-10-2007, 04:41 AM

Very rarely. I think it's icky.
#7 of 49 Old 02-10-2007, 05:00 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I do wear make up, but not every day. I wear mainly a lightweight powder and eyeliner. Sometimes I will wear eye shadow, but rarely.

"The true measure of a man is how he treats a man who can do him absolutely no good."
peace.gif  Embrace the learning that is happening within the things that are actually happening!    
#8 of 49 Old 02-10-2007, 05:18 AM

Mon - Fri for work

not on the weekends

wild.gif  kickin' it old school
#9 of 49 Old 02-10-2007, 05:27 AM

I almost never wear makeup. I hate skin makeup too. I enjoy eye makeup and lipstick for occasional dressing up or fun, but let's face it it doesn't last long... whether it gets rubbed off or goes into creases and looks bad.

It's funny... I would basically assume that a future employer will take me less seriously if I'm wearing makeup. I know I would take myself less seriously! I mean, do men put on makeup for a job interview? No, and it ain't because they're so pretty they don't need it!

Plus, I have experienced enough sexual harrassment in work as it is. I don't need that kind of attitude.
#10 of 49 Old 02-10-2007, 05:31 AM

lipstick and mascara almost everyday. Well everyday that I leave the house anyway.

I don't do face make-up, like blush or shadow unless it's a special occasion like a big party. I haven't worn foundation or all over powder in years, it's so bad for your skin. Just moisturizer and a little concealer under the eyes if I'm going all out. I notice that even though I'm in my 30's my skin looks better and brighter now than it did when I was in my 20's and wore face make up (powder/foundation) daily.
#11 of 49 Old 02-10-2007, 05:32 AM

i wear makeup
light foundation
blush
eyeliner
eyeshadow
mascara

cold.gifme + headscratch.gif him and one littlecat.gifPaco the Taco hoping for one of these  makebabe.gifin the near future

#12 of 49 Old 02-10-2007, 05:34 AM

no.

Liv, SAHM of 3 kiddos 

#13 of 49 Old 02-10-2007, 05:48 AM

I wear a lot of makeup. :

Almost all of it's all natural though, and cruelty free.

I wear:

mineral foundation
highlighting color (Forehead, cheeks, chin, bridge of nose)
blush
lipstick or tinted gloss
eyeshadow
eyeliner
eyebrow pencil or powder
mascara

and I set with a fancy schmancy mist before I do my eyeliner and mascara.
#14 of 49 Old 02-10-2007, 05:56 AM

I wear makeup every day. Not heavy, but definitely makeup. Rarely ever lipstick though, because then I can't kiss my kids! I stopped when ds was first born, and now only wear it when I go out.

I love the way makeup feels, and when I don't wear it I will always get someone asking me if I feel alright, or comment on how tired I look.: But it is a pain, and I love the days when I'm home sick and all I have to do to get ready for bed is brush my teeth!
#15 of 49 Old 02-10-2007, 06:45 AM

No.
#16 of 49 Old 02-10-2007, 07:01 AM

Oceanbaby- if you apply and blot a few times, reapply and blot a few more times, your lipstick will look great and not kiss off on your kids. I don't use it anymore, but Mac lipsticks are excellent for that. One application, a couple blots, and it lasts a long time without kissing off, and it is in regular lipstick form, not the yucky perma-lipstick kind.
#17 of 49 Old 02-10-2007, 07:44 AM

only if i'm going out (which is hardly ever) cos i have a young face and can't pass for over 18

i'm 24 btw

Becky, sahm to angel.gif25/04/2000 Chloe 12/04/2002 Cameron 19/02/2004 Caitlin 28/06/2005 angel.gif24/07/2006 and Caden 14/03/2008

Xander 19/05/2011
angel.gif 19.05.2012 angel.gif 18.08.2012 angel.gif 24.05.2013 angel.gif 25.6.2013 belly.gif 04.09.2014 uc.jpg

#18 of 49 Old 02-10-2007, 10:56 AM

yes. i adore black eyeliner. today i will be wearing false eyelashes. they are my new thing :
#19 of 49 Old 02-10-2007, 11:03 AM

I never wear makeup. I think the last time I wore it was on my wedding day.

Also, I have been offered every job I have ever interviewed for.

Kristina; wife to Max, Mom to Tristan (17) and Zackariah (7) and Lillian (5)
#20 of 49 Old 02-10-2007, 11:21 AM

I love makeup. I love playing with it, and trying new things out, new colors, etc.
I do for daily wear have a natural look...but sometimes I like wearing a deeper shade of lipstick, I love lipstick and mascara most of all.

Dh and I were cracking up the other day, he was watching me put my makeup on and asking me what I was doing with each step. I told him with the powder Im taking all the color out of my face and making it all beige...then I put on blush to put color back on...etc.

For me its just all fun. :
#21 of 49 Old 02-10-2007, 11:22 AM

I wear make up every day. I really like mineral makeup.

I wear foundation every day. On days I want to look nicer I'll use my bronzing beads, and some neutral eyeshadow. If I am being fancy I'll add eye-liner and lipstick.
#22 of 49 Old 02-10-2007, 11:26 AM

I wear it every day and love it. I consider it part of the "armor" I put on to go out into the world. I also consider it a form of creative decoration. But that is just me, I don't care what anyone else does.

As for the job thing,.. I would think it depends on what industry you are in.
No one in my newsroom would give the proverbial rat's butt about whether a candidate was wearing makeup. It is all about skill.

But other industries are more appearance-conscious, and it might matter there. But hopefull you are not trying to get jobs that don't suit who you are. I think it is always a mistake to take a job where you have to pretend to be someone else.
#23 of 49 Old 02-10-2007, 01:42 PM

I don't wear make-up at all, outside of lip balm. It just feels gross to me and no matter how natural or expensive etc I turn into an oil slick. So gross. I also don't moisturize my face for the same reason - and man have I tried everything out there, applied by professionals. Just doesn't work for me. So I stay belmish free by staying away from face products.

I also feel, IMO, that it ages women. I have gorgeous friends and they all wear make-up. But in the past year or two (and these are all super gorgeous and crazy health conscious women) I have noticed that up close the make-up accentuates their lines. As they start to get lines I find the make-up does exactly the opposite fo what they want it to do and this is make-up applied modestly to look very natural and not like make-up. I find the women I know who look the youngest/freshest are those not wearing make-up.

I too have always been offered the job when I've interviewed so I wouldn't worry about not being taken seriously because of no make-up. As another poster put it, men don't wear make-up to interviews and still get hired.
#24 of 49 Old 02-10-2007, 01:46 PM

I dust mineral makeup where I need it, mascara, and I fill in my brows with powder because they are so light blonde I can't see them!
#25 of 49 Old 02-10-2007, 02:24 PM

yep most days. tinted moisturizer & mascara every day that i work & most days in general. i jazz it up occasionally. i'm a lipstick freak & love love love to get new lip colors!!!
#26 of 49 Old 02-10-2007, 02:25 PM - Thread Starter

The whole men don't wear make up but I have to thing really gets my panties in a bunch. If I was getting a job where I have to be in front of a camera then yeah I'll wear it, but as soon as I'm done I'd be washing my face.

I wore make up on my wedding day too... And I hated the way it looked! The woman put so much on I looked like I was about to go on stage for Broadway. I felt so self-conscience the whole time cause it did not feel like me. But she did it as a favor and mil had bought all the make up. She is the one that pushed for me to wear it in the first place (for the pictures).

I use Shea Butter on my face. It does not leave yucky but leaves it feeling soft.
#27 of 49 Old 02-10-2007, 02:30 PM

I don't wear make-up at all. I do use lip balm. I have never worn it and honestly probably wouldn't know how to put it on.
#28 of 49 Old 02-10-2007, 02:32 PM

nope, not really. mostly just chapstick~ burts bees w/ a little color and if I'm feeling really sassy and going out ~ which is *rare*~ I may brush on some mineral powder and some mascara.
But thats the extent of it.

Actually every now and then I 'need a change' and decide I'm gonna start looking put together and grown up and go out and buy some new makeup. That usually lasts a day or two after the purchase.

I also don't paint my nails. I don't like it at all on me.

natural birthin', baby catchin', cloth addicted, intactalactavist mama of 12/00, 6/03, 10/07, 8/10 & our angelcubs three
#29 of 49 Old 02-10-2007, 02:37 PM

#30 of 49 Old 02-10-2007, 02:38 PM

I wear lipstick and powder (I have super-shiny skin) for job interviews, but that's all. I'm not interested in the creative/ "statement" aspect of makeup, and I feel like wearing it just to conform to a norm or to better match the (twisted, IMO) current standard of beauty would be buying into a part of our culture which I despise.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page